Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Universal Classic Monsters: Icons of Horror Collection Vol. 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.99
13 hrs ago
House of Psychotic Women Rarities Collection (Blu-ray)
$61.56
17 hrs ago
The Fly Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99

The Collected Works of Hayao Miyazaki (Blu-ray)
$172.08
13 min ago
Chucky: The Complete 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
13 hrs ago
The Conjuring Universe 7-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99
13 hrs ago
The Poison Ivy Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.99

Bones and All (Blu-ray)
$22.99
1 day ago
48 Hrs. / Another 48 Hrs. 4K (Blu-ray)
$28.99

Scarface 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96
7 hrs ago
Triangle of Sadness 4K (Blu-ray)
$33.54

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$83.50

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Music / Audiophiles > Blu-ray Music and High Quality Music

Old 08-13-2012, 07:06 PM   #1

Jul 2008
Default King Crimson Larks' Tongues in Aspic 40th Anniversary Edition Box Set (on Blu-Ray)

http://www.dgmlive.com/news.htm?entry=3916

The long-awaited 40th anniversary edition of the legendary Larks’ Tongues In Aspic quintet will be released on October 15th.

One of the key recordings in the King Crimson canon, and the only formal studio recording by the LTIA quintet, the 40th Anniversary Edition will be released in three separate editions to satisfy the merely curious and the expectant collector.

1. CD/DVD-A:
CD: New stereo mix + selected audio extras – all new content.
DVD-A featuring 5.1 new surround mix, original & new stereo mixes in hi-res stereo, a full album of alt mixes by Steven Wilson & more than 30 minutes of unseen footage of the band live in the studio.

2. Limited edition Boxed Set:13CDs, 1DVD-A, 1Blu-Ray in 12” box with booklet & memorabilia.
DVD-A content as above,
Blu-Ray content as per DVD-A with further hi-res stereo material – all presented in DTS Master audio,
4CDs of studio content including CD of session reels featuring the first recorded takes of all pieces on the album,
1CD live in the studio,
8CDs of live audio restored bootlegs & soundboard recordings
+ 36 page booklet with an extensive new interview with Robert Fripp, notes by King Crimson biographer Sid Smith, album sleeve print, concert ticket replica (with code for further concert download) & band photo postcards – limited to initial orders, one pressing only to a worldwide maximum limit of 7,000 units.

3. 2CD: Complete original & new mixes with selected audio extras.

Whilst the clip of the quintet performing LTIA pt1 during the Bremen Beat Club recording has been available on the internet for several years in varying degrees of quality, there has been some fevered speculation as to whether the full concert would ever see the light of day.

Though it's been a long time coming, the full video of David Cross, Robert Fripp, John Wetton, Bill Bruford and Jamie Muir will now be seen in full. We hope all Crimheads agree that the waiting to get this in the best possible quality will have been worth while.

Pre-ordering details will appear soon.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:04 AM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada

Wow another Steven Wilson masterpiece to come out. That's a seal of perfection for me, this man sure does know what he's doing. Looking forward to this even if I'm not a huge Crimson fan (more a Gentle Giant one) it will def sound great.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:48 PM   #3

Jan 2012

I simply cannot wait for this release. Although LTIA is not one of my favourite King Crimson albums, I will get this box set for sure.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:04 AM   #4
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

And after the Pink Floyd box set faux pas, this is more frustrating news.

I haven't heard much King Crimson, but I would love to get the Blu-ray Disc. However, the current exclusivity of that disc to the box set precludes a blind buy, and I'm not about to start buying King Crimson albums on CD just to find out if I then want to spend another $120 on their music.

I really hope the Blu-ray is made available separately.

EDIT: It's especially disappointing to see that a dead format like DVD-Audio is available in a lower cost option, but the Blu-ray Disc is not. It's very tempting to point a finger and call whomever had that bright idea "stupid".

Last edited by McCrutchy; 08-20-2012 at 08:09 AM.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:25 AM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2008
Evanston,Il

I put an order in for this set today.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:37 PM   #6
Special Member

Oct 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrutchy View Post
And after the Pink Floyd box set faux pas, this is more frustrating news.

I haven't heard much King Crimson, but I would love to get the Blu-ray Disc. However, the current exclusivity of that disc to the box set precludes a blind buy, and I'm not about to start buying King Crimson albums on CD just to find out if I then want to spend another $120 on their music.

I really hope the Blu-ray is made available separately.

EDIT: It's especially disappointing to see that a dead format like DVD-Audio is available in a lower cost option, but the Blu-ray Disc is not. It's very tempting to point a finger and call whomever had that bright idea "stupid".
The whole 40th anniversary series has been available in CD/DVD-A sets, so I doubt they are going to stray from that at this point, nor make a seperate Blu Ray available.

As for the "stupidity": I suspect they are on the page that with a DVD-A release they can provide something that is universally playable (albiet with some quality loss for 5.1). However, anyone with a DVD (or Blu Ray) player can play the stereo content in high res.

There are actually quite a few high def DVD or DVD-A based audio releases coming out of late (probably more than "Blu Ray Audio" actually).

Last edited by blu2; 08-26-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:54 PM   #7
Special Member

Oct 2007

Complete Content:

http://www.dgmlive.com/news.htm?posi...30&entry=3920&

Quote:
Pre-order pages for the 40th Anniversary Edition versions of Larks’ Tongues In Aspic are now up. If you’re in the USA and thereabouts you can grab your preferred version from the mail order shop. If you’re in the UK/Europe you can order the version that tickles your fancy from Burning Shed’.

Since the announcement of the 15-disc collector’s boxset there’s been some speculation as to the provenance of the contents. So, here’s your handy cut-out-and-keep guide to the box.

The quintet line-up of King Crimson – Bill Bruford, David Cross, Robert Fripp, Jamie Muir and John Wetton – was, like so many band line-ups of the era, short-lived.

Melody Maker revealed the membership in July 1972. The first full group rehearsal was on September 4th 1972, the final performance was on February 10th 1973 at London’s Marquee Club. Between those dates the band played a trio of club dates and a filmed live in the studio recording in Germany in October, a universally acclaimed UK tour during November/December and recorded one of the most celebrated studio albums of the era in January and early February.

This boxed set contains every known live performance and studio recording by that band.

CD 1 & 2: October 13th 1972 Live at the Zoom Club, Frankfurt (audio restored bootleg)
Previously only available as KCCC20

CD 3: October 17th 1972 Live in the studio, Bremen (mono)
Previously only available as KCCC3

CD 4 & 5: November 10th 1972 Live at the Technical College, Hull (audio restored bootleg)
Previously only available as a download from DGMLive

CD 6: November 13th 1972 Live at the Civic Hall, Guildford (audio restored soundboard)
Previously only available as KCCC24

CD 7: November 25th 1972 Live at New Theatre, Oxford (audio restored bootleg)
Previously only available as a download from DGMLive

CD 8: December 1st 1972 Live at Green’s Playhouse, Glasgow, (audio restored bootleg)
Previously unreleased

CD 9: December 15th 1972 Live at the Guildhall, Portsmouth (audio restored bootleg)
Previously unreleased

CD 10: January 1973: “Keep That One, Nick” – The Larks’ Tongues In Aspic Recording Session Reels: Taking the form of an audio documentary & placing the listener in Command studios in early 1973 as the quintet maps out the material destined for the album produced by David Singleton. Featuring first takes of every piece recorded for the album interspersed with studio talk between band members & engineer

CD 11: January/February 1973: The original album mix 30th Anniversary Edition, The US Promo EP (transferred from vinyl) and the US radio advert

CD 12: January/February 1973: Alt Mixes and takes: Steven Wilson’s alternate Larks’ Tongues In Aspic plus Easy Money edited by David Singleton and Alex Mundy from Keep That One, Nick Session Reel Essentials

CD 13: January/February 1973: Larks’ Tongues In Aspic, new stereo mix, mixed by Steven Wilson and Robert Fripp

Disc 14: DVD-A: Complete album in 5.1 MLP Lossless & DTS Surround Sound album mix.

38 minutes film performance of the band never previously been released or screened, Original album 30th anniversary mix, 2012 alternate takes & mixes in 24/48 hi-res stereo, 2012 stereo mix in 24/48 & 24/96 hi-res stereo

Disc 15: Blu-Ray: Content as per DVD-A with all stereo tracks in 24/96 hi-res plus hi-res stereo of “Keep That One Nick”, hi-res mono tracks “Live in the studio”, 24/96 transfer of original vinyl pressing, film footage of band performing “Larks’ Tongues In Aspic Part I” as originally broadcast on Beat Club TV programme
Old 08-28-2012, 09:59 PM   #8

Aug 2012

Yikes, I just took a good look at the initial 9 disks in this set and I don't like what I see. Most are labeled "restored audio" bootlegs. That wouldn't be so bad but then there is one labeled restored audio soundboard. Reading between the lines, this likely means that the "bootlegs" are audience recordings. No amount of sound restoration is going to lose that terrible over-ambience of a recording made at a distance nor will it remove the loud over-present claps and comments of audience members near the recording mic. I expect most of those discs will be throwaway fillers. I do have my order in and am looking forward to the other hi-end audio goodies.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:32 AM   #9
Special Member

Oct 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokie View Post
Yikes, I just took a good look at the initial 9 disks in this set and I don't like what I see. Most are labeled "restored audio" bootlegs. That wouldn't be so bad but then there is one labeled restored audio soundboard. Reading between the lines, this likely means that the "bootlegs" are audience recordings. No amount of sound restoration is going to lose that terrible over-ambience of a recording made at a distance nor will it remove the loud over-present claps and comments of audience members near the recording mic. I expect most of those discs will be throwaway fillers. I do have my order in and am looking forward to the other hi-end audio goodies.
Most of the live material has been previously released, so you can read reviews on dgmlive.com. I don't think "filler" is appropriate. If you love this lineup, then you'll want to hear the live performances, warts and all. Otherwise, why buy the box? The basic CD+DVD-A version should be fine for the non-completists.

Last edited by blu2; 09-01-2012 at 06:35 AM.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:47 AM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2006
Switzerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu2 View Post
The whole 40th anniversary series has been available in CD/DVD-A sets, so I doubt they are going to stray from that at this point, nor make a seperate Blu Ray available.

As for the "stupidity": I suspect they are on the page that with a DVD-A release they can provide something that is universally playable (albiet with some quality loss for 5.1). However, anyone with a DVD (or Blu Ray) player can play the stereo content in high res.

There are actually quite a few high def DVD or DVD-A based audio releases coming out of late (probably more than "Blu Ray Audio" actually).
I'm sure you know this, but just pointing out that there is only a quality loss for 5.1 on DVD-A if you don't have a DVD-A player, otherwise it's as lossless as the Blu-ray.

And Steve Wilson mentioned in another forum, that Blu-ray replication is still very expensive (maybe just for lower quantities?), which would explain why the BD is only available as part of an expensive set, while the low cost DVD-A is available individually.

I for one could not believe they're releasing the 3 discs ELP editions for under 20$, that's 2 CDs and a DVD-A
Old 10-12-2012, 04:25 PM   #11

Mar 2010
San Diego, CA

Just got an email from Burning Shed that the release date has been pushed back a week on this release. Looks like the 2CD/DVD-A release will be released on 10/22/12 & the box set will be released on 10/29/12.

Not sure if it's just Burning Shed that is affected or if all outlets have been delayed.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:32 PM   #12

Mar 2010
San Diego, CA

My box arrived yesterday from Burning Shed. Haven't had a chance to play anything yet but did check out the contents. All discs are held in cardboard sleeves in tri-fold digipaks so the discs are kind of a pain to get out. Especially the middle disc in each pack. Booklet is decent & there are a few bits of fluff included such as postcards, ticket copy, etc.

The box is LP sized, maybe 2" thick & pretty solid. Mine had a decent sized ding on one edge that didn't look like it was caused during shipping. Not a big enough deal to send it back. The box is very similar in size to the cd box sets of the 80's/90's such as Clapton's Crossrods & the Elton John box.

Looking forward to testing the Blu Ray on the weekend.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:27 PM   #13

Jul 2011

Here is a look at the set.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:01 AM   #14

Mar 2010
San Diego, CA

I've got a couple spins in on the Blu Ray in this set & it sounds fantastic. The mix is very active & there is an aggressive use of the surrounds in this mix that seems different than most of Steve Wilson's remixes. There is a lot of Fripp coming out of the rears. Only thing that seems off to me is Wetton's bass is a bit buried.

I watched the video included in the set & it is excellent as well. Worth watching just to see Jamie Muir bouncing around the stage in his fur "jacket" like a demented Sony Bono.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:13 AM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2008
Evanston,Il

I'll be getting my copy of the box on Monday[it'll be a bit more expensive then it ought to be but i'll still have it].
Old 12-30-2012, 04:09 PM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2008
Evanston,Il

I'm listening to the 5.1 mix on the Blu ray and it's quite good imho.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:55 AM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011

Have all the other King Crimson CD+DVD-As...yet to get this one
Have the CD though
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Music / Audiophiles > Blu-ray Music and High Quality Music