Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Blade Runner 2049 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.27

Shazam! 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Justice League 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Thor: The Dark World 3D (Blu-ray)
$20.14

The Amityville Horror Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Rampage 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.67

Dino King 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.99

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey 3D (Blu-ray)
$13.87

Mysteries of the Unseen World 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

The Secret Life of Pets 3D (Blu-ray)
$13.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D TVs and 3D projectors

Old 01-05-2017, 09:05 PM   #141
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011
Illinois

^ I never got around to buying a 3D TV. I was collecting some 3D titles (108 to be exact) in anticipation of my next TV having the capability.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:14 PM   #142
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalSpiderbite View Post
Why quit suddenly buying 3D releases? It's not like you can't enjoy them on your current display. And when you need a new display, just buy one that utilizes 3D.
Um, isn't that the point? How will you be able to "just buy one that utilizes 3D" when no manufacturer will make them? Which LG model would you suggest I buy this fall if my current LG model failed? Or any other brand for that matter? Keep in mind my small apartment so 55" is the biggest I can go. Zero options once 2016 models sell out.

I agree there's no point to stop buying 3D titles if you're currently enjoying 3D on your current set. But it does seem disheartening to know the discs you are enjoying may be a once-only thing since the next time you want to pop it in a few years from now you may not have a 3D display to do so.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:15 PM   #143

Jul 2016

Does anyone know of recent trends on 3D blu-ray purchases? Just curious if they've held steady the past few years or, fingers crossed, even saw some growth.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:25 PM   #144
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011
Illinois

Fortune.com says that DVD and Blu-ray sales fell 12% in 2015 while digital was up 18%. Only 44% of households owned a blu-ray player in 2015. Amazingly, 15% of homes in 2015 still didn't have a broadband internet connection, either.

I could not find a breakdown for 3D blu ray sales alone with the 30 second effort I spent with Google.

http://fortune.com/2016/01/08/blu-ra...streaming-age/
Old 01-05-2017, 10:07 PM   #145

Jun 2013

What about 3d digital movies? If companies aren't going to support 3d blu-rays in the foreseeable future, what about 3d digital offerings?
Old 01-05-2017, 10:25 PM   #146
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek2525 View Post
Does anyone know of recent trends on 3D blu-ray purchases? Just curious if they've held steady the past few years or, fingers crossed, even saw some growth.
Looking through the last few months of charts (about 6 months) on Home Media Magazine's web sit... In general, out side of Captain America: Civil War, nothing is really cracking 4% of disc sales, unless on sale. Even then it looks like 8% of overall disc sales about the max. When released concurrently with a UHD counterpart, the UHD disc out sells it about 2:1.

UHD sales are also outpacing the launch of Blu-ray and the 3D market.

Fitprod
Old 01-05-2017, 10:31 PM   #147
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Ellis View Post
What about 3d digital movies? If companies aren't going to support 3d blu-rays in the foreseeable future, what about 3d digital offerings?
Well that all depends on how you purchase the EST 3D file. It depends if your streaming distribution point still support it. If using a cable company like Comcast, they're starting to drop support. (Actualll Comcast has dropped 3D support completely... Including HBO's 3D offerings, which will likely finish that option off completely.)

Fitprod
Old 01-05-2017, 10:46 PM   #148

Apr 2013
Birmingham, AL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar3o View Post
Um, isn't that the point? How will you be able to "just buy one that utilizes 3D" when no manufacturer will make them? Which LG model would you suggest I buy this fall if my current LG model failed? Or any other brand for that matter? Keep in mind my small apartment so 55" is the biggest I can go. Zero options once 2016 models sell out.
So there are no other brands selling new 55" televisions that are 3D capable?
Old 01-05-2017, 10:46 PM   #149
Special Member

Oct 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
Thank you for the link, but I am more concerned about spending any more money on a format that is probably dying. If I were to buy a new 3D capable TV, I could enjoy it for awhile. When it eventually fails there likely will be no viable 3D hardware. It seems like this is a "cut your losses" moment.
Totally disagree.

I will go to a Front Projector if the direct-view TV market rejects my need.

Plus, 3D Blu-rays almost always (with very few exceptions) come with either a 2D version on the same disc or a separate 2D Blu-ray disc in the package.

I think that a manufacturer will recognize the niche market for 3D in the home and realize the profit potential in a small target audience.

What I will be cutting will be those manufacturers who cut me out.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:53 PM   #150
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

Quote:
So there are no other brands selling new 55" televisions that are 3D capable?
Rumor has it Sony is dropping 3D as well. I don't know if that's true. But after seeing LG's passive tech I wouldn't want to go back to active. What else is left? LG is out. Vizio is out. Panasonic is out. Samsung is out (and they only supported active plus I hated the 2016 Samsung model I tried before landing on the LG).
Old 01-05-2017, 10:58 PM   #151

Oct 2011
-
-
-

After spending $$$ and getting screwed by the demise of HD-DVD, I swore I would never pay more than $10-$12 for a 3D blu-ray for this exact reason. I know it's a double edge sword: don't support the format and it goes bye-bye quickly or support the format and hope you didn't waste a small fortune when it eventually becomes out dated.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:03 PM   #152
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

Yup - I'm thoroughly depressed that Hollywood continues to promote 3D in theatres (a good thing) yet hardware support at home is being dropped without a 2nd thought by the manufacturers (a very bad thing). 3D was around a lot longer than HD-DVD and many bought into the format. There have been a lot of 3D disc sales over the years. And it's still being supported by disc manufacturers and studios which makes this all the more baffling. It's sad that the TV makers don't care enough to offer support for a current supported format when we spend thousands on their TVs.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:06 PM   #153
Special Member

Oct 2007

Quote:
Rumor has it Sony is dropping 3D as well. I don't know if that's true. But after seeing LG's passive tech I wouldn't want to go back to active. What else is left? LG is out. Vizio is out. Panasonic is out. Samsung is out (and they only supported active plus I hated the 2016 Samsung model I tried before landing on the LG).
I believe Samsung abandoned 3D on all the 2016 models.

Angered me then as I have a 60" Samsung UN60H7150 and it is a great HDTV.
3D is great and beat the pants off my older Panasonic Plasma.
I would have continued with Samsung in the future,
but Samsung (like others) chose to leave me in the past.

If necessary, my future will be a Front Projector.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:16 PM   #154
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2014
Murder Capital, USA home of the Stanley Cup!

It is a sad situation, but I have plenty of 3d movies yet to watch, and two systems on which to watch them. I figured LG was dropping 3d when I went to their website last month and couldn't find new (3d) ones. I was interested in the OLED, but unless there is a great "Superbowl Sale" for the old models, I'll pass.
As far as why they are doing it, the answer is always money. Those of you believe that the cost is minimal to incorporate it, probably don't know every angle. The market is small, of course, anecdotally I can tell you that I have to pretty much watch all my 3d movies alone. I don't know anyone outside this forum that has any interest in it. I know people that have a 3d TV that have never watched a 3d movie on it.
I was also sad when my Atari computer was no longer supported, but guess what, it still works! Pray that your TV was built well, and enjoy what you have.
Thanks given by:
dmode (01-05-2017), Joe D. (01-05-2017), Rickyrockard (01-06-2017)
Old 01-05-2017, 11:26 PM   #155
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOOT View Post
I believe Samsung abandoned 3D on all the 2016 models.
You're right. I meant a 2015 Samsung. I bought a 2015 model at the beginning of 2016, but I hated the way the backlighting system worked (it was very poor in dark scenes and the letterbox bars were very unstable with constant fluctuations in brightness). I gave it a month and returned it, and since Samsung dropped 3D in 2016, they had no 2016 3D offering to try out, so I ended up trying the 2016 model LG 8500 and the image was way more stable - no more fluctuating letterbox bars. The backlighting still has issues in low light scenes since it's an edge-lit LCD but it's a pretty stable and consistent image overall, and the 3D and UHD images are stunning.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:30 PM   #156
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon1281 View Post
It is a sad situation, but I have plenty of 3d movies yet to watch, and two systems on which to watch them. I figured LG was dropping 3d when I went to their website last month and couldn't find new (3d) ones. I was interested in the OLED, but unless there is a great "Superbowl Sale" for the old models, I'll pass.
As far as why they are doing it, the answer is always money. Those of you believe that the cost is minimal to incorporate it, probably don't know every angle. The market is small, of course, anecdotally I can tell you that I have to pretty much watch all my 3d movies alone. I don't know anyone outside this forum that has any interest in it. I know people that have a 3d TV that have never watched a 3d movie on it.
I was also sad when my Atari computer was no longer supported, but guess what, it still works! Pray that your TV was built well, and enjoy what you have.
I wish I had the money for a backup set. I'd go out and buy another LG 8500 and store it in the back room so if/when my current one dies I would still have a fallback 3D set. On the one hand I wouldn't have the newest tech available when I need a new set, but on the other hand, I'd still have a 3D TV.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:44 PM   #157
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2014
Southeast U.S.

Quote:
Apparently not a rumor. No mention of 3D in the Sony conference.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=&page=1
Old 01-05-2017, 11:44 PM   #158
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2014

Quote:
Why quit suddenly buying 3D releases? It's not like you can't enjoy them on your current display. And when you need a new display, just buy one that utilizes 3D.

I am not worried. Too many 3D discs and people still buying them out there. Someone will support it.
I might still buy used, but no way paying the prices I was previously going into an unsupported format. PJ is not an option for me.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:46 PM   #159
Special Member

Jun 2013

In terms of a 3D relaunch, I imagine manufacturers would want to take a long break for memories of the first, failed foray to fade...and for a truly revelatory new technology to emerge. Even then, probably not a high priority on the planning boards.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:48 PM   #160
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011
Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllOuttaBubbleGum View Post
In terms of a 3D relaunch, I imagine manufacturers would want to take a long break for memories of the first, failed foray to fade...and for a truly revelatory new technology to emerge. Even then, probably not a high priority on the planning boards.
Kind of a "fooled me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." sort of thing.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D TVs and 3D projectors