Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Black Friday Deals Week is Live »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Full Metal Jacket 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
58 min ago
His Dark Materials: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99
3 hrs ago
Game of Thrones: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$115.99
1 hr ago
Requiem for a Dream 4K (Blu-ray)
$7.99

The Flintstones: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$44.98
1 day ago
1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$7.99

Star Trek: The Original Motion Picture Collection (Blu-ray)
$9.96
1 day ago
Game of Thrones: The Complete Eighth Season 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
2 hrs ago
Gamera: The Showa Era (Blu-ray)
$72.99
22 hrs ago
Game of Thrones: The Complete Collector's Set (Blu-ray)
$153.99
1 hr ago
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99

007: The Daniel Craig Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

View Poll Results: IMAX or Atmos for your next "Event" movie
IMAX 20 51.28%
Dolby Atmos 19 48.72%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-22-2014, 08:15 AM   #1

Sep 2013
Default IMAX or Atmos

So, if you had to choose between IMAX or Atmos for your next big movie you wanted to see, what would it be and why?

I know there is a huge rage about film vs digital IMAX, (that debate is rather old) I know the difference and love the 15/70 image however now that the IMAX theatres in my area are digital, I really don't care anymore.

For me: I would much rather watch a movie in IMAX than Atmos. I feel that IMAX puts "event" into "event movie" if you know what I mean. I also like to sit closer to the screen so IMAX gets me pretty close. The speaker placement in IMAX is better IMO as my ears seem to like it and the dual projection is rather cool. Nothing beats IMAX 3D, even though I don't like 3D all that much.

The theatre close to me is a former 15/70 documentary IMAX theatre that is now digital, but everything else is still very much the same.

Last edited by MrsMiniver; 03-22-2014 at 08:21 AM.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:24 AM   #2
Banned

Feb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMiniver View Post
So, if you had to choose between IMAX or Atmos for your next big movie you wanted to see, what would it be?

I know there is a huge rage about film vs digital IMAX, (that debate is rather old) I know the difference and love the 15/70 image however now that the IMAX theatres in my area are digital, I really don't care anymore.

For me: I would much rather watch a movie in IMAX than Atmos. I feel that IMAX puts "event" into "event movie" if you know what I mean. I also like to sit closer to the screen so IMAX gets me pretty close. The speaker placement in IMAX is better IMO as my ears seem to like it and the dual projection is rather cool. Nothing beats IMAX 3D, even though I don't like 3D all that much.

The theatre close to me is a former 15/70 documentary IMAX theatre that is now digital, but everything else is still very much the same.
Insufficient specification.

IMAX is a combination of proprietary projection (either film or digital) and proprietary audio.

Dolby Atmos is an audio format that is typically found in better venues, such as a multiplex's biggest screen. However, since installation is not standardized across chains (i.e. AMC, Cinemark, Regal, etc.), the experience can vary greatly.

Having said that, Digital IMAX uses two 2K projectors, whereas other places now use single 4K projectors. IMAX's claim is that two projectors increases brightness, but in my experience, that's not really true. Moreover, you're getting less resolution.

Last edited by vsoba; 03-22-2014 at 08:27 AM.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:25 AM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008

I'd probably go to the Atmos screenings, though I don't care much about that particular technology. Still cheaper and better image quality than IMAX (at the theaters near me anyhow).
Old 03-22-2014, 08:27 AM   #4

Sep 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsoba View Post
Insufficient specification.

IMAX is a combination of proprietary projection (either film or digital) and proprietary audio.

Dolby Atmos is an audio format that is typically found in better venues, such as a multiplex's biggest screen. However, since installation is not standardized across chains (i.e. AMC, Cinemark, Regal, etc.), the experience can vary greatly.
So I am assuming you would not pay or take a chance on Atmos as you have no idea what you might be getting?
Old 03-22-2014, 08:28 AM   #5

Sep 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post
I'd probably go to the Atmos screenings, though I don't care much about that particular technology. Still cheaper and better image quality than IMAX (at the theaters near me anyhow).
Just curious, why do you not care for it?
Old 03-22-2014, 08:29 AM   #6
Banned

Feb 2014

Quote:
Cinemark charges more for their XD tickets than they do their IMAX tickets, which is odd since all XD profits are kept in-house whereas they have to share IMAX profits with IMAX.

Quote:
So I am assuming you would not pay or take a chance on Atmos as you have no idea what you might be getting?
I have seen movies in Atmos theaters. I didn't find the experience substantially better than the typical 5.1/7.1 configurations. For Atmos to be exemplary, several factors have to be considered:

1) Did the sound mixers/editors make full use of all 64 channels? If the original mix is only 5.1 or 7.1 channels, Dolby Atmos makes no difference whatsoever. (Here's a list of movies with Atmos mixes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Atmos )

2) At what point do several of the channels simply blend or cancel each other given the auditorium size? Remember, there's only so much that sound can travel in an enclosed environment, and we perceive sound much more differently when outdoors.

3) Are you in an auditorium with a screen that covers the entire wall in front of you, or does the screen "float" mid-air? The combination of image size and audio will have a psychological effect on how "impressed" you will be with the overall experience.

Last edited by vsoba; 03-22-2014 at 08:38 AM.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:35 AM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008

Quote:
Just curious, why do you not care for it?
I just don't feel it adds much more to the film compared to regular 5.1 surround. Granted, I've only seen two films in Atmos, The Hobbit and something else, maybe they just didn't make particularly notable use of it. If a movie has an Atmos mix, I'll probably see it, but I'm not going too far out of my way for it.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:41 AM   #8

Sep 2013

Quote:
Cinemark charges more for their XD tickets than they do their IMAX tickets, which is odd since all XD profits are kept in-house whereas they have to share IMAX profits with IMAX.

I have seen movies in Atmos theaters. I didn't find the experience substantially better than the typical 5.1/7.1 configurations. For Atmos to be exemplary, several factors have to be considered:

1) Did the sound mixers/editors make full use of all 64 channels?

2) At what point do several of the channels simply blend or cancel each other given the auditorium size? Remember, there's only so much that sound can travel in an enclosed environment, and we perceive sound much more differently when outdoors.

3) Are you in an auditorium with a screen that covers the entire wall in front of you, or does the screen "float" mid-air? The combination of image size and audio will have a psychological effect on how "impressed" you will be with the overall experience.
Quote:
I just don't feel it adds much more to the film compared to regular 5.1 surround. Granted, I've only seen two films in Atmos, The Hobbit and something else, maybe they just didn't make particularly notable use of it. If a movie has an Atmos mix, I'll probably see it, but I'm not going too far out of my way for it.
Fair enough to both of you, I for one don't really think a single channel (1 out of 64 in Atmos) coming out of one individual surround speaker should be celebrated, that is not enough speaker to fill a large room. IMAX from what I understand modifies the soundtrack to "their" liking so you hear a lot more music/score from the two large direct surrounds than you would in any other auditorium.

I saw Gravity in Atmos and then in IMAX, both were good but I think it was good because the audio mix was very good and had nothing to do with being in Atmos or IMAX per say.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:46 AM   #9
Banned

Feb 2014

Quote:
Fair enough to both of you, I for one don't really think a single channel (1 out of 64 in Atmos) coming out of one individual surround speaker should be celebrated, that is not enough speaker to fill a large room. IMAX from what I understand modifies the soundtrack to "their" liking so you hear a lot more music/score from the two large direct surrounds than you would in any other auditorium.

I saw Gravity in Atmos and then in IMAX, both were good but I think it was good because the audio mix was very good and had nothing to do with being in Atmos or IMAX per say.
Yes, that's what IMAX does -- which is a problem.

IMAX's proprietary audio encoding only has 5.1 channels. If a mix is natively 7.1 or higher, you are not getting the full audio experience as intended by the filmmakers.

Unfortunately, the cinema experience is hampered by turf wars, legal battles, patents, and petty squabbles between various exhibitors. Ideally, IMAX should license Atmos from Dolby, but they are a company that prefers to do everything in-house.

Last edited by vsoba; 03-22-2014 at 08:51 AM.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:50 AM   #10

Sep 2013

Quote:
Yes, that's what IMAX does -- which is a problem.

IMAX's proprietary audio encoding only has 5.1 channels. If a mix is natively 7.1 or higher, you are not getting the full audio experience as intended by the filmmakers.
That too me is not an issue and is not a problem. I can't stand 7.1, I had that in my HT and recently changed it to a 5.1 layout.

And whole in "way it was intended to be seen" is played out and overated.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:53 AM   #11
Banned

Feb 2014

Quote:
And whole in "way it was intended to be seen" is played out and overated.
Why bother with either IMAX or Atmos, then? Why not just look for the cheapest early bird special or wait for movies to appear in discount theaters?
Old 03-22-2014, 08:57 AM   #12

Sep 2013

Quote:
Why bother with either IMAX or Atmos, then? Why not just look for the cheapest early bird special or wait for movies to appear in discount theaters?
IMAX makes it fun IMO, it is more of an event movie and the IMAX theater near me is a real gem. It still has the film aspect ratio screen and rumors are Interstellar will be in 70 mm when released. You can see the dual 15/70 projectors side by side in the projection booth.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:04 AM   #13
Banned

Feb 2014

Quote:
IMAX makes it fun IMO, it is more of an event movie and the IMAX theater near me is a real gem. It still has the film aspect ratio screen and rumors are Interstellar will be in 70 mm when released. You can see the dual 15/70 projectors side by side in the projection booth.
It appears that that movie will have some footage shot in IMAX.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0816692/...ef_=tt_dt_spec

In which case, yes, it'll be nice to see it in IMAX if you like shifting ratios (though apparently some people here don't).

However, image is not the same as audio. IMAX only has 5.1 channels of sound. Dolby Atmos can be paired with any size/type/condition of screen and projector (including a crappy, uncalibrated one) as long as the movie theater is willing to pay for it. This is not really an apples to apples comparison.

Last edited by vsoba; 03-22-2014 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:09 AM   #14
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

Either way, the presentation is always free for me, so if there was no other factor other than choosing IMAX or ATMOS, IMAX would win every time.

HOWEVER! In the real world, the nearest IMAX theatre is actually just too inconveniently located for me. I can get to a very nice DOLBY ATMOS theatre in less than 15 minutes. Nearest IMAX would take over an hour and would require 4 or 5 public transit transfers for 1 direction of that trip.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:10 AM   #15
Power Member

Dec 2012
UK

Why isn't there a cinema what combines both IMAX at Atmos? Is there a reason why?
Old 03-22-2014, 09:13 AM   #16
Banned

Feb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenexus6 View Post
Why isn't there a cinema what combines both IMAX at Atmos? Is there a reason why?
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...97&postcount=9
Old 03-22-2014, 12:09 PM   #17
Power Member

Dec 2012
UK

Quote:
Ah missed that, thanks.. damn shame!
Old 03-22-2014, 04:53 PM   #18

Sep 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petra_Kalbrain View Post
Either way, the presentation is always free for me, so if there was no other factor other than choosing IMAX or ATMOS, IMAX would win every time.
If you had to pay?
Old 03-22-2014, 05:15 PM   #19
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

Quote:
If you had to pay?
If I had to pay, I would say that it depends on the film being shown. But, in the long run I would say that IMAX would probably win out about 65% of the time. Again, this is also basing the scenario on having both theatres relatively equidistant from my place of residence.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:18 PM   #20

Sep 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petra_Kalbrain View Post
If I had to pay, I would say that it depends on the film being shown. But, in the long run I would say that IMAX would probably win out about 65% of the time.
Thanks for being honest and not turning your comments into a film vs digital debate.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies