Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Big Fish 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.50
1 hr ago
Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96
8 hrs ago
Rita Hayworth: Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99
1 day ago
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

Gladiator 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 day ago
Neo Ultra Q (Blu-ray)
$8.99

Mission: Impossible: The Original TV Series (Blu-ray)
$79.99
6 hrs ago
Lake of Satan / Vampire's Night Orgy (Blu-ray)
$14.77
14 hrs ago
Rick and Morty: The Complete Seasons 1-4 (Blu-ray)
$66.50
3 hrs ago
Krull (Blu-ray)
$5.99
1 day ago
Braveheart 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 day ago
My Hero Academia: Season Four: Part Two (Blu-ray)
$34.34

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers

Old 09-23-2007, 05:36 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Feb 2007
Default Have an old school receiver (non-HDMI) and want Lossless audio??

You still may be able to hear Uncompressed PCM, Dolby TrueHD, or DTS-HD Master with your older model receiver. (by "old school", I mean non-HDMI)

For those of you who have a standalone bluray player (not the PS3, as it does not have multichannel analog output)...there is hope for you yet.

I am posting this for those who are not very tech savy. For those who may be using an optical cable still, and have no idea that lossless audio can be achieved even with older model receivers. To cut to the chase...

if your receiver has mutlichannel analog inputs...then you can hear lossless audio. You will need to buy 3 sets of these analog cables. Just connect to your bluray player, and you will have lossless audio in no time.

This thread is intended for those who do not have an HDMI receiver but do have a Bluray player with Multichannel Analog outputs and an old school receiver with analog in's.

I know this is fairly common knowledge but there are still those out there who have no idea. And Im all about bringing everyone the best blu experience possible. This can work for audio in conjunction with component cables to the receiver, or even HDMI directly to the TV for video and the analog cables to the receiver for audio. So stop using optical, and get with the HD audio.

EDIT: TrueHD and Dts-HD can only be passed as Bitstream using an HDMI cable. For Multichannel Analog you would need a Bluray player with Internal decoding capabilities (into Linear PCM).

(ps. Upgrade to an HDMI receiver! )

Additional Info:

Calibrating Your Audio With an SPL Meter

Last edited by crackinhedz; 03-05-2008 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:44 PM   #2

Sep 2007
Default PCM is the only way to go for me!!

Where were you 5 weeks ago when I needed this info!!

Anyway I second this info.

I have a HTPC and use both Optical and Multichannel.

Multichannel...........rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PCM is the only way to go for me!!
Old 09-23-2007, 03:08 PM   #3
Special Member

Jul 2007
Singapore

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackinhedz View Post

(ps. Upgrade to an HDMI receiver! )
Some purist might prefer to use the analog output instead of audio over HDMI

Or in some cases, I use separates (amps and processors) and do not wish to have a receiver so analog is the way to go until more processors are out to support it over HDMI then maybe I will look to upgrade. I only wish the PS3 had 5.1 analog outputs.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:26 AM   #4

Nov 2007
BC

thanks for the post... i wish i found this sooner too.

So, I should be able to hear Dolby TrueHD via the analog output of my sony BDP-S300?
Old 12-01-2007, 07:47 AM   #5

May 2007
wayne, nj
Send a message via AIM to devils3023

Quote:
Originally Posted by vltor View Post

So, I should be able to hear Dolby TrueHD via the analog output of my sony BDP-S300?
Yup, as long as the player can decode dolby trueHD, which i believe it can, then your all set. Basically, the player is decoding the audio, converting it to lpcm and sending it to the receiver. The receiver applies no processing to the signal, and just amplifies it. Definitely a step up from dolby digital via optical, but not quite as good as sending the audio bitstream to the receiver for decoding and processing via hdmi.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:53 AM   #6
Special Member

Jul 2007
Singapore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vltor View Post

I do not know the specifics of your player but you should be able to decode Dolby TrueHD and then output it via 5.1 analog outputs to your receiver. You may lose some processing ability depending on your receiver. For example, my processor acts purely analog pass through via the analog inputs so it will not process the individual speaker levels, distance settings, etc.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:05 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Feb 2007

I do not believe the S300 has TrueHD decoding ability just yet?
Old 12-01-2007, 07:10 PM   #8

Nov 2007
BC

Ah ok, thanks for the replies!
Then I'm currently outta luck as the bdp-s300 can't decode TrueHD. So, if in the meantime, if I want HD audio like TrueHD or DTS-HD, I'll need a BD player that can decode it.

Sounds like I'll need to upgrade my av receiver sooner rather than later or get a BD player that can decode like the Samsung BDP-1400. I've also read rumors that a firmware update is coming that'll allow the s300 to decode...

Last edited by vltor; 12-02-2007 at 01:00 AM.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:09 AM   #9

Oct 2007

aw well darn it, i have a PS3! grrrr...
Old 01-08-2008, 05:22 PM   #10

Dec 2007
Ottawa, ON, Canada

Thank you for the info. Do you know if this will work with the new Sharp BluRay players?

Thank you
Old 01-08-2008, 05:41 PM   #11
Super Moderator

Feb 2007

yes, looking at the Sharp BD-HP20U it has 5.1 Multichannel Analog output.

"Analog Audio Output (Multi CH) x6 = (5.1)"

It looks to have onboard decoding of Dolby TrueHD, and Dts-HD (im assuming it means High Resolution only, not Master...but I cannot confirm.)
Old 01-08-2008, 06:01 PM   #12

Dec 2007
Ottawa, ON, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackinhedz View Post
yes, looking at the Sharp BD-HP20U it has 5.1 Multichannel Analog output.

"Analog Audio Output (Multi CH) x6 = (5.1)"

It looks to have onboard decoding of Dolby TrueHD, and Dts-HD (im assuming it means High Resolution only, not Master...but I cannot confirm.)
Sorry to be a pain, crackinhedz, but I have another question for you. I am new to this technology, so please bear with me.

With these connections (I have a Yamaha 5850), what do I select on my receiver in terms of input, if any (CD, DVD, TV, etc.) or is this automatically play when I play a Blu-Ray?

Again, I aplogize for my lack of knowledge, but I would really like to know how to set this up properily. Also, is TRUHD better sounding than "old school" DTS?

Thank you
Old 01-08-2008, 06:06 PM   #13

Dec 2007
Ottawa, ON, Canada

Thank you for the quick reply.

I have another question. Is TRUEHD better sounding than "Old School" DTS? Also, once I have this set up, what do I select on my receiver (Yamaha 5850)? Is it CD, DVD, TV, etc, or does it work just by playing a disk automatically?

Once again, thank you for your quick reply.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:15 PM   #14
Super Moderator

Feb 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drock1 View Post
Thank you for the quick reply.

I have another question. Is TRUEHD better sounding than "Old School" DTS? Also, once I have this set up, what do I select on my receiver (Yamaha 5850)? Is it CD, DVD, TV, etc, or does it work just by playing a disk automatically?

Once again, thank you for your quick reply.

Yes, TrueHD is better sounding than standard compressed audio (dts and dolby digital). Dolby TrueHD and Dts-HD Master are bit-for-bit identical to the studio master.

To set up Multichannel Analog it may be in the Input button configuration options...or you might have a "Multi. Ch" button on the Receiver remote...(read your receiver user manual)
Old 01-08-2008, 06:16 PM   #15

Dec 2007
Ottawa, ON, Canada

Perfect.

Thanks again
Old 01-08-2008, 06:22 PM   #16

Dec 2007
Ottawa, ON, Canada

Yes, it is the MultiChannel in.

Another question, if I may...
I noticed that the multichanel inputs are the typical red and white coloured cables, for the left and right, but what type of cables should I use for the "Centre" and "Subwoofer"? Can I use the same type (red and white) for these as well, or do they have to be another type?

You have been a great help, crackinhedz, and I really appreciate your input.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:27 PM   #17
Super Moderator

Feb 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drock1 View Post
Yes, it is the MultiChannel in.

Another question, if I may...
I noticed that the multichanel inputs are the typical red and white coloured cables, for the left and right, but what type of cables should I use for the "Centre" and "Subwoofer"? Can I use the same type (red and white) for these as well, or do they have to be another type?

You have been a great help, crackinhedz, and I really appreciate your input.

...any standard RCA cable will work for all channels.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:02 PM   #18

Jan 2008

Excellent info! I'm new to this stuff, so thanks for breaking it down for guys like me.

Does the PS3 have the potential to decode TrueHD and send it PCM to my receiver? Is it as simple a firmware update?

What if my receiver doesn't have HDMI in, only HDMI out. Can PCM be carried any way other than HDMI?

And finally, why does this stuff have to be so complicated?
Old 01-08-2008, 09:34 PM   #19
Super Moderator

Feb 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
Does the PS3 have the potential to decode TrueHD and send it PCM to my receiver? Is it as simple a firmware update?
Well Mike, the PS3 can and does decode Dolby TrueHD. Unfortunately the only way to output it from the PS3 is by HDMI cable. (you could use optical, but would only get 2.0 PCM stereo sound). Multichannel Analog output is not possible from the current PS3 hardware, and no update can change this. So if you have a PS3 and an older receiver, unfortunately you will need to upgrade the receiver.

Quote:
What if my receiver doesn't have HDMI in, only HDMI out. Can PCM be carried any way other than HDMI?
Optical cable, but again, it will only be in 2.0 stereo. (Front Left/Right speakers)

Try it out...set the PS3 optical output to Linear PCM, then select the Dolby TrueHD audio track in the movie. You will only get stereo sound, but you may or may not like how it sounds?

Quote:
And finally, why does this stuff have to be so complicated?
Once you start to get an understanding of the basic concepts...its really not that bad. Unfortunately technology is evolving super fast, making it hard to keep up with. You gotta take it one lesson at a time!

Last edited by crackinhedz; 01-08-2008 at 09:41 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:24 PM   #20

Jan 2008

Thanks again for the help.

My PS3 is still unopened. I was waiting till the weekend to hook it up. Now I think I may return it for the Sharp BD player.

I wish I could hear difference between HD and compressed audio first, before I make a decision that will likely end in regret. My speakers aren't fancy, HD audio might not sound any better on my set-up.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers