Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Black Swan (Blu-ray)
$3.99
2 hrs ago
Godzilla vs. Kong 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.99

Dragonheart: 5-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.96
2 hrs ago
The Father (Blu-ray)
$21.99

Godzilla vs. Kong (Blu-ray)
$34.99
1 day ago
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.49

Dead & Buried 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.99

Eye of the Tiger (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 day ago
Saving Silverman (Blu-ray)
$13.29

Doctor X (Blu-ray)
$17.99
4 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Asia

Old 03-29-2011, 07:55 AM   #1
Contributor

Aug 2007
USA
Taiwan Vive L'amour, Tropical Fish, Terrorizers, The Personals

Sony Music Taiwan releases. April 14 release date for all 4. Mandarin LPCM 2.0 and English subtitles for each. Possibility these releases might be 1080i/60hz (based on "Dust in the Wind" release). I'll update the video resolution when it is confirmed to be 1080p or 1080i/60hz.
Thanks given by:
Gorgon (01-27-2020)
Old 03-29-2011, 08:12 AM   #2
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-
-

I am a very big fan of Tsai Ming-liang, and cannot wait to see how Vive L'Amour looks (even mentioned in the Criterion thread that it is a title Criterion should tackle). The old R1 Fox Lorber SDVD release was horrible. 1080i or not, this is guaranteed to be a serious upgrade.

Edward Yang's Terrorizers I never owned, but the film is fantastic.

Chen Kuo-fu's The Personals I own, and this BD should also be an automatic and serious upgrade.

The only film I have not seen is Tropical Fish, but I will now

Great news

Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 03-29-2011 at 08:14 AM.
Thanks given by:
Gorgon (01-27-2020)
Old 03-29-2011, 11:18 PM   #3
Power Member

Oct 2008

I've been reading about these releases for 6 months or so and wanting them for as long, but now, of course, I can't find the thread (I think it was on the Importforum, which appears to be defunct). Are these Limited editions? I can't seem to find them anywhere but Yesasia, they're not exclusives, are they?
Old 03-31-2011, 11:28 AM   #4

Aug 2010
Eastbourne, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist View Post
I am a very big fan of Tsai Ming-liang, and cannot wait to see how Vive L'Amour looks (even mentioned in the Criterion thread that it is a title Criterion should tackle). The old R1 Fox Lorber SDVD release was horrible. 1080i or not, this is guaranteed to be a serious upgrade.

Edward Yang's Terrorizers I never owned, but the film is fantastic.

Chen Kuo-fu's The Personals I own, and this BD should also be an automatic and serious upgrade.

The only film I have not seen is Tropical Fish, but I will now

Great news

Pro-B
This is excellent news! I have been waiting for the release of Vive for months now, and it is almost finally here. Tsai is my favourite director, and this is the only film of his I haven't seen, as I have been waiting for this Blu-ray edition.

Hopefully we see more of his films on Blu-ray or at least get a decent DVD release, unlike Hole, River, What Time is it There? which all have shoddy NTSC transfers, and the superior PAL editions are only available with French subtitles. Criterion are considering releasing this, or his other films Pro-B? I never thought I would see it happen, and can't see it, but it would be a nice surprise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJS_Blu View Post
I've been reading about these releases for 6 months or so and wanting them for as long, but now, of course, I can't find the thread (I think it was on the Importforum, which appears to be defunct). Are these Limited editions? I can't seem to find them anywhere but Yesasia, they're not exclusives, are they?

Yeasia has a pre-order up, at about 25/$39 which will get you free shipping. But stores like JS DVD or Books.TW who are bound to get them in soon after release might only charge about 13 for the BD, but if I remember correctly from ordering I Don't Want to Sleep Alone from there, it cost me more for the shipping of the DVD than the DVD itself. I think it is about 12 for shipping of one-three DVDs/Blu-ray. So if you are ordering multiple titles, it might be best ordering from Taiwan, but if not, Yeasia might be best for a single title providing it meets the 39$ mark for free shipping.

I haven't seen any of the other titles announced.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:13 AM   #5

Aug 2010
Eastbourne, England

Saw this post on the Criterionforum

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyli
Screencapture samples for all four blu-ray are posted at a Chinese site.

The Terrorizers
Tropical Fish
The Personals
Vive L'Amour
I can't wait for these to become available, and Vive L'amour looks pretty nice! I watched The River last night, and it reminded how great Tsai is, and how I can watch his films over and over again.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:46 AM   #6
Power Member

Dec 2009
United States

Would someone post the link at JSDVD when these become available? $39 each at yesasia is really pushing it.

The screen caps looks great, though.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:59 PM   #7

Aug 2010
Eastbourne, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGW View Post
Would someone post the link at JSDVD when these become available? $39 each at yesasia is really pushing it.

The screen caps looks great, though.
Sure. I'm going to be ordering Terrorizers, Vive L'Amour, and Dust in the Wind (didn't pick it up before). So I will let you know when I find them, as I'm checking every day JSDVD said they would be getting them in next week when I emailed, but didn't give any indicators on the price. I wonder if there will be much difference in the price when shipping is considered, but I hope it is a little cheaper!
Old 04-10-2011, 01:27 PM   #8
Power Member

Oct 2008

For what it's worth (not much), YesAsia is taking nearly 8 US Dollars off Terrorizers and Personals when bought together, same for Fish and Vive L'amour.

Thanks for checking on the JSDVD price Immersion!
Old 04-10-2011, 01:48 PM   #9

Aug 2010
Eastbourne, England

Quote:
For what it's worth (not much), YesAsia is taking nearly 8 US Dollars off Terrorizers and Personals when bought together, same for Fish and Vive L'amour.

Thanks for checking on the JSDVD price Immersion!
Yeah that was a good deal, but it is a shame there is no way of purchasing Terrorizers/Vive together, as those are the two I would like. If that was possible, it would probably be just as cheap as ordering from JSDVD, but if you are interested in the two combo deals it is a decent deal.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:57 AM   #10
Power Member

Oct 2008

JSDVD links (search still doesn't turn up the titles...):

BR.com is blocking the links...I'll list the URLs...add http://

Terrorizers
dvd.jsdvd.com/product_info.php?products_id=26007
Tropical Fish
dvd.jsdvd.com/product_info.php?products_id=26006
Vive L'amour
dvd.jsdvd.com/product_info.php?products_id=26005
The Personals
dvd.jsdvd.com/product_info.php?products_id=26004

Less than 28 US Dollars per disc, I have no idea what the shipping charges are like as I've never purchased from this vendor...anyone have experience?

Last edited by TJS_Blu; 04-18-2011 at 03:02 AM.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:15 PM   #11

Aug 2010
Eastbourne, England

Quote:
JSDVD links (search still doesn't turn up the titles...):

BR.com is blocking the links...I'll list the URLs...add http://

Terrorizers
dvd.jsdvd.com/product_info.php?products_id=26007
Tropical Fish
dvd.jsdvd.com/product_info.php?products_id=26006
Vive L'amour
dvd.jsdvd.com/product_info.php?products_id=26005
The Personals
dvd.jsdvd.com/product_info.php?products_id=26004

Less than 28 US Dollars per disc, I have no idea what the shipping charges are like as I've never purchased from this vendor...anyone have experience?
The shipping charges won't be that cheap. Probably about $14 for 1-3 BDs (0.5kg), so unless you buy a few you almost end up paying as much as the BD. Factor in customs/imports and you might not save that much compared to Yesasia, if you do have to pay import. But if you don't, it will be quite a lot cheaper than Yesasia. but I just ordered Dust in the Wind from them as I didn't really like Vive L'amour when I saw it earlier this week.

http://dvd.jsdvd.com/shipcost.php

Last edited by Immersion; 04-18-2011 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:08 PM   #12
Special Member

Feb 2009

What are peoples thoughts on Tropical Fish and Terrorizers?

These are the two films that I have not seen and am interested.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:20 AM   #13

Jun 2010

Any reviews up for Vive L'Amour? One of my all time favorites... I'm willing to drop the $40 on yesasia, but only if I know it has acceptable subtitles and stellar A/V quality.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:48 AM   #14

Jun 2010

Any reviews on Vive L'Amour?
Old 05-27-2011, 06:40 PM   #15
Special Member

Feb 2009

My order arrived today (all four films) and for anyone that ordered these be warned. They are made out of extremely sensitive recycled paper material. They are pressed to make them hard but very prone to dents and scratches and damage. Mine arrived in pristine condition save for a very slight dent on the bottom corner of The Personals.

The DVD and BD comes in its own fold out case within the larger slip that encases both of them as seen by the images at the top of this thread. There are two screencaps from the movie on the inside, and they use different screencaps for the inside of the DVD and BD case.

They also have spine numbers: Terrorizers (002) Tropical Fish (003) Vive L'Amour (004) The Personals (005)

It is weird that they would do this since Dust in the Wind does not have a spine number and I doubt if they will re-release it in this type of packaging. However, it does give me hope that the next release (as I believe they only confirmed they were going to do 6 releases. And hopefully it will be The River as hinted at in the release of DITW) will get this same type of packaging.

All in all I am very pleased with the packaging and just the overall look of these releases. They have a simple elegance to them, definitely unique.

When I get to delve into the releases themselves (probably get to one tonight) ill put up my impressions of the PQ/AQ that type of stuff.

Last edited by stobbart; 05-27-2011 at 06:43 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:03 PM   #16
Power Member

Dec 2009
United States

Looking forward to your reviews. It's just too much money for me to blind buy.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:28 AM   #17
Special Member

Feb 2009

Ok, I watched Vive L'Amour as I think that is the one most people are interested in, I am a huge Tsai fan myself and also wanted to see this film in its entirety, I had only seen clips before.

PQ: What can I say, it looks absolutely stunning. Detail in dark areas that were non-existent in the DVD was incredible. Tsai's films are photographed in such a dark way that DVD has a hard time replicating what the actual film captures. And here it is on full display, every nook and cranny. Colors are vibrant and consistent and grain is intact.

AQ: Leaps and bounds above the DVD. There is so much background noise and sound effects lost or unclear on the DVD and they are finally afforded breathing room and it really adds to the isolation theme of this film. Where you can literally hear everything the characters are doing and hearing but they fail to talk to one another. Again this film on BD is really like watching a completely different film.

I threw in The Personals just because I had recently watched it on DVD and the same thing can be said about this one as for Vive. Colors, contrast, grain, detail its all there and its beautiful.

I would say if you are a fan of these films then you can buy with complete confidence in the PQ/AQ of these discs. These two films had no supplements what-so-ever and it is probably the same with the other two. These releases are just purely the best way to watch these 4 films. They all have a little 2 minute intro that talks about and shows some restoration efforts that were taken on these release. It is the same clip for all 4, and if that is how much they cleaned up these films then it really is an amazing job they did.

The PS3 does not tell me if it is 1080p or 1080i/60hz but the Mps averages to around 30

Last edited by stobbart; 05-28-2011 at 01:32 AM.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:01 AM   #18
Special Member

Feb 2009

Just found out that the DVD copies included in the sets have a 20-30 minute making of feature on the movie it is from. Also, according to Criterion Forum the next movie that will be released would be Ang Lee's Eat Drink Man Woman

http://www.criterionforum.org/forum/...hp?f=5&t=10900

And here are 20 pictures of the packaging if anyone is interested

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...25132794191057

Last edited by stobbart; 05-29-2011 at 06:07 AM.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:03 AM   #19
Power Member

Dec 2009
United States

Thanks for the encouraging report. I just bought a set. Does the bonus material on the DVDs have English subs?
Old 05-30-2011, 02:50 AM   #20
Special Member

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGW View Post
Thanks for the encouraging report. I just bought a set. Does the bonus material on the DVDs have English subs?

Yes it does!! I was not expecting them to but its fantastic that they are included
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Asia