Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Blood Island Collection (Blu-ray)
$52.56
57 min ago
Twin Peaks: A Limited Event Series (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$64.99

The Karate Kid 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
2 hrs ago
Mary Poppins Returns (Blu-ray)
$28.28

Chucky: The Complete 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Game Night (Blu-ray)
$9.99
9 hrs ago
How to Train Your Dragon 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$14.99

If Beale Street Could Talk (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Wizard of Oz 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
3 hrs ago
Rocky (Blu-ray)
$25.01

A Silent Voice (Blu-ray)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 02-05-2013, 07:38 PM   #1
Banned

Apr 2012
Hawaii
Default Crimewave (1985) - 5/14/13

Crimewave Blu-ray PRE-ORDER

Shout Factory has announced that they will be releasing Sam Raimi's Crimewave on BD in May.

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 02-08-2013 at 12:01 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:45 PM   #2
Power Member

Aug 2010

Which version?
Old 02-05-2013, 07:46 PM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2012
SE MI.

You gotta be ****ing kidding me! Awesome news! One of the most insane flicks I've ever seen that barely made it to dvd (I have some weird import, Panorama Koren disc I think, no US version). Can't wait to revisit this, hope it cleans up as well as Intruder.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:06 PM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2010

Day 1 buy . Huge Raimi fan. Huge Coen fan. Huge Campbell fan. In all honesty this movie is garbage and an embarrassment to everyone involved but I can't wait to own it.

I shoulda known this was coming when I saw Reed Birney in House of Cards on Netflix the other day.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:06 PM   #5
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2012
NY/NJ

Was Crimewave made by the same folks behind Thou Shalt Not Kill...Except? That film was terrible (amateurish to the point where it felt like I was watching someone's home movies). I've heard of Crimewave but don't know much about it - it's a likely blind buy if enough people here vouch for it.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:08 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2010
New Jersey

This was one of the titles that Cliff informed me about months ago but I couldn't say anything. Glad to see an official announcement has finally come
Old 02-05-2013, 09:16 PM   #7
Special Member

Sep 2012
Redding, CA

Another title that never was on dvd and now waiting all these years and I get a bluray instead. Amazing. I kind of doubt Raimi or Campbell would contribute to this but it would be just great to finally gave this film.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:22 PM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2010

Red Shirt Productions obviously got all their interviews for ED2, Intruder and TSNKE at the same time and since they've done stuff for Shout! I'm hoping they might have thought to ask some of them about Crimewave too. Not coordinating the Campbell interview with the rest would be my only concern. If he did those held do this one too so it should be about logistics.

He also devoted a large portion of his book to the Crimewave production fiasco. He doesn't mind talking about it. Lots of potential for behind-the-scenes drama in the extras.

I wonder if this means Darkman and Army of Darkness are on their radar.

Last edited by GuruAskew; 02-06-2013 at 03:09 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:33 PM   #9
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2012

Raimi talks Crimewave from 1989.
Thanks given by:
billyearle (10-22-2014)
Old 02-05-2013, 09:37 PM   #10
Power Member

Aug 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by cine74 View Post
Was Crimewave made by the same folks behind Thou Shalt Not Kill...Except? That film was terrible (amateurish to the point where it felt like I was watching someone's home movies). I've heard of Crimewave but don't know much about it - it's a likely blind buy if enough people here vouch for it.
This is by the people who did EVIL DEAD and EVIL DEAD 2, as well as RAISING ARIZONA and FARGO.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:42 PM   #11
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2009
MA

Glad to see more oddities getting a blu release.....having said that, couldn't they have found a title more than a handful of people will be excited about! I mean I'd say obscure 80's movies are my specialty, but I've never even heard of this!
Old 02-05-2013, 09:49 PM   #12
Power Member

Feb 2009
-
-
-

Awesome news. It's a weird flick but the last chase scene is freaking insane...in a good way
Old 02-05-2013, 09:50 PM   #13
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2012
SE MI.

I'll get more obscure and hope for Lunatics: A Love Story to come around next. That one was made by the Thou Shalt Kill crew and has a Bruce cameo (as well as a rap track from Detroit's Most Wanted, not heard elsewhere).
My custom of that is like 10 years old now and still no sign of a real dvd anywhere. Google search showed Josh was selling them himself from a website, what sounds like the same cable recording I have.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:51 PM   #14
Power Member

Aug 2010

It used to play a lot on cable movie channels in the 80's, maybe even the early 90's a bit. That's how I first saw it. Brion James is a complete nut in this!
Old 02-05-2013, 09:54 PM   #15
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2010

I'm glad it's coming out, don't get me wrong. This movie isn't really even a cult movie. It's a footnote in Raimi's career and it's a footnote in the Coens' career and almost everyone who has seen it over the years has tracked it down due to the people involved only to find that it's a lot worse than they ever could have imagined. I don't think it aired on cable much in the 80's and only recently did it start showing up on the movie channels again.

As I mentioned earlier, there was a lot of craziness behind the scenes that could make for interesting extras. A lot of that is apparent on the screen, particularly the awkward framing scenes at the beginning and the end. It's a troubled production and it shows. Raimi had his lead (Campbell) taken away before production, clashed with producers and financers during production (after being an independent filmmaker) and had his editor and composer taken away in post-production. And it was only released in the bare minimum amount of theaters required to be considered a theatrical release eligible for premium cable channels.

I think it may be one of the most obscure genre titles Shout! has ever released. It'll be a blind buy for most people and the small number of people who are familiar with it are going to be going from a VHS or that grey-market Korean DVD as opposed to a lot of Shout! titles that still had decent video presentations before.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:19 PM   #16
Power Member

Jun 2011
Little Chute, WI

Dear god.... YES

I was literally just thinking about this movie yesterday and how I wanted to ask Cmac about it but I figured there was no chance since Raimi disowned it

Great movie, perfect for any Raimi/Coen/lawrence bender fans
Old 02-05-2013, 11:24 PM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2010
New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adcatalano View Post

Dear god.... YES

I was literally just thinking about this movie yesterday and how I wanted to ask Cmac about it but I figured there was no chance since Raimi disowned it

Just imagine what else is coming 2013 is going to be a good year.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:28 PM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyhorse View Post
I'll get more obscure and hope for Lunatics: A Love Story to come around next. That one was made by the Thou Shalt Kill crew and has a Bruce cameo (as well as a rap track from Detroit's Most Wanted, not heard elsewhere).
This would be amazing! And long-overdue.

Lunatics is a much better film.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:47 PM   #19
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adcatalano View Post

Dear god.... YES

Lawrence Bender had nothing to do with Crimewave. You're thinking of Intruder. Or maybe confusing him with Rob Tapert.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:23 AM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Pittsburgh

This is one of the most obscure movies that Shout has released (at least on Blu) and I've actually heard of it, meanwhile there are some other movies they're releasing (Prison, for example) that I've never heard of. Anyways, I won't blind buy this movie but I am interested in seeing it so hopefully Netflix gets it.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America