Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Noir Archive - Volume 1: 1944-1954 (Blu-ray)
$36.68

The Predator 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Smallfoot (Blu-ray)
$9.99
21 hrs ago
Far from Heaven (Blu-ray)
$19.98
4 hrs ago
Ralph Breaks the Internet (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Crazy Rich Asians (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Sorry to Bother You (Blu-ray)
$9.99

The Meg (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$69.99

The Predator (Blu-ray)
$9.99

The Nun (Blu-ray)
$9.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 10-16-2012, 06:04 AM   #7041
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post
Interesting.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around why these discs are getting scratched to begin with. Even if there is a little debris in the cardboard, that can't be sharp enough to scratch a BD. I've heard people on this site say that they literally struck their discs with a nail and were unable to scratch a BD. So, how these discs are getting scratched by a simple cardboard and/or a little debris is beyond me... And I don't understand why they seem to happen more with this type of packaging. Maybe the factory uses knives to grab the discs and slip them into the sleeves.
Maybe if they had caddies like UMD they wouldn't get scratched.

Only thought of this after finding an old book from 2002/2003 discussing Blu-ray and it mentioned it being an optical disc with a protective caddie that used a blue-violet laser. Never knew that...
Old 10-16-2012, 06:14 AM   #7042
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2010
Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post
Interesting.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around why these discs are getting scratched to begin with. Even if there is a little debris in the cardboard, that can't be sharp enough to scratch a BD. I've heard people on this site say that they literally struck their discs with a nail and were unable to scratch a BD. So, how these discs are getting scratched by a simple cardboard and/or a little debris is beyond me... And I don't understand why they seem to happen more with this type of packaging. Maybe the factory uses knives to grab the discs and slip them into the sleeves.
Could you move this type of discussion to here? To not clog up this thread and it'll be easier to locate.
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=205394
Old 10-16-2012, 09:01 AM   #7043
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2011
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHitter View Post
Awesome boxset. Great transfers, great audio, and very good extras. Have started to re-watch each film.
which movie is ur favourite?
Old 10-17-2012, 02:12 AM   #7044
Special Member

Sep 2009
Los Angeles

just got my set yesterday...

watched raiders and it looked amazing... just as good or better than jaws....e.t was a bit of a dissapointment but still looked really nice.

i watched a few minuted of last crusade which blu-ray.com said looked the best...and that wasnt the case for me... raiders looks better imo..

anyway so i got 3 movies left to watch.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:00 PM   #7045
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2009
Tulsa, OK (but don't hold it against me!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyC View Post
watched raiders and it looked amazing... just as good or better than jaws....
Did anyone ever ascertain what's causing the very obvious and unpleasant video glitch when Indy and Satipo first enter the temple of the idol and get covered in tarantulas? It appeared in the IMAX screening I saw last month and damned if it isn't still present on the Blu-ray. If such a glitch had to happen, I sure wish it would have happened at a more dull moment...

(* sorry if this has already been discussed; with 300+ pages in this thread, please forgive me for not spending the day swimming through them)
Old 10-17-2012, 06:19 PM   #7046
Blu-ray Grand Duke

May 2010
Columbia, MD
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmmaker View Post
Did anyone ever ascertain what's causing the very obvious and unpleasant video glitch when Indy and Satipo first enter the temple of the idol and get covered in tarantulas? It appeared in the IMAX screening I saw last month and damned if it isn't still present on the Blu-ray. If such a glitch had to happen, I sure wish it would have happened at a more dull moment...

(* sorry if this has already been discussed; with 300+ pages in this thread, please forgive me for not spending the day swimming through them)
It was a product of the original film print...I believe the type of lens used in those shots might have been the culprit. Yeah, it's been discussed several times. Since I can't stand spiders I would've loved if those little bastards where CGI'ed right out of existance!
Old 10-17-2012, 06:37 PM   #7047
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickah88 View Post
It was a product of the original film print...I believe the type of lens used in those shots might have been the culprit. Yeah, it's been discussed several times.
I'll be damned. I thought your answer was mad, but I just checked out my 2003 DVD and, you're right, it's been there all along! The fidelity of the image was just so lo-def, though, I've never noticed it until now. 1080p really makes it unpleasantly obvious. What a weird, weird artifact. I can't imagine how the camera lens would contribute to that effect, especially when it clears up after only a minute, but who knows? Well, thanks for at least helping me to confirm it's not a problem with this remaster, which is absolutely breathtaking next to those old DVDs...sorry to retread old ground, everyone...
Old 10-17-2012, 08:34 PM   #7048
Special Member

May 2009

Quote:
I can't imagine how the camera lens would contribute to that effect, especially when it clears up after only a minute, but who knows?
It wasn't the lens. The lateral film motion (side-to-side) you see was likely caused by a pin registration problem with the film and its perforations as it went through the film gate in the motion picture camera. The pins and those four perforations per frame on either side of where the image is exposed are the only things keeping the film steady. There are two registration pins in the camera -- one of them may have malfunctioned, or possibly, the perforations themselves ripped. Here is more from Wikipedia:

Quote:
In certain "professional" motion picture cameras and "step" printers, there may be two registration pins: one is called the "big pin" and it is employed for primary (axial and lateral) registration while the other one is called the "little pin" and it is employed for secondary (axial) registration. With the "big pin"/"little pin" concept, it is not required to employ side pressure or other means to guide the film through the intermittent movement with absolute precision as the "big pin" is fully fitting in the perforation (the "little pin" is not fully fitting in width, but is fully fitting in height; this difference accommodates slight changes in the dimensions of the film media due to changes in relative humidity and possibly other factors such as media age).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registration_pin
Based on this, I think it's possible the "big pin" may have malfunctioned, leaving only the "little pin" which as described above, doesn't have the full width to fully fit the perforation, resulting in unwanted side-to-side motion during exposure.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:37 PM   #7049
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Everett View Post
It wasn't the lens. The lateral film motion (side-to-side) you see was likely caused by a pin registration problem with the film and its perforations as it went through the film gate in the motion picture camera. The pins and those four perforations per frame on either side of where the image is exposed are the only things keeping the film steady. There are two registration pins in the camera -- one of them may have malfunctioned, or possibly, the perforations themselves ripped. Based on this, I think it's possible the "big pin" may have malfunctioned, leaving only the "little pin" which as described above, doesn't have the full width to fully fit the perforation, resulting in unwanted side-to-side motion during exposure.
Thank you! That explains a lot, and would certainly better describe this particular effect than an issue with the lens.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:33 AM   #7050
Special Member

Oct 2008

THANK YOU for bringing up that anomoly, Filmmaker, and for the explanations, rickah88 and Maxwell Everett! I saw the same blur in the spider scene at the IMAX screening and was just as confused as Filmmaker was by it. Now I won't be so annoyed seeing it on my Blu-ray set when they arrive from the UK.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:38 AM   #7051
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone2HiDef View Post
THANK YOU for bringing up that anomoly, Filmmaker, and for the explanations, rickah88 and Maxwell Everett! I saw the same blur in the spider scene at the IMAX screening and was just as confused as Filmmaker was by it. Now I won't be so annoyed seeing it on my Blu-ray set when they arrive from the UK.
I'm just amused to discover it's always been there and we've always seen it but it's only now that the resolution is high enough for us to actually note it!
Old 10-18-2012, 12:47 AM   #7052
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukraj View Post
which movie is ur favourite?
Raiders! Although I really do enjoy Doom and Last Crusade. I even liked Kingdom better this time around.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:59 AM   #7053
Special Member

Oct 2008

Quote:
I'm just amused to discover it's always been there and we've always seen it but it's only now that the resolution is high enough for us to actually note it!
Agreed. I remember seeing that up on the IMAX screen and seriously getting ready to talk to management about it, thinking it was something the theatre did wrong, at the end of the movie. But then, the rest of the film was not only error free and looking awesome, but I just got lost in watching the story all over again. That softened the shock of seeing it, but it's obviously still been on my mind ever since.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:11 AM   #7054
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2010

I FINALLY got around to watching one of the movies in this set and I picked Temple of Doom. I just saw Raiders in theaters not too long ago so I didn't need to watch that one right away.

Temple of Doom looked awesome in hi-def and I definitely enjoyed the movie more this time than the last time I watched it (I dunno why... for whatever reason it kind of rubbed me the wrong way last time I watched it lol).

I'll be watching Last Crusade next which I'm REALLY looking forward to!
Old 10-18-2012, 02:13 AM   #7055
Banned

Jul 2007
Hollywood

Quote:
I noticed it on my old Laserdisc, and in theaters. Not sure if I ever watched my DVD though.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:40 AM   #7056

Jan 2009
Montréal, QC

Ok so I received my UK box set yesterday and watched Raiders last night. I'm quite satisfied with the PQ. The orange tint is slightly apparent in some scenes, but people who are not aware will not notice them. The Nazi flags were more red than orange on my TV so things are good. I think it is imperative to have a calibrated TV to lessen the orange tint or whatever you call it.

I'm also very happy that I bought the UK set and I can say that not only do I not have a scratch, but my viewed discs don't have finger prints either.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:03 AM   #7057

Sep 2011

I got my UK set delivered on Tuesday. I would have posted that sooner but I kept missing this thread on the front page. Anyway, it looks great and every disc is scratch-free. And I have the option to choose Norsk as my language. So I got that going for me, which is nice.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:06 AM   #7058
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Clay View Post
I got my UK set delivered on Tuesday. I would have posted that sooner but I kept missing this thread on the front page. Anyway, it looks great and every disc is scratch-free. And I have the option to choose Norsk as my language. So I got that going for me, which is nice.
Great avatar!
Old 10-20-2012, 04:10 AM   #7059
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2012
USA

Received my UK set the other day and watched Raiders yesterday. Was planning on just sampling the bar fight scene to hear what those gunshots are supposed to sound like, but decided instead to just watch the whole movie.

Sound and picture were absolutely incredible. Not like it was a brand new movie, but like seeing a fresh print on opening day in 1981.

I'll admit I haven't seen Raiders as much as some people in this thread, but I have seen it many times on VHS over the years, compared to only once on DVD, and the Blu-ray's color timing definitely reminded me more of the VHS, and much more natural.

Can't wait to see the rest, even willing to give Kingdom of the Crystal Skull another chance.

Last edited by Thomas Guycott; 10-20-2012 at 04:22 AM.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:57 AM   #7060
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2008

I was going to wait for the individual releases to avoid KOTCS but I gotta say...this is a great set. Picture and sound are top notch and the extras are really worthwhile for a change. If you avoided this set because of KOTCS I urge you to reconsider or at least wait for a price drop to take the sting out of buying a movie you don't really want. I doubt the extras will be available with the single sets if they ever surface.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America