Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Everything Everywhere All At Once (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Dragon Ball Super: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$169.99

Jurassic World: Dominion 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99

True Romance 4K (Blu-ray)
$32.76

True Romance 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Jurassic World: Ultimate Collection 4K Giftset (Blu-ray)
$149.96

Real Genius 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Jurassic World: Dominion (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Belle 4K (Blu-ray)
$47.99

Top Gun 4K 2-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.96

Downton Abbey: A New Era (Blu-ray)
$39.96

Cruising (Blu-ray)
$15.75

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

View Poll Results: Rate the movie (After You've Seen It!)
One Star 9 7.69%
Two Stars 16 13.68%
Three Stars 23 19.66%
Four Stars 49 41.88%
Five Stars 20 17.09%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-01-2014, 06:00 AM   #841
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2008
The Secondary World

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagysaudio View Post
Emmie was hot
To quote Tyrion Lannister:

"I don't pay you to put evil notions in my head. The ones already there don't need company."

Old 04-01-2014, 06:02 AM   #842
Banned

Jul 2013
Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanky87 View Post
Russell Crowe was obviously the standout with a tour de force performance.

Jennifer Connolly and Emma Watson were both great.

Logan Lerman was adequate.

The other guy was just...there.
Everyone has said that about ... whatever his name is, from blog posters to message board denizens to professional critics.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:47 AM   #843
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2008
Dagobah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petra_Kalbrain View Post
I was extremely and pleasantly surprised by this film. 4/5 for this viewer.

As to your spoiler? My take on it was quite strongly based on what Ila had to say to Noah
[Show spoiler]after the flood. Noah was chosen by the creator not only to aid in the preservation of the innocent (a.k.a. the animals), despite what he himself believed. He was chosen because the creator trusted Noah to make the right decision about humanity in general. In the creators eyes, whichever Noah were to chose would be the right choice for the creators purposes. If Noah (the best that humanity has to offer) kills the future of the human race, then humanity doesn't deserve to go on. If Noah does not kill the future of humanity but chooses to love them and protect them no matter what the circumstances or his own belief is, then humanity deserves to get another chance.

For me, it was as simple as that.

Now... having said all of that and being an atheist at my core, I also should mention that I found myself chuckling quite profoundly near the end of the credits when the usual "All characters presented in this film are fictitious" statement was shown clear as day on the screen.
This has sealed the deal for me.
I have also read some Youtube comments, where people said it has a strong message about environmentalism and vegetarianism/veganism, so I can't wait to see the film now!

I wish I were in the US though, as it's shown in 2D there, whereas here I am being forced into watching it in 3-D if I want to see it on a big screen.
Btw., what's up with that in the US now?
Old 04-01-2014, 08:43 AM   #844
Banned

Mar 2011
Alaska

I can't believe their making a sequel to this? Has is done that good in the box office??
Old 04-01-2014, 08:45 AM   #845
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2011
New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falaskan View Post
I can't believe their making a sequel to this? Has is done that good in the box office??
april fools?
Old 04-01-2014, 08:47 AM   #846
Banned

Dec 2008
UK

Quote:
I think this is one of the few films Paramount is praying to god that they don't have to make a sequel to.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:41 AM   #847
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluyoda View Post
This has sealed the deal for me.
I have also read some Youtube comments, where people said it has a strong message about environmentalism and vegetarianism/veganism, so I can't wait to see the film now!

I wish I were in the US though, as it's shown in 2D there, whereas here I am being forced into watching it in 3-D if I want to see it on a big screen.
Btw., what's up with that in the US now?
While there's certainly a little of that in there, it's not even close to a strong message for either. In fact, it could be pretty easy to watch the movie and not even see either of those, especially the latter.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:25 PM   #848
Blu-ray Duke

Jan 2012

I am imagining Noah walking around the Ark looking at all the animals trying to decide what is for dinner.

Chickens look around and notice there are several hundred of them but only two of all other species and realize they are f*cked.

Also, people complained when Peter Jackson turned the Hobbit into a trilogy so where is the outrage about Aronofsky taking a story that is practically 6 sentences long and stretching it into a 2 plus hour film?

Last edited by stvn1974; 04-01-2014 at 06:43 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:58 PM   #849
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2011
Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsweetness View Post
While there's certainly a little of that in there, it's not even close to a strong message for either. In fact, it could be pretty easy to watch the movie and not even see either of those, especially the latter.
I agree, I certainly didn't. Though I tend to never take in those parts of the story. Probably since I simply just don't care. It never crossed my mind while watching Avatar. I just enjoyed the adventure of it.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:42 PM   #850
Banned

Jul 2013
Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
Also, people complained when Peter Jackson turned the Hobbit into a trilogy so where is the outrage about Aronofsky taking a story that is practically 6 sentences long and stretching it into a 2 plus hour film?
Well, some people consider one work "sacred."

The rest of the people are worried about the bible.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:48 PM   #851
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2010
USA

Quote:
Didn't you stick around until the end credits scene? Samuel L. Jackson shows up as Moses and tells Noah about a team he's putting together.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:14 PM   #852
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentDawn View Post
I just love how personal the director's vision was, It really made the film great because you can see the confidence in every frame.
Know what you mean. Few directors have the bravery to make truly personal cinema. Aronofsky has done it on a grand scale.

I'd like to watch this again. At least one more time. There's so much going on that it's difficult to take all of it in. I'm glad Aronofsky made it. Wouldn't have preferred anyone else to. Yet I'm not fully decided on the film.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:17 AM   #853
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2013

this movie was a complete piece of crap. so disappointed

Last edited by crazyBLUE; 04-02-2014 at 01:21 AM. Reason: altered word
Old 04-02-2014, 01:53 AM   #854
Power Member

Mar 2008
Salt Lake City

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post
Well, some people consider one work "sacred."

The rest of the people are worried about the bible.
lol
Old 04-05-2014, 04:44 AM   #855
Power Member

Aug 2007
Los Angeles, CA

I just came back from this and loved it. In a lot of ways felt like The Fountain. Aronofsky's done it again. 5 stars.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:05 AM   #856
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008

Thoughts

[Show spoiler]Rather than God ever tell Noah anything directly God gives signs. The complication of this is perfectly seen when Noah keeps asking God to tell him not to do it. No doubt the audience is expecting to see a rainbow. Something. Anything. But God allows Noah to be confused. To basically lose his mind.

Finally, finally Noah sees... he understands that God had already sent him a message. But why Noah didn't see that message is also because of God. Because God allowed Noah to question the worth of human life. To the point of letting an innocent die. To the point of Noah wondering if him and his whole family should die.

This is an extremely dark film. Which fits the story perfectly. Yet it also shows the beauty of humanity. Ham is just a lonely soul looking for a companion. Ila loves her new family and they love her.

Noah loses himself for a while because he can no longer see good in people. Not his wife, not his children... he looks into his own face and wickedness looks back at him. His journey is powerful. He has to live through the death of the whole world. Mentally he almost doesn't survive it. But slowly he comes back. When he is able to see the beauty of life again. When he's able to be part of a new world. To see the hope in that.

The movie is incredible because most people have been here. This place where they question if humanity is worth it. If the world wouldn't be better off without us. This movie doesn't outright say no... but it gives indications that humanity's potential for compassion, love, and pure joy is something worth saving.

We might not live through what Noah did. But every day holds pain for many. Every day offers at least one reason to question if anything good can come out of this world. We have to continually chose to believe in the beauty of life. That it can be beautiful at all. To find hope in that occurrence, no matter how rare it is. To see others for their good qualities, for who they could and want to be, instead of their weakness and failures.

Last edited by assydingo; 04-05-2014 at 06:08 AM.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:23 PM   #857

Apr 2010
Thumbs up Excellent Movie

Quite surprised by Arnofsky's take on the Noah's story - superb visuals, Noah's guilt & conflict captured wonderfully, and solid acting from all the actors especially Crowe's.
The downsides are the over-long third act with
[Show spoiler]Tubal-cain's survival of the flood & speech about the dominion of Men adds nothing of value. Ham's behaviour/conflict towards his father's actions were already shown when he ran away and with the girls death he had a reason to hate his father, but instead they added a plot with Ham saving Tubal-cain. Noah's venture into the forest suddenly looking for a Wife in the middle of the dangerous tribe for his son all of a sudden just before the flood felt forced (even though it helped us show how destructive mankind has turned into).

Least depressing movie from Arnofsky but still a good one.
3.5/5
Old 04-05-2014, 02:57 PM   #858
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2013
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoku View Post
Quite surprised by Arnofsky's take on the Noah's story - superb visuals, Noah's guilt & conflict captured wonderfully, and solid acting from all the actors especially Crowe's.
The downsides are the over-long third act with
[Show spoiler]Tubal-cain's survival of the flood & speech about the dominion of Men adds nothing of value. Ham's behaviour/conflict towards his father's actions were already shown when he ran away and with the girls death he had a reason to hate his father, but instead they added a plot with Ham saving Tubal-cain. Noah's venture into the forest suddenly looking for a Wife in the middle of the dangerous tribe for his son all of a sudden just before the flood felt forced (even though it helped us show how destructive mankind has turned into).

Least depressing movie from Arnofsky but still a good one.
3.5/5
Yeah the writers kept banging it over our heads" Ham doesn't like his Dad anymore; Ham doesn't like his Dad anymore! Instead of just writing it effectively into the script, it always came off as uneven and silly. A girl he knew for 15 minutes takes precedence over a person who raised him his entire life? Hmm. I understand teenagers can be dumb but c'mon.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:15 PM   #859
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2008
Alaska

Saw it today while I was in town. I thought it was good... but not something I'd watch again or care to own.

[Show spoiler]I thought the Watchers were a little out of place, though I liked how they were used to build the Ark.

Last edited by JamesKurtovich; 04-06-2014 at 12:18 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:22 PM   #860
Banned

Mar 2011
Alaska

I just think having the Watchers remain evil fallen angels (not of stone) like Genesis and the book of Enoch seem to indicate, that crossbred with humans and make a race of giants that bring destruction to the earth (nephilim) would've been a much more epic idea. There are theories that when Genesis refers to Noah and his family as righteous, it doesn't mean he was perfect but that his family was the only family that hadn't allowed themselves to crossbreed with fallen angels. Would've made for a much more epic story imo, and would've provided many bad guys.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies