Best 4K Blu-ray Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Resident Evil: The Complete Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$69.99
2 hrs ago
Harry Potter: Anniversary 8-Film Collector's Edition 4K (Blu-ray)
$109.99
 
Middle Earth 31-Disc Ultimate Collector’s Edition 4K (Blu-ray)
$169.99
 
The Alfred Hitchcock Classics Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$32.99
 
Venom: Let There Be Carnage 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.96
 
The Thing 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
The Karate Kid Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$49.99
 
The Toolbox Murders 4K (Blu-ray)
$36.49
 
Van Helsing 4K (Blu-ray)
$11.99
 
Krampus 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Free Guy 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
 
The Mummy Ultimate Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 01-24-2017, 07:58 PM   #1
triffid triffid is offline
Active Member
 
triffid's Avatar
 
Dec 2013
Prague, the heart of Europe
Default The first UHD Blu-ray drive

It is finally here:

http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1040541.html



However the hardware requirements are pretty high...
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
GasmaskAvenger (01-27-2017), imhh1 (01-24-2017), JustAnEpicPerson (01-25-2017), mrbrat_Boy (05-07-2017), Omegaice (10-30-2017), OutOfBoose (06-20-2017), pEgLeG (11-15-2017), Pieter V (01-24-2017), Robert Zohn (01-25-2017)
Old 01-24-2017, 09:47 PM   #2
GunZenBomZ GunZenBomZ is offline
Senior Member
 
GunZenBomZ's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
Warwickshire, UK
1
156
Default

Roll on the,...must be connected to a specific server for verification. Continual checking every hour glitch & you cannot store extra data info freely provided by the film producer.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 10:18 PM   #3
Al_The_Strange Al_The_Strange is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
Al_The_Strange's Avatar
 
Apr 2009
Out there...past them trees...
126
532
3960
751
478
132
32
Default

Just in time for me to consider a new tower (or just rebuild my current one).
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 10:50 PM   #4
HD Goofnut HD Goofnut is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
HD Goofnut's Avatar
 
May 2010
98
444
1999
98
636
860
599
133
38
Default

Eh, I am waiting for an external UHD drive. I'm also waiting for PowerDVD to support UHD.

Speaking of drives, are there any 4K monitors that have HDR yet?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 11:51 PM   #5
Pieter V Pieter V is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
Pieter V's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
The Netherlands
1
14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
Eh, I am waiting for an external UHD drive. I'm also waiting for PowerDVD to support UHD.

Speaking of drives, are there any 4K monitors that have HDR yet?
PowerDVD will support UHD. It also again mentioned in the article.

On the monitors:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/31544...-ces-2017.html
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
HD Goofnut (01-25-2017), Ray_Rogers (01-14-2018)
Old 01-25-2017, 01:21 AM   #6
triffid triffid is offline
Active Member
 
triffid's Avatar
 
Dec 2013
Prague, the heart of Europe
Default

PowerDVD 17 in April.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
HD Goofnut (01-25-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 12:02 PM   #7
d514 d514 is offline
Expert Member
 
May 2010
Germany
8
Default

It will be interesting if the current LG drives which can read UHD Blu-rays will be capable of playing the discs with PowerDVD.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 02:08 PM   #8
Patsfan123 Patsfan123 is offline
Power Member
 
Oct 2007
Boston, MA
947
5128
22
3
485
1057
260
6
Default

As long as you have a HDCP 2.2 and HEVC hardware decoding GPU, you are good, right? No need for Kaby Lake unless you use integrated graphics?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 02:49 PM   #9
GunZenBomZ GunZenBomZ is offline
Senior Member
 
GunZenBomZ's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
Warwickshire, UK
1
156
Default

There are now 8k monitors available for the more inclined of you. Although you will need a good CPU'
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 03:12 PM   #10
bruceames bruceames is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
bruceames's Avatar
 
Nov 2012
Novato, CA
15
1263
2
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
Eh, I am waiting for an external UHD drive. I'm also waiting for PowerDVD to support UHD.

Speaking of drives, are there any 4K monitors that have HDR yet?
You could easily convert it to an external drive with an enclosure. But the drive would be a lot more useful if not only it had PowerDVD, but an HDR monitor with HDCP 2.2. I wonder if one could take screenshots. Probably not without a crack...
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 03:21 PM   #11
MisterXDTV MisterXDTV is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Jul 2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by d514 View Post
It will be interesting if the current LG drives which can read UHD Blu-rays will be capable of playing the discs with PowerDVD.
LG and Pioneer are the only brands that have BD-ROM 4.0 License, I think they will work just fine....

The problem is that I don't have a Kaby Lake CPU but i do have NVIDIA Pascal card
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 04:59 PM   #12
Wendell R. Breland Wendell R. Breland is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Wendell R. Breland's Avatar
 
Sep 2006
North Carolina
87
681
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan123 View Post
No need for Kaby Lake unless you use integrated graphics?
Kaby Lake CPU needed for DRM if I understand the articles that I have read. Most likely will need Z270 series motherboards as well.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 05:18 PM   #13
JustAnEpicPerson JustAnEpicPerson is offline
Expert Member
 
JustAnEpicPerson's Avatar
 
May 2013
Austin, TX
7
105
16
84
Default

At least we're getting one. Hopefully there is some monitors that exist for hdr though, as that's a real selling point. Maybe even a 21:9 monitor for the full experience.

I don't mind upgrading to Kaby Lake, as I was actually planning on doing so this summer.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 05:58 PM   #14
thejaguar thejaguar is offline
Junior Member
 
Aug 2016
3
Default

I wonder how long it will be before the encryption is cracked. I can't wait to rip my UHD's and store them on my NAS.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 06:24 PM   #15
triffid triffid is offline
Active Member
 
triffid's Avatar
 
Dec 2013
Prague, the heart of Europe
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnEpicPerson View Post
I don't mind upgrading to Kaby Lake, as I was actually planning on doing so this summer.
I am going to upgrade to AMD Ryzen as soon as it comes out. That is why this Intel SGX thing worries me a lot.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 06:40 PM   #16
bruceames bruceames is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
bruceames's Avatar
 
Nov 2012
Novato, CA
15
1263
2
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejaguar View Post
I wonder how long it will be before the encryption is cracked. I can't wait to rip my UHD's and store them on my NAS.
The is an upside to not having it cracked. Such as studio support and their enthusiasm in general about releasing on UHD BD. Also a cracked format would make it more likely that the studios will implement the option to have certain discs (the ones they'd be most worried about being copied) require internet authentication, which nobody wants.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
FilmFreakosaurus (02-02-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 07:37 PM   #17
thejaguar thejaguar is offline
Junior Member
 
Aug 2016
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
The is an upside to not having it cracked. Such as studio support and their enthusiasm in general about releasing on UHD BD. Also a cracked format would make it more likely that the studios will implement the option to have certain discs (the ones they'd be most worried about being copied) require internet authentication, which nobody wants.
The same argument could have been made for regular Blurays, but the studios didn't stop supporting and producing/selling record numbers of Blurays just because the system was cracked. The current UHD system requires constant internet based authentication as it is. There are a few exceptions for standalone players though.

As long as there are UHD players that can play the bits, the authentication requirement can always be circumvented.

My end goal is quite simple - I own 20 or so UHD discs today that I can't backup, which is extremely annoying. Also, I have a NAS where I store all my media. Rather than having to change UHD discs every time I want to watch a movie, I would prefer to just play them from my storage.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 07:56 PM   #18
bruceames bruceames is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
bruceames's Avatar
 
Nov 2012
Novato, CA
15
1263
2
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejaguar View Post
The same argument could have been made for regular Blurays, but the studios didn't stop supporting and producing/selling record numbers of Blurays just because the system was cracked. The current UHD system requires constant internet based authentication as it is. There are a few exceptions for standalone players though.

As long as there are UHD players that can play the bits, the authentication requirement can always be circumvented.

My end goal is quite simple - I own 20 or so UHD discs today that I can't backup, which is extremely annoying. Also, I have a NAS where I store all my media. Rather than having to change UHD discs every time I want to watch a movie, I would prefer to just play them from my storage.
Not really. We don't know how many sales were lost due to illegal copying.

The studios are very lukewarm about this format to begin with, they don't have to support it and having a cracked format would give them much less incentive to continue to do so.

Anyway it's probably best not to continue this discussion, especially from your vantage point, due to forum rules.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 08:48 PM   #19
Wendell R. Breland Wendell R. Breland is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Wendell R. Breland's Avatar
 
Sep 2006
North Carolina
87
681
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejaguar View Post
The same argument could have been made for regular Blurays
Not true as there was no online authentication process for BD. I would wager that IF someone did find a way to rip UHD BD's then the studios will start using online authentication . Last I heard the Fox folks had no interest in UHD BD, lets hope it stays that way .
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:02 PM   #20
bruceames bruceames is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
bruceames's Avatar
 
Nov 2012
Novato, CA
15
1263
2
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
Not true as there was no online authentication process for BD. I would wager that IF someone did find a way to rip UHD BD's then the studios will start using online authentication . Last I heard the Fox folks had no interest in UHD BD, lets hope it stays that way .
I would wager that too, and having online authentication as an option, if/when UHD BD gets cracked, was probably a prerequisite on getting them on board in the first place.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 4K Ultra HD > 4K Ultra HD Players, Hardware and News


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:44 AM.