Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
1 hr ago
Game of Thrones: The Complete Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$157.50
16 hrs ago
Tenet 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
5 hrs ago
Groundhog Day 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
1 day ago
World of Wong Kar Wai (Blu-ray)
$159.99

Universal Classic Monsters: Complete 30-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$81.99

Wonder Woman 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96
9 hrs ago
Rick and Morty: Season 4 (Blu-ray)
$13.99

Accepted (Blu-ray)
$8.99
1 day ago
Tenet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
2 hrs ago
Love and Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.32

Ghostbusters II 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 10-03-2012, 02:59 PM   #1
Blu-ray Baron

Nov 2009
Hong Kong
Hong Kong Dragon Lord Blu-ray

1920 x 1080p FULL HD
16:9 Widescreen 2.35 : 1
dts-HD Master Audio 7.1、Dolby Digital 6.1
Language : Cantonese, Mandarin
Subtitles : Chinese, English

Special Features :
Theatrical Trailer
Making Of
Old 10-03-2012, 03:11 PM   #2
Blu-ray Baron

Nov 2009
Hong Kong

Is this really worth picking up? I'm a Jackie Chan fan of course, but I really don't need to own all of his films if this film is actually forgettable with few cool scenes. Most of the reviews i've read online seem to be pretty lukewarm about this film. It seems to only get positive feedback just to flatter Jackie Chan and his stuntwork, but it seems that the movie actually sucks overall.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:17 PM   #3

Dec 2011
Germany

DRAGON LORD is like YOUNG MASTER. A lot of comedy mixed with amazing actionscenes...DRAGON LORD contains also a rough rugby-game and a kind of footbag-game...I like it very much. The whole film is not very fast-paced...it's a lot of dialogue, but the cast is awesome: Mars (in a major role), Wang In Sik (final foe) and lots of familiar faces...and the action is great...very realistic and hard-hitting...
Old 10-03-2012, 03:50 PM   #4

Sep 2009
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddly6666 View Post
Is this really worth picking up? I'm a Jackie Chan fan of course, but I really don't need to own all of his films if this film is actually forgettable with few cool scenes. Most of the reviews i've read online seem to be pretty lukewarm about this film. It seems to only get positive feedback just to flatter Jackie Chan and his stuntwork, but it seems that the movie actually sucks overall.
You can save your money. That's not to say the movie is bad. It's entertaining in parts but overall, the movie is kind of confused as to what it wants to be. Jackie was caught in between the old-school martial arts films and trying to bring something new and innovative at the same time. He perfected this with Project A so movies like Dragon Lord and the Young Master feel more like test runs. They're interesting watches to see a style of filmmaking in transition, but by no means must watches.

The final fight in Dragon Lord is also really long but I feel as if it starts to drag and feel like a stunt reel eventually. If you've seen the Raid: Redemption, the last fight of that movie would be a good example of what I'm talking about. Too much of a good thing.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by elite View Post
You can save your money. That's not to say the movie is bad. It's entertaining in parts but overall, the movie is kind of confused as to what it wants to be. Jackie was caught in between the old-school martial arts films and trying to bring something new and innovative at the same time.
This perfectly sums it up. The movie isn't sure if it wants to be a martial arts film, a sports film, or a romcom. Hell, the working title was "Young Master in Love" as a sequel to the aforementioned Young Master, but Jackie started messing with the continuity so much that it became its own film. Part of the reason why the character is once again named "Dragon", but he's not an orphan like in YM (Tien Feng, who played his master in YM, ends up playing his father in DL).

Last edited by OldPangYau; 10-04-2012 at 03:12 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2010
Minneapolis, MN

this is a damn uneven film and not a very good one. of his early 80's GH films, Dragon Lord is by far the worse.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:06 AM   #7

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by andi81 View Post
DRAGON LORD contains also a rough rugby-game and a kind of footbag-game...I like it very much.
Called jian zi.

The scene holds the world record for number of takes -- over 2900. Some people think it's the "pyramid" scene, but this is wrong according to the guy who did the DVD commentary and was actually there on the set. (Also it wouldn't make sense to film the pyramid that many times.)

I never watched the whole movie since the picture quality was bad. It's nice to see this cleaned up on blu-ray now.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:42 AM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Lee View Post
this is a damn uneven film and not a very good one. of his early 80's GH films, Dragon Lord is by far the worse.
This is pretty much true, sadly. It's not bad, and I'd still watch it over most of his output under Lo Wei (I'll take Dragon Lord over New Fist of Fury anyday! Even if NFOF is occasionally enjoyable as a "curiosity piece"). But after the enjoyable fight fest that was Young Master, Dragon Lord just didn't feel as fun

Meanwhile, as for this blu-ray, as it's most likely using the same master from the Fortune Star-based DVDs, it's *not* the original Hong Kong theatrical cut. As was discovered when this master was first used on a Korean DVD around 2005/2006 (I think), this is actually an extended/alternate cut. The Fortune Star cut actually starts with Dragon (Chan) practicing in the courtyard and the pyramid sequence is actually the film's finale *after* the fight with Hwang In Sik. This being said, this version (while longer) is missing the cannon ending... those who've seen the regular cut of this film know what I'm talking about

As of now, the only remastered version of the Hong Kong theatrical cut is the Hong Kong Legends DVD. I think the cut Fortune Star used was originally created for Mainland China... yet it has a Cantonese track as opposed to Mandarin (Mandarin being the language typical in Mainland releases of films).
Old 10-04-2012, 06:52 AM   #9

Dec 2011
Germany

I didn't know about the different versions of DRAGON LORD....are there more missing scenes like the cannon-sequence?
Old 10-05-2012, 04:33 AM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by andi81 View Post
I didn't know about the different versions of DRAGON LORD....are there more missing scenes like the cannon-sequence?
Can't remember off the top of my head. I'll have to go back and double check, but I think it may be missing a few others, even if it is a longer cut. Goes to show that someone may have to fan edit a composite print
Old 05-17-2017, 03:28 PM   #11

May 2011

Is it true that the German blu of Dragon Lord contains both cuts of the movie (the JP cut in HD and the cut from the Fortune Star blu in SD)?
Old 05-17-2017, 06:30 PM   #12

Jan 2016

no. all Versions on the German Blu are based on upscaled SD Material
Thanks given by:
Menteith (05-18-2017)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Asia