Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Green Planet 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96
7 hrs ago
Dog Soldiers 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.89
10 hrs ago
The Halloween 4K Collection (Blu-ray)
$104.99

Red Dawn 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.99
10 hrs ago
The Last Detail 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.35
10 hrs ago
The Lost Boys 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.99

Watcher (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Edge of Tomorrow 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.79
12 hrs ago
Green Lantern: Beware My Power 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 day ago
Lost Highway 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99

DC League of Super-Pets (Blu-ray)
$26.99
18 hrs ago
The Hunger Games: Complete 4-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$64.78

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 09-14-2015, 06:07 PM   #1
Banned

Apr 2012
Hawaii
Default The Brain That Wouldn't Die - 12/22

https://www.shoutfactory.com/film/fi...t-wouldn-t-die

Last edited by Oscar Rothman; 09-14-2015 at 06:14 PM.
Thanks given by:
Al_The_Strange (09-17-2015), Undeadcow (09-14-2015)
Old 09-14-2015, 06:09 PM   #2
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007

Quote:
A macabe, madcap whirlwind of horror." Cult Movies Magazine

Medical science leaps light years into the future in this "great, absurd movie" (The Psychotronic Encyclopedia of Film) that explores the strange world of transplants, cloning and mutant regeneration. Strangely relevant in today's ethically challenged world, this presents a truly psycho-surgery case and is "one of the great sci-fi sleaze classics" (Starlog).

When Dr. Bill Cortner loses his sweetheart, Jan, in a car accident, he refuses to give up hope for her life. Scooping up her decapitated head, he brings it back to the lab for resuscitation. But keeping her head alive is one thing finding her a new body is quite another. So while the mad doctor is out looking for spare parts, she's stuck at home going out of her mind literally! And nothing will stop her from getting revenge on the man who is keeping her as a trophy girlfriend!
Old 09-14-2015, 06:36 PM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2012
US

Already one of my most anticipated Scream Factory releases!!!

Can't wait to own it in HD! Any word on if it's the longer cut?
Old 09-14-2015, 06:38 PM   #4

Jul 2014

Neat. Manos will have company soon. Seriously though, I love this silly movie. No doubt, it will be an improvement over the cruddy public domain copy I watched on one of Mill Creek's 50 movie DVD packs. And that cover art is superb.

I wonder if Shout! Factory will include the Mystery Science Theater 3000 commentary? I guess it's possible - they're the go-to company for releasing the show on physical media. At any rate, the movie is already goofy enough as is. For someone who didn't have a pair of lungs, that bodyless lady could sure talk a lot.

Last edited by ParkerAL; 09-14-2015 at 06:43 PM.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:40 PM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2012
US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scream Factory FB
The version we have will be the one that was previously on the 4-film Timeless release on DVD--which according to MGM (where we licensed it from) is the longest version of the film.
Sounds like it's the longer cut!
Old 09-14-2015, 06:55 PM   #6

Mar 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdodolak View Post

A macabe, madcap whirlwind of horror." Cult Movies Magazine

Medical science leaps light years into the future in this "great, absurd movie" (The Psychotronic Encyclopedia of Film) that explores the strange world of transplants, cloning and mutant regeneration. Strangely relevant in today's ethically challenged world, this presents a truly psycho-surgery case and is "one of the great sci-fi sleaze classics" (Starlog).

When Dr. Bill Cortner loses his sweetheart, Jan, in a car accident, he refuses to give up hope for her life. Scooping up her decapitated head, he brings it back to the lab for resuscitation. But keeping her head alive is one thing finding her a new body is quite another. So while the mad doctor is out looking for spare parts, she's stuck at home going out of her mind literally! And nothing will stop her from getting revenge on the man who is keeping her as a trophy girlfriend!
Love the cover and the synopsis!
That said, this movie makes me think of the saying that sometimes the truth is stranger than fiction. I read in the news last week that the first human head transplant has been scheduled for 2017...
http://www.alphr.com/science/1001145...7-will-it-work
I'd actually read about this a few years ago, both the question of whether it would actually work, and also the ethics behind it. Well, it looks like they are going to try.
I also wonder how long it will be until they start transplanting computers into our brains / head. With today's love affair / addiction to the smart phone (many of my friends sleep with their smart phones), it doesn't seem that far fetched to have them implanted. <warning.. begin rant> It seems like almost every teenager I see is always staring at their smart phone like a zombie. That's why I got my daughter a Republic Wireless wifi-data only smart phone, so she doesn't always have constant access to the internet (just on wifi). Plus it's cheap (which is probably why my daughter calls me a Republic Wireless fanatic, but hey... she's still happy with her smart phone and it hasn't turned her into a zombie like many of her friends). <end rant>
I think a lot of these "crazy" sci-fi movies may end up being more real (and scary) than we ever imaged. The guy who recently warned us about artificial intelligence being the greatest threat to mankind might just be right... or at least it would make a cool movie!
In the meantime, this looks like a classic I could thoroughly enjoy with some hot buttered popcorn!

Last edited by HowieM; 09-29-2015 at 05:30 PM.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:41 PM   #7
Blu-ray Count

Aug 2009

Well, that was unexpected! I wonder if we can expect further Timeless Media upgrades? There are about a half-dozen of those that I'd buy on BD.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:47 PM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2012
US

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoirFan View Post
Well, that was unexpected! I wonder if we can expect further Timeless Media upgrades? There are about a half-dozen of those that I'd buy on BD.
I hope they do decide to upgrade some more of them.

The Screaming Skull and The Man from Planet X in particular.
Thanks given by:
RCO (06-04-2016), spawningblue (09-14-2015)
Old 09-14-2015, 07:49 PM   #9
Blu-ray Count

Aug 2009

At last my pillow has some company!

Thanks given by:
montyb (12-20-2015)
Old 09-14-2015, 07:56 PM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2012

Quote:
At last my pillow has some company!

[Show spoiler]

That's great! Where did you get it?
Old 09-14-2015, 08:12 PM   #11
Blu-ray Count

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by noirjunkie View Post
[/SPOILER]

That's great! Where did you get it?
Horror Decor. I also have their Poltergeist and Creepshow 2 pillows. They have excellent customer service - my original Brain pillow started to fall apart somewhat after a month, and they sent me a replacement as well as a free pillow-case. Of course, the pillow case is covered in (fake?) blood splatters, so I keep it hidden away in the closet, which would likely look even worse if discovered by a rummaging guest! For the record, the replacement has been holding up just fine for two years, as have the other 2.

Edit: They've got all kinds of other cool stuff - what home would be complete without a Critters potholder?
Thanks given by:
Terrorfirmer (09-15-2015)
Old 09-14-2015, 08:23 PM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2011

I love the film, but not enough to pay nearly $20 for it. I sure wish they would take some of these vintage guilty pleasures and pair them off with another one in the same package. But as physical media begins to fade from the mainstream, we will be seeing pricing get higher and higher due to the niche marketplace.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:29 PM   #13
Blu-ray Count

Aug 2009

Family Video usually sells Scream/Shout discs for 40% off, this will likely be $16 or less from them with a free shipping/$5 off of $50 code.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:35 PM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2011

Quote:
Family Video usually sells Scream/Shout discs for 40% off, this will likely be $16 or less from them with a free shipping/$5 off of $50 code.
But with a movie like this, I find it hard to pay over ten bucks for it unless it was a double feature or had some really attractive extras. I'll check out reviews and see what's up and then make my decision. The film is a lot of fun and Virginia Leith is plenty hot, if you'll pardon my bodyless objectification.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:38 PM   #15
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
Victorville, CA

Quote:
The version we have will be the one that was previously on the 4-film Timeless release on DVD--which according to MGM (where we licensed it from) is the longest version of the film.
I have that release and it's a beautiful print, Totally uncut, wide screen. Easily the best the movie has ever looked, EXCEPT that it's crammed onto one DVD with THREE OTHER movies, so there are jaggies and compression artifacts everywhere.

On it's own on a BD it should be gorgeous!
Old 09-14-2015, 08:42 PM   #16
Blu-ray Count

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Echo View Post
had some really attractive extras.
Shout's listing does say:

Quote:
Extras in progress and will be announced at a later date.
Personally, I'd love a Tom Weaver commentary, but I'm guessing some sort of RiffTrax thing is more likely.
Thanks given by:
Undeadcow (09-14-2015)
Old 09-14-2015, 09:36 PM   #17
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2011
Houston, TX

The Brain that Wouldn't Die is a personal favorite of mine; I have the great Synapse Films DVD... really excited to see this come to high definition.

For some reason I thought BtWD was 'public domain.'
Old 09-14-2015, 09:42 PM   #18
Blu-ray Duke

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undeadcow View Post
The Brain that Wouldn't Die is a personal favorite of mine; I have the great Synapse Films DVD... really excited to see this come to high definition.

For some reason I thought BtWD was 'public domain.'
I believe it is PD
Old 09-14-2015, 09:46 PM   #19
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2012
US

The shorter cut is public domain, but the uncut elements that MGM owns are entirely their property. That being said, I don't think the uncut version itself is actually outright owned by MGM.

The Brain That Wouldn't Die also a favorite of mine. I have a huge soft spot for public domain horror movies, since they're so easy to come by, in many cases, they got a lot of playtime from me.
Old 09-14-2015, 10:17 PM   #20
Special Member

Jan 2008

I'll definitely be picking this up. It's the movie that freaked me out the most when I was a kid, so of course I watched it whenever it was on.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America