Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Animal House 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96
10 hrs ago
Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.99
1 day ago
The Unholy (Blu-ray)
$22.99
10 hrs ago
Space Jam 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.99

Ringu Collection (Blu-ray)
$51.50
1 day ago
The Faculty (Blu-ray)
$7.99
7 hrs ago
Godzilla vs. Kong 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.99

Drive (Blu-ray)
$27.99

RahXephon: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$89.99
1 day ago
Dragonheart: 5-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$77.97

Parks and Recreation: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$74.99
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 10-07-2011, 03:46 AM   #141
Power Member

Oct 2008
Northern Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by ungood View Post
if i were to get over the sync issues and just go by quality of audio detail, is it still buy worthy? it's not really crucial for me to watch a concert video as long as it sounds good and i could just have it on full blast while ironing my clothes or doing other stuff
I watched it again today and I still can't find anything out of sync. I'm using the DTS HD MA and the PCM 5.1 tracks. The stereo track doesn't sound as good as the others so if it's out of sync with that track I don't mind. The sound quality is fantastic by the way. I think it blows the Reading 92 DVD away, in terms of picture and sound quality.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:13 AM   #142

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
I bought it and don't regret it at all. It's an amazing concert video not just for fans but the preservation of rock n roll history itself. It's that good!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Balls View Post
I watched it again today and I still can't find anything out of sync. I'm using the DTS HD MA and the PCM 5.1 tracks. The stereo track doesn't sound as good as the others so if it's out of sync with that track I don't mind. The sound quality is fantastic by the way. I think it blows the Reading 92 DVD away, in terms of picture and sound quality.
thanks guys, that's enough to put me over the hump of deciding this is worth getting, flaws and all. i am kinda curious as to what type of blu-ray player and sound system you both are running?
Old 10-07-2011, 04:19 AM   #143

Oct 2011

Okay, for those of you saying that the sync problem is because of the film, please think again.

There is no audio in the film... there is film and then there is tape. You put the two together and you have an audio/visual experience. The fact that VEVO had the concert fine, and the regular DVD has the concert fine, indicates that the origin of the error is somewhere within the compiling of the blu-ray disc. So the error is in the discs.

Now, for those of you saying the sync issue isn't enough to complain about, you've probably never played a drumset. Grohl is a full two beats off. That is, when the audio hits the bass, Grohl is hitting the snare. This is entirely distracting, and if you don't think so then you're not very perceptive.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:36 PM   #144
Power Member

Oct 2008
Northern Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatterbrain View Post
Okay, for those of you saying that the sync problem is because of the film, please think again.

There is no audio in the film... there is film and then there is tape. You put the two together and you have an audio/visual experience. The fact that VEVO had the concert fine, and the regular DVD has the concert fine, indicates that the origin of the error is somewhere within the compiling of the blu-ray disc. So the error is in the discs.

Now, for those of you saying the sync issue isn't enough to complain about, you've probably never played a drumset. Grohl is a full two beats off. That is, when the audio hits the bass, Grohl is hitting the snare. This is entirely distracting, and if you don't think so then you're not very perceptive.
I'm sorry but, I would notice it being that far out of sync. I've looked at when Dave crashes cymbals, when kurt opens his mouth to sing, chord changes, etc. and it is all in sync from what I can tell. Can you give me an example so I can try to spot the sync issue? Or are you claiming that the whole show is out of sync?
Old 10-07-2011, 03:08 PM   #145

Jun 2011

I`m gonna be happy in a few weeks when I quit seeing this friggin album everywhere.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:04 PM   #146

Oct 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Balls View Post
I'm sorry but, I would notice it being that far out of sync. I've looked at when Dave crashes cymbals, when kurt opens his mouth to sing, chord changes, etc. and it is all in sync from what I can tell. Can you give me an example so I can try to spot the sync issue? Or are you claiming that the whole show is out of sync?
Where do you live? I read that people in Europe got functional copies. You may very well have one of those copies, even if you live in the US. I've noticed that on mine, one of the camera shots is in sync, but the one that's pretty miserable is the close ups of Grohl. Aneurysm is a great song to spot the issues, the second song on the DVD.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:55 PM   #147

Oct 2011
Michigan

Aneurysm is by far the easiest to notice the sync issues. It's a shame because everything else about it fantastic.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:23 PM   #148

Oct 2011

I haven't really bothered to try out the other songs, I called it quits after the unwatchable issues in Aneurysm. I hear they're all fine, is that true?
Old 10-09-2011, 12:06 AM   #149

Oct 2011

Okay, so I went back to Best Buy and returned the Blu Ray, exchanging it for the DVD version. (got 3 dollars back, score!) As was said before (I think), the DVD has absolutely no sync issues. I'm pumped! I was hesitant to sacrifice Blu Ray for standard def, but in the end, it's really not bad at all. And I have a 46" Samsung TV. The quality is fine, and obviously I can see the difference, but it's not a huge change. I recommend trading in the Blu-Ray for the DVD, unless you want to wait awhile for a possible reissue of the Blu-Ray, if that even happens.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:00 AM   #150
Power Member

Oct 2008
Northern Illinois

I bought my copy at Best Buy in Rockford Illinois. I have watched it several times and even Aneurysm looks to be in sync to me. I honestly don't see it!
Old 10-10-2011, 01:41 PM   #151

Apr 2010
Dublin, Ireland

My Nirvana Blu also has sync issues with Grohl drumming.
European version too bought here in Ireland.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:15 AM   #152
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bam Bam Mickey View Post
My Nirvana Blu also has sync issues with Grohl drumming.
European version too bought here in Ireland.
...damn.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:11 PM   #153
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
Deep inside your fever-dream.

Seeing all the happiness in this thread, I'm glad I held out on buying.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:36 PM   #154

Feb 2007
Oslo,Norway

The whole show is out of sync on my equipment. Bought the disc from play.com. Very annoying.
Is Universal going to do something about this ?
Old 10-13-2011, 04:55 AM   #155
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-
-

Quote:

I've spent the last couple of days looking at this disc, and here are my thoughts (and I will have them in the upcoming review).

1. There are definitely some small sync issues. For example, they are very obvious if you keep a close eye on Dave during Aneurysm. Unlike what you have written above, however, he is not two full beats off. He is approximately 1/3 of a second off.

2. The really strange thing is that these sync issues are noticeable only during selected songs, and during close-ups coming from one specific camera. The rest of the footage is not off. For example, if you examine closely the various close-ups during Polly, you will see that Kurt's lips are moving perfectly in sync with the audio. Another example where Dave is perfectly in sync with the audio is the first close-up in Territorial Pissings.

3. If there was a massive sync problem due to a defect that occurred during the creation of the transfer, then the sync problem would be obvious during the entire film. Very clearly this isn't the case - which is why everyone is so confused - because the footage that isn't coming from that one camera that follows Dave during Aneurysm clearly isn't off.

4. I could only speculate that some of the sync issues I described above are also present on this new master that was apparently created, but I am also wondering exactly how the film was shot, and I don't mean the technical details; rather, who were the camera men and how the footage was put together.

5. All in all, I would speculate that a lot of the tiny sync issues that you see are part of the film. (Remember, this show was recorded on 16mm film, and by all means it is a pretty rough job). Had these "issues" appeared on one of those Eagle Rock Entertainment standard releases where you have 1080i "live" transfers, then I would be a lot more concerned.

6. And one last note, anyone grading the image quality low does not know what he/she is looking at. The transfer is very good. This is how 16mm looks.

Pro-B

Edit:

Quote:
I've noticed that on mine, one of the camera shots is in sync, but the one that's pretty miserable is the close ups of Grohl. Aneurysm is a great song to spot the issues, the second song on the DVD.
A-ha...I just saw this post. Bingo!

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 10-13-2011 at 05:09 AM.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:43 AM   #156
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011

[Show spoiler]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist View Post
I've spent the last couple of days looking at this disc, and here are my thoughts (and I will have them in the upcoming review).

1. There are definitely some small sync issues. For example, they are very obvious if you keep a close eye on Dave during Aneurysm. Unlike what you have written above, however, he is not two full beats off. He is approximately 1/3 of a second off.

2. The really strange thing is that these sync issues are noticeable only during selected songs, and during close-ups coming from one specific camera. The rest of the footage is not off. For example, if you examine closely the various close-ups during Polly, you will see that Kurt's lips are moving perfectly in sync with the audio. Another example where Dave is perfectly in sync with the audio is the first close-up in Territorial Pissings.

3. If there was a massive sync problem due to a defect that occurred during the creation of the transfer, then the sync problem would be obvious during the entire film. Very clearly this isn't the case - which is why everyone is so confused - because the footage that isn't coming from that one camera that follows Dave during Aneurysm clearly isn't off.

4. I could only speculate that some of the sync issues I described above are also present on this new master that was apparently created, but I am also wondering exactly how the film was shot, and I don't mean the technical details; rather, who were the camera men and how the footage was put together.

5. All in all, I would speculate that a lot of the tiny sync issues that you see are part of the film. (Remember, this show was recorded on 16mm film, and by all means it is a pretty rough job). Had these "issues" appeared on one of those Eagle Rock Entertainment standard releases where you have 1080i "live" transfers, then I would be a lot more concerned.

6. And one last note, anyone grading the image quality low does not know what he/she is looking at. The transfer is very good. This is how 16mm looks.

Pro-B

Any kind of sync issue is unacceptable.
Sync issues distract me so much that I couldn't enjoy the Blu-ray...even
if they don't occur during the whole film.
By the way...I watched the VEVO stream of the concert >>> there were
NO sync issues. All close-ups of Dave Grohl and everything else was in sync.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:06 AM   #157
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post
[Show spoiler]

Any kind of sync issue is unacceptable.
Sync issues distract me so much that I couldn't enjoy the Blu-ray...
That's too bad. Then you should stay away from buying Spaghetti Westerns and Italian/French crime films from the 60/70/early 80s.

As I said, it is virtually impossible to believe that small portions of certain solos in certain songs would be out of sync, but the rest of the footage won't be.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:52 AM   #158
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011

Again >>> there were NO sync issues when I watched the concert
on the VEVO YouTube channel.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:19 AM   #159
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-
-

I am sorry. You did not know about the "issues" before the streaming, so allow me to be a skeptic here and just say that more than likely you did not know where to look for them.

By the way, do you have the disc with you?

There are some pretty wild exaggeration in this thread. The sync "issues" are not two full beats off and most definitely the whole disc isn't out of sync.

Thanks.

Pro-B
Old 10-13-2011, 09:44 AM   #160
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist View Post
I am sorry. You did not know about the "issues" before the streaming, so allow me to be a skeptic here and just say that more than likely you did not know where to look for them.
I did know about the issues before the streaming and I watched it in order to find out whether the VEVO YouTube clip had the same sync problems or not.
I paid extra attention to Dave Grohl.
I can say with absolute certainty that there were NO sync issues. The snare hits, cymbal hits, tom and floor tom hits...everything was perfectly in sync.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Tags
nirvana, paramount