Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Pacific Rim: Uprising 3D (Blu-ray)
£9.99

Age of Consent (Blu-ray)
£14.99

The Wrong Box (Blu-ray)
£14.99
3 hrs ago
Georgy Girl (Blu-ray)
£14.99
8 hrs ago
Doctor Who: Twice Upon A Time (Blu-ray)
£7.79

First Man (Blu-ray)
£14.99

First Man 4K (Blu-ray)
£24.99
17 hrs ago
Rats: Night of Terror (Blu-ray)
£9.99
3 hrs ago
Gosford Park (Blu-ray)
£14.99

Dragon Ball Super: Season 1 - Part 4 (Blu-ray)
£14.99

Children of Men (Blu-ray)
£14.99

Blockers (Blu-ray)
£7.49

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Old 10-14-2014, 08:12 PM   #201
Expert Member

May 2013

DTS 5.1 confirmed in the French Box Set I have and no Massive Attack theme song
Old 10-14-2014, 11:13 PM   #202
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009
Central Florida

I finally gave in and picked up the Region A releases of Seasons 6-8. Still on the fence about importing Seasons 1-5 and if so, what versions to purchase. That being said, I just added Seasons 6-8 to My Movies for WMC7 which is my on-screen solution for browsing my Blu-ray collection and initiating playback of a given disc, all my discs housed in Sony Blu-ray changers. In any event, in tribute to Universal not giving a <insert expletive here> about offering the entire series on Blu-ray for Region A I created my own boxset for Seasons 6-8 based on the DVD boxset of the series that was released a couple years ago. Thought those of you that enjoy the show as much as I do might like to check it out and in particular, the modified product description I give to the boxset. Pic action below. :-P

House M.D.: The Incomplete Series Collection

Last edited by AmishParadise; 10-27-2014 at 05:23 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:21 AM   #203
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishParadise View Post
I finally gave in and picked up the Region A releases of Seasons 6-8. Still on the fence about importing Seasons 1-5 and if so, what versions to purchase. That being said, I just added Seasons 6-8 to My Movies for WMC7 which is my on-screen solution for browsing my Blu-ray collection and initiating playback of a given disc, all my discs housed in Sony Blu-ray changers. In any event, in tribute to Universal not giving a <insert expletive here> about offering the entire series on Blu-ray for Region A I created my own boxset for Seasons 6-8 based on the DVD boxset of the series that was released a couple years ago. Thought those of you that enjoy the show as much as I do might like to check it out and in particular, the modified product description I give to the boxset. Pic action below. :-P

House M.D.: The Incomplete Series Collection

House M.D.: The Incomplete Series Collection (Season 6)
[Show spoiler]

House M.D.: The Incomplete Series Collection (Season 7)
[Show spoiler]

House M.D.: The Incomplete Series Collection (Season 8)
[Show spoiler]
I think it's more a case of Uni caring too much to give you a shit release crammed with 8 billion dubs, and it's probably the dubs that make the set viable in the first place. I've no idea why they didn't include lossless audio though, Suits has lossless audio for it's dubs, and surprisingly, given it has 5 or 6 dubs, doesn't sound too bad.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:13 PM   #204
Banned

Sep 2010
France

I don't think dubs are the reasons since there isn't so many of them on the House MD sets.
Having 4 or 5 dubs doesn't prevent having at least the main language in a lossless track.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:56 PM   #205
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2011
London

Quote:
I finally gave in and picked up the Region A releases of Seasons 6-8. Still on the fence about importing Seasons 1-5 and if so, what versions to purchase.
Sorry to nit-pick, but the American releases are region free, not just A.
Old 10-15-2014, 05:03 PM   #206
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009
Central Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinemaScope View Post
Sorry to nit-pick, but the American releases are region free, not just A.
Not being nit-picky at all. Thanks for pointing that out. Region locked titles do annoy me to no end. It's great that those who fall outside of Region A can enjoy the US releases of House, M.D. which offer the English lossless track without needing a region free player or taking other measures to take the region coding out of the equation. *wink, wink*

Last edited by AmishParadise; 10-15-2014 at 05:14 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 05:14 PM   #207
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009
Central Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz201 View Post
I think it's more a case of Uni caring too much to give you a shit release crammed with 8 billion dubs, and it's probably the dubs that make the set viable in the first place. I've no idea why they didn't include lossless audio though, Suits has lossless audio for it's dubs, and surprisingly, given it has 5 or 6 dubs, doesn't sound too bad.
And Universal shouldn't be cramming a given release with an unreasonable amount of dubs and certainly not dubs that fall outside the languages designated for the given region the release is intended for. No one should be expecting otherwise. Releasing a title per region provides for maintaining a consistent level of quality with the format while at the same time still allowing for offering a lossless track per the original language of the title and at most the primary language designated for the region the release is intended for if it happens to be something different and there's sufficient room for it without sacrificing video quality. Above and beyond that, any additional dubs offered should be considered icing on the cake and offered as lossy tracks only if there's not room left on the discs otherwise.

As to your comment about the dubs making this House M.D. release viable in the first place, the dubs only make the release viable in the first place naturally if you don't speak or understand the original language of the presentation well enough and don't want to read subtitles. Only knowing English myself I personally can't stand English dubs. If the original language is a something different I will always choose the original language in conjunction with the English subtitle track. That being said, based on the US release of House, M.D. Seasons 6-8 there was still 3.5gb of free space on average for each disc, the three seasons offering 22 episodes on average spread across 5 BD-50's per season. As such, there's no reason why an English lossless track couldn't have been offered for these House M.D. releases outside of the US. It was just decided to not include the lossless track for whatever reason. Available disc space certainly shouldn't have been the reason and with 3.5gb still to spare after including the English lossless track there still would have been plenty of room to offer several dubs that fall under the given region the release is intended for if available, including any number of subtitle tracks.

Last edited by AmishParadise; 10-15-2014 at 06:47 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:55 AM   #208
Special Member

Feb 2011
Exclamation

down to 103 pounds , should have just brought it when it was cheaper
Old 10-17-2014, 08:47 AM   #209
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikezilla2 View Post
down to 103 pounds , should have just brought it when it was cheaper
It's 75 on Zavvi, and they often give out 10% off codes. The packaging might come damaged, but if you aren't anoracky it may be worth it...
Thanks given by:
mikezilla2 (10-17-2014)
Old 10-17-2014, 08:57 AM   #210
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2012

Quote:
And Universal shouldn't be cramming a given release with an unreasonable amount of dubs and certainly not dubs that fall outside the languages designated for the given region the release is intended for. No one should be expecting otherwise. Releasing a title per region provides for maintaining a consistent level of quality with the format while at the same time still allowing for offering a lossless track per the original language of the title and at most the primary language designated for the region the release is intended for if it happens to be something different and there's sufficient room for it without sacrificing video quality. Above and beyond that, any additional dubs offered should be considered icing on the cake and offered as lossy tracks only if there's not room left on the discs otherwise.

As to your comment about the dubs making this House M.D. release viable in the first place, the dubs only make the release viable in the first place naturally if you don't speak or understand the original language of the presentation well enough and don't want to read subtitles. Only knowing English myself I personally can't stand English dubs. If the original language is a something different I will always choose the original language in conjunction with the English subtitle track. That being said, based on the US release of House, M.D. Seasons 6-8 there was still 3.5gb of free space on average for each disc, the three seasons offering 22 episodes on average spread across 5 BD-50's per season. As such, there's no reason why an English lossless track couldn't have been offered for these House M.D. releases outside of the US. It was just decided to not include the lossless track for whatever reason. Available disc space certainly shouldn't have been the reason and with 3.5gb still to spare after including the English lossless track there still would have been plenty of room to offer several dubs that fall under the given region the release is intended for if available, including any number of subtitle tracks.
Except Universal do. Welcome to the rest of the world, where we're regularly treated like shit so they can cram the release to multiple countries. Although we do occasionally get an English only master, intended purely for the UK & Ireland and Australia & New Zealand.

I meant financially viable, as in the release is probably only possible because they can use the same master (and it wouldn't surprise me if they used the same discs too) in most of Europe which tends to favor dubs over subs (except Scandinavia). Generally the more something is produced, the cheaper it becomes, so I'm guessing the reason Europe is getting TV releases from Universal and the US isn't, is that Universal are willing to place multiple dubs on a disc, meaning the same master and discs can be used in multiple countries, whereas they seemingly aren't in North America.

All of that said, it still doesn't explain why they couldn't be bothered to produce at least an English lossless audio track. I wonder if a lossless track wasn't available for the first seasons, so rather than doing extra work, they just downgraded later seasons? (Because, as said before, Suits has lossless audio, something it's something specifically about House that's problematic)
Old 10-17-2014, 11:05 AM   #211
Special Member

Feb 2011

Quote:
It's 75 on Zavvi, and they often give out 10% off codes. The packaging might come damaged, but if you aren't anoracky it may be worth it...
hmm might wait till its less then 65 again ....
Old 10-21-2014, 04:56 PM   #212
Expert Member

Oct 2011

59.99 now on zavvi

http://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/house-m.../10935419.html
Thanks given by:
Thane (10-22-2014)
Old 10-22-2014, 09:29 AM   #213

Jun 2009
UK

Lowest its ever been I believe, very tempting...
Old 10-22-2014, 01:04 PM   #214

Jul 2009

well.....

no episode guide for each disc? mmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-22-2014, 03:07 PM   #215
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcohaila View Post
well.....

That happens a lot with Zavvi, generally with that type of slip, which is why I previously warned people the packaging would probably come damaged, so it is best not to be too anoracky. Probably should have made that warning clearer...
Old 10-22-2014, 03:15 PM   #216
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2013
United Kingdom

Looks like they've been playing football with that in the PO before sending it out for delivery!
Old 10-22-2014, 04:27 PM   #217

May 2010

Holding out hope for the higher quality audio rumored for the French release, I received mine about a week ago. Instead of being square, the "box" is in an H shape, with Seasons 1-4 in one side, and 5-8 in the other.

Exactly like the previous picture, there are no books or info about the discs. Just discs in kinda large cases. But the audio quality has been excellent, the picture quality is too, and I'm really happy with having the series on blu. Just a shame I spent a little too much, because that UK release for 59 euros would have been a few $20's American cheaper.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:28 PM   #218

Jun 2009
UK

Quote:
That happens a lot with Zavvi, generally with that type of slip, which is why I previously warned people the packaging would probably come damaged, so it is best not to be too anoracky. Probably should have made that warning clearer...
That looks like it's Amazon packaging not Zavvi.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:33 PM   #219
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane View Post
That looks like it's Amazon packaging not Zavvi.
You're right, I briefly looked at it and assumed it was Zavvi, because it's the kind of shit you normally get off Zavvi. This better not be a race to the bottom...
Old 10-22-2014, 04:54 PM   #220
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2011
London

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcohaila View Post

No only that, but no menu whatsoever on the discs. It just plays the first episode on the disc & you have to flick through the chapters to get to the next episode & so on. I've never had a set like this one.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland