Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
9 hrs ago
Beverly Hills Cop Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$22.99
2 hrs ago
Teen Titans: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$38.49

Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954-1975 (Blu-ray)
$112.49

Catch Me If You Can (Blu-ray)
$6.99
1 hr ago
Mission: Impossible - 6-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$50.39

The Secret Life of Pets 2 (Blu-ray)
$12.99
8 hrs ago
Giant Robo (Blu-ray)
$49.49
2 hrs ago
Batman: 80th Anniversary 18-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$62.99

Jurassic World: 5-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.99
6 hrs ago
Terminator: Dark Fate (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$56.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Asia

Old 12-03-2012, 08:17 AM   #1
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA
Japan La belle noiseuse (Jacques Rivette)

TC Entertainment will bring Jacques Rivette's La belle noiseuse (1991), starring Michel Piccoli, Jane Birkin and Emmanuelle Bart, to Blu-ray in Japan on February 27th, 2013.

Note: This release is advertised as being uncensored, which would make it desirable (a censored Japanese release of this particular film would be exceptionally grating), however, the listed run time of 229 minutes and a 1080i specification on the distributor's web site listing indicate that this would be converted from a 25 fps source. The film runs 228-229 minutes on both the UK and US (PAL-->NTSC converted) DVDs, and it would run 238 minutes at film speed. Proceed with caution.

Last edited by McCrutchy; 12-03-2012 at 11:09 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:03 PM   #2
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-
-

Hopefully, Artificial Eye or Criterion will eventually bring this wonderful film to Blu-ray.

(And you might have to correct one of the names above for a third time, McCrutchy ).

Pro-B
Old 12-03-2012, 11:12 PM   #3
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist View Post
Hopefully, Artificial Eye or Criterion will eventually bring this wonderful film to Blu-ray.

(And you might have to correct one of the names above for a third time, McCrutchy ).

Pro-B

And I certainly agree.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:33 PM   #4
Banned

Jul 2007
Hollywood

Quote:

Pro-B
This being one of my favorite films... is there any indication that AE or Criterion might bring this release out, that you've heard?
Old 12-08-2012, 04:10 AM   #5
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-
-

I don't know about, Criterion, Retablo, but there is a pretty good HD master of this film. I will ask Artificial Eye if they are planning a Blu-ray release.

Pro-B
Old 12-08-2012, 07:27 AM   #6
Banned

Jul 2007
Hollywood

Quote:
I don't know about, Criterion, Retablo, but there is a pretty good HD master of this film. I will ask Artificial Eye if they are planning a Blu-ray release.

Pro-B
Really?? That's amazing to hear, since it never had a great DVD release... my copy is a Japanese import special edition but even there the image is average at best, even for DVD.

When you ask them, can you do a little begging for me?

I'm actually planning a very loose remake (loose enough where I wouldn't need to license the rights), but instead of painting, I switched it to photography.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:48 AM   #7

Jul 2009
Red face

Quote:

Pro-B
I own the 2 DVDs French Arte release. (the complete cut; splitted on 2 DVDs).
But I do not remember that Arte TV channel broadcast in HD "La Belle Noiseuse"... or in that case, I missed it... and this is very wrong...
where did you see this HD master ?

about the film length as announced by the web site for this blu-ray :
I can read on imdb :
Technical Specs
Runtime: 238 min *| South Korea: 228 min (dvd)

I didn't know about a "South Korea" cut...
I thought that not everybody could fill imdb files ?

so there's no cut, it's just the mathematical PAL->NTSC ->PAL conversion ?
bad conversion ?
maths are not my thing as you have already understood, but I can clearly and easily understand an answer like this :
so, in a nuthsell :
no Emmanuel Beart's parts cut at all?

same odd info about the USA version of Divertimento... :
how the USA version can be 5 minutes shorter when that's PAL to NTSC conversions which runs faster ?
and for : Divertimento (1992)
Technical Specs
Runtime: 130 min *| USA: 125 min

a little "apart" now... I'm a bit surprised that McCrutchy or pro-bassoonist haven't try to test or import one of the blu-ray Rohmer title :
"4 Seasons" are out... since this summer...
and they recently released "Triple Agent"
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=KKBS-29
while I'm still crossing the fingers for a "Moral Tales"/Contes Moraux Blu-Ray upgrade on Criterion (judging the picture quality from the Criterion DVD vs the Rohmer DVDs in France Criterion already have a master in their hands to release magnificient Blu-Rays)
but I'm intrigued by these Japanese releases... Especially because I have not been able to find a single screenshots or review of these releases...

Last edited by RupertPupkin; 12-12-2012 at 04:51 AM.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:29 AM   #8
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by retablo View Post
I'm actually planning a very loose remake (loose enough where I wouldn't need to license the rights), but instead of painting, I switched it to photography.
Do tell (I want to see if that means what I think it does)...
Old 02-15-2013, 11:18 AM   #9

Sep 2010

Is the Japan blu-ray going to be English-friendly?
Old 02-17-2013, 10:51 PM   #10
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidknunes View Post
Is the Japan blu-ray going to be English-friendly?
Only Japanese subtitles are mentioned, I'm afraid. Your best bet would be to keep an eye on Artificial Eye for a UK release.
Old 05-24-2014, 04:30 AM   #11
Banned

Feb 2014

Any word on this release? Has anyone seen it? Are there indeed no English subs?
Old 02-07-2015, 09:52 PM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2014
Los Angeles

Ordered this since I can rip and add the english sub track, but unfortunately the video quality stinks. It's probably a DVD upconvert and the interlacing looks terrible.
Thanks given by:
Mansinthe (02-08-2015)
Old 02-08-2015, 09:31 PM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Northern VA, USA

This seems like something Criterion should release in the U.S. (along with Celine and Julie Go Boating).
Old 03-12-2017, 07:54 PM   #14

Jun 2011
somewhere deep in Russia

This Japanese BD release it's a fake. They took DVD-PAL 2 disk edition and converted to 1080i (25fps->29,97[23,9] without any speeddown or something else)

Don't buy this!!!
Old 03-13-2017, 01:21 AM   #15
Expert Member

May 2013

Cohen has the rights in the US now.

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=20043

Hope they release it on blu soon!
Thanks given by:
nnnon (05-08-2017), poolie (03-13-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 03:23 AM   #16
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Happinet will release a 4K remastered Blu-ray (and include a DVD of Divertimento) on November 2nd, 2017:

Obviously, this disc should be 1080p, too.
Thanks given by:
Bates_Motel (07-22-2017), giopna (08-13-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 04:22 PM   #17

Jul 2013

I've found video of the restoration:
Old 11-23-2017, 03:50 AM   #18

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrutchy View Post
Happinet will release a 4K remastered Blu-ray (and include a DVD of Divertimento) on November 2nd, 2017:

Obviously, this disc should be 1080p, too.
is there a test or some vidcaps of this Japanese Blu-Ray ?
at amazon.co.jp the front cover says X4 restoration...
I've watched both trailer : the Japanese and the Cohen trailer
the color schemes (looks like the Eclair studio touch? some of their familiar cholor schemes bad habits (= the blue shirt of Michel Piccoli or Emmanuelle's levis), but it's still close to the Arte original color palette) and HD details of the Japanese restoration trailer are the same than the Cohen restoration X4 trailer.

I had bought the "old one" Japanese Blu-Ray - although it was the complete uncut version and uncensored (= no foufoune floutage) this was really disappointing in terms of PQ : it was just upscaled (no HD details at all) - that's certainly what they call "REMASTERED" on the artwork... the Arte DVD upscaled looked better...

I know Cohen is planning to release it on blu-ray in the US but so far there's the theatrical release, then is there a release date for the Cohen Blu-Ray ?

the presence of Divertimento would make it interesting : if they use the Arte DVD source it was really good.
Too bad they only restored "La Belle Noiseuse" in HD but it would have been restoring 2 movies, since all scenes are made from different takes. Thus this is far much more than an edited version, since "Divertimento" was made with alternate takes and angles/outtakes. This is beyond a different/shorter edit.

there is perhaps hope that Cohen also restored "Divertimento" (was the "Beautiful Troublemaker" the English title for "Divertimento" ? I'm from France, thus I'm not sure...)
https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=20043
but both "La Belle Noiseuse" and "The Beautiful Troublemaker" are listed on Cohen list (without knowing if Cohen will end with a Blu-Ray box set with both movies and not only a DVD fo "Divertimento" like the new Japanese release)

this complete title for the Happinet release is "La Belle Noiseuse [4K Restored / Unexpurgated Edition]" : "unexpurgated" ??? does it has something to do with "purgatoire" ?
I think I have something like a "curse" with my passion for Emmanuelle Bart movies...

last time I bought the Cohen Blu-Ray box set Chabrol because of "Betty" and of course "L'Enfer" (aka Torment) : contrary to "Merci pour le Chocolat" (Cohen too - MK2) the subtitles were forced (although not in-grained) which allowed me to move the subtitles with my stand-alone blu-ray player "outside" the screen...

Perhaps they will use forced subtitles at Cohen for "La Belle Noiseuse" (I don't know what it will be for the Japanese blu-ray but the old one did not have forced subtitles...)

Last edited by RupertPupkin; 11-23-2017 at 09:05 AM.
Old 11-23-2017, 05:29 PM   #19

Feb 2014
Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by RupertPupkin View Post
this complete title for the Happinet release is "La Belle Noiseuse [4K Restored / Unexpurgated Edition]" : "unexpurgated" ??? does it has something to do with "purgatoire" ? [...] Perhaps they will use forced subtitles at Cohen for "La Belle Noiseuse" (I don't know what it will be for the Japanese blu-ray but the old one did not have forced subtitles...)
It is uncut and uncensored, with optional subtitles. The PQ is good (some blocking but nothing you're likely to notice unless you're sitting really close and know where to look).

Here are are few screens:

Last edited by p_cqvist; 11-24-2017 at 05:05 AM. Reason: Picload deleted images
Old 11-24-2017, 03:17 AM   #20

Jul 2009

Thanks a lot for the info and the vidcaps ! It's a good thing to know that the subtitles are optional on the new Japanese Blu-Ray x4 (since the last Claude Chabrol box set by Cohen had forced subtitles (which was not the case for a previous Cohen blu-Ray by Claude Chabrol "Merci Pour le Chocolat" had optional subtitles)

When I used to watch Torment (aka L'Enfer) or La Belle Noiseuse I need to see Emmanuelle Bart right into her magnificent blue eyes... Otherwise, if I try to read the subtitles in the meantime it's distracting (and I'm French so - I would not need it) and I'm feeling a bit embarrassed- it would be like talking with a lovely woman you don't look her into her eyes and instead you look down in her cleavage...
That's why, for all due respect I tend to avoid forced subtitles at all cost...

Last edited by RupertPupkin; 11-24-2017 at 05:19 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Asia