Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Captain America: 3-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
£40.00

The Predator 4K (Blu-ray)
£22.67

Avengers: Infinity War (Blu-ray)
£10.00

Bumblebee (Blu-ray)
£15.00

Halloween 4K (Blu-ray)
£20.00

Avengers: Infinity War 4K (Blu-ray)
£13.99

Schindler's List 4K (Blu-ray)
£25.00

Mortal Engines 3D (Blu-ray)
£15.00

Schindler's List 4K (Blu-ray)
£20.00

The Meg (Blu-ray)
£10.00

Bumblebee 4K (Blu-ray)
£25.00

Mary Queen of Scots (Blu-ray)
£15.00

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Old 11-30-2014, 10:12 AM   #961
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Either way they aren't going to be uniform anyway.

Even the UK spines are off, some have both BBFC and IFCO age ratings others only have BBFC, and none of them are lined up side by side.
Thanks given by:
Dubliner1 (11-30-2014)
Old 01-09-2015, 06:45 PM   #962
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2010
Hibernia

This may have already been asked in the thread but can anyone tell me if slipcover artwork is identical to the artwork underneath?
Old 01-09-2015, 07:19 PM   #963
Expert Member

Sep 2012
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubliner1 View Post
This may have already been asked in the thread but can anyone tell me if slipcover artwork is identical to the artwork underneath?
Yes it's exactly the same on the few I own.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:25 PM   #964
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2010
Hibernia

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey 6 View Post
Yes it's exactly the same on the few I own.
The exact title I was wondering about is 'Gandhi'. I bought this before Sony started this series with the white slipcovers and was wondering of the re-released version which came with the slipcover had the same artwork as the one below in the picture? (the picture shows the original release on the left with a recently acquired slipcover from the re-release on the right).
I'm just thinking it's different as I thought all of these Sony Collectors releases had white artwork below the slipcover mirroring the slipcover and not brown/orange as in the picture of the bluray (on left) ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03410.jpg (88.0 KB, 65 views)

Last edited by Dubliner1; 01-09-2015 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:57 PM   #965
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

It has the same artwork as the slipcover.
Thanks given by:
Dubliner1 (01-10-2015)
Old 01-09-2015, 08:59 PM   #966
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2010
Hibernia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
It has the same artwork as the slipcover.
Thanks- will try to add/submit different cover art of original release to database
Thanks given by:
blu-sam (10-20-2015)
Old 03-31-2015, 02:10 AM   #967

Feb 2012
UK

I have 1 to 19 in mint condition is anyone Whats these as Gonna sell them off just Message me
Old 06-07-2015, 09:39 AM   #968

Jun 2015
Default Sony classics list full

Has any one got a full list of the Sony classics ( gold writing on white background) as I heard there is now 21 have list for 17 only
Old 06-07-2015, 12:42 PM   #969
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu ray collector View Post
Has any one got a full list of the Sony classics ( gold writing on white background) as I heard there is now 21 have list for 17 only
Remains of the Day
From Here to Eternity
On the Waterfront

Haven't heard about 21.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:45 PM   #970
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2013
Hants, UK

So I was having a quick look on the BBFC site and noticed that not only do Sony have the already-announced Tootsie (Pollack) and a reissue of Kramer vs. Kramer (Benton) lined up (the latter already confirmed to have a white/gold Collector's Edition cover), but they seemingly have a few more in their sights:

L'Avventura (Antonioni)
Macbeth (Polanski)
It Happened One Night (Capra)
Speedy (Wilde)

Is it just me or are these the same HD transfers that Criterion have released, and Sony have realised the UK market would be interested in them? It would certainly seem that way.

No actual confirmation these will be Blu-ray but if On the Waterfront was anything to go by (for example), I should hope so! If this is correct this is very good news - not only was I itching for more Polanski and Antonioni anyway, it means a lot of European collectors won't have to bother with importing the Criterion release (unless they really want the exclusive extras, artwork and booklets, and the Criterion name). They even seem to be porting most of the non-Criterion extras over, which is excellent!

I hope they keep this up as there are several other Sony titles that Criterion have released and I'd very much love to see them hit UK Blu-ray. These are the ones that Sony still have the rights for in the UK that they could potentially release (in order of exciting-ness):

Bottle Rocket (Anderson)
The Last Picture Show (Bogdanovich)
The Fisher King (Gilliam)
Anatomy of a Murder (Preminger)
Five Easy Pieces (Rafelson)
The King of Marvin Gardens (Rafelson)
The Big Chill (Kasdan)
Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion (Petri)
In Cold Blood (Brooks)
3:10 to Yuma (Daves)
Jubal (Daves)

And these were Sony-licensed Criterion titles, but are little bit confusing as to who still owns the rights over here (they could very well revert back to Sony):

Repulsion (Polanski)
Crumb (Zwigoff)
Safe (Haynes)
Vanya on 42nd Street (Malle)
Sundays and Cybčle (Bourguignon)

It would also be likely they would consider porting these over to the UK, which they released themselves in the US (though I understand some of them are Region Free, it would just be nice to see them released over here as well):

Christine (Carpenter)
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (Capra)
You Can't Take it With You (Capra)
Only Angels Have Wings (Hawks)
The Lady from Shanghai (Welles)
Stripes (Reitman)
Ishtar (May)

PS: just realised Speedy (Wilde) is a Harold Lloyd film...I wonder if that means they would consider further Lloyd titles, assuming they had the rights? I'd be happy with any number of Sony ports of Criterion titles, and if they're releasing one Harold Lloyd film there's reason to believe they have the rights for at least one or two more...

Last edited by rapta; 01-11-2016 at 04:04 PM.
Thanks given by:
blurayoliver (01-12-2016), CriterionBlues (01-30-2016), huntauk (01-11-2016), The Maltese Falcon (01-11-2016)
Old 01-11-2016, 05:05 PM   #971
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
Default Sony Collector's Editions [UK]

I can't quite understand how Sony would end up with the rights to L'Avventura. They own The Passenger, but I'm pretty sure they'd have to licence L'Avventura from a third party and that simply doesn't make sense.

Not sure why they're still sitting on the 4K restoration of Scorsese's The Age of Innocence
Old 01-11-2016, 05:19 PM   #972
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2013
Hants, UK

Yeah I dunno, I'm just going by the BBFC site! I'd imagine they figured it was worth it as they had the master and extras...who knows?

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/lavve...ed-value-video
Old 01-11-2016, 07:29 PM   #973
Power Member

Aug 2010

Great news Sony are pulling their socks up if true. Great find Rapta. I'd take the Capra day one, and L'Avventura down the line when there is a lull in new releases of interest.

I'd certainly be interested in some of the other theoretically possible titles too - Safe being the most notable. I bet some would hope for Fright Night - it's been requested numerous times on the Arrow thread over the years! Also they still need to release some of the other Collector's Edition titles which other countries have enjoyed - Donnie Brasco for example.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:06 PM   #974
Special Member

Aug 2015

Would be up for both Macbeth and Speedy if they do indeed get UK releases.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:14 PM   #975
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2013
Hants, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntauk View Post
Great news Sony are pulling their socks up if true. Great find Rapta. I'd take the Capra day one, and L'Avventura down the line when there is a lull in new releases of interest.

I'd certainly be interested in some of the other theoretically possible titles too - Safe being the most notable. I bet some would hope for Fright Night - it's been requested numerous times on the Arrow thread over the years! Also they still need to release some of the other Collector's Edition titles which other countries have enjoyed - Donnie Brasco for example.
Yeah Safe would be great, seeing as the last UK release was a now-OOP Tartan DVD which I didn't manage to get hold of. If they do now have the rights (i.e. Tartan's license lapsed), I reckon they may at least consider it, especially after the popularity of Haynes' most recent film.

I would hope they'd do the same for Bottle Rocket, taking Fox's lead from a few years ago with The Darjeeling Limited (when the popularity of Wes Anderson started to pick up a bit). And The Fisher King...well, with the combination of Terry Gilliam and Robin Williams, let's hope they see some sense (particularly after the latter's death, rest his soul). The others I'd love - The Last Picture Show, Anatomy of a Murder, Five Easy Pieces - are a bit less obvious, but maybe they'd consider at least one or two for their next 'round' of Collector's Editions (I assume that's where these will end up).

As for the ones that might be tied up in rights, Crumb was last with Optimum/StudioCanal so there's that, and Repulsion has been released by both Anchor Bay and Odeon in recent years so who knows what's up with that (it really should have been released by now, as should Cul-de-sac and Knife in the Water). So I'm glad we're at least getting Macbeth, which is a little less known.

I'd be very happy if Sony decide this is a good idea - to release the same HD titles in the UK that they have licensed to Criterion in the past - and keep it up. As I said, it'd both be an inexpensive option not only for Region B collectors, but for Region Free collectors in the UK/Europe (and elsewhere). With Sony, you know you're generally getting great transfers. I doubt they'd be any different from the current Criterion transfers.
Old 01-12-2016, 04:57 PM   #976
Expert Member

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yami View Post
Not sure why they're still sitting on the 4K restoration of Scorsese's The Age of Innocence
Just out of interest, is that restoration the basis for the current blu-ray release in several European countries?
Old 01-16-2016, 02:42 PM   #977

Jan 2016
East Yorkshire

Does anyone know where I can get slipcovers for these? Just ordered Taxi Driver off amazon and it did not come with one.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:35 PM   #978
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2013
Hants, UK

Update on some of these new Sony discs...

Kramer vs Kramer (1980) [Reissue] - February 22nd
Tootsie (1983) - March 14th (there's still a listing for a February 15th release date but I reckon the March date is more likely)
Speedy (1928) - March 14th
It Happened One Night (1934) - March 14th
Grey Gardens (1976) - March 14th (a pleasant surprise, I think you'd agree!)

No sign of L'Avventura, Macbeth or any others yet. Perhaps they're planning on releasing the American titles as part of the Sony Collector's range (blue/white/gold artwork and slipcovers), and the Antonioni and Polanski will be a new range from them?

The biggest addition here is Grey Gardens, which was licensed from Janus Films by Criterion, and I had expected Eureka to upgrade their DVD release at some point (they directly licensed from Maysles Films). The MoC DVD is now OOP and I'm now glad I didn't shell out silly money for it as I can now get this on Blu-ray!

Last edited by rapta; 01-28-2016 at 02:58 PM.
Thanks given by:
Kalvar (01-28-2016)
Old 01-28-2016, 01:38 PM   #979
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009

anyone have an updated list first page is not updated

thanks
Old 01-28-2016, 01:51 PM   #980

Mar 2011
Lewes, East Sussex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikkbradd View Post
anyone have an updated list first page is not updated

thanks
18. The Remains of the Day
19. From Here to Eternity
20. On the Waterfront
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Tags
sony blu ray