Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Black Friday Deals Week is Live »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Full Metal Jacket 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
1 hr ago
His Dark Materials: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99
3 hrs ago
Game of Thrones: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$115.99
2 hrs ago
Requiem for a Dream 4K (Blu-ray)
$7.99

The Flintstones: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$44.98
1 day ago
1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$7.99

Star Trek: The Original Motion Picture Collection (Blu-ray)
$9.96
1 day ago
Game of Thrones: The Complete Eighth Season 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
2 hrs ago
Gamera: The Showa Era (Blu-ray)
$72.99
22 hrs ago
Game of Thrones: The Complete Collector's Set (Blu-ray)
$153.99
2 hrs ago
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99

007: The Daniel Craig Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 01-24-2017, 10:38 AM   #1
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2014
Question Tips for Packing/Storing a Movie Collection for a Move?

Hey guys...

I did a general search and didn't see a dedicated thread on this topic. If there is one (or ten) slap me proper and link me thusly, please.

At any rate, the thread title is pretty self-explanatory.

My situation: My lease is up in a handful of months. I'm most likely moving out. So, I have started clearing shelves and packing up things, just to be ready. And Thank God, cause it's amazing how much crap we have when we really start having to take inventory of it.

My dvd/blu-ray collection is not the largest, probably around 500 titles. Many titles I'm going to throw up on eBay in lots to move what I don't need.

My plan is to use 14X14X14 cardboard boxes (not too large, not too small), line them with trash bags, and stack the movies gently inside. Tape said boxes up, mark them, and wait.

I also plan to do this with my book collection, and VHS collection.

My records, laserdiscs, comic books, and magazines are already in traditional storage boxes (comic book shop style).

So, any thoughts on packing dvds and blu-rays (and, yes, hd-dvds)? Any concerns I should have about keeping said collection boxed up for potentially a couple of months on end? Any tips and tricks to this madness?

Thanks in advance, guys!

Last edited by Scottie; 01-26-2017 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:48 AM   #2
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

Sounds like you already have a good plan in place. My only other recommendation would be if you own any steelbooks, to wrap them individually in some bubble wrap or shipping paper. You'd be surprised how easily the can get dented inside of a box that is being shuffled around during a move. Also, I would add some cardboard flat on top and beneath the blu-rays/dvds. In case they get stacked at any point, this cardboard will help disperse weight across from end to end instead of the box putting a lot of pressure on the centre area.

There is no concern in storing them that long. I had to store all of my collection for 5 months during a restoration on our basement suite. I just loaded them all into about 7 or 8 of those large tupperware type storage bins (I forget their size). They each held about 50 or 60 titles each. They were just heavy enough to require effort while ensuring to bend my knees when lifting from the floor.
Thanks given by:
Al_The_Strange (01-25-2017)
Old 01-24-2017, 12:37 PM   #3

Feb 2014
Behind You...

We just recently had to do this in September of last year. I did pretty much the same thing. Picked up 10 of the free large postage boxes from my local post office and I think just 1 of the 50 page sketchbooks that are oversized from dollar tree And lined my boxes with the crumpled sheets from that. All in all, I had no visual damage, and they were moved twice. The only advice I can give is to make sure YOU are the only one to move the boxes
Thanks given by:
DarkEco910 (01-25-2017), Jakdonark (01-24-2017)
Old 01-24-2017, 01:48 PM   #4
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2012

Just out of curiosity, are you moving because you want to or did your landlord hint that he wasn't keen on renewing your lease? I ask because I'm in a similar situation and may have to go through the nightmare of moving again. Anyway, do you have a dollar store near you? They sell these large multipurpose bags that can hold dozens of DVDs or Blu-rays - that's what I used to move most of my large collection. They're pretty strong and very roomy. For steelbooks and other sensitive items stock up on packing peanuts, bubble wrap and boxes. I can get this stuff for free from my job's trash so if you can do the same you'll save some money. Good luck!
Old 01-24-2017, 01:59 PM   #5
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2008
Berlin, Germany

Yes, cardboard boxes, where's the problem ? Just don't store them anywhere hot or damp, but that's just common sense.

I've just moved all my blongings, including my 850 BDs from London to Berlin where I currently have everything in self storage for three months till I've completed on the purchase of my property there.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:12 PM   #6
Power Member

Feb 2013
Edmonton, AB

These are all good tips, should be made as a sticky somewhere?

I've moved 6 times in the last 10 years, and hopefully now were settled for a bit, but each time I've learned something.

As was said above, if you can try to move your own stuff. You know what's in there, you know how to handle it, if anything is damaged you can hold yourself accountable. During one of my moves my computer case got dented and the side panel was stuck. I really had to pry it to get it straight again. I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who moved it, and it was on the back seat of my car, but who knows. And it has a problem booting most times I think from a motherboard issue, but after almost 6 years I still haven't got it figured out!

Get some Saran Wrap. If you have open Steelbooks, digibooks, or other collector cases, wrap them individually before bubble wrapping. Even movement from a loose J-card can scuff the surface. It doesn't have to be tight, just secure.

Try to keep similar packaging together. Not sure how your collection is arranged, but you can always resort it later. Regular cases will fit together nicer and make for a more balanced load. CDs are the worst because they are compact and heavy and have brittle cases. Blus are much nicer to work with.

Not sure how many lasers and records you have, but depending on how far they are going and how secure they are you might consider taking them out of the sleeve, at least the lasers. Even if the package is secure, if the disc moves back and forth it can push out the spine. I had a disc shipped that was secure in bubble wrap and when it got to me the disc ripped through a section of the spine.

Are they being stored? If so where and for how long? I had a good chunk of my collection in a self storage unit that wasn't 100% sealed, some snow would get in under the door when it was very windy, and I don't know if it was from that or general moisture but some of my case inserts got a little wrinkled. I know my collection pretty well and they weren't like that when they went in.

One last thing, if you haven't already and aren't attached to every scrap of paper toss the inserts if they are just ads or "you may have to upgrade your player". Keep info sheets or booklets, and digital copy sheets, but with 500 blus you'd be surprised how much extra weight that can add up to.

If I think of more I'll add it.

Good luck with the move!
Old 01-24-2017, 02:40 PM   #7
Banned

Sep 2010
France

I'm moving out in a few weeks and might flag me this topic somewhere. It might get useful to me too, especially since I have around 2 000 BDs to move.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:30 PM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastCreatureTrapper View Post
My dvd/blu-ray collection is not the largest, probably around 500 titles. Many titles I'm going to throw up on eBay in lots to move what I don't need.
Depending on how much time you have, it might be worth putting the list up in the deal thread at least here, maybe even a few other places, for a week or two. Lots on ebay should be the fallback, but you wouldn't have to deal with listing fees, and people might pay more if they're picking their own lots.

Good luck!
Old 01-25-2017, 04:42 AM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petra_Kalbrain View Post
Sounds like you already have a good plan in place. My only other recommendation would be if you own any steelbooks, to wrap them individually in some bubble wrap or shipping paper. You'd be surprised how easily the can get dented inside of a box that is being shuffled around during a move. Also, I would add some cardboard flat on top and beneath the blu-rays/dvds. In case they get stacked at any point, this cardboard will help disperse weight across from end to end instead of the box putting a lot of pressure on the centre area.

There is no concern in storing them that long. I had to store all of my collection for 5 months during a restoration on our basement suite. I just loaded them all into about 7 or 8 of those large tupperware type storage bins (I forget their size). They each held about 50 or 60 titles each. They were just heavy enough to require effort while ensuring to bend my knees when lifting from the floor.
Good points which I will use. Steelbooks will be wrapped. I'm also deciding to go with paper as a lining material. I was going to use plastic trash bags, but I could see them holding in moisture if the boxes found themselves in a bad storage situation. Not likely, but you never know.

I might still do the tupperware thing, but all I can picture is the tupperware bins becoming something else I have to now make room for at the new place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addi-blu-ction View Post
We just recently had to do this in September of last year. I did pretty much the same thing. Picked up 10 of the free large postage boxes from my local post office and I think just 1 of the 50 page sketchbooks that are oversized from dollar tree And lined my boxes with the crumpled sheets from that. All in all, I had no visual damage, and they were moved twice. The only advice I can give is to make sure YOU are the only one to move the boxes
That's a great idea with the sketch pad paper! I was going to use plastic trash bags, but sketch pad paper seems cheaper, just as good, and not likely to trap moisture, in the worst-case scenario of a humid storage unit.

I will be the only one touching the boxes, for sure! More on that in a bit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cine74 View Post
Just out of curiosity, are you moving because you want to or did your landlord hint that he wasn't keen on renewing your lease?
In short, I want to. I love it here, but I want a change, as well. So, if I can swing said move, I want to be ready for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakdonark View Post
These are all good tips, should be made as a sticky somewhere?

I've moved 6 times in the last 10 years, and hopefully now were settled for a bit, but each time I've learned something.

As was said above, if you can try to move your own stuff. You know what's in there, you know how to handle it, if anything is damaged you can hold yourself accountable.

Not sure how many lasers and records you have, but depending on how far they are going and how secure they are you might consider taking them out of the sleeve, at least the lasers. Even if the package is secure, if the disc moves back and forth it can push out the spine. I had a disc shipped that was secure in bubble wrap and when it got to me the disc ripped through a section of the spine.

Are they being stored? If so where and for how long? I had a good chunk of my collection in a self storage unit that wasn't 100% sealed, some snow would get in under the door when it was very windy, and I don't know if it was from that or general moisture but some of my case inserts got a little wrinkled. I know my collection pretty well and they weren't like that when they went in.
Paired with similar sentiments, like Addi-blu-ction's above, I will be babying my collection through the move. Even if I find a job a state away, it's worth it to me to do a couple of trips in my own car with my most prized possessions, knowing that they are snug and secure, and that the driver is delivering them during easy travel times and safe driving trips. I already drive like my twilight years, as is.

Yeah, there will be a U-Haul truck with the bed frame, couch, etc etc, but my collection will be packed by myself into my car for my drive. So, in your great example of the record spines, I will make sure the (roughly 300) records and (roughly 75) laserdiscs are packed tight, with no give in their respective boxes. Then I will make sure the boxes are packed in such a way to minimize shifting.

If I stay, or if I go, I can't imagine the dvds and such being boxed up for more that than five months, and most of that time waiting here in my modern, air-conditioned apartment. However, you never know, so I will keep the storage unit issues in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguamguy View Post
Depending on how much time you have, it might be worth putting the list up in the deal thread at least here, maybe even a few other places, for a week or two. Lots on ebay should be the fallback, but you wouldn't have to deal with listing fees, and people might pay more if they're picking their own lots.

Good luck!
I'll keep that in mind. I'm starting to list some now on eBay, and we will see if I have the energy to do the mass-sell-off I have pictured in my head. I would rather just sell the items now, while they are being inventoried and such, and eliminate them from a potential move. I hope I can hit both birds with one stone.

Guys, thanks for all the input! Seriously, I'm taking all suggestions in (even if I hadn't responded to them here), and I'll let you know how it goes!
Old 01-25-2017, 05:15 AM   #10
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

True, those plastic storage bins can prove a bit annoying for storing in the future. However, if you can find the right ones that aren't too big, they stack very neatly inside one another. Also, if you don't have much storage space they can come in handy! I've even considered using the empty bins stacked inside one another, split into 2 small towers with a piece of wood on top, and covered by a table cloth as a makeshift table/counter in one area of our apartment. Put some framed photos and candles, or some kitchen appliances, on top and it becomes useful while providing hidden storage at the same time.

Gotta get creative sometimes!
Old 01-25-2017, 05:31 AM   #11
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2009
-
-
-

Just pack all of your movies in corrugated boxes, and you'll be good to go. I guarantee you, they won't get damaged! Be sure to pack them vertically because, packing DVDs and Blu-ray horizontally flat may be subjected to crushing, and potentially crack the discs from the weight. DVDs and Blu-rays are always packed and shipped vertically in boxes from the manufacturer due to this reason.

Last edited by slimdude; 01-25-2017 at 06:00 AM.
Old 01-25-2017, 05:38 AM   #12
Power Member

Feb 2013
Southeastern Ohio

I've moved my very large collection (around 5,000 titles) 3 times in the past 5 years and I just get a bunch of cardboard boxes pack everything up and I've been fine, no damage to anything. I do treat steelbooks, boxsets, etc. with extra care and wrap them in newspaper or bubble wrap, just to keep them from scruff/scratching, etc.

All I know is that my collection has taken 30-40 boxes the past couple moves, boxes were assorted sizes due to getting them from my workplace, I just saved anything I could get there, and it is a huge undertaking packing and unpacking just the movie collection, not to mention the rest of your belongings.

So good luck, and hopefully you can stay put for a while, I know I'm hoping to.
Old 01-25-2017, 05:52 AM   #13
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2007

These corrugated cases are great for DVDs, but unfortunately they've never carried a Blu-ray version.

https://www.uline.com/BL_1465/Bulk-DVD-Shippers
Old 01-25-2017, 05:52 AM   #14
Blu-ray Count

Nov 2008
San Jose, Ca USAwesome!

Most of my collection is in boxes right now unfortunately. I'm a freak about keeping stuff pristine so it pains me that I wasn't there to make sure everything got packed right. I'd definitely do like slimdude suggested and pack them vertically as opposed to stacking them on top of each other. Also, I don't know if you care about slipcases, but I would make sure you got rid of any remaining residue if there is any. When I had my collection at home, I could lay a gunky case a bit differently so it doesn't get stuck to another slip. Unfortunately my mom just packed everything up and I ended up getting some tears when trying to separate Blu Rays. Sure this isn't as bad as broken discs but it still sucks.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:10 AM   #15

Dec 2009
With the Ale and Quail Club on a train to Palm Beach

I save those bubble mailers when I get a Blu-ray order from Amazon. They make great padding when packing your blu-rays in boxes or plastic tubs. You can put them back in the mailers and then line them up in a box I suppose, but when I have moved my collection I used the mailers to line the bottom, sides and top of a box, then placed my blu-rays inside the box with spines up in two layers on top of each other, with mailers in between the layers.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:14 AM   #16
Power Member

Dec 2015

The small size boxes from Lowes are good... they're 12x16.

4 stacks of DVDs fit comfortably. Same with Blus, though there's a little more room since the cases are smaller. Maybe stuff some books or something soft in the side to prevent things from rattling around.

And, they have handles so they're easier to lug around.

Going up a size, the boxes start to get a bit heavy, which is why I stuck with the small ones.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:00 AM   #17

Nov 2016
Times Square, NYC (circa 1983)

When I moved a couple of years ago, I packed up my entire 1500 title collection using file boxes, also known as Bankers or Bekins boxes. They're sturdy as hell, come with a secure lid, and they have hand-holds!

If you use the readily available coupons from Staples, you can get them in 10-packs fairly cheap.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:34 AM   #18
Blu-ray Count

Jan 2008
-
-

My wife is a dental nurse. The last time we moved, she got me a load of boxes that surgical gloves were shipped in. Very sturdy cardboard and more of a rectangular shape, as opposed to a standard square box.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:30 PM   #19
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

I moved a little over a year ago and just put them in normal moving boxes but with bubble-wrap around the edges. Nothing was damaged. I am far from super anal about my packaging condition though.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:41 PM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
NYC

I moved recently and used Scott boxes and banana boxes. The Banana boxes were the best cause they don't get too heavy and have grips for your hands.

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America