Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Castle of the Creeping Flesh (Blu-ray)
$15.98
4 hrs ago
My Fair Lady 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96
1 day ago
Django 4K + Texas, Adios (Blu-ray)
$42.99

News of the World 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Big Fish 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.50

The Croods: A New Age 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.72
8 hrs ago
Western Classics II (Blu-ray)
$34.99
18 hrs ago
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

The Croods: 2-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$25.23
6 hrs ago
Monster Hunter (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Ultraman Taro: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$23.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 07:49 AM   #1

Jun 2012
Default The Last Shark (1981) from Shocking Entertainment

Shocking Entertainment (Japan) is releasing the Italian movie The Last Shark (1981) on Blu-ray and it will be available in the US exclusively through RetroVision Entertainment. It will be limited to 1000 copies. You can visit their FB page to discuss this release.

https://www.facebook.com/retrovisionfilms

Pre-order link:

http://www.retrovisionfilms.com/products-blu-ray/

Mock-up art:

Last Shark.jpg

Last edited by Lacenaire; 06-13-2014 at 12:24 AM.

Thanks given by:
omenboy (06-12-2014)
Old 06-12-2014, 07:50 AM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
Fort Scott, KS

I missed the last LE release of this, hopefully I can snag one of these

Old 06-12-2014, 08:01 AM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011
Boulder City, Nevada

Quite a cheesy yet fun Italian Jaws wannabe, i liked this since i obtained a bootleg copy at a convention.

Who thinks this would had been fun if MST3K found a copy and mocked it?

Old 06-12-2014, 08:18 AM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
Fort Scott, KS

Here are a couple of quotes from RetroVision about this

"What would you all say about "The Last Shark" on Blu-ray? We have a partner in Japan who is currently working with the Japanese rights holders to release an English-friendly Blu-ray of "The Last Shark" and if all goes well, RetroVision will have the chance to sell it exclusively online through our site! Thoughts?"

"LAST SHARK BLU UPDATE: Our partner has been given a hefty price for licensing the film for Blu-ray, but, if the support is truly there, it can happen. Share this picture and comment if you want to see "The Last Shark" on Blu-ray for the first time ever for its 35th anniversary! This cover is mock-up made to help the cause, and might just end up being the final art, if the fans love it!"

So seems like it's gonna be a Japanese release that will be imported to the US and from the wording it seems like it won't be cheap. I know the movie is "banned" in the USA so I wonder if they will actually get away with releasing this or if Universal will block it

Old 06-12-2014, 03:37 PM   #5

Jan 2011

Brannon (from RetroVision) here. The deal was done in Japan, and the licensee gives us exclusive terms to help push it internationally, since the licensee intentionally made it Region Free and 100% English-friendly. He will also sell them in Japan too, but RetroVision acts as the international distributor for North America and Europe based purchases. The disc is made in Japan and imported to us. Universal has never had an issue with the Amazon release nor the LE release in 2013.

To put it simply: Shocking Entertainment (Japan) acquires a license for the film and makes the discs, while RetroVision Entertainment brings it overseas. I am also overseeing the transfer, color correction, and providing some bonus features for the disc. One of those includes a 4k scan of the original 35mm trailer!

Thanks given by:
Monroville (06-12-2014), Mr. Thomsen (06-12-2014)
Old 06-12-2014, 03:50 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2009

LOL here they go again...

Read this thread -- don't give this kid any money.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread...ht=retrovision

Old 06-12-2014, 04:02 PM   #7

Jan 2011

It's only me bringing it to the states. I haven't forgotten about Shark Hunter either.

What is it with people like yourself? Trying to bring others down because you haven't put yourself to good use like I've done? Get a life and go find something better to do. I would never bring this to the internet, but honestly, do you think I honestly care what you think about my business and myself? I couldn't care less. Get over yourself. Just because I'm actually doing something productive unlike yourself (wasting time sitting on the internet looking for someone to target). I'm releasing films people want to see. What exactly are you doing?

Old 06-12-2014, 04:02 PM   #8
Power Member

Jan 2011
DC Metro

I'm in for one! Keep us posted!

Old 06-12-2014, 04:39 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawsTDS View Post
What is it with people like yourself? Trying to bring others down because you haven't put yourself to good use like I've done? Get a life and go find something better to do. I would never bring this to the internet, but honestly, do you think I honestly care what you think about my business and myself? I couldn't care less. Get over yourself. Just because I'm actually doing something productive unlike yourself (wasting time sitting on the internet looking for someone to target). I'm releasing films people want to see. What exactly are you doing?
I'll tell you what I'm not doing -- taking a PAL DVD, feeding it through DVD Shrink or some other software, and then claiming to people that I'm "color correcting it" from the original negatives and pawning it off like you actually have authorization to do so. Or starting a fundraising campaign for a release that's never going to happen and pocketing the funds (good to hear though you haven't "forgotten about it" lol). Or taking down all the "staff" bio pictures of your high school buddies from your website when you got called on it (and you did). As for me, I bought one of your prior LAST SHARK DVD releases and it was a total sham -- a rip of an overseas DVD you fiddled around with on your desktop despite claims of working from a 35mm print (lol). $25 down the toilet off Ebay. Did you offer a refund? Of course not. Guess we have different definitions of being "productive".

If you go ahead and actually work with the licensor of LAST SHARK and release a 100% legitimate Blu-Ray of it, hell might freeze over...and honestly, it'd be nice if it did because I'd love to see a real, legitimate Blu-Ray release of this title. Until then, though, I wouldn't give you a nickel and would advise anyone else not to support any of your efforts until you prove otherwise.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:46 PM   #10
Expert Member

Oct 2012

It would be easy enough for JawsTDS to disprove the allegations that it's an upscale of the PAL DVD, if he's telling the truth about "working with the digibeta that was from a 35mm transfer" -- he could just post a full-sized screenshot comparison between his version and the PAL DVD, so everyone could see with their own eyes whether it shows more fine detail.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:57 PM   #11

Nov 2010

@JawsTDS english audio track only ? no chance for the french audio on the last shark ? (France La mort au large)

Old 06-12-2014, 05:21 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnosifl View Post
It would be easy enough for JawsTDS to disprove the allegations that it's an upscale of the PAL DVD, if he's telling the truth about "working with the digibeta that was from a 35mm transfer" -- he could just post a full-sized screenshot comparison between his version and the PAL DVD, so everyone could see with their own eyes whether it shows more fine detail.
Yes, by all means, I'd love to see him put up some screen shots of his HD version.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:40 PM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2008
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Yeah this release is exciting, but they definitely seem like a bootleg operation.

- the fact that they are high school kids with a very unprofessional website
- their last DVD release was just a stolen PAL transfer with their own personal colour correction, not Director approved or anything
- extras are mostly trailers and still photos that can be found online
- their last fundraiser was done through indiegogo where they keeps the funds whether their goal was reached or not, it wasn't
- they are taking pre-orders (aka. your money) for this Blu-ray even though it isn't coming out for over a year
- I find it hard to believe this small company was able to get the rights to release The Last Shark legally, when so many other bigger companies were not able to in the past. They say the Japanese company okayed them to use their transfer for a price, but that doesn't mean they legally have the license to release the film here.
- they are again somehow getting ahold of many other rare Italian flicks when we know they are very expensive to sub license, again these are high school kids!

I hope I'm wrong, but something is definitely fishy here, no pun intended.

Don't get me wrong, this could be a great release if they are pretty much just releasing the Japanese disc here, but that doesn't mean it's legal. I guess it just comes down to how you feel about owning a bootleg or not.

Last edited by spawningblue; 06-12-2014 at 05:58 PM.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:42 PM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2012
SE MI.

Thanks given by:
k_huntington (08-02-2014)
Old 06-12-2014, 06:57 PM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2009

Quote:
- they are taking pre-orders (aka. your money) for this Blu-ray even though it isn't coming out for over a year
I'll go even further and ask the mods here to look into this. Frankly, this kid (and he is -- he's in high school) is playing with fire. Starting Indiegogo fundraisers, pocketing the funds for releases that haven't happened. His track record on ripping off PAL DVDs of The Last Shark despite claims they're authorized and remastered from a 35mm negative speaks for itself.

Now he's starting ANOTHER preorder asking people -- sight unseen -- to cough up $25 for a disc not coming out until MARCH of next year? His Facebook posts are a joke when they asked him why it was going to take so long for it to be released -- the same line about that "color correction" they employ (lol).

Folks, don't give him a cent. Make him post screenshots and clips. Prove he's actually working on it, and wait until it's actually released, before you give him your cash. I got scammed by him, I'd hate to see anyone else on here make the same mistake.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:23 PM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2008
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Not sure if this is a allowed, but this is the founder of the company. His company was originally called DVD Rulers where he pretty much stated these films are public domain, so he can release them. I respect his ambition for such a young age, but truthfully it's just too good to be true. How many other companies have tried to release this film over the years, yet this high school kid comes along and waives through all the red tape?

Last edited by spawningblue; 06-12-2014 at 07:41 PM.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:30 PM   #17
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Mar 2012
New York City

Smells fishy

Old 06-12-2014, 09:30 PM   #18
Banned

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRI2006 View Post
I'll go even further and ask the mods here to look into this. Frankly, this kid (and he is -- he's in high school) is playing with fire. Starting Indiegogo fundraisers, pocketing the funds for releases that haven't happened. His track record on ripping off PAL DVDs of The Last Shark despite claims they're authorized and remastered from a 35mm negative speaks for itself.

Folks, don't give him a cent. Make him post screenshots and clips. Prove he's actually working on it, and wait until it's actually released, before you give him your cash. I got scammed by him, I'd hate to see anyone else on here make the same mistake.
Not to mention, isn't "The Last Shark" better known as "Great White", the movie that was infamously pulled from North America after losing its plagiarism suit with Universal? (Or am I thinking of another one?)

If so, think that makes his legal grounds (and PAL sources) just that little bit more dubious....

(From the above-cited Shark Hunter thread:
Quote:
You can also look at our GREAT WHITE release, in which we worked (and are still working) with the director himself on the release as he owns the rights.
Ermmm, yeah. )

Last edited by EricJ; 06-12-2014 at 09:33 PM.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:40 PM   #19
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2011

I had been dying to see this movie for years, it was a bit of a holy grail of sorts. But when I finally did see it a few years back, it was a total dud. I was struggling to stay awake through it. With so much good stuff coming out, I'm relieved I can safely skip this, bootleg or otherwise.

It's funny that Universal claims it ripped off Jaws, when Universal went and ripped this off a few years later for Jaws 3-D (there's a scene involving a floating dock that is virtually identical).

Old 06-12-2014, 09:44 PM   #20
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2012

Maybe he's a rich kid from an affluent high school

Thanks given by:
k_huntington (08-02-2014)
Closed Thread
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America