Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

12 Days of Deals, Day 9 is Live »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$79.99
7 hrs ago
Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.96

Star Trek: The Original Motion Picture Collection (Blu-ray)
$16.96

Westworld: Season One (Blu-ray)
$16.99
7 hrs ago
Mission: Impossible - Fallout 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
16 hrs ago
Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Audition (Blu-ray)
$29.33
6 hrs ago
Supergirl: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Mummy: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Universal Classic Monsters: Complete 30-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99

Crazy Rich Asians 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Jurassic World: 5-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$27.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 03-03-2016, 06:27 AM   #1
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-
Default Iphigenia

Iphigenia Blu-ray PRE-ORDER

Fantastic film

Coming from Olive Films. STREET DATE: MAY 24.

Nominated for the prestigious Palme d'Or Award at the Cannes Film Festival (1977).
Selected to represent Greece in the Best Foreign Language Category of the Academy Awards (1978).

Quote:
Michael Cacoyannis, Academy Award nominee for Best Director and Best Screenplay (Zorba the Greek), wrote and directed Iphigenia, which is based on the classic Greek tragedy by Euripides.

Iphigenia, the film adaptation of the Euripides tale, tells the story of a father torn between duty to his country and duty to his family. Believed to be cursed by a powerful and angry goddess for his slaying of a deer, Agamemnon (Costa Kazakos, Electra) must sacrifice his daughter Iphigenia (Tatiana Papamoskou, Sweet Country) to remove the curse which has prevented the winds from blowing and his ships from moving forward on their mission to Troy. This 1978 Academy Award nominee for Best Foreign Language Film features fine performances from a stellar cast including Irene Pappas (Zorba the Greek) as Clytemnestra under the direction of Academy Award nominee Michael Cacoyannis (Zorba the Greek, The Trojan Women).

In Greek, with optional English subtitles.
Pro-B
Thanks given by:
schlock (03-03-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 11:09 AM   #2
Banned

Sep 2010

As I've said in another thread, this is a really important release since *from what I know* it marks the first release ever of a pre-1980 Greek film on Bluray!
I hope others will follow. There are many great and highly acclaimed worldwide old Greek films and it's a real pity there is no interest to release them.
Congratulations to Olive's dare!

The story itself can be seen as a kind of "prequel" to the Trojan War (Homer's Iliad).

Some images:
[Show spoiler]

And here's a film poster I realy love (I wish they had used it):
[Show spoiler]

The music score is by Mikis Theodorakis (Zorba the Greek, Serpico, The Trojan Women, Z)

Last edited by filmmusic; 03-03-2016 at 11:37 AM.
Thanks given by:
schlock (03-03-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 11:39 AM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2011
Los Angeles

Hoping this means ELECTRA (1962) stands a chance of coming to Blu. Being a UA title, a KINO or Olive release would be welcome (but not overpriced TT, thank you). It's an exceptional picture on every level and Irene Pappas is stunning in it.
Thanks given by:
filmmusic (03-03-2016), schlock (03-03-2016)
Old 03-05-2016, 11:45 AM   #4

Apr 2010
Port Elizabeth, South Africa

Saw this on a school outing in 1978 and I have always wanted it, but the DVD was way too expensive. I hope that there will be a region B release some time soon.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:14 PM   #5

Jul 2011
Southern California

Be warned of graphic animal slaughter scenes in the opening of the film.
Thanks given by:
Jobla (05-07-2016)
Old 05-07-2016, 11:09 PM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2013
Boulevard of Broken Dreams

Thanks for the warning. I vaguely recall that from the old VHS tape that I once had.
Old 05-08-2016, 03:47 AM   #7
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2011

Long, and tall, and tan and lovely...the girl from Iphigenia goes walking...
Thanks given by:
Jobla (05-08-2016)
Old 05-08-2016, 04:34 AM   #8
Power Member

May 2014
Antarctica

I consider this film a masterpiece of its kind, and it is unfortunate that there is some animal slaughter in the early moments. Those moments are all edited very quickly, though, so some of the slaughter appears to be faked, but there is still sufficient footage that can't be denied - some of the goats, sheep, deer, etc. were definitely killed.

I don't know if animal killing can ever be justified for any film, including Apocalypse Now, and I sure don't like watching it. The killing of the deer is an important plot point in Iphegenia, though, so it's not just for exploitation, regardless if that makes any of it easier to watch. It's up to the individual viewer if they want to watch such scenes. But this is definitely nowhere near the extreme graphic nature of Cannibal Holocaust or other Italian cannibal films that butchered animals just for shock value. And the footage in Apocalypse Now is definitely more brutal than anything here.

I would not pass up this excellent film solely based on the brief "animal cruelty" issue. Yes, animal cruelty and killing sucks, especially just for a film, but this is an older film where such rules weren't yet applied. Coppola chopped up a buffalo-cow two years later and the excuse was the indigenous tribes were going to kill it and eat it anyway. Deodato and Lenzi and others have used the same excuses. Where do you draw the line? I'd rather draw the line at NO animal killings, ever, but I can accept Iphigenia. Based on the time it was made, the non-exploitative nature of the footage, and so forth. Wish it hadn't happened at all, but it did, and I don't think the Iphigenia filmmakers were on any sort of bloodthirsty/exploitative mission to shock viewers by animal cruelty at the time.

See the film and judge for yourself. The animal sequence is quite brief as it is, so just ffwd if need be.
Thanks given by:
Jobla (05-08-2016)
Old 05-08-2016, 06:27 AM   #9

Jul 2011
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlock View Post
I consider this film a masterpiece of its kind, and it is unfortunate that there is some animal slaughter in the early moments. Those moments are all edited very quickly, though, so some of the slaughter appears to be faked, but there is still sufficient footage that can't be denied - some of the goats, sheep, deer, etc. were definitely killed.

I don't know if animal killing can ever be justified for any film, including Apocalypse Now, and I sure don't like watching it. The killing of the deer is an important plot point in Iphegenia, though, so it's not just for exploitation, regardless if that makes any of it easier to watch. It's up to the individual viewer if they want to watch such scenes. But this is definitely nowhere near the extreme graphic nature of Cannibal Holocaust or other Italian cannibal films that butchered animals just for shock value. And the footage in Apocalypse Now is definitely more brutal than anything here.

I would not pass up this excellent film solely based on the brief "animal cruelty" issue. Yes, animal cruelty and killing sucks, especially just for a film, but this is an older film where such rules weren't yet applied. Coppola chopped up a buffalo-cow two years later and the excuse was the indigenous tribes were going to kill it and eat it anyway. Deodato and Lenzi and others have used the same excuses. Where do you draw the line? I'd rather draw the line at NO animal killings, ever, but I can accept Iphigenia. Based on the time it was made, the non-exploitative nature of the footage, and so forth. Wish it hadn't happened at all, but it did, and I don't think the Iphigenia filmmakers were on any sort of bloodthirsty/exploitative mission to shock viewers by animal cruelty at the time.

See the film and judge for yourself. The animal sequence is quite brief as it is, so just ffwd if need be.
Thank you, schlock. For me, its purely based on principle - a minute, a second, a quick edit...none of those matter. If its there on film or was done for the film, it will not be in my collection, plain and simple. I did read everywhere that this was a great film until some reviewers after my own heart pointed this bit out. Promptly canceled the pre-order. I literally puked my guts out when I watched that ritualistic slaughter in Apolcalypse Now. Same thing happened after I learned of what happened during the shoot of 'Heaven's Gate' - threw the disc into the trash as I had not opened it yet. So I keep myself fully informed before I go into any film now for content of that deplorable nature.

Thanks again for clarifying the nature of the objectionable content.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:47 AM   #10
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithvg View Post
Saw this on a school outing in 1978 and I have always wanted it, but the DVD was way too expensive. I hope that there will be a region B release some time soon.
My school outing to see this was in Jr. High - I honestly can't recall a single moment from this film except for some nudity that most of my classmates found amusing and funny.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:18 AM   #11
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Jul 2013
Michigan

I've read about this film a few times, but I've never seen it. I definitely need to add this to my collection.

As to the animal slaughter issue, I am never in favor of it. But as someone who eats meat, I can't quite attack the presence of it. I just don't like seeing it. It won't stop me from seeing this film, however.

It's interesting with people bringing up Apocalypse Now. I remember seeing it for the first time when I was 11 or 12, in the theater. The slaughter of the bull barely registered. Actually, and I can't quite remember since it was so long ago, I don't think it ever occurred to me that it was real. Yet, so many years later, when I revisit the film it does in fact bother me.

Funny how things like that work.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:32 AM   #12
Banned

Sep 2010

laidbacklarkin I assume you're a vegeterian?

By the way, I don't remember at all the scene in Apocalypse now you all mention.
Old 05-08-2016, 12:43 PM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011

I suggest that you stay away from a film from Mali called Yeelen. There's a scene where a live chicken is burned alive. Highly disturbing.

But if an animal is slaughtered for food like it would be normally, and they just film it like for example the opening credits of Bergman's Persona, then that doesn't really bother me because the animal would've gotten the same treatment either way. I guess what takes place in Iphigenia is something in between.
Old 05-08-2016, 04:03 PM   #14
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Jul 2013
Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by I KEEL YOU View Post
I suggest that you stay away from a film from Mali called Yeelen. There's a scene where a live chicken is burned alive. Highly disturbing.

But if an animal is slaughtered for food like it would be normally, and they just film it like for example the opening credits of Bergman's Persona, then that doesn't really bother me because the animal would've gotten the same treatment either way. I guess what takes place in Iphigenia is something in between.
Right. It's going to meet the same end either way (in your Persona example). Doesn't mean that I want to watch it, though.

It's totally hypocritical, as no one likes a good burger, for instance, more than I do. I just don't like to think about it or watch what goes down. Oh well.
Old 05-08-2016, 04:29 PM   #15

May 2015

The animals probably got eaten anyway. What's the difference if the slaughter happened on or off camera? Completely non-issue.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:53 PM   #16
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2013
Boulevard of Broken Dreams

It's definitely a huge issue for many film fans.
Old 05-15-2016, 05:48 PM   #17

May 2011

Excellent movie. Am really looking forward to seeing it again.

The slaying of the deer is a crucial element of the plot. Am sure if it was filmed now it would be faked. Although, if it was going to be eaten afterwards, I would not find it ethically troubling since I am a meat eater.

Another film that should be avoided by those troubled by filmed animal deaths: The Moment of Truth. An excellent film that provides a close-up look at bull fighting.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:31 AM   #18
Banned

Sep 2010

First review with screenshots.

it looks.. good.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film5/blu-r...ia_blu-ray.htm

Does anyone think that using a double layer disc would improve the things in encoding a bit?

Last edited by filmmusic; 05-16-2016 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-16-2016, 01:43 PM   #19
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmmusic View Post
First review with screenshots.

it looks.. good.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film5/blu-r...ia_blu-ray.htm

Does anyone think that using a double layer disc would improve the things in encoding a bit?
in those shots the encoding looks fine though.
Old 05-16-2016, 01:53 PM   #20
Banned

Sep 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin View Post
in those shots the encoding looks fine though.
Yeah, i didn't say otherwise.
I was just wondering if it could be improved from fine to outstanding!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America