Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$90.99
4 hrs ago
The Three Flavors Cornetto Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.27
1 hr ago
The Omen Collection (Blu-ray)
$61.34
12 hrs ago
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23
4 hrs ago
Fast & Furious 8-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.93

Stephen King's The Stand (Blu-ray)
$31.99
14 hrs ago
Ingmar Bergman's Cinema (Blu-ray)
$149.99

Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$35.19

Spartacus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$26.99

Lord of War 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

A Star Is Born (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The Evil Dead 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Asia

Old 12-30-2013, 04:51 AM   #41
Special Member

Feb 2012
semi-rural Japan

I watched mine, and was surprised how similar all three cuts look. There are subtle differences, but almost like the cuts were put together from the same elements. Very surprising, especially after reading above suggests restorations were done at different times. Oh, and I wouldn't worry about those zoomed in stills of anomalies, they must be pretty fleeting. During normal movie viewing (at night) I didn't notice anything more than the usual fleeting flaws that will typically pop up during films of this vintage. Nothing stood out or was distracting.
I thought the Arrow disc looked fine enough, but rewatched some of it and the new JP looks far better. To me it was comparable to the new German 4K Re-Animator vs the US BD. Pricey, but no regrets. Will keep Arrow for the extras. The Japanese trailers were interesting on this one.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:54 AM   #42
Expert Member

Aug 2009

Thanks for sharing, Dave. Look forward to the review.

Billy - while the booklet is a bit vague (and my Japanese a bit crap!), it looks like the Extended Version was primarily sourced from the 2013 HD master, with all of the "additional" footage restored and re-intergrated specifically by the Japanese company doing this release.

The Argento cut is a completely separate master from 2007.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:48 AM   #43
Special Member

Feb 2012
semi-rural Japan
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentai View Post
Thanks for sharing, Dave. Look forward to the review.

Billy - while the booklet is a bit vague (and my Japanese a bit crap!), it looks like the Extended Version was primarily sourced from the 2013 HD master, with all of the "additional" footage restored and re-intergrated specifically by the Japanese company doing this release.

The Argento cut is a completely separate master from 2007.
Cool to know. and just in case, I wasn't challenging anyone's statement, just saying it was surprising how similar all 3 cuts looked. And thought they all looked great.
I am noticing Happinet seems to have a really good track record with all the releases I've bought from them. Makes me tempted to double dip on some titles like From Beyond, and the Jodorowski films in English, but there are no guarantees. and thinking about not waiting for the UK release of Tourist Trap, even though it would probably have more extras than the JP.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:20 PM   #44
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2010
France

It would be awesome to see screencaps comparison
Old 12-30-2013, 03:35 PM   #45
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2009
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrente View Post
It would be awesome to see screencaps comparison
US Theatrical (Anchor Bay)

UK Theatrical (Arrow)

Japan Theatrical

Japan Extended

Argento Cut Frankreich

Argento Cut Japan
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (05-28-2014)
Old 01-12-2014, 09:05 AM   #46
Special Member

Feb 2012
semi-rural Japan

Having been transported by my wife from Manhattan to small town Japan I often relate to the situations in zombie films, mainly a sense of isolation, and lack of good food and various conveniences I had taken for granted. But for those of you who just freshly watched this movie again, I had a moment of recognition the other day when I had nothing in the home to eat (that I would know what it is or how to prepare) except for a can of spam.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:28 PM   #47

Jun 2010
Default nice

any news if the Uk version is due out for 35th anniversary ? dam Arrow just said they lost the rights to it

Last edited by felixthecat; 01-13-2014 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:59 PM   #48
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008

I take it since no one has said any thing about extras that this is a movie only set?
Old 01-15-2014, 11:36 PM   #49
Expert Member

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidthenikonuser View Post
I take it since no one has said any thing about extras that this is a movie only set?
It's got original trailers (including Japanese ads). That's it, really.

The Argento cut has a commentary track with Goblin... but it's only in Italian with Japanese subs, and thus kind of useless to most of us here.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:30 PM   #50

Jul 2010
Raleigh, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixthecat View Post
any news if the Uk version is due out for 35th anniversary ? dam Arrow just said they lost the rights to it
The Arrow release skyrocketed fast! I bought the US edition for $7.99 a few years ago but on the bigger screen it is near impossible to watch. The smeary DNR is very distracting. The Arrow release seems to have much less... but not for the price its going for. At this point, with Anchor Bay's unbelievable re-release of Halloween, I'm hoping for a new and improved edition. Plus, this movie deserves new special features with the current zombie craze.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:09 PM   #51
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

For some reason this isn't being mentioned here, but it seems the theatrical and extended versions of this release are encoded with the wrong color levels (RGB PC Levels instead of RGB Video Level standard). This causes incorrect colors and black levels. This is being discussed on the AVS forum:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1496542/bl...-rgb-pc-levels

Also there's some comments here about the transfers:

http://pensierieparoleblogspotcom.bl...y-of-dawn.html

"However; this new BD sadly has a few very obvious picture issues. The worst being blown out contrast levels. Contrast is elevated overall, but the real problem is that any direct light source, gleam from reflective surface, and sometimes even the sky in outdoor shots blooms and burns an intense solid white. It becomes distracting and actually hard to look at. Very reminiscent of Sony's recalled Robocop (1987) Blu-ray which also suffered similarly blazing hot white levels."

It's also been mentioned on another forum that the last 10 minutes for all 3 versions are sourced not from the new masters, but the old transfers. Sounds like a rip-off to me considering the cost of this.

Last edited by mar3o; 01-28-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:13 PM   #52
Expert Member

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar3o View Post
Also there's some comments here about the transfers...
While not entirely wrong, this reviewer hasn't figured out the whole story either.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, the "2013 HD Remaster" was a single scan of the 139 minute "Extended" print. I'm guessing it was an IP they made and then immediately vaulted for emergencies in '78 while they were rushing to get this ready for Cannes, but only Rubenstein and the people who hold those elements know for sure.

(The "Euro Cut" is a separate HD master made in 2007. The opening and closing credits are from an SD source, and the master in general looks worse than the other two. It's honestly a hot mess...)

Rather than do a separate 35mm transfer for the 127 minute Theatrical version, they just just cut the 'extra' 12 minutes of footage and synced it to the Theatrical 5.1 mix Anchor Bay created for the DVD ten years ago.
The problem is that the "Extended" print has a lot of problems not found on the master print used for the theatrical cut DVD and Blu-ray transfers; extreme contrast, heavier print damage, fluctuating and coarse grain, and so on which are constant on this new 2013 master, but never show up on Anchor Bay's 2004 print.

If you own the 2004 Anchor Bay "Ultimate Edition" DVD set you can actually tell where it switches to the 'new' footage, because the video quality drops; more specifically, it has all the same issues found on the new 2013 HD master. Same print damage, same insanely cranked up contrast, same wonky green-tinged color limitations, and same tight framing... these aren't mastering decisions made during the telecine, they're just the nature of using older materials instead of going back to either the negative, or that newly minted print.

The credits for the last few minutes (I thought it was closer to 5 - I'd have to check though) are from a completely different print. I doubt it was Anchor Bay's HD master specifically, but maybe it was from the same 35mm elements? Haven't bothered to check the credits, since it's only the tail end of the movie and there was so much else to look into...
So, yeah. Compared to that, the "PC" black level setting is a drop in the bucket.

If this new transfer had started with the 35mm print Anchor Bay made back in 2003 and then used the "Extended" print only when needed - but kept the process (telecine, grading, etc) the same otherwise - the results would have been substantially better than what we have. What a shame.
Thanks given by:
billyearle (04-11-2015), dannyd77 (10-22-2014)
Old 02-02-2014, 03:14 AM   #53
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentai View Post
While not entirely wrong, this reviewer hasn't figured out the whole story either.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, the "2013 HD Remaster" was a single scan of the 139 minute "Extended" print. I'm guessing it was an IP they made and then immediately vaulted for emergencies in '78 while they were rushing to get this ready for Cannes, but only Rubenstein and the people who hold those elements know for sure.

(The "Euro Cut" is a separate HD master made in 2007. The opening and closing credits are from an SD source, and the master in general looks worse than the other two. It's honestly a hot mess...)

Rather than do a separate 35mm transfer for the 127 minute Theatrical version, they just just cut the 'extra' 12 minutes of footage and synced it to the Theatrical 5.1 mix Anchor Bay created for the DVD ten years ago.
The problem is that the "Extended" print has a lot of problems not found on the master print used for the theatrical cut DVD and Blu-ray transfers; extreme contrast, heavier print damage, fluctuating and coarse grain, and so on which are constant on this new 2013 master, but never show up on Anchor Bay's 2004 print.

If you own the 2004 Anchor Bay "Ultimate Edition" DVD set you can actually tell where it switches to the 'new' footage, because the video quality drops; more specifically, it has all the same issues found on the new 2013 HD master. Same print damage, same insanely cranked up contrast, same wonky green-tinged color limitations, and same tight framing... these aren't mastering decisions made during the telecine, they're just the nature of using older materials instead of going back to either the negative, or that newly minted print.

The credits for the last few minutes (I thought it was closer to 5 - I'd have to check though) are from a completely different print. I doubt it was Anchor Bay's HD master specifically, but maybe it was from the same 35mm elements? Haven't bothered to check the credits, since it's only the tail end of the movie and there was so much else to look into...
So, yeah. Compared to that, the "PC" black level setting is a drop in the bucket.

If this new transfer had started with the 35mm print Anchor Bay made back in 2003 and then used the "Extended" print only when needed - but kept the process (telecine, grading, etc) the same otherwise - the results would have been substantially better than what we have. What a shame.
Thanks very much for all the info. Now I understand a lot more about the transfers. Like you said, it's a shame they didn't do things properly. What is it with this film that it can't get a proper release?
Old 02-07-2014, 05:32 PM   #54
Power Member

Apr 2013

Seems like I will be sticking to my Arrow Video blu-ray/dvd set for now. The japanese set looks great package wise (actually very similar to the italian 'ultimate edition' dvd boxset, even has the Simonetti commentary track), but there is just too much wrong with those transfers to risk the high price. I'm sure it will get another release, hopefully a definitive one as far as quality goes.
Old 04-28-2018, 06:49 PM   #55
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2009
Germany

Please forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is wrong with the new transfers? Do all 3 cuts suffer from it?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Asia