Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Rampage (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Paul, Apostle of Christ (Blu-ray)
$15.50

The Invisible Man: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Chappaquiddick (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The House of the Devil (Blu-ray)
$8.99
22 hrs ago
Halloween 4K (Blu-ray)
$13.00

Venom 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Oculus (Blu-ray)
$6.99

A Quiet Place (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The Martian (Blu-ray)
$9.99
22 hrs ago
Alpha (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Mission: Impossible - Fallout (Blu-ray)
$19.99
46 min ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists

Old 11-15-2014, 02:24 PM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014
Default Paul Schrader films: Light Sleeper, The Comfort of Strangers, Patty Hearst, etc.

Hey everyone. I didn't want to create a lot of individual threads, so thought I'd just put all of this into one thread:

It's great that Paul Schrader's iconic American Gigolo will be on Blu next year - however, there are a lot of well-done, underrated films directed by Schrader that are either only available on sub-par DVD's, or not available on home video at all. These all need to be put on Blu:

Light Sleeper: Willem Dafoe plays a high-end d. dealer & S. Sarandon is his boss; excellent drama.

The Comfort of Strangers: Extremely creepy film - N. Richardson & R. Everett play a couple from the UK on vacation in Italy. They meet a guy & his wife (C. Walken & H. Mirren) who seem nice at first, but appearances can be deceiving...

As far as I know, the above two '90's films are only available on sub-par pan & scan DVD's.
__________________________________________________ _____________________

Blue Collar (1978): Good film that could definitely use a remastering; the PQ on the DVD isn't that great.

Forever Mine (1999): Great period drama set in the 1970's; extremely underrated these days, and could use an upgrade. This is probably my second favorite Ray Liotta role (behind Goodfellas)...
__________________________________________________ ____________________

Light of Day (1987): Drama starring Michael J. Fox & Joan Jett; rock music plays a big part of this film.

Patty Hearst (1988): Excellent drama based on the actual incident from the early 1970's.

Witch Hunt (199?): 1940's drama/horror movie?! starring Dennis Hopper as a P.I.

The above three films are not available on DVD, let alone Blu. I've only seen PH in it's entirety, but do want to see all three films in a decent format.

Last edited by AnamorphicWidescreen; 02-09-2018 at 03:05 AM.
Thanks given by:
Cremildo (03-30-2018)
Old 12-02-2014, 01:53 AM   #2

Dec 2011

"Comfort" is quite underrated and as usual Walken steals the show......still I enjoyed the supporting cast , RIP Natasha R
Old 12-02-2014, 06:28 PM   #3
Power Member

Jun 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnamorphicWidescreen View Post

Blue Collar (1978): Good film that could definitely use a remastering; the PQ on the DVD isn't that great.
Good movie and hope they put this in Criterion.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:59 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

Glad to hear there are other fans of these obscure Schrader films.

In a perfect world, a company would get ahold of all of these films, clean them up, & release them on a Schrader Blu boxed set - all in the correct Anamorphic Widescreen format.

Comfort of Strangers would especially look great in widescreen, since it was filmed on location in Italy - nice scenery.

Also really liked Light Sleeper - depressing & dark film, with some great performances by Dafoe & Sarandon. IMHO, it's got some elements of Taxi Driver, American G., and The Walker.

Forever Mine is possibly the most underrated & forgotten drama of the '90's - I don't think it was released to theaters until 2002....
Thanks given by:
BrianJoynt (04-04-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 03:06 AM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

Still waiting for all of these films to hit Blu - or at least DVD's with the correct aspect ratio.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:11 AM   #6

Nov 2013
Baton Rouge, LA

Most of those mentioned here still MIA, though progress continues on his filmography. Blue Collar, The Comfort of Strangers, The Walker and Mishima are or have been out in other regions but still missing:

Light of Day (DVD out of print)
Patty Hearst (DVD out of print)
Light Sleeper (Awful P&S DVD)
Touch (DVD out of print)
Affliction (Nolte should have gone home with Oscar along with Coburn)
Forever Mine (DVD out of print)

I’m region free and these don’t seem to be available anywhere that I have found. Despite relatively recent release, Adam Resurrected blu-Ray is out of print and hard to find now. Auto Focus coming soon from Twilight Time.

Would like to complete the collection one of these days; a couple of these missing are among his better efforts and all hold interest.

Last edited by Fred Sliman; 02-11-2018 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Addition and Correction
Old 02-11-2018, 11:16 AM   #7
Special Member

May 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Sliman View Post
Most of those mentioned here still MIA, though progress continues on his filmography. Blue Collar, The Company of Strangers and Mishima are or have been out in other regions but still missing:

Light of Day
Patty Hearst
Light Sleeper
Touch
Affliction
Forever Mine
The Walker

Iím region free and these donít seem to be available anywhere that I have found. Despite relatively recent release, Adam Resurrected is out of print and hard to find now. Auto Focus coming soon from Twilight Time.

Would like to complete the collection one of these days; a couple of these missing are among his better efforts and all hold interest.
The Walker is out in Germany.
Thanks given by:
Fred Sliman (02-11-2018)
Old 03-30-2018, 03:47 AM   #8

Sep 2014

Hopefully a good company like Criterion, Eureka, ARROW or Indicator will release "Light Sleeper" soon!
Thanks given by:
Fred Sliman (04-01-2018)
Old 03-30-2018, 03:44 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamotta View Post
Hopefully a good company like Criterion, Eureka, ARROW or Indicator will release "Light Sleeper" soon!
Getting a decent, Anamorphic Widescreen release of Light Sleeper is long overdue. It's such a great film, so it's painful to have to watch it on a sub-par pan & scan print with crummy PQ.

Last edited by AnamorphicWidescreen; 04-04-2018 at 03:18 PM.
Thanks given by:
Fred Sliman (04-01-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 03:13 PM   #10
Special Member

Feb 2017
Nashville

Auto Focus goes up for pre-order on Twilight Time day. Hoping Affliction isn't far behind.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists