Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Hunger Games 4-Film Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
C$18.99

Vikings: Seasons 1-4 Box Set (Blu-ray)
C$51.99

Bohemian Rhapsody (Blu-ray)
C$24.99

Justice League (Blu-ray)
C$13.99

Ant-Man and the Wasp (Blu-ray)
C$23.99

Deadpool 1 + 2 (Blu-ray)
C$20.99

Ant-Man and the Wasp (Blu-ray)
C$23.99

Blade Runner 2049 (Blu-ray)
C$13.99

The Song Remains the Same (Blu-ray)
C$9.99

The X-Files: Season 1 to 10 Collection (Blu-ray)
C$83.99

Elf (Blu-ray)
C$7.99

A Merry Friggin Christmas (Blu-ray)
C$4.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Canada

Old 07-27-2016, 04:26 AM   #1
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2008
Default Star Trek II for Canadians

Today I got this email from Paramount about my White UPC Wrath of Khan Director's Edition:

Quote:
Thank you for contacting us about the error on the Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan Director’s Cut Blu-ray release.

This error is only affecting Blu-ray product coming from U.S. retailers. If you purchased your Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan Director’s Cut Blu-ray from a U.S. retailer, please provide proof of purchase (receipt from the retailer and a copy/scan of the packing slip), name and mailing address. Once we verify that it is eligible for replacement, we will send you the corrected product.

We always appreciate receiving feedback from enthusiasts such as yourself and apologize for any inconvenience this error has caused.

Again, thank you for your interest in our products and we look forward to continuing to bring you outstanding entertainment in the future.

Sincerely,
Returns Fulfillment Team
I chatted with Amazon Canada and they said they will give me a refund with a prepaid mail label. I will see how that goes cause it probably will be via CanPost and the lockout/strike may mess it up but I still do not get a exchange which is what I wanted in the first place.

Anyway share your White UPC experience/issues/solutions.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:21 AM   #2

Jun 2011
Toronto

I got this exact same reply from them. I wrote back and told them I definitely can confirm the mastering issue on my copy, which I purchased from Best Buy Canada (in-store, not online). They asked me just to send a photo of the UPC on the case, and said as long as it checks out they can facilitate shipping of the return mailer to Canada. I will update with their reply as to how they're proceeding. I'm pretty sure this will go through, otherwise they'll have a lot of upset phone calls... I did send them a copy of my Best Buy receipt as well.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:33 AM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2009
Toronto, Ontario

Quote:
Originally Posted by uther View Post
I chatted with Amazon Canada and they said they will give me a refund with a prepaid mail label. I will see how that goes cause it probably will be via CanPost and the lockout/strike may mess it up but I still do not get a exchange which is what I wanted in the first place.

Anyway share your White UPC experience/issues/solutions.
I've seen corrected (yellow label) copies in both Best Buy and HMV, so your best option (in terms of turnaround time) is probably to just do the Amazon return and go buy a corrected copy.

Apparently it's taken as long as 30 days for some US members to get their replacement copies.

Plus, the risk of any immediate CP strike is gone. I wouldn't worry until either party start throwing dates around again, but certainly enough time to facilitate sending a package within Canada.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:54 PM   #4
Special Member

Nov 2009
Calgary
Send a message via Yahoo to chaingunsofdoom

Sorry, is there specific contact info for Canada? I'm past 30 days @ Best Buy and definitely have to uncorrected copy.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:40 AM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2008

I returned it to Amazon Canada so I am past the point of no return now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaingunsofdoom View Post
Sorry, is there specific contact info for Canada? I'm past 30 days @ Best Buy and definitely have to uncorrected copy.
Not that I know of, only the US contact:
Quote:
Fans who would like a replacement should contact our customer service department at wrathofkhanreturns@tce.com or toll free at 844-898-4365.
Good luck and I guess HypnoToad is past 30 days as well or opened it.

Last edited by uther; 07-28-2016 at 02:49 AM.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:35 AM   #6

Jun 2011
Toronto

Yeah, I had opened mine so I couldn't take it back to Best Buy. I did get get a confirmation this evening finally. This is what the email said:
Thank you for the providing the additional proof of purchase details. At this time, we are processing your replacement and will be shipping to the address provided. Although delivery times may vary due to Customs clearance, we will ship out your DVD within the next 3-5 days. Again, thank you for your interest in our products and we look forward to continuing to bring you outstanding entertainment in the future.

Sincerely,
Returns Fulfillment Team
It seems to indicate that they're sending me the replacement without having me send back the original? Or maybe they mean they're shipping out my mailer in 3-5 days? I sure as hell hope I don't get an old DVD in the mail! I guess I'll wait and see...

Quote:
I returned it to Amazon Canada so I am past the point of no return now.

Not that I know of, only the US contact:

Good luck and I guess HypnoToad is past 30 days as well or opened it.
Old 07-29-2016, 01:11 AM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by HypnoToad View Post
It seems to indicate that they're sending me the replacement without having me send back the original? Or maybe they mean they're shipping out my mailer in 3-5 days? I sure as hell hope I don't get an old DVD in the mail! I guess I'll wait and see...
I would not rule anything out at this point.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:34 AM   #8

May 2010
Canada

I don't understand all of the problems customers in the US and Canada are having with this disc. I did not purchase it on the week the disc streeted. Instead I purchased it a couple of weeks ago at HMV in downtown toronto, it was a fixed copy with the gold 50th band and the yellow barcode. No muss, no fuss, no hassle!

Old 07-29-2016, 06:04 AM   #9

Jun 2011
Toronto

Well I think if you had picked it up an any point before that you would have had an issue, as bad copies were still on the shelf right into July (which is how I ended up with one). I got mine at Best Buy because it was $5 cheaper than HMV (still is I think), but the BB one was shrink-wrapped with a different barcode/UPC stuck on the outside of the plastic, covering up the UPC on the case itself. I took a gamble that it was the corrected version behind the external sticker, knowing that if it wasn't at least I could have it replaced and still save the $5. Given that I've seen the movie a dozen times I don't mind waiting a few weeks for a corrected copy (or possibly a second copy!). Anyone who doesn't read early reviews or follow forums wouldn't have known to stay away at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy_Batty View Post
I don't understand all of the problems customers in the US and Canada are having with this disc. I did not purchase it on the week the disc streeted. Instead I purchased it a couple of weeks ago at HMV in downtown toronto, it was a fixed copy with the gold 50th band and the yellow barcode. No muss, no fuss, no hassle!

Old 07-30-2016, 02:40 AM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy_Batty View Post
Not sure what you are getting at. It's not like the White UPC Khans were pulled from selves and online sells after Paramount made the recall announcement.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:12 PM   #11
Expert Member

Dec 2009
Ontario, CANADA

I think he's saying you knew it was defective but took a gamble and bought it anyway because you couldn't wait and hoped to exercise the US disc replacement program.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:15 PM   #12
Expert Member

Dec 2009
Ontario, CANADA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HypnoToad View Post
Thank you for the providing the additional proof of purchase details. At this time, we are processing your replacement and will be shipping to the address provided. Although delivery times may vary due to Customs clearance, we will ship out your DVD within the next 3-5 days. Again, thank you for your interest in our products and we look forward to continuing to bring you outstanding entertainment in the future.

Sincerely,

Returns Fulfillment Team

Yes they are kindly sending replacements to non-US residents who provide proof of purchase from a US retailer, without need to send the old disc back to the States.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:24 PM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post
Yes they are kindly sending replacements to non-US residents who provide proof of purchase from a US retailer, without need to send the old disc back to the States.
If you had bothered to read the thread from the beginning you would see HypoToad bought the White UPC from BB CANADA and I bought the White UPC from Amazon CANADA and both of us before finding out there was a recall.

Quote:
I think he's saying you knew it was defective but took a gamble and bought it anyway because you couldn't wait and hoped to exercise the US disc replacement program.
Anybody who thinks that would be completely wrong. Some people like blaming the victims.

Last edited by uther; 08-01-2016 at 10:34 PM.
Old 08-02-2016, 02:50 AM   #14
Expert Member

Dec 2009
Ontario, CANADA

Quote:
If you had bothered to read the thread from the beginning you would see HypoToad bought the White UPC from BB CANADA and I bought the White UPC from Amazon CANADA and both of us before finding out there was a recall.
Saw that!! My main point was it is possible to get a direct replacement without shipping anything back since other non-US residents were. The fact that they accepted his Canadian proof of purchase is interesting... Paramount appears to be bending their rules for Canada (which makes sense as it is the same master). I'm surprised they didn't decide to let the Canadian distributor handle it though.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:12 AM   #15
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2009
Toronto, Ontario

Quote:
Saw that!! My main point was it is possible to get a direct replacement without shipping anything back since other non-US residents were. The fact that they accepted his Canadian proof of purchase is interesting... Paramount appears to be bending their rules for Canada (which makes sense as it is the same master). I'm surprised they didn't decide to let the Canadian distributor handle it though.
I would guess it's because it would be cost-prohibitive to send out SASE or other pre-paid return envelopes to international customers... then we'd be talking closer to $10 worth of shipping fees vs. a few bucks for returning discs within the US.

What are they going to do with the returned copies anyways? Re-use the returned cases maybe? They'll need to print new artwork to change the UPC colour anyways
Old 08-03-2016, 04:09 AM   #16

Jun 2009
Ontario, Canada

Just ordered from Amazon.ca and received one of the white upc boxes as well. I've requested a refund rather than gambling on another from amazon.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:49 AM   #17

Jun 2011
Toronto

I just received my replacement copy! Full retail box with slipcover, shrink wrap, and movie money! Took a little while to get sorted but I'm happy with the outcome. Didn't have to send the original back.
Thanks given by:
AVfile (08-06-2016)
Old 08-20-2016, 05:56 AM   #18
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2009
Toronto, Ontario

Just wanted to add that it appears Best Buy is shipping out corrected copies for online orders of WoK.

Ordered my copy a few days ago and it arrived today. Ended up getting it for $8.99 because they dropped the price the day after I placed my order

Did not come with Movie Cash or the 50th Anniversary banner though... oh well
Thanks given by:
AVfile (08-20-2016)
Old 09-24-2016, 10:07 AM   #19

Jun 2009
Ontario, Canada

Was just Best Buy in Barrie today and found a copy with the anniversary banner, but still had the old white UPC on the back. Anyone know if they fixed the disc inside on these, or are they just repackaging the old one with the editing error?
Old 09-24-2016, 02:34 PM   #20
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Flibble View Post
Was just Best Buy in Barrie today and found a copy with the anniversary banner, but still had the old white UPC on the back. Anyone know if they fixed the disc inside on these, or are they just repackaging the old one with the editing error?
Highly unlikely it is the fixed disc. Old BD editions hang around for a long time in Canada.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Canada