Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
They Shall Not Grow Old (Blu-ray)
$19.99
9 hrs ago
Waterworld 4K (Blu-ray)
$21.74
20 hrs ago
The Koker Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$68.49
20 hrs ago
Apocalypse Now 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.89

Alien 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Mission: Impossible - 6 Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$33.35

Alfred Hitchcock: The Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$59.96

The Shining 4K (Blu-ray)
$35.90

Night Killer (Blu-ray)
$21.72
1 hr ago
Downton Abbey: Season 6 (Blu-ray)
$10.99
48 min ago
Cinderella 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Doctor Who: Peter Davison - Complete Season One (Blu-ray)
$34.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 01-26-2013, 04:32 PM   #1
Power Member

Sep 2006
Default Different versions of Zulu?

I see amazon has two different versions of Zulu available:

one is a uk import that was criticized for too much dnr that I've read doing a search here
http://www.amazon.com/Zulu-Blu-ray-M...s=zulu+blu+ray

the other is advertised as a us release which I've never heard a thing about... even has a new cover
http://www.amazon.com/Zulu-Blu-Ray-M...s=zulu+blu+ray

any insight?
Old 01-26-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2009
En flugskit i kosmos
-
-
-

I smell a rat. Only marketplace sellers and not a hit on Google anywhere when searching the UPC.

Last edited by TheOneWithThePrize; 01-26-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:06 PM   #3
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneWithThePrize View Post
I smell a rat. Only marketplace sellers and not a hit on Google anywhere when searching the UPC.
+1

Sounds like a BD-R at best and if Zulu is public domain it sounds like someone just slapped some video they found on a recordable disc.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/32...ray-us-version
Old 01-26-2013, 06:21 PM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2009
En flugskit i kosmos
-
-
-

Noticed someone entered the artwork of this so called "US release" on the listing of the UK import over at Amazon.com so likely there will be some marketplace sellers trying to peddle this on that listing as well.

Myself, I wouldn't buy either release but others may not be as picky...
Old 01-26-2013, 08:06 PM   #5
Power Member

Sep 2006

interesting... thanks guys
Old 01-26-2013, 09:19 PM   #6
Blu-ray Grand Duke

May 2010
Your resident Dune, Star Wars, and war film expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post
interesting... thanks guys
There's only one way to get Zulu on BD and it is found here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zulu-Blu-ray...9238747&sr=8-1
Old 01-26-2013, 09:22 PM   #7
Power Member

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
There's only one way to get Zulu on BD and it is found here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zulu-Blu-ray...9238747&sr=8-1
I'd still be curious what this mystery version looks like...
Old 01-26-2013, 09:26 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Stockholm, but Sussex when back in UK
-
-

The HD version has appeared on TV in the UK so I would presume one of the US film channels has shown this as well, to copy from.

If a bootleg I'm surprised Paramount have not made Amazon pull the listing given they own the copyright.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:38 PM   #9
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Mar 2012
New York City

Why is everyone talking about using HD versions from TV or public domain? Hello, the movie has a UK BD release (which this seller is also selling). He could clearly have just ripped that and put that onto a BD-R.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:44 PM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
Why is everyone talking about using HD versions from TV or public domain? Hello, the movie has a UK BD release (which this seller is also selling). He could clearly have just ripped that and put that onto a BD-R.
Is totally a bootleg. Look at the sleeve posted on Amazon. Disk says released by Inspired Studios with their website address on the sleeve. Look at that and they are a seller of fitness and dance DVDs, with Zulu not in their catalogue !

Presume the guy picked a small studio to claim released it to get past any cursory checks Amazon would make.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:52 PM   #11
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Mar 2012
New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcy30 View Post
Is totally a bootleg. Look at the sleeve posted on Amazon. Disk says released by Inspired Studios with their website address on the sleeve. Look at that and they are a seller of fitness and dance DVDs, with Zulu not in their catalogue !

Presume the guy picked a small studio to claim released it to get past any cursory checks Amazon would make.
Read what I wrote. I'm not saying it isn't a bootleg, Im saying he could be using the UK BD as his source, rather than some public domain or TV rip.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:11 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
-
-

Quote:
Read what I wrote. I'm not saying it isn't a bootleg, Im saying he could be using the UK BD as his source, rather than some public domain or TV rip.
I don't want to argue lets agree its a pirate copy what I call a bootleg.
It's not an officially distributed BD from the film's rights holder.
What is taking the mick is passing it off as from an independent real company who appear to have nothing to do with it.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:19 PM   #13
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcy30 View Post

Just because it's not on their site doesn't mean they're not the ones trying to pass it off. The 0071083 UPC prefix does belong to Inspired Studios and it's a valid UPC number. Now that doens't mean someone else couldn't have tried to match the prefix to the studio.

http://gepir.gs1.org/v32/xx/search_b...spx?Lang=en-US

One a side note, my antivirus software shows that the antivirus company has previously found three drive-by download threats on the Inspired Studios website.

Last edited by rdodolak; 01-26-2013 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:43 PM   #14
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007

Inspired Studios is definitely a small business and if you google map the address it's a residental address.

More info on the company:

http://www.manta.com/c/mmgtglg/inspired-studios-inc
Old 01-26-2013, 11:05 PM   #15
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Mar 2012
New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdodolak View Post
Inspired Studios is definitely a small business and if you google map the address it's a residental address.

More info on the company:

http://www.manta.com/c/mmgtglg/inspired-studios-inc
And I wouldn't be surprised if you contacted them that they had no clue that their name was being used to distribute an obvious bootleg. A studio who distributes no name movies, and fitness videos isn't all of a sudden going to put out a legit copy of Zulu on BD, especially when the cover art looks like that.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:10 PM   #16
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Mar 2012
New York City

The Region 0 is another obvious sign that it's a bootleg. They're not even trying. How pitiful

Old 01-26-2013, 11:36 PM   #17
Power Member

Sep 2006

don't forget the "widescreen edition" as opposed to pan and scan.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:39 PM   #18
Banned

Dec 2011
Norn Iron
Talking

I watched the U.K. Version recently and was more than happy with how it looked,infact i thought it was very good,there is also a steelbook of that version available.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:43 PM   #19
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007

Quote:
And I wouldn't be surprised if you contacted them that they had no clue that their name was being used to distribute an obvious bootleg. A studio who distributes no name movies, and fitness videos isn't all of a sudden going to put out a legit copy of Zulu on BD, especially when the cover art looks like that.
I never said it was a legitimate release but that doesn't necessarily mean that small residential business didn't put out the release. Maybe they didn't but maybe they did. All I'm saying is that we don't have enough information to know who actually put it out. There are plenty of small companies that release crappy products.

Look at EBHE which is a larger legitimate company. Their releases aren't all that great in terms of cover art and accuracy ... just imagine what some of the much smaller companies actually do for their release. Some of them are just crap artwork and shoddy releases.

Last edited by rdodolak; 01-26-2013 at 11:46 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:53 PM   #20
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Mar 2012
New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdodolak View Post
I never said it was a legitimate release but that doesn't necessarily mean that small residential business didn't put out the release. Maybe they didn't but maybe they did. All I'm saying is that we don't have enough information to know who actually put it out. There are plenty of small companies that release crappy products.

Look at EBHE which is a larger legitimate company. Their releases aren't all that great in terms of cover art and accuracy ... just imagine what some of the much smaller companies actually do for their release. Some of them are just crap artwork and shoddy releases.
I 100% guarantee this isn't an officially licensed release. The film is not in the public domain currently and I believe Fox currently has distribution rights to it. If you seriously believe for a second that there's a possibility that "Inspired Pictures" has the rights to distribute this then I have a bridge to sell you. The fact that it says Region 0, the fact that it's not even on the company's website, the fact that it's not being sold anywhere else should raise more than enough red flags to remove any kind of doubt from your mind about this being nothing more than a bootleg.

Last edited by MifuneFan; 01-26-2013 at 11:55 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America