Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Khrustalyov, My Car! (Blu-ray)
$33.03
3 hrs ago
Noir Archive - Volume 1: 1944-1954 (Blu-ray)
$36.68
 
Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$69.99
 
Charles Bronson: 4 Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$4.99
 
Ralph Breaks the Internet (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Halloween III: Season of the Witch (Blu-ray)
$20.99
4 hrs ago
Bumblebee 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
The Predator 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
The Predator (Blu-ray)
$9.99
 
Smallfoot (Blu-ray)
$9.99
 
Crazy Rich Asians (Blu-ray)
$9.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2014, 09:15 PM   #341
phelings phelings is offline
Banned
 
Mar 2013
Default

New info on this Bluray.
Apparently Return of the Cybernauts is missing 4 seconds around the 8 minute mark that is included on the A&E dvd's.

It's assumed that the poor condition of the missing seconds lead to them being deliberately edited out on all UK dvd versions and on the SC HD masters as the US A&E dvd's are the only release that includes this 4 seconds of footage
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:56 PM   #342
MacSteed MacSteed is offline
Member
 
Nov 2009
Detroit
22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireduck1 View Post
Did anyone else notice that the plastic they've used on the packaging is a little too opaque? But only on the reverse side and towards the bottom of the case. Difficult to spot at first, but definitely there if you look really carefully.


Also, if it helps, a solution for a muddy pitch is to wear wet weather boots.
It's right next to the fine print that reads :"Wireduck1, if you're reading this, for best results cram this Blu Ray case sideways-we're sure it'll fit."

We understand your humor and point, however some of us are serious about the problems with this set and legitimately concerned about the future releases being something we consider an enjoyable experience with true audio. If you're satisfied with your Lionsgate set, please enjoy. You clearly have nothing positive to contribute, so please go away.
Cheers.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Wireduck1 (11-22-2014)
Old 11-22-2014, 10:14 PM   #343
iank iank is offline
Banned
 
Feb 2014
QLD, Australia
699
323
4
Default

Stop spoiling our fun moaning!
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
MacSteed (11-22-2014), Wireduck1 (11-22-2014)
Old 11-22-2014, 10:36 PM   #344
MacSteed MacSteed is offline
Member
 
Nov 2009
Detroit
22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Stop spoiling our fun moaning!
I'm Sorry, I'm probably just on my manrag.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
iank (11-22-2014)
Old 11-22-2014, 11:19 PM   #345
Wireduck1 Wireduck1 is offline
Power Member
 
Wireduck1's Avatar
 
Jul 2012
In the darkest depths of Mordor
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacSteed View Post
It's right next to the fine print that reads :"Wireduck1, if you're reading this, for best results cram this Blu Ray case sideways-we're sure it'll fit."

We understand your humor and point, however some of us are serious about the problems with this set and legitimately concerned about the future releases being something we consider an enjoyable experience with true audio. If you're satisfied with your Lionsgate set, please enjoy. You clearly have nothing positive to contribute, so please go away.
Cheers.
I tried, but it's too compressed.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
MacSteed (11-23-2014)
Old 11-23-2014, 04:21 AM   #346
DVDave DVDave is offline
Senior Member
 
Oct 2008
3
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelings View Post
New info on this Bluray.
Apparently Return of the Cybernauts is missing 4 seconds around the 8 minute mark that is included on the A&E dvd's.

It's assumed that the poor condition of the missing seconds lead to them being deliberately edited out on all UK dvd versions and on the SC HD masters as the US A&E dvd's are the only release that includes this 4 seconds of footage
What is the source of this info? Do you have a side-by-side video you'd like to contribute or is this just more hyperbole?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacSteed View Post
It's right next to the fine print that reads :"Wireduck1, if you're reading this, for best results cram this Blu Ray case sideways-we're sure it'll fit."

We understand your humor and point, however some of us are serious about the problems with this set and legitimately concerned about the future releases being something we consider an enjoyable experience with true audio. If you're satisfied with your Lionsgate set, please enjoy. You clearly have nothing positive to contribute, so please go away.
Cheers.
Sheesh, some people here just can't be pleased no matter what. I swear some of you sound like you are members of...



Meanwhile, we now return to our regularly scheduled episode of The Avengers already in progress.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:44 PM   #347
phelings phelings is offline
Banned
 
Mar 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDave View Post
What is the source of this info? Do you have a side-by-side video you'd like to contribute or is this just more hyperbole?

.
I don't have the relevant A&E dvd but Alan Hayes who has all the Avengers discs and runs the Avengers website confirms the missing seconds on the UK Roobarb site.

If I had video I wouldn't be bothered to upload even if I knew how.
If you don't believe the news that's up to you.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:12 PM   #348
Wireduck1 Wireduck1 is offline
Power Member
 
Wireduck1's Avatar
 
Jul 2012
In the darkest depths of Mordor
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelings View Post
I don't have the relevant A&E dvd but Alan Hayes who has all the Avengers discs and runs the Avengers website confirms the missing seconds on the UK Roobarb site.

If I had video I wouldn't be bothered to upload even if I knew how.
If you don't believe the news that's up to you.
This is probably the same Alan who says of the Lionsgate Blu Ray: "It sounds fine to me. Checked a few episodes tonight. No significant issues. Have to be honest and say that, even though I was prepared to damn the Lionsgate discs based on the first impressions of others, it's a decent Blu-ray. Not perfect, but certainly nothing disastrously wrong to speak of."

Nice one Alan. Source is:


http://www.zetaminor.com/roobarb/sho...Blu-ray/page26
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 02:55 PM   #349
Dene Dene is offline
Member
 
Dec 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDave View Post
What is the source of this info? Do you have a side-by-side video you'd like to contribute or is this just more hyperbole?
No, it's not more hyperbole - it was I who flagged this up and I can assure you it is 100% the case. Around the 8m mark into "Return of the Cybernauts" the Blu-ray - and all European DVD releases of the series I believe - is missing around 4 seconds of footage at the start of a scene.

It's a panning shot of a building. You can easily identify it on the Blu-ray by the music jump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDave View Post
These are definitely not the Optimum source masters that were used on the UK PAL DVDs that had the known problems with pitch correction.
I believe they are the same source masters, yes. I stripped the audio from one of the Blu-ray episodes and speeded it up 4% a la PAL. It sounded identical to the helium voices which led to a recall of the UK's Optimum S5 DVD.

Last edited by Dene; 11-24-2014 at 03:05 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:35 PM   #350
phelings phelings is offline
Banned
 
Mar 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireduck1 View Post
This is probably the same Alan who says of the Lionsgate Blu Ray: "It sounds fine to me. Checked a few episodes tonight. No significant issues. Have to be honest and say that, even though I was prepared to damn the Lionsgate discs based on the first impressions of others, it's a decent Blu-ray. Not perfect, but certainly nothing disastrously wrong to speak of."

Nice one Alan. Source is:


http://www.zetaminor.com/roobarb/sho...Blu-ray/page26
Yes and Alan is spot on .
Being in the UK the pitch for the Lionsgate Bluray is exactly the same as we've heard the show for 50 years which is why for UK viewers the pitch change is a non issue.

As Dene says - it seems obvious that the Lionsgate Blu is taken from the same masters as were used for the Optimum dvd's .
This adds credibility to the theory that Studio Canal created HD masters in 50i which would result in the 25p pitch . That's why a pitch change was needed for 24p pitch when SC decided initially to do that for the UK sets and why you've ended up with 25p pitch on the Blurays.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:37 PM   #351
phelings phelings is offline
Banned
 
Mar 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dene View Post


I believe they are the same source masters, yes. I stripped the audio from one of the Blu-ray episodes and speeded it up 4% a la PAL. It sounded identical to the helium voices which led to a recall of the UK's Optimum S5 DVD.
And which are still present on the menus of the UK dvd's.
Presumably if you strip the audio from the Bluray and from the dvd they should be identical . They sound that way to me but I'm wondering if you have some program that measures this . I am just going by ear.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:40 AM   #352
Dene Dene is offline
Member
 
Dec 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelings View Post
Presumably if you strip the audio from the Bluray and from the dvd they should be identical . They sound that way to me but I'm wondering if you have some program that measures this . I am just going by ear.
Not quite identical - the pitch may be the same but the Blu-ray is 24fps and the Optimum DVD is 25fps, so with one running 4% faster they'll sound a bit different.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:22 AM   #353
iank iank is offline
Banned
 
Feb 2014
QLD, Australia
699
323
4
Default

Mine came today. Perfect picture, good sound. Not sure about the 5.1 business as it sounds a little odd but this pitch business flew right over my head. Their voices sound the same as they always have. An excellent package for the most part, especially for the price (which was 50% cheaper than the current DVD sets are going for on eBay).
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
AKORIS (12-04-2014)
Old 11-26-2014, 06:40 PM   #354
bashfulstool bashfulstool is offline
Active Member
 
bashfulstool's Avatar
 
Nov 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
...Not sure about the 5.1 business as it sounds a little odd...
man, what a nitpicker!
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
iank (11-26-2014)
Old 11-26-2014, 07:03 PM   #355
jayembee jayembee is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Jul 2010
A Drug-Infested Den
2625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank
...Not sure about the 5.1 business as it sounds a little odd...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashfulstool View Post
man, what a nitpicker!
OK, I assume from the smiley that you're just having fun, but on the serious side, creating a 5.1 track for a program that was originally mono is the audio equivalent of colorizing a black-&-white program. I can deal with it if the unadulterated version is there as well, but not including the original version is just plain bad form.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:45 PM   #356
phelings phelings is offline
Banned
 
Mar 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayembee View Post
OK, I assume from the smiley that you're just having fun, but on the serious side, creating a 5.1 track for a program that was originally mono is the audio equivalent of colorizing a black-&-white program. I can deal with it if the unadulterated version is there as well, but not including the original version is just plain bad form.
Not quite as bad as colouring.
It wouldn't be too much of a problem if they'd either included the mono too or if the 5.1 was any good .
There's plenty of 5.1 remixes out there that are great but this one is awful
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 11:53 PM   #357
bashfulstool bashfulstool is offline
Active Member
 
bashfulstool's Avatar
 
Nov 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayembee View Post
OK, I assume from the smiley that you're just having fun, but on the serious side, creating a 5.1 track for a program that was originally mono....
if you follow the posts, you'll see it was a role-reversal. I was on the critical side, and iank was chiding us for being too picky. When iank found one of the criticisms valid, I had to make that joke.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 04:13 AM   #358
DVDave DVDave is offline
Senior Member
 
Oct 2008
3
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelings View Post
Not quite as bad as colouring.
It wouldn't be too much of a problem if they'd either included the mono too or if the 5.1 was any good .
There's plenty of 5.1 remixes out there that are great but this one is awful
Well technically The Avengers was never broadcast in HD originally so if you want to be a purist for mono audio better stick to the DVDs in standard def.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 08:28 AM   #359
McCrutchy McCrutchy is online now
Contributor
 
McCrutchy's Avatar
 
Dec 2008
East Coast, USA
2
3128
137
5
13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDave View Post
Well technically The Avengers was never broadcast in HD originally so if you want to be a purist for mono audio better stick to the DVDs in standard def.
Not to single out DVDave, but comments like this are grating. I wish people would stop equating "DVD" and/or "low-resolution" with "old". Just because a series is old, that doesn't mean that SD video is a proper way to experience it. Indeed, if the show was shot on film, it is not proper at all.

To be fair, since this series of The Avengers was shot on film, the "purist" way to see it is in a movie theater--with the original mono sound.

However, since that isn't feasible, we have Blu-ray, which tries to bring us as close as possible to the theater experience on home video. On the other hand, DVD (both NTSC and PAL format) are essentially the worst ways to experience this series of the show.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 02:38 PM   #360
phelings phelings is offline
Banned
 
Mar 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDave View Post
Well technically The Avengers was never broadcast in HD originally so if you want to be a purist for mono audio better stick to the DVDs in standard def.
I'm not a purist for mono - far from it.
The problem with the 5.1 mix on this disc is that its crap.
The 5.1 remixes on the Bond discs for example are superb ( bar the few with added new effects).

Taking your comment at face value then it would be like assuming we should always watch 60's shows in B&W because that's how we first saw them.

Most Brits would not have seen this season in colour until 1982 as colour didn't come to the UK until 1969 and then it took some years before colour was nationwide and even longer for people to buy colour sets.

How you first saw the show is irrelevant . Its how the show was made and the clarity and detail that are in evidence on the Bluray were also there in 1967 - we just couldn't see them as clearly.

I'm all for improvements . The prints we see today are spotless which is not how they would have been seen up to the 90's .

But improvements can go too far as they have done with Disney Blurays of their old classics which bear little resemblance to films and instead look like pages from a book
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:39 AM.