Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Age of Consent (Blu-ray)
£14.99

Pacific Rim: Uprising 3D (Blu-ray)
£9.99

The Wrong Box (Blu-ray)
£14.99
16 hrs ago
Rats: Night of Terror (Blu-ray)
£9.99
16 hrs ago
Georgy Girl (Blu-ray)
£14.99
21 hrs ago
First Man (Blu-ray)
£14.99

Doctor Who: Twice Upon A Time (Blu-ray)
£7.79

First Man 4K (Blu-ray)
£24.99

Star Wars: The Clone Wars, The Complete Season Five (Blu-ray)
£9.05
12 hrs ago
Children of Men (Blu-ray)
£14.99

Charlie Bubbles (Blu-ray)
£14.99
14 hrs ago
Blockers (Blu-ray)
£7.49

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Old 10-22-2014, 05:14 PM   #221
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009
Central Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz201 View Post
That happens a lot with Zavvi, generally with that type of slip, which is why I previously warned people the packaging would probably come damaged, so it is best not to be too anoracky. Probably should have made that warning clearer...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane View Post
That looks like it's Amazon packaging not Zavvi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz201 View Post
You're right, I briefly looked at it and assumed it was Zavvi, because it's the kind of shit you normally get off Zavvi. This better not be a race to the bottom...
The package would not have left Amazon in that condition. It was clearly damaged in transit. Whoever delivered the package for Amazon is where the buyer should focus their attention and it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to let Amazon know as well as they obviously have an invested interest in their products getting to their customers undamaged.

Last edited by AmishParadise; 10-22-2014 at 05:18 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:20 PM   #222
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009
Central Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinemaScope View Post
No only that, but no menu whatsoever on the discs. It just plays the first episode on the disc & you have to flick through the chapters to get to the next episode & so on. I've never had a set like this one.
That's amazing. Is there not even a pop-up menu?
Old 10-22-2014, 05:54 PM   #223
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2011
London

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishParadise View Post
That's amazing. Is there not even a pop-up menu?
That's right, bugger all. You put the disc in, first up comes the Universal logo, then a language selection & then it's play. If you're looking for a particular episode & you're not sure where it is in the season, it's a case of putting in the first disc, going through it, then onto the second & so on, & if you don't know what season it's in, good luck, it could take you a good long while to find it! As I say, I've never known a set like this before.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:01 PM   #224
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2013
United Kingdom

It's a Universal menu;

You pick your language, and then it's into the 'symbols' menu, as per above.
Thanks given by:
merkman (10-23-2014)
Old 10-22-2014, 06:17 PM   #225
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009
Central Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouncilSpectre View Post
It's a Universal menu;

You pick your language, and then it's into the 'symbols' menu, as per above.
Is there a video that plays in the background on that I assume?
Old 10-22-2014, 06:57 PM   #226
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2012

Exactly like the Suits set, although with Suits somebody made the unfortunate mistake of using white on very light blue on the S1 menu, so as a consequence it's almost unreadable...
Old 10-22-2014, 09:37 PM   #227
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2011
London

Quote:
No.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:43 AM   #228
Special Member

Feb 2011
Question

cheers guys orderd.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:08 AM   #229
Banned

May 2009

Quote:
That's right, bugger all. You put the disc in, first up comes the Universal logo, then a language selection & then it's play. If you're looking for a particular episode & you're not sure where it is in the season, it's a case of putting in the first disc, going through it, then onto the second & so on, & if you don't know what season it's in, good luck, it could take you a good long while to find it! As I say, I've never known a set like this before.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_House_episodes

Why would a set need to come with an episode guide when you can easily find the information online at a variety of free sources?
Old 10-23-2014, 07:17 AM   #230
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2011
London

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinMaster View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_House_episodes

Why would a set need to come with an episode guide when you can easily find the information online at a variety of free sources?
Well if you have the box set why should you need to go online? I don't need to with any other box sets I have. It just needs a page between the language set-up & the play page, listing the episodes on the disc. I really don't think that's too much to ask.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:26 AM   #231
Banned

May 2009

Quote:
Well if you have the box set why should you need to go online? I don't need to with any other box sets I have. It just needs a page between the language set-up & the play page, listing the episodes on the disc. I really don't think that's too much to ask.
But if you weren't sure which disc the episode was on it would still be way faster to look at a full episode list online then check every disc. Having the episode titles in the menu doesn't stop you from having to load up each disc.

If I'm looking for a specific episode of a show I always check the Wikipedia page before ever putting a disc in, it's much faster regardless of what the disc does or doesn't have in its menu.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:06 AM   #232
Special Member

Feb 2011

if you pay that much money you exspect a product would have those sort of luxerys
Old 10-23-2014, 10:15 AM   #233
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2013
United Kingdom

It's always nice to get such things, for sure, but I never really expect it. I have a general dislike for Universal's menu system, so the lack of titles for individual episodes on these discs falls under that for me - I'm not happy about it, but ultimately, for the price, I can live with it.

I have a general rule of thumb that says that I like to pick up TV shows at 1 per episode or less. With this set, I paid 65 - that's 36.5p per episode. More than happy with that. Plus extras on the discs as well.

For that kind of price I guess I can live with the deficiencies.
Thanks given by:
mikezilla2 (10-23-2014)
Old 10-23-2014, 11:38 AM   #234
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2011
London

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouncilSpectre View Post
With this set, I paid 65 - that's 36.5p per episode. More than happy with that. Plus extras on the discs as well.

For that kind of price I guess I can live with the deficiencies.
Yeah, in the end, me too. It is damn cheap. Just think, they want 35 for ten episodes of Game Of thrones season four.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:57 PM   #235
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2013
United Kingdom

Quote:
Yeah, in the end, me too. It is damn cheap. Just think, they want 35 for ten episodes of Game Of thrones season four.
When Star Trek TNG first came out on DVD it was about 80 for one season. Stargate SG1 it was about 15 for 4 or 5 episodes. Hell, before that if you go back to VHS it was usually about 15 for two episodes!
Old 10-23-2014, 07:08 PM   #236
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009
Central Florida

Quote:
It's not unreasonable to expect at the very least for the title selection menu to call out the episode name as well and not just a number and a thumbnail. If people want to make excuses for it by all means. Doesn't mean your expectations in turn should be lowered.

Last edited by AmishParadise; 10-28-2014 at 12:02 AM.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:43 PM   #237

May 2010

Quote:
No only that, but no menu whatsoever on the discs. It just plays the first episode on the disc & you have to flick through the chapters to get to the next episode & so on. I've never had a set like this one.
Well, the menus aren't great, and I've only looked at the FIRST disc, first 5 episodes. But when I put the disc in and it "auto plays", it shows the Universal (a Comcast company) logo, it goes through some "don't steal videos" stuff, then it comes to a main menu. If I go the the 3rd icon, I can see the five episodes and choose which one I want to play and it begins.

Now again, I bought the French release, not the UK set. So maybe mine are different. But I have simple menus, at least on the first disc.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:44 PM   #238

May 2010

Quote:
Yup. That's exactly what happened with my first disc.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:34 PM   #239
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2013
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by merkman View Post
Well, the menus aren't great, and I've only looked at the FIRST disc, first 5 episodes. But when I put the disc in and it "auto plays", it shows the Universal (a Comcast company) logo, it goes through some "don't steal videos" stuff, then it comes to a main menu. If I go the the 3rd icon, I can see the five episodes and choose which one I want to play and it begins.

Now again, I bought the French release, not the UK set. So maybe mine are different. But I have simple menus, at least on the first disc.
The picture I posted above is from the UK set, sounds like it's exactly the same as your French version.
Thanks given by:
merkman (10-23-2014)
Old 10-23-2014, 09:23 PM   #240
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2011
London

Quote:
Originally Posted by merkman View Post

Yep you're right, well done. The little pictures are b/w, you pick one & it turns colour, press select & it plays, & doing it that way, when the episode is finished it goes back to that menu, so you can select an other episode.
Thanks given by:
merkman (10-23-2014)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland