Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Beetlejuice 4K Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Desperado / El Mariachi / Once Upon a Time in Mexico (Blu-ray)
$22.99
1 day ago
Neon Genesis Evangelion: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$37.99

Black Widow 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Phantasm I & II (Blu-ray)
$22.99

The Sherlock Holmes Vault Collection (Blu-ray)
$42.99

The Crown: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$36.99
1 day ago
Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$37.99

Zack Snyder's Justice League Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$69.99

Mad Max: The Road Warrior 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.99

Beavis and Butt-Head Do America (Blu-ray)
$17.99
16 hrs ago
Night Has a Thousand Eyes (Blu-ray)
$17.99
8 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 05-31-2016, 08:34 PM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014
Default Do new Blu ray players require an internet connection?!

As I mentioned in another thread, I am having some technical issues with my Samsung Blu player that I bought new in December 2012. The warranty is no longer valid for this. I am not ready to throw in the towel yet, however, but am also open to the possibility that I may have to get a new Blu player at some point.

As it turns out, the TV this Blu player is connected to does not have an Internet connect (my choice).

If I do get a new Blu player, do these new players require that you connect to the Internet to do some kind of registration/etc.? Sorry if this is a nonsensical question, but I was just reading other threads that mentioned an Internet connection re: new Blu players.

Thanks in advance for any info. on this.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:42 PM   #2
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnamorphicWidescreen View Post
As I mentioned in another thread, I am having some technical issues with my Samsung Blu player that I bought new in December 2012. The warranty is no longer valid for this. I am not ready to throw in the towel yet, however, but am also open to the possibility that I may have to get a new Blu player at some point.

As it turns out, the TV this Blu player is connected to does not have an Internet connect (my choice).

If I do get a new Blu player, do these new players require that you connect to the Internet to do some kind of registration/etc.? Sorry if this is a nonsensical question, but I was just reading other threads that mentioned an Internet connection re: new Blu players.

Thanks in advance for any info. on this.
For BD and DVD playback, no, they don't. For some Apps you may have to go on-line and register the player, usually you open the App get a code and enter it on-line through a web browser.
Thanks given by:
AnamorphicWidescreen (05-31-2016)
Old 05-31-2016, 08:44 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
For BD and DVD playback, no, they don't. For some Apps you may have to go on-line and register the player, usually you open the App get a code and enter it on-line through a web browser.
Good to know - Thanks for the quick response.
Thanks given by:
chip75 (05-31-2016)
Old 05-31-2016, 08:48 PM   #4
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2007

Blu-ray players work without Internet, however with no Internet connection you will not be able to use features like BD-LIVE to stream the latest trailers and bonus features from Blu-ray titles that use BD-LIVE. Also built in features like Netflix and VUDU apps will not work without an Internet connection.

Firmware updates use an Internet connection also. However using a USB stick with firmware files copied from a computer will also allow one to update their Blu-ray player without Internet.

In the future you might consider connecting your player with a wired Ethernet networking cable or get a Blu-ray player with built in WI-FI.

Your existing Blu-ray player you did not mention what was wrong with it. You might want to do a factory reset in the menu and power cycle the player. Also make sure the latest firmware update is installed so that you can play the latest Blu-ray movies that use the latest encryption keys.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:48 PM   #5
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Good to know - Thanks for the quick response.
You're welcome. I've got three Samsung players. I'm not sure if I'd buy another! The only good things about them are you can cycled back and forth through subtitle and audio options, which is great when you have 23 subtitle tracks! and you can jump to any timeline, which is something my Sony player sorely lacks.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:53 PM   #6
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2007

OPPO Blu-ray players and some other brands allow for manual subtitle and audio option selections. I recommend OPPO, Sony, and Panasonic brand Blu-ray players for the best reliability and firmware support.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:18 PM   #7
Special Member

Oct 2007

I think the answer is not as simple as 'no'. I do not want my players connected to the internet, and there have been a few (and I mean less than a handful) of titles that would not get past certain loading points prior to starting the movie without a connection. Some titles just wanted additional memory for loading, but there have been some titles that the main feature would not work without it. I believe this issue is player specific, so it may not replicate it on other machines. The titles were always a very obscure distributor.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:28 PM   #8
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronVH View Post
I think the answer is not as simple as 'no'. I do not want my players connected to the internet, and there have been a few (and I mean less than a handful) of titles that would not get past certain loading points prior to starting the movie without a connection. Some titles just wanted additional memory for loading, but there have been some titles that the main feature would not work without it. I believe this issue is player specific, so it may not replicate it on other machines. The titles were always a very obscure distributor.
Usually if you run into issues it's because the disc is looking for a connection that isn't present. If you make sure that your network settings are off or you select "don't allow" or "don't connect", you should be okay. Some discs like THX-1138 do require storage space, but similar BDs aren't hugely common.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:56 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

Thanks everyone - this is all good info.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:18 AM   #10
Special Member

Oct 2007

Quote:
Usually if you run into issues it's because the disc is looking for a connection that isn't present. If you make sure that your network settings are off or you select "don't allow" or "don't connect", you should be okay. Some discs like THX-1138 do require storage space, but similar BDs aren't hugely common.
That is absolutely correct. I have run into very obscure titles that could not get past loading even with the "don't allow" selected. They were typically Asian distributors, but they are so few and far between that it is almost not worth mentioning. On an older player, some Lionsgate disks had issues, but those were firmware matters, and I doubt it was connectivity, and those issues did not arise on the popular Lionsgate titles, only deep catalog titles. In all cases it seemed like the manufacturer just put the disks out with minimal effort to maximize returns.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:52 AM   #11
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2007
Victoria, BC

Blu-ray players do not need to be connected to the internet to work. Although UHD 4K Blu-ray players do need to be connected to the internet to play UHD 4K Blu-ray content.
Thanks given by:
AnamorphicWidescreen (06-01-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 12:49 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada View Post
Blu-ray players do not need to be connected to the internet to work. Although UHD 4K Blu-ray players do need to be connected to the internet to play UHD 4K Blu-ray content.
Good to know. Because of this, I'm definitely not investing in a UHD 4K Blu-ray player - ever. I don't want to be forced to be connected to the Internet when watching Blu's - what a hassle.

Quote:
Understood. However, this is ridiculous. I know Blu is a high-quality format, but can't they design a player that will support all Blu's that are played on this?! After all, what's the point of buying a Blu player if you can't load/play Blu's without more memory than the machine has, etc. Hell, I may as well stick to streaming & regular DVD's....at least that way I won't have to jump through hoops in order to get my damn movie to play.

Last edited by AnamorphicWidescreen; 06-01-2016 at 01:12 PM.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:38 PM   #13
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2009

I have bought four Sony Blu-ray players in the past and all have "do not allow" internet in the setup menu as an option. The only thing I would suggest you use internet for is if you have a firmware update, but even then you can sometimes load from a dvd or a usb drive.
Old 06-01-2016, 02:03 PM   #14
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada View Post
I'm not sure that's true. my friend has the Samsung UHD player, it's not connected to the internet and it plays all the 4K movies he has just fine. he just can't do bd-live or get new online trailers.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:42 PM   #15
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Hell, I may as well stick to streaming & regular DVD's....at least that way I won't have to jump through hoops in order to get my damn movie to play.
I think some of the earlier players had a bit more on-board memory, so they bypassed any storage issues, but some BDs do require external storage. But they are few and far between (and we have the chaps on Blu-ray.com to keep us informed), so BDs are worth the effort. In the case of THX-1138, it was recently re-issued in the UK and the issue was resolved, but it's always handy to have a small USB drive plugged into your machine, as some players do require the storage to remember your location on the disc (if the films' support that feature).
Old 06-02-2016, 07:26 PM   #16
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
I'm not sure that's true. my friend has the Samsung UHD player, it's not connected to the internet and it plays all the 4K movies he has just fine. he just can't do bd-live or get new online trailers.

That is my understanding also. Existing 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray titles and players do not need a Internet connection. Perhaps in the future certain studios could activate that feature, but to my knowledge no studios is requiring online activation yet.
Old 12-27-2017, 04:42 AM   #17

Dec 2017
Elliot Lake, Northern Ontario, Canada
Canada Newbie in Northern Ontario with some questions

We just purchased our first 4K Ultra HDTV (Samsung UN55MU6500) and have been researching 4K Ultra BD players, which brought us to a wealth of information here.

Our research seemed to indicate that 4k Ultra HD discs would require online activation to play, AND that the activation would be locked to a specific player (ie: that a disc locked to the player in the living room could not be played (or activated) also on a player in another room.

Also mentioned was the reported fact that 4K Ultra HD discs shipped with a matching Blu Ray disc, which was both region and zone free.

Currently we are looking at buying Sony's UBP X800 as all indications are that it performs better than Samsung's M8500 UHD, although neither can match OPPO's UBP203 expensive dream machine.

Sorry to be so long winded, but I'm really out of my depth with this, more so since I have to also decide if we should go for a retail model or a region-free NTSC-PAL version of the X800.

Thank you!
Old 12-27-2017, 05:02 AM   #18
Blu-ray Duke

Oct 2010

I don't know where you are finding your information, but most of what you stated is false. You don't need an Internet connection to play movies on a 4k player, and movies don't get locked to a single player. You can take that same movie and go watch it on a friend's player. The only true part is, that 4k discs are region free. Also, I would definitely recommend the Sony player over the Samsung. Samsung TVs good/Samsung players no good. The Sony will out last the Samsung. I'll be upgrading my current 4k player to that same Sony model in a couple of weeks. Hope all this helps.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:06 PM   #19

Dec 2017
Elliot Lake, Northern Ontario, Canada
Canada Thank you! More advice please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula_nebula View Post
I don't know where you are finding your information, but most of what you stated is false. You don't need an Internet connection to play movies on a 4k player, and movies don't get locked to a single player. You can take that same movie and go watch it on a friend's player. The only true part is, that 4k discs are region free. Also, I would definitely recommend the Sony player over the Samsung. Samsung TVs good/Samsung players no good. The Sony will out last the Samsung. I'll be upgrading my current 4k player to that same Sony model in a couple of weeks. Hope all this helps.
Thanks for the info and clarifications. The more research I did the more confusing things became - until I stumbled upon this forum!

So, as I understand it for now at least, I can buy the Sony UBP-X800 player, hook it up to my new 4K UHD Samsung and play 4k discs without ever having either connected to the internet? Sounds wonderful. What about the matching BluRays that are packaged with 4k discs? Rumors circulating are that these are also region/zone free. This sounds too good to be true as folks would be buying 4k disks in order to circumvent having to deal with zone-restricted BluRays.

Thanks for the advice regarding buying the Sony. The final decision here is whether to just purchase the retail version ($199 here in Canada) or the ntsc-pal region/zone free version ($598 on amazon.ca).

We've a large collection of regions 2 & 4 DVDs from UK, Ireland, Germany and Australia and they still play fine on our Yamaha DVD S2700. Doubtful if any of these oldies would ever be remastered to BluRay or 4K, although I wish the "Noble House" from Australia was!
Old 12-28-2017, 08:51 PM   #20

Sep 2013
Burnaby, BC Canada
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tembo View Post
Thanks for the info and clarifications. The more research I did the more confusing things became - until I stumbled upon this forum!

So, as I understand it for now at least, I can buy the Sony UBP-X800 player, hook it up to my new 4K UHD Samsung and play 4k discs without ever having either connected to the internet? Sounds wonderful. What about the matching BluRays that are packaged with 4k discs? Rumors circulating are that these are also region/zone free. This sounds too good to be true as folks would be buying 4k disks in order to circumvent having to deal with zone-restricted BluRays.

We've a large collection of regions 2 & 4 DVDs from UK, Ireland, Germany and Australia and they still play fine on our Yamaha DVD S2700. Doubtful if any of these oldies would ever be remastered to BluRay or 4K, although I wish the "Noble House" from Australia was!
Welcome to the forums Tempo

I just speak from my personal collection/taste, but I don't own any region locked blurays, hence just the region free DVD feature would be enough for my region 9 HongKong/Asia dvds. Good research would be to search up some bluray discs you may have on your hitlist and see if they're region B or C. Otherwise it might be a waste paying 3x for that $600 player. Mind you i don't know enough whether that player will help upscale your Dvds to reasonable quality on your spanking new TV, that's assuming your Yamaha doesn't upscale.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders