Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Dragon Ball Super: Part 06 (Blu-ray)
$36.61
6 hrs ago
Hunter ◊ Hunter: Set 5 (Blu-ray)
$41.26

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Set 3 - Stardust Crusaders Battle in Egypt (Blu-ray)
$61.12

Black Clover: Season One, Part Three (Blu-ray)
$53.35
10 hrs ago
Overlord II: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$71.50
23 hrs ago
Twin Star Exorcists: Part Four (Blu-ray)
$41.36
14 hrs ago
Overlord II: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$50.65
21 hrs ago
Citrus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$50.65
17 hrs ago
The Ancient Magus' Bride: Part One (Blu-ray)
$71.50
23 hrs ago
Lust-Struck Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$25.70

Dragon Ball Super: Part 5 (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Black Clover: Season One, Part Three (Blu-ray)
$41.36
17 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 07-01-2014, 11:38 PM   #1

Jan 2014
California
Default Best version of Trigun to own ?

I posted this on the DVD section but I figure posting it here might get me more answers.

Trigun is one of my favorite anime series and I currently own the Pioneer collection
http://www.amazon.com/Trigun-The-Com...mplete+limited

But I'm wondering if there's newer releases of the series that have better picture and sound. Would I see and hear much difference if I upgrade to one of these sets ? Would it be worth it to double dip ?

http://www.amazon.com/Trigun-Complet...omplete+series

http://www.amazon.com/Trigun-Complet...omplete+series
Old 07-01-2014, 11:51 PM   #2
Power Member

Oct 2013
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jajuka89 View Post
Would I see and hear much difference if I upgrade to one of these sets ? Would it be worth it to double dip ?
No. Both those Funi releases have cruddy video. Our only hope is to wait for Japan to remaster and clean it up, which probably won't be for awhile since it's popularity is totally in the US.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:02 AM   #3

Jan 2014
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseY0ur1llusi0n View Post
No. Both those Funi releases have cruddy video. Our only hope is to wait for Japan to remaster and clean it up, which probably won't be for awhile since it's popularity is totally in the US.
Thanks for the response
Old 07-02-2014, 12:30 AM   #4

Oct 2012
-
-

I have the Madman AU set, and one of Funi's DVD sets. I haven't done a comparison as of yet but might do soon, just for the hell of it. If I can find the R2 version then I'll do all three.
They will all be based on the same masters, so the only difference should come down to encoding.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:54 AM   #5
Power Member

Oct 2013
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblegum2032 View Post
I have the Madman AU set, and one of Funi's DVD sets. I haven't done a comparison as of yet but might do soon, just for the hell of it. If I can find the R2 version then I'll do all three.
They will all be based on the same masters, so the only difference should come down to encoding.
Nice, I'd be interested to see a comparison of the Funi DVD set vs. the Victor Entertainment R2 DVD boxset that they released in 2010.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:18 AM   #6

Oct 2012
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseY0ur1llusi0n View Post
Nice, I'd be interested to see a comparison of the Funi DVD set vs. the Victor Entertainment R2 DVD boxset that they released in 2010.
I'll see what I can swing. If not, though not ideal, an mkv file may have to suffice.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:34 AM   #7

Oct 2012
-
-

Okay an mkv of the R2DVD definitely wonít do after inspecting its quality. Iíll have to wait and see if I can get my hands on the DVD or, ahemÖby some other means.
Anyway, hereís the comparison for the PAL and NTSC-U DVD sets:
(The discrepancy in size is due to PAL higher resolution)

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comp...1767/picture:0

Pretty evident Funiís DVD suffers from some pretty major artifacting, and of course has slightly less picture in frame. Madmanís release whilst much cleaner, suffers from haloing and composite dot-crawl.
I definitely prefer the madman release out of the two. Plus the Madman DVD set does have the correct Japanese broadcast openings, as opposed to the single one used throughout all 26 eps on the Funi DVDs.
Thanks given by:
UseY0ur1llusi0n (07-02-2014)
Old 07-02-2014, 03:07 AM   #8

Jan 2014
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblegum2032 View Post
Okay an mkv of the R2DVD definitely wonít do after inspecting its quality. Iíll have to wait and see if I can get my hands on the DVD or, ahemÖby some other means.
Anyway, hereís the comparison for the PAL and NTSC-U DVD sets:
(The discrepancy in size is due to PAL higher resolution)

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comp...1767/picture:0

Pretty evident Funiís DVD suffers from some pretty major artifacting, and of course has slightly less picture in frame. Madmanís release whilst much cleaner, suffers from haloing and composite dot-crawl.
I definitely prefer the madman release out of the two. Plus the Madman DVD set does have the correct Japanese broadcast openings, as opposed to the single one used throughout all 26 eps on the Funi DVDs.
Cool ! thanks for the post. I really hope some time in the future they release it on bluray
Old 07-02-2014, 03:43 AM   #9

Aug 2012

Don't hold your breath. Despite the popularity of Trigun in the states, a proper remaster is seemingly too expensive to make it economically worth it. Funi wanted the Japanese licensor to go halfsies (or something of the like) on an HD scan of the film and were basically told to pound sand because the Japanese thought it was a money losing proposition for them (Trigun is that unpopular over there).

Maybe that changes at some point in the future, but I'd be surprised.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:43 PM   #10

Oct 2012
-
-

Here's the comparison for the Japanese 2010 LE DVD Box against Funi's DVD set:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison.php?id=81889

It's identical to Madman's release, with the PAL DVD set having just a tad more halos visible. Considering Madman used only 4 discs for all 26 episodes whilst the Japanese set spread them over 7, that's pretty darn good.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:05 AM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011
East of Ale Asylum

I'd actually recommend the Geneon Tin-Case Editions....the Funi editions of the tv series are junk....
Old 07-29-2014, 10:51 PM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2011

I thought about picking up Trigun. I saw it a couple years ago and didn't really care for it but recently I thought about giving this another chance.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:14 AM   #13

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamelessFanGirl View Post
I thought about picking up Trigun. I saw it a couple years ago and didn't really care for it but recently I thought about giving this another chance.
please do. it's a great series.
Thanks given by:
DJ_dub_XL (07-30-2014), Tellymon (08-05-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 03:41 PM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugula View Post
please do. it's a great series.
Thank you, I probably will and buy the Complete Series Box Set that came out last year. And If I liked it, than I will pick up Trigun: Badlands Rumble movie that came out in 2011.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:41 AM   #15

Sep 2014

Well that's disappointing.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:48 PM   #16

Apr 2014

Just posted this in the DVD thread and noticed this one after. Just thought I'd sum up the current Trigun situation (especially because Amazon lumped the reviews from every release together, making it hard to figure out which review pertains to which release).

The definitive releases right now are the 6 individual "remix" DVDs and the Collector's Edition tins (2 vols. including 3 "remix" DVDs a piece, comprising the entire series). The main upgrades here include the original openings for every episode (not available on any other release to date) and an audio upgrade to Dolby 5.1 for both English and Japanese language tracks. These releases also include noticeably better picture quality than the (as of this writing) 2 more recent releases -

- both of which pack the entire series into 4 discs instead of 6.

As for a Blu-Ray release, it still looks unlikely. So far getting a good remaster on any anime title requires the Japanese studio to undertake the process themselves and license it to a US distributor. Trigun was never all that popular in Japan, predicting low sales of a new release there and leaving little hope of a costly remastering. As with some other anime titles, such as Evangelion, the studio has seemingly opted to go the route of newly produced animation (Trigun: Badlands Rumble) to satiate the high-def crowd as opposed to a complete remaster.

Funimation started releasing their own inferior quality Blu-Ray remasters of other shows but there were a lot of complaints and they seem to have abandoned that route before Trigun received a Blu-Ray release in the same fashion.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime