Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Drive (Blu-ray)
$27.99
14 hrs ago
Godzilla vs. Kong 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.99

The Twilight Zone: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$41.24

The Rocketeer (Blu-ray)
$8.99
1 day ago
Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99
1 day ago
The Hobbit: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$73.43
1 day ago
Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Dragonheart: 5-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Nobody 4K (Blu-ray)
$30.99

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.49

Dead & Buried 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.99

City Slickers II: The Legend of Curly's Gold (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 03-08-2014, 08:17 PM   #1
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2011
Default The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974) (40th Anniversary Edition)

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre Blu-ray (1 Disc)

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre Blu-ray (4 Disc)

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre Blu-ray ( Black Maria Limited Edition )

Quote:
It has been called grisly, sick, and perverse, , as well as raw, unshakeable, and the movie that redefined horror. It was attacked by churches, banned by governments, and acclaimed by only the bravest of critics. It stunned audiences worldwide and set a new standard in movie terror forever. Today writer-producer-director Tobe Hooper s dark, visionary tale remains unparalleled in its impact as perhaps the most frightening motion picture ever made.

To celebrate the 40th anniversary of this beloved horror classic, MPI Media Group presents the original restored film in an all-new 4k scan authorized by Tobe Hooper, featuring a dynamic new 7.1 surround sound mix and never-before-seen outtakes!
IMDB - 7.5 ( 77,663 votes )

Rotten Tomatoes - 92% ( 42 reviews counted )

https://twitter.com/darkskyfilms/sta...17855673593856

About restoration process:

Quote:
" For the new 4k transfer, MPI used the original 16mm a/b film that the movie was shot on. It went through a five month restoration process at NOLO Digital Film in Chicago, with each frame being cleaned up digitally, before color correction partially working from an earlier transfer by Hooper, and then the director gave his own notes. "MPI, they really committed," said Hooper, "and with the magic of 4K, what can be done in restoration was done.

It won't be an alarmingly pristine recreation: After all, the grime and the grit is an inherent part of 16mm. But it's the sound from that eerie flash bulb creak to the buzzing, ripping sound of the chain that Hooper believes will traumatize another generation of cineastes. He said, "The 7.1 sound is incredible, because it's really happening in your head."

Last edited by Scottie; 02-01-2017 at 12:11 AM.
Thanks given by:
hYPE (10-15-2016)
Old 03-08-2014, 08:20 PM   #2
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Sep 2010

I've never seen the original, for shame. I'll probably get this one.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:21 PM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
I've never seen the original, for shame. I'll probably get this one.
Me either. I have seen 2, TNG, and the first third of Leatherface TCM3.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:30 PM   #4
Banned

Aug 2013

I'm excited, I missed out on every decent release of this title (still rocking the non-anamorphic Pioneer re-release DVD).
Old 03-08-2014, 08:31 PM   #5
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2011

Of all TCM movies, I've only seen a remake of the original with J.Biel.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:35 PM   #6
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2012
New York City

Glad this is coming. The original is one of my favorite horror movies and I didn't get the last release.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:48 PM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2012
USA

I grabbed their 2008 disc for cheap so I'll be game for a double-dip.

(Still have the 2003 Pioneer DVD too, for whatever reason. I think it might have some extras not duplicated elsewhere.)

Hopefully they'll preserve the stereo and monaural soundtracks, in addition to whatever new-fangled 7.1 mix they cook up. A movie like this practically screams to seen with its original lo-fi audio.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:48 PM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2011
Arizona, USA

I've seen and own the original, the remake and that movie's prequel. I also own TCM 2 but have not seen it yet. I'm not in love with the original but there are many cool things about it. The opening and ending are awesome in particular. The remake was ok to me, I actually liked the prequel a little more but that was partly due to Jordanna Brewster . I have not picked up the previous Blu-ray of the original so I am excited about picking this up. I may even check it out in theaters, seems like a great movie theater experience!
Old 03-08-2014, 08:51 PM   #9
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2012
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlk5844 View Post
I've seen and own the original, the remake and that movie's prequel. I also own TCM 2 but have not seen it yet. I'm not in love with the original but there are many cool things about it. The opening and ending are awesome in particular. The remake was ok to me, I actually liked the prequel a little more but that was partly due to Jordanna Brewster . I have not picked up the previous Blu-ray of the original so I am excited about picking this up. I may even check it out in theaters, seems like a great movie theater experience!
I saw a midnight screening of it some years ago and it definitely is.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:06 PM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2012
N. Carolina

