Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Stanley Kubrick - Coffret (Blu-ray)
€37.54

The Godfather Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
€65.00
5 hrs ago
The Last Duel 4K (Blu-ray)
€19.99

The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
€87.26

Cliffhanger 4K (Blu-ray)
€7.99

Minuscule 2 : les mandibules du bout du monde (Blu-ray)
€13.90
21 hrs ago
Middle-Earth: The Ultimate Collector’s Set 4K (Blu-ray)
€192.88

Wagner: Der Ring Des Nibelungen (Blu-ray)
€84.65
14 hrs ago
Rush Hour Trilogy (Blu-ray)
€14.99
8 hrs ago
The Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
€44.90

The Wizard of Oz 4K (Blu-ray)
€11.50

Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
€95.19

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > France

Old 03-29-2016, 03:25 AM   #1
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2010
Default Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man

Got it today... looks and sounds fantastic. Region free, dubs and subs selectable from the main menu. Here is a photo off the screen by my iPhone...

Thanks given by:
Monroville (04-01-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 03:51 AM   #2
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2014
Los Angeles

DVD Beaver said that (at least) Son of Frankenstein only had French subs, no English. Is this title any different?
Old 03-29-2016, 05:16 AM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2010

No English subs, just French subs. French dub too.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:23 AM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2010

A quick update... I screened Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man tonight, and I realized something that I didn't in my quick spot check. This is a straight HD transfer off the original camera negative... No grain smoothing at all. No despeckling. This is what the absolute best 35mm print would look like. If you like digital purity with nice smooth gradations with no grain and not a single white spot, then wait for Universal to release these. But if you prefer something that looks just like the best film you've ever seen, don't think about it. Just order the French disks.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:42 PM   #5

Jul 2012

Has anyone out there got the French release of Son Of Frankenstein? I might order both if it improves on the DVD release.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:56 PM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2010

There is a beaver review on it that speaks glowingly of it. My copy has shipped along with Revenge of the Creature and I'll report on it when I get it. I expect that it will be amazing
Old 04-01-2016, 01:27 PM   #7
Blu-ray Count

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot View Post
There is a beaver review on it that speaks glowingly of it. My copy has shipped along with Revenge of the Creature and I'll report on it when I get it. I expect that it will be amazing
Revenge has shipped already? (Amazon.fr shows a release date of 4/27.) When it arrives, would you mind (cross)posting your thoughts in this thread for the benefit of those who may not explore the International forums?
Old 04-01-2016, 01:52 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
Los Angeles

I plan on getting these as the reviews come in. I just wish they released it as a box set to make my purchases easier.
Old 04-01-2016, 04:19 PM   #9
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoirFan View Post
Revenge has shipped already? (Amazon.fr shows a release date of 4/27.) When it arrives, would you mind (cross)posting your thoughts in this thread for the benefit of those who may not explore the International forums?
Sorry, it's House of Dracula that has shipped along with Son of Frankenstein. Revenge of the Creature and Werewolf of London are scheduled for May 9, so the 27th is probably the correct release date.
Thanks given by:
NoirFan (04-01-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 05:38 PM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2010

Three Mummy movies scheduled for June. This is great!
Old 04-10-2016, 12:49 AM   #11
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2010

Just got House of Dracula and Son of Frankenstein in the mail. It's going to be a fun weekend.
Thanks given by:
pnaschy (04-10-2016), xxnomad (04-10-2016)
Old 04-10-2016, 02:53 AM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2009
New York

Quote:
A quick update... I screened Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man tonight, and I realized something that I didn't in my quick spot check. This is a straight HD transfer off the original camera negative... No grain smoothing at all. No despeckling. This is what the absolute best 35mm print would look like. If you like digital purity with nice smooth gradations with no grain and not a single white spot, then wait for Universal to release these. But if you prefer something that looks just like the best film you've ever seen, don't think about it. Just order the French disks.
Off the original camera negative? I'd love for it to be true, but I doubt that very much. I doubt the negative even exists. Half of all films before 1950 don't exist in any form. There have been so many fires at storage facilities, idiot executives who have discarded negatives (or in some cases, discarded two of the three strips of 3-strip Technicolor films) and this was shot on nitrate stock, which is very subject to deterioration if not stored perfectly (and sometimes, even if it is) that it's hard to believe that the negative for this exists. Do you have any documentation for that claim?
Thanks given by:
sa5150 (04-16-2016)
Old 04-10-2016, 09:18 AM   #13

Apr 2013

Quote:
Just got House of Dracula and Son of Frankenstein in the mail. It's going to be a fun weekend.
Have you watched House of Dracula yet? Curious about the quality.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:31 PM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2010

I watched Son of Frankenstein last night... almost as good quality as Frank Meets Wolf, but not quite. It showed some signs of dupy-ness in the film element. Slight density flickers, speckles, not quite as sharp... but overall it looked better than I've ever seen it before. The quality is comparable with the ones on the Uni Monsters box, just with a little bit more film anomalies. You can really appreciate the sets and lighting in HD. The sound was VERY good. The music is incredible in this film. Very solid transfer. Again, the impression is very much like screening a super clean 35mm print. Very film like.

House of Dracula is next on my list to screen.
Thanks given by:
pnaschy (04-12-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 04:27 PM   #15

Apr 2013

Thanks bigshot, I only have Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman at the moment so I may go for House of Dracula. I don't think I'll bother with anymore of the Frankenstein films as there is the rumour they are coming out from Universal with brand new 4k remasters.
May be tempted by the Mummy films and The Werewolf of London though.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:46 PM   #16
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2012

HOUSE OF DRACULA has Frankenstein and is part of the Universal 4k overhaul,
so you may want to wait on that as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoetMB View Post
Off the original camera negative? Do you have any documentation for that claim?
Of course he doesn't.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:55 PM   #17
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2010

It's got the Universal logo at the beginning. The disks are made using Universal's master elements. If a camera negative exists, they are using it for these transfers. To me, it looks like Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man is mastered from either an original negative, or a very early generation element off that. Son of Frankenstein appears to be from a later element.
Old 04-16-2016, 08:45 PM   #18
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2014
Los Angeles

I doubt the these discs are from original negs. That would mean Universal would be supplying those negs, but they wouldn't do that, they would just supply the masters and do the scans/work themselves. But there's no evidence nor reason Universal would allow a small label to distribute all of their unreleased horror films in one country without releasing them in the US first, or having a simultaneous worldwide release like the previous box set.

They are most likely foreign prints from various re-releases through the years. What Ive seen looks good, but does't look like it's got the clarity and density to be from a neg. (I've only seen hi-res screen grabs though.)
Old 04-17-2016, 01:23 AM   #19
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates_Motel View Post
But there's no evidence nor reason Universal would allow a small label to distribute all of their unreleased horror films in one country without releasing them in the US first, or having a simultaneous worldwide release like the previous box set.
Uh... isn't that just what they've done?!

These disks start with the current Universal "boom boom" logo. They're clearly mastered from Universal's film elements and transfers. The French company is just packaging and distributing for Universal. These aren't the same as the RKO films being released in Japan. I bet Universal did the transfers and then had second thoughts about the profitability of these films and are cutting their losses by releasing them in Europe without all the costly restoration and bells and whistles.

I own three of these. They are DEFINITELY Universal's transfers.

By the way, they aren't releasing ALL of the secondary Universal monster films on blu-ray. Just about half of them are on blu-ray and about half are being released on DVD.

Last edited by bigshot; 04-17-2016 at 01:36 AM.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:40 AM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2011
London

I thought it was just a case of Universal licensing out titles to various companies worldwide, the same as all the other studios are doing (except Warner). Universal is a big company, & I wouldn't have thought that the part of the company doing the new transfers is that happy about another part of the company licensing out old transfers of those films, but I don't know. I'm going to (hopefully) wait for the new transfers.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > France