Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$79.96
1 day ago
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99

Supernatural: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$289.99

My Hero Academia: Season Four: Part Two (Blu-ray)
$34.34
1 day ago
Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Bad Boys for Life 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Wonder Woman 1984 (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Fast Times at Ridgemont High (Blu-ray)
$29.49

Hammer Films: The Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$45.99

Crazy Samurai: 400 vs. 1 (Blu-ray)
$16.99

The Swordsman (Blu-ray)
$14.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 02-19-2012, 11:48 PM   #1
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2010
Frogmorton
Default Frogmort's HT Pad

Finally!

I've been working on setting up a dedicated HT room for about a month and a half now, and I guess it's time to start my own thread. I still have a lot to do before it's finished, if that ever happens, but here's where I'm at right now.

Equipment:

Epson 6500UB projector
130" DIY painted projector screen
Onkyo TX-NR809 AVR
Panasonic DMP-BD65 BD player

Home Theater Direct Level Three center
Home Theater Direct Level Three bookshelves (x2) mains
Polk Audio M10 (x4) side & rear surrounds

Boston Acoustics HPS-12HO sub
Acoustic Audio HD-SUB12 sub

Monoprice:
12AWG speaker wire
24AWG HDMI cables
RG6 subwoofer cables

I really need to get a good power conditioner asap. Right now, I just have a surge protector plugged into another surge protector. I also plan to eventually upgrade all of my surround speakers to HTD Level Three dipoles.

I welcome all input including constructive criticism. I have some pretty thick skin, so don't be bashful.

Wecome!

Last edited by frogmort; 08-16-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:55 PM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2007
South Dakota

Congrats! Looks good.

What kind of material did you use for the black fabric?

Also, check this thread out for your power conditioner needs.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=193673
Old 02-19-2012, 11:57 PM   #3
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2010
Frogmorton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew664 View Post
Congrats! Looks good.

What kind of material did you use for the black fabric?

Also, check this thread out for your power conditioner needs.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=193673
Thanks Drew. I just used black flat bed sheets from Wally World. $5 each.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:14 AM   #4
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

what does (HTD) Home Theater Direct Level three supposed to mean?
Old 02-20-2012, 12:15 AM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2007
South Dakota

So how big of a screen are you currently using?

Good idea to measure twice, cut once on putting up a frame. Personally, I'd go as big as it fits, but then that may not fit the space very well based on where you sit.

I also like your equipment rack/Blu Ray storage space behind you. Obviously functional, but sprucing it up and putting some nicer wood/shelving would help the overall sharpness. Since you have dedicated space, I would also seriously consider some room acoustics.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:18 AM   #6

Aug 2008
Pacific Northwest

Evening Joe and welcome to the HT threads

From the pics I've seen so far it is coming along great
Old 02-20-2012, 12:54 AM   #7
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2010
Frogmorton

HTD is an internet direct speaker company. Big Daddy recommended them to me. Their level three speakers are their best, and have ribbon tweeters.

I am projecting a 127" diagonal image. Thanks for the recommendations, I would love to get some nicer racks. The window plug, and the comforter over the mirror, along with all of the black sheets on all of the walls and ceiling really dry the room up, but some overlying panels and/or some bass traps would probably help.

Thanks Brent! I'm really enjoying it!

I hate to do it right after starting my own HT thread, but I must bid you adieu, as I now have company over, and we are going to go party in the HT room, and check out some blu-ray concerts.

P.S.- Keep the suggestions coming!
Old 02-20-2012, 01:45 AM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2011
Denmark

Hi Joe. Im so glad that you finally decided too be part of the family.

If you're looking too upgrade your speakers check out the SongSeries. Very well liked and great speakers for the money. But The polks you already own are very good too. . When speaking of subs SVS again makes some good bang for the buck.

For treatment the three best online sites imo (going from cheapest too most expensive). ATS Acoustics, GIK Acoustics and RealTraps. Or you could make some panels yourself at a fraction of the price. Check out youtube for diy instructions and use something like this too fill them with (Owens-Corning and Roxul being the best but cheaper alternatives exists). Gearsluts is a very good place too search or ask for acoustic instructions.

As far as i have understood the "sound" of the receivers going from bright too warm is Pioneer (Bright), Onkyo (neutral) and Denon (warm). Onkyo is very good bang for the buck.

Good luck with your home theater in the future buddy. Looks awesome already.

Last edited by spaceape; 02-20-2012 at 01:56 AM.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:54 AM   #9
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2010
Frogmorton

Thanks Tommy!

Some of you guys are on a whole 'nother level, and try as I might to understand it, wowie wow wow! Help me Rhonda! I just finished watching "Firefly" for the first time, and I loved it. Looks like time to watch "Serenety" again. I wish the A/V on "Firefly" was as good as "Serenity".
Old 02-20-2012, 07:04 AM   #10
Banned

Oct 2007
Michigan

I highly enjoyed the movie also, and I go back and forth about the series.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:54 AM   #11
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2011
Denmark

Hey Joe.

Last edited by spaceape; 02-20-2012 at 07:56 AM.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:01 PM   #12
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Feb 2008
Near Atlanta GA

Hello FM, I'm glad you finally started a gallery thread. You have a really nice system.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:08 PM   #13
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2009
Uncle Bob's House of Pancakes

Hey there, Frog-man!

Way cool on starting your own thread here. About time.
[Show spoiler]
Old 02-20-2012, 09:27 PM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2011
No Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogmort View Post
Finally!

I've been working on setting up a dedicated HT room for about a month and a half now, and I guess it's time to start my own thread.

I still have a lot to do before it's finished, if that ever happens. Here's where I'm at right now. ...
Welcome to the Galleries, nice job on the HT. As for finishing, I think I have been adding and subtracting from my Ht now for about 10 years and I still have a ways to go before I'm finished. Besides every couple of years they add some new feature which I instantly deem a necessity and it starts all over again .
Old 02-21-2012, 12:15 AM   #15
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2010
Frogmorton

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMP View Post
I highly enjoyed the movie also, and I go back and forth about the series.
I have seen Serenity several times over the last few years and I really enjoy it. After watching the complete Firefly in two days, I also really liked it too. There is a lot more humor than I was expecting, which is cool. Too bad it got the shaft so soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceape View Post
Wow, I've never heard that before.
[Show spoiler] How you doin' Tommy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post
Hello FM, I'm glad you finally started a gallery thread. You have a really nice system.
Thanks for the kind words HTG! Yours is very nice too. I love those three HSU 15's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Hey there, Frog-man!

Way cool on starting your own thread here. About time.
[Show spoiler]
Thanks for stopping by Wabo.

Yeah, when I finally start getting a setup together that's reasonably decent enough to start my own HT gallery thread, I ended up with a lot less free time to sit around on my ass and have fun on blu-ray.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bguzman View Post
Welcome to the Galleries, nice job on the HT. As for finishing, I think I have been adding and subtracting from my Ht now for about 10 years and I still have a ways to go before I'm finished. Besides every couple of years they add some new feature which I instantly deem a necessity and it starts all over again .
Hello bguzman. Thanks. I would've liked to have done it a little differently, but I rent, and I'm not sure if my landlord would be cool with me remodeling the house, especially painting a whole room a very dark color, so hence the blackout sheets. They're very easily removable.

Yes, I still have a ways to go, but I guess it's good to have something to work towards. It helps to give life more purpose. Maybe I'll have a setup finished that I love by the time I'm dead.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:28 AM   #16
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2011
Denmark

Quote:
How you doin' Tommy.
Im doing okay Joe. Nice projector btw. How many inches are you able too get on your wall at maximum?
Old 02-21-2012, 04:02 AM   #17
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2010
Frogmorton

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceape View Post
Im doing okay Joe. Nice projector btw. How many inches are you able too get on your wall at maximum?
I have it set at maximum, which from a distance of about 13 feet from the lens is projecting a 127" diagonal image. It just barely misses the sides of the front speakers. I thought that it might be a bit dark with it set that big, but it's not at all, and I've been using the low lamp mode to help extend the life of the lamp. I think having all of the walls and ceiling covered in black cloth really helps.

The pictures in my gallery are all taken with my 3.0 megapixel cellphone camera, which is not so great, but the screenshots are from my friends camera. He forgot to charge the battery before he brought it over, so I would set up a shot and pause it, then he would turn on the camera and take one picture, then turn it off. We were only able to get three shots before it died. I don't know why the second two turned out duller than the first. I'll get him to bring it over, fully charged next time.

Oh, I like your projector too!
Old 02-21-2012, 04:24 AM   #18
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2011
Denmark

Quote:
I have it set at maximum, which from a distance of about 13 feet from the lens is projecting a 127" diagonal image. It just barely misses the sides of the front speakers. I thought that it might be a bit dark with it set that big, but it's not at all, and I've been using the low lamp mode to help extend the life of the lamp. I think having all of the walls and ceiling covered in black cloth really helps.

The pictures in my gallery are all taken with my 3.0 megapixel cellphone camera, which is not so great, but the screenshots are from my friends camera. He forgot to charge the battery before he brought it over, so I would set up a shot and pause it, then he would turn on the camera and take one picture, then turn it off. We were only able to get three shots before it died. I don't know why the second two turned out duller than the first. I'll get him to bring it over, fully charged next time.

Oh, I like your projector too!
Wow. I really wish that i could go that large but even my current 92" is pushing it. I guess i'll have too wait until i move into a bigger apartment.

As far as i understand low lamp mode doesn't extend the life of your lamp. It's 4000 hours approximately no mate what mode. But it does however make it more silent.

Putting on black fabric helps too a certain degree but at some time it'll stop improving contrast and the blacks on the screen can't get any more black. This has too do with the limits of the projector itself..It can get very black but not pitch black like the more high end JVC ones. But other things are even as important like eliminating reflections coming from the screen. In my room the most important places too darken were around 6 feet out from the screen, at the ceiling and too the sides around the screen. But this will properly be dependent of room size/layout and lamp/picture settings.

Oh well. All things considered your screenshots still turned out really good.

Last edited by spaceape; 02-21-2012 at 04:31 AM.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:51 AM   #19
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2010
Frogmorton

Thanks Tommy.

According to my Epson user's guide, on page 37 under brightness control, it says:

"To save power and extend the life of the lamp, select the low brightness setting".

I have read several times in different places that it is rated to 4000 hours in either mode, but that seems to contradict this statement.

I also read in some threads over at AVS, that using high altitude mode makes the fan run more, which in turn helps the lamp run cooler, and last longer. I have been using this, and from where I have it located, it doesn't bother me at all. What do you think of that?

I also used the auto iris for a few days, then tried it on and off. It does seem to help black levels a tiny bit, but I'm afraid that if it's a moving part, then it could wear out and make the projector break down. I have read of people having to repair their projector because of auto iris breakdowns. It caused the projector to quit working altogether. What do you think about that?

Thanks for all of your input and help. If I ask too many questions and bug you, just ignore me for a few days.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:12 AM   #20
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2009
Uncle Bob's House of Pancakes

Quote:
Thanks for stopping by Wabo.

Yeah, when I finally start getting a setup together that's reasonably decent enough to start my own HT gallery thread, I ended up with a lot less free time to sit around on my ass and have fun on blu-ray.com.
You're off to a good start. Once the dust settles you'll be back to sitting on your ass enjoying BD.com. That's what we all do, well me at least.

About your pj bulb. I doubt you'll get 4000 hrs out of it. Even if you do, the picture will more than likely be quite dim. Now you might not notice it because you see it everyday. To use something you're familiar with, if you put a frog (see how I worked that in) into boiling water, he'll jump right out. Now if you put a frog (twice now) into room temperature water and gradually bring it to a boil, he'll stay in and you'll have frog legs for dinner. I'm currently over 2800 hrs on my bulb. I was using the 'normal' lamp setting up until about 2000 hrs or so. I've since been using the 'high' lamp mode. Which does cause the fan to run more. I do have a brand new replacement lamp waiting, but I'm a cheap SOB and want to get the last bit of life from my current lamp. That's not to say the picture is getting too dim. Refer to my aforementioned frog (third time) story.

Lol. Did I make any sense with that rambling? i started out with an idea then not sure where I went with it.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Galleries