Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Gladiator 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99
8 hrs ago
Justice Society: World War II 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
2 hrs ago
Castle of the Creeping Flesh (Blu-ray)
$15.98
1 day ago
My Fair Lady 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96

Justice Society: World War II (Blu-ray)
$22.99
8 hrs ago
Django 4K + Texas, Adios (Blu-ray)
$42.99

Stagecoach (Blu-ray)
$19.53
21 hrs ago
News of the World 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Scare Me (Blu-ray)
$12.99
8 hrs ago
Big Fish 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.50

John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

The Dam Busters (Blu-ray)
$17.99
25 min ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 03-24-2011, 06:35 PM   #1
Power Member

Feb 2007
Default No BD Release for White Collar, Season 2

Quote:
We reported back in September that Amazon.com had begun taking advance orders for a DVD release of White Collar - Season 2, even though Fox Home Entertainment had not formally announced the title at that time. Now Fox has made it official at last! They are showing that this set, costing $49.98 SRP, will be available on June 7th. Bonus material on this set includes: "a spotlight on fan-favorite Mozzie, behind-the-scenes with Matt Bomer, 'White Collar Roasts Burn Notice,' 'Burn Notice Roasts White Collar' and a hilarious gag reel". Package art can be seen below.

Note that there is ONLY a DVD format release this time around; there will not be a high-def Blu-ray Disc version like there was for the first season of this show. Although Fox hasn't provided an official reason for this decision, we've heard through the grapevine that sales of the Blu version for season one were drastically below expectations. If that's the case, then it's clear the studio could not justify producing the new season in the high-def format, especially since BD versions cost more to produce in the first place.
Taken from: http://tvshowsondvd.com/n/15144#ixzz1HXVog000
Old 03-24-2011, 06:43 PM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2009
Carmel, IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by djluis2k6 View Post
no surprise there... Lie To Me, Burn Notice, White Collar... FOX is NOTORIOUS for only releasing select seasons of their shows on BD... again another reason why I can't stand the devil that is FOX
Old 03-24-2011, 06:51 PM   #3
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2008
Champlin, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by threefiftyrocket View Post
no surprise there... Lie To Me, Burn Notice, White Collar... FOX is NOTORIOUS for only releasing select seasons of their shows on BD... again another reason why I can't stand the devil that is FOX
The only reason they never continue releases on BD is becuase of poor sales from the fans. Every time they release a new show on BD you get a few people saying they will buy it and most people saying they will just get the DVD or wait till other seasons are released on BD even though we won't get older seasons if the new one's don't sell well. So it's not fox's fault but the fans fault for never buying them and then complaining when we don't get future seasons on BD.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:53 PM   #4

Dec 2010
Miami

Yeah, when I heard about this the other day ... I was very disappointed. It's really the perfect way to watch White Collar. This is def. a FOX thing, as they have done this for other shows and dropped it if sales didn't too well. I can see Burn Notice, since that show doesn't look as beautiful ... but White Collar is a stunning show to look at it, with the NYC shots and stuff.

Any other studio would continue making the Blu-ray releases regardless of poor sales.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:55 PM   #5
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2008
Boston, MA

Damn it! Just like Damages, I'll sell off my first season and skip buying the DVDs. I tell myself I'll just rent them, but they often just fall off my radar.

Again, if they'd price these more reasonably, more people would buy them. Season 1 was ridiculously overpriced.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:57 PM   #6
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2008
Champlin, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookcase View Post
Damn it! Just like Damages, I'll sell off my first season and skip buying the DVDs. I tell myself I'll just rent them, but they often just fall off my radar.

Again, if they'd price these more reasonably, more people would buy them. Season 1 was ridiculously overpriced.
Yeah that is one area Fox sucks at is pricing shows on BD as they are to expensive for a first day buy.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:59 PM   #7
Blu-ray Count

Nov 2007
Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by threefiftyrocket View Post
Nearly every other studio has done it too though. ABC/Disney did it with Grey's Anatomy and Scrubs. Warner Brothers did it with Nip/Tuck. Sony did it with Rescue Me and Damages. CBS did it with CSI. While Fox is certainly the worst they are at least willing to give many of their shows a chance on Blu-ray, while ABC, NBC, Sony, and CBS only give a select few shows a chance.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:08 PM   #8
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2007
Metropolis

The studios ridiculously overprice television shows on Blu-ray, and then moan when sales are poor. From the beginning I did not expect the show to get a second season on BD. The Blu-ray market is just not big enough on its own to support television releases outside of a few ultra-popular titles like Lost.

They are killing off the DVD sales though, because I refuse to buy a show on DVD that I watched in broadcast HD.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:17 PM   #9
Power Member

Feb 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
The studios ridiculously overprice television shows on Blu-ray, and then moan when sales are poor. From the beginning I did not expect the show to get a second season on BD. The Blu-ray market is just not big enough on its own to support television releases outside of a few ultra-popular titles like Lost.

They are killing off the DVD sales though, because I refuse to buy a show on DVD that I watched in broadcast HD.
Me too. Luckily for me, I have an original Apple TV and I'm able to buy HD content that isn't released on Blu-Ray, like this show, and it looks great so it really doesn't matter to me that there won't be a BD release.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:07 AM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008
KY

I'm very disappointed that we won't get WC season 2 on Blu. How I Met Your Mother also only has 1 season (4) on Blu as well.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:11 AM   #11

Mar 2011

it's really annoying to me that some of my favorite shows are only on dvd. I'm pretty sure that everything will be released on BD eventually just like DVD, but the cost of production probably has to come down a bit.

Here's to hoping that burn notice, house, white collar, the office, how i met your mother, venture brothers, and many many more find their way to BD soon enough. Probably once the series actually end and they need to find a way to get more money out of them. . .

I'm happy HBO, Showtime, and AMC have been good about releasing Blu Rays. Does . . . know about Breaking Bad season 3 at all?

Sorry I ramble.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:54 AM   #12
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2009
PA

I'm not really surprised since they overcharge for shows that don't have a huge audience like Lost, Dexter, Mad Men, True Blood, etc.

Breaking Bad won't be out until probably June. I'm wondering about The Big C, the DVD pre-order is up and hasn't been annouced yet.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:09 AM   #13
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2008
Columbiana, OH
Send a message via MSN to KilloWertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatediesel View Post
Nearly every other studio has done it too though. ABC/Disney did it with Grey's Anatomy and Scrubs. Warner Brothers did it with Nip/Tuck. Sony did it with Rescue Me and Damages. CBS did it with CSI. While Fox is certainly the worst they are at least willing to give many of their shows a chance on Blu-ray, while ABC, NBC, Sony, and CBS only give a select few shows a chance.
It is true that other studios do it too, but Fox is by far the worst in this regard. They released the first season of this at a fairly high price and it never went on sale. I never bought the first season because of that and also knowing Fox probably wouldn't release the second season on Blu-ray. Only releasing one season of a show on Blu-ray and then skipping the rest is nearly useless. It's almost gotten to the point with Fox where they might as well not even bother.

People can say what they want about Warner, but for the most part they really support the shows they distribute by continuing to release most of them and they also go on sale. Even if they don't sell that well, you still get the next season. I also have to give credit to Sony for releasing the first season of Justified for only $25.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:57 AM   #14
Banned

Feb 2010

Yeah and they did the same with prison break.They released season 1 on blu and than skip season 2 and than released season 3 on blu and than skip season 4.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:59 AM   #15
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim Jim View Post
Yeah and they did the same with prison break.They released season 1 on blu and than skip season 2 and than released season 3 on blu and than skip season 4.
I think if you are willing to import them from France, all seasons of Prison Break are available on Blu-ray.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:04 AM   #16
Banned

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
I think if you are willing to import them from France, all seasons of Prison Break are available on Blu-ray.
Will I am waiting for a release in the states because I don't buy anything from anothers country's website I don't trust them
Old 03-26-2011, 04:26 PM   #17
Special Member

May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim Jim View Post
Will I am waiting for a release in the states because I don't buy anything from anothers country's website I don't trust them
Right. Only the USA is trustworthy -- not a single other country. If you're "safe" with using Amazon.com you should have no problem using their French or UK store... being that they're the same company with generally the same policies... I guess the employees in the France division are all liars and cheats... Too bad they're not American based -- because we're all honest...

Back to reality,
Shame about White Collar.

Not expecting The Big C as it's a sony release and they have such an extensive library I can see them deciding this is a "drama" and not worthy of an HD release -- nevermind that LionsGate has has great success with Weeds/Nurse Jackie, etc on BD... also half-hour Showtime series with similar viewership/fans.

Thus far the big issue is the studios are all over the map with BD releases. If they'd occasionally drop the prices like they do with DVD sets and sometimes offer them at 15-25 a season like they are constantly doing with Seasons on DVD... but instead they always hover at the 40+ range. It's not surprise the best selling TV BD titles have been the more reasonably priced ones... Dexter, True-Blood, Weeds, Modern Family, The Walking Dead, Mad Men, Sons of Anarchy, Glee, etc.

The other issue is starting in the middle of a series. Packaged media fans tend to like consistency. Releasing a later season after a string of DVD only earlier seasons... bad idea. I don't want Grey's Anatomy Seasons 1-3, 5+ on DVD but just season 4 on BD. Instead of doing the most current season because it's likely "cheaper" (masters are recently done for broadcast, etc...) how about taking a little time/money to present S1. It's 9 episodes so it can be offered reasonably cheap and that will give people the confidence that 2, 3 and later seasons will get released.

Instead they just put out the latest season and hope it sells. It's clearly not worked for How I Met Your Mother or the swarm of "1 and done" TV on BD titles that have met their maker.

Still sore over DAMAGES but S1 was so amazing I don't mind keeping it. I've got 720p versions of S2 and S3 -- won't bother getting DVDs of those.

Would love to see CBS put out THE GOOD WIFE which is beautifully shot... or NBC with Parenthood which features some gorgeous cinematography.

Crossing my fingers that Warner puts out SHAMELESS on BD.

I don't get the mentality that unless it's an action/adventure show it won't sell well. The Office sold well, The Simpsons... By that mentality nobody would buy a BD of the latest romantic comedy yet generally all recent studio releases regardless of genre get a BD release. It's frustrating because if they handled the titles right and had a decent MSRP they'd more than make a return on their investment but there's clearly a disconnect with the people picking titles for BD and the process of getting them to the public in a way that they'll sell. A shame because it just seems like BD will be reserved for the most "flashy" cable shows which means a lot of good shows will get BD releases (Breaking Bad, Mad Men, etc.) but a lot are going to slip through the cracks likely only ever getting a shot on DVD... which is a shame for anyone who watched an HD broadcast and doesn't want their home video version to be a freaking STEP DOWN in quality...
Old 03-30-2011, 09:31 PM   #18
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2009
Virginia

sold my copy of Season 1 in protest

that and I don't like to keep series that I won't be able to get all of it on blu
Old 04-04-2011, 02:17 AM   #19

Dec 2010

ahhhh! im so upset! i loved season 1 on blu ray and was looking forward to season two.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:32 PM   #20

Dec 2009
USA

Fox is the Devil. They are making money hand over fist and are so short sighted as to what their fanbase wants. Make a stand, price their product right, and lead the way.
Thanks given by:
FourEyes (05-03-2020)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America