Thank you... THIS is an announcement.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:29 PM   #11
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2011
SoCal, CA

Good thing I don't have this yet. Now I can get this new version
Old 03-08-2014, 09:34 PM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2012
N. Carolina

I have it (just recently bought it too...) But I don't have a huge problem with upgrading, personally I hope they port everything over so I can rid myself of the current one all together. Don't need two of the same movie on my shelf.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:36 PM   #13
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2012
Georgia

I used to own this original movie on DVD, but I'm glad that I've postponed upgrading it to Blu-ray.

This original 1974 version of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is the real deal in terms of horror cinema. These are some truly feral and twisted villains. The funny thing is that this movie really is not all that gory in outright visceral terms, but its reputation as one of the most disturbing movies is nonetheless well-deserved. It's a great lesson in how less is more when it comes to scaring people.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is one of those movies that you do not want to spiff up too much in terms of picture quality, because you'll defeat the purpose. For this reason, I like the disclaimer in the above description about the inherent grime and grit of the presentation.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:40 PM   #14
Banned

Aug 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Owl View Post
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is one of those movies that you do not want to spiff up too much in terms of picture quality, because you'll defeat the purpose. For this reason, I like the disclaimer in the above description about the inherent grime and grit of the presentation.
Shouldn't that go for spiffing up anything? I mean, at least imo, the best presentation is the one that provides the most immediate and consistent representation of the film with the most detail as possible. Any kind of spiffing up that goes against that, for any film, is destructive and problematic, once again imo.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:44 PM   #15
Power Member

Jun 2010

I have the 2003 edition DVD with the meat packaging cover, the OOP Bluray and I want the 40th anniversary edition also. It doesn't get any more scary then this film. I have seen this movie so many times because each time it still terrifies me. I can not wait for this new version. I recently found out my OOP bluray has a small scratch on the disc that effects a minute of the movie that wont play on any bluray player. Its really irritating. I was thinking of buying another copy but I will just wait for the new and improved 40th edition.

edit. If they used the original film for the 4K restoration, does that mean they used the one that was donated to that famous museum?

Last edited by evoxturbo; 03-08-2014 at 09:50 PM.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:49 PM   #16
Blu-ray Duke

Nov 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoxturbo View Post
I have the 2003 edition DVD with the meat packaging cover, the OOP Bluray and I want the 40th anniversary edition also. It doesn't get any more scary then this film. I have seen this movie so many times because each time it still terrifies me. I can not wait for this new version. I recently found out my OOP bluray has a small scratch on the disc that effects a minute of the movie that wont play on any bluray player. Its really irritating. I was thinking of buying another copy but I will just wait for the new and improved 40th edition.
I used to have this version on DVD...

Then I bought the Dark Sky Blu-ray and traded my DVD copy in. I'm not sure if I'll get the 40th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray. It depends what's all on it.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:00 PM   #17
Power Member

Aug 2008
San Fransokyo

I have the steel book DVD from Dark Sky around 06-07. I also owned the first DVD release back when it was first on the format. Still can't get the wife to watch this...it just has that reputation.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:19 PM   #18
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009

I tweeted Dark Sky and asked them to keep all of the grain and not to go overboard with DNR. They responded: "Gotcha."
Old 03-08-2014, 10:45 PM   #19

Aug 2012
Nashville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edword View Post
Good thing I don't have this yet. Now I can get this new version
Same here!
Old 03-08-2014, 10:49 PM   #20

May 2009
New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akijama View Post
Of all TCM movies, I've only seen a remake of the original with J.Biel.
No shame in that. That film was one of the best remakes ever made. There has only been three remakes that I consider on par with their originals.. TCM, Dawn of the Dead and The Thing (in The Things case, it's better).

Big fan of the TCM series here, will be getting this new release even though I can't see it being much of an improvement over the existing release, which I thought was stunning.

Bring on Parts 3 and 4.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America