Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Back to the Future: The Ultimate Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.99

Bugs Bunny 80th Anniversary Collection (Blu-ray)
$66.99
2 hrs ago
INXS: Live Baby Live 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.28
21 hrs ago
300 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Pale Door (Blu-ray)
$14.59
11 hrs ago
Digimon Adventure: Last Evolution Kizuna (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Film Noir: The Dark Side of Cinema IV (Blu-ray)
$33.49
14 hrs ago
Back to the Future Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$69.98

Rick and Morty: Season 4 (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Mandy (Blu-ray)
$15.99

Watchmen: An HBO Limited Series (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The American West: Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$16.59
1 hr ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists

Old 07-18-2017, 05:43 AM   #1
Power Member

Nov 2009
St. Louis, MO.
Default Why is Roman Holiday ( 1953) still not on Blu-Ray?

This is not meant as a rant. I just honestly don't understand HOW it can't be on Blu-Ray after 11 years?

It's a classic. Hands down. Audrey Hepburn's first major role. Hepburn winning best actress for the Oscars that year. Stars Gregory Peck. Was nominated for best movie st the Oscars that year. Won several other Oscars.

With all this being said, why isn't it on Blu still? I'm looking for serious answers. Is someone holding the rights up?

If there's any justice in the Blu world, it will get a release ( if not a Criterion release!) soon!
Thanks given by:
Executive Lounge (09-01-2019)
Old 07-18-2017, 06:04 AM   #2
Power Member

Dec 2015

Paramount sucks.

Next question?
Thanks given by:
DudeWithTheFace (05-17-2020), glennstl (07-19-2017)
Old 07-18-2017, 06:23 AM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

This is completely a guess, but it's as logical as anything.

The film originally did not credit Dalton Trumbo at all, because he was blacklisted. It credited his friend Ian McLellan Hunter, who agreed to front for Trumbo.

Trumbo's "story by" credit was legally restored in 1991, but the actual film opening credits left him off until the 2002 DVD, when that title card was digitally altered. Watch this video from 5:00-5:32 for an explanation:

The credit was further revised in 2011, when Trumbo's screenplay credit was restored too:

https://www.wgfoundation.org/summer-...roman-holiday/

The WGA article above shows there's a new master with the current credit, so I don't think it's a technical issue holding up a release at this point. However I wouldn't be surprised if the legal issues surrounding the writing credits have played a part in holding this film back from BD.

Last edited by James Luckard; 07-18-2017 at 06:28 AM.
Thanks given by:
glennstl (07-19-2017)
Old 07-18-2017, 07:24 AM   #4
Power Member

Dec 2015

Honestly, I think you're trying to attribute a deeper meaning to simple incompetence.

Ordinary People, a Best Picture Oscar winner itself, doesn't have any of these issues. Pretty in Pink doesn't have any of these issues. The Shootist doesn't have any of these issues. And they're all MIA as well simply because Paramount just didn't release them and won't license them out.

So, if they won't do anything with other major movies, why should Roman Holiday be held up because of something other than simple stupidity?
Thanks given by:
baheidstu (07-18-2017), glennstl (07-19-2017), Jcratigan (03-13-2018), kuzronk (05-24-2020), Mockingbird (06-03-2020), sonicyogurt (12-02-2018)
Old 07-18-2017, 07:51 AM   #5
Banned

Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricPeterTork View Post
Honestly, I think you're trying to attribute a deeper meaning to simple incompetence.

Ordinary People, a Best Picture Oscar winner itself, doesn't have any of these issues. Pretty in Pink doesn't have any of these issues. The Shootist doesn't have any of these issues. And they're all MIA as well simply because Paramount just didn't release them and won't license them out.

So, if they won't do anything with other major movies, why should Roman Holiday be held up because of something other than simple stupidity?
This is it exactly. Paramount have not released any new to blu-ray catalogue titles in years. They have imposed limitations on the types of titles that Kino and Olive can release on blu-ray. They have licenced a handful of titles to Criterion but the last one I can remember was Downhill Racer and even if my memory is faulty, there's still barely any other examples. To put it simply, Paramount just doesn't seem to care about getting any more of their classic titles on blu-ray.
Thanks given by:
glennstl (07-19-2017), Mockingbird (06-03-2020)
Old 07-18-2017, 07:56 AM   #6

Feb 2012
South Australia

it on blu-ray overseas
Old 07-18-2017, 07:59 AM   #7
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2014
Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwwf View Post
it on blu-ray overseas
Where? A bootleg perhaps, but there's no listing on this site for one.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:01 AM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

It's true, it could be due to simple laziness. However Paramount released all their other Audrey Hepburn titles on BD:

Sabrina
Funny Face
War and Peace
Breakfast at Tiffany's
My Fair Lady (twice)
except, for some reason the extremely obscure (unjustly obscure, in my mind) Paris When It Sizzles.

The fact that they released all the others, including the restored My Fair Lady just recently, suggests it's possible they might have been forced for some contractual/legal reason to hold back the multi-Oscar-winning jewel of the group.
Thanks given by:
glennstl (07-19-2017)
Old 07-18-2017, 08:05 AM   #9
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
it on blu-ray overseas
I don't know of any releases anywhere in the world, even bootlegs.

There's an iTunes HD version, but the image quality reviews are dreadful:

http://notonbluray.com/blog/roman-ho...itunes-review/
Old 07-18-2017, 08:09 AM   #10

Feb 2012
South Australia

uk
Old 07-18-2017, 09:53 AM   #11
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2008
Berlin, Germany

Quote:
uk
Nope
Old 07-18-2017, 10:07 AM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2009
En flugskit i kosmos
-
-
-

Should have gone in the Wishlist section...

There is a BD of it, just that it is a Spanish bootleg edition and should be avoided.
Thanks given by:
James Luckard (07-18-2017)
Old 07-18-2017, 11:18 AM   #13
Blu-ray Champion

Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Luckard View Post
This is completely a guess, but it's as logical as anything.

The film originally did not credit Dalton Trumbo at all, because he was blacklisted. It credited his friend Ian McLellan Hunter, who agreed to front for Trumbo.

Trumbo's "story by" credit was legally restored in 1991, but the actual film opening credits left him off until the 2002 DVD, when that title card was digitally altered. Watch this video from 5:00-5:32 for an explanation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBT7...youtu.be&t=300

The credit was further revised in 2011, when Trumbo's screenplay credit was restored too:

https://www.wgfoundation.org/summer-...roman-holiday/

The WGA article above shows there's a new master with the current credit, so I don't think it's a technical issue holding up a release at this point. However I wouldn't be surprised if the legal issues surrounding the writing credits have played a part in holding this film back from BD.
That's not why its not on Blu-ray yet. There is an HD version derived from the new restoration that has the restored credit available on digital and broadcast TV.

Either Paramount is waiting for the right time to release it themselves or its going to come from Criterion.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:00 PM   #14

Jan 2012
Ontario, Canada

Paramount recently completed 4K restorations of "A Place in the Sun" (1951) and "Romeo and Juliet" (1968). I wish they'd release those themselves, or license them to someone who will.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:07 PM   #15
Power Member

Dec 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Luckard View Post
It's true, it could be due to simple laziness. However Paramount released all their other Audrey Hepburn titles on BD:

Sabrina
Funny Face
War and Peace
Breakfast at Tiffany's
My Fair Lady (twice)
except, for some reason the extremely obscure (unjustly obscure, in my mind) Paris When It Sizzles.

The fact that they released all the others, including the restored My Fair Lady just recently, suggests it's possible they might have been forced for some contractual/legal reason to hold back the multi-Oscar-winning jewel of the group.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but My Fair Lady is actually CBS's baby, not the Paramount side, which would explain why it's been released and restored more than once.

But otherwise, you're right, most of the rest of Their Hepburn movies have been released, minus Paris When It Sizzles. Sabrina actually only escaped thanks to Warner Brothers, though.

So it's a mystery as to what the Roman Holiday holdup is, especially since there's an HD version out there that has seen streaming, TV, and even theatrical release in the last two years.

With all those releases, that's why I'm more likely to chalk it up to Paramount stupidity than any legal issue, since the film is available on literally every HD platform but disc based home video.
Thanks given by:
George Hargensen (10-10-2018)
Old 07-18-2017, 05:52 PM   #16
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricPeterTork View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but My Fair Lady is actually CBS's baby, not the Paramount side, which would explain why it's been released and restored more than once.
True, MFL belongs to CBS, but they've released it through Paramount for a while now. But you're right, it's not actually a Paramount-controlled title.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:31 AM   #17

Feb 2012
South Australia

Spanish edition is not a bootleg
Old 07-19-2017, 03:39 AM   #18
Expert Member

Feb 2010
Atlanta

To be fair this is a pretty obscure film. Audrey Hepburn was just dipping her toes in the dramatic waters at this point before going on to more well known roles.

[Show spoiler].... heh heh, NOT. You gotta laugh in order not to cry.

No idea why this iconic film with its amazing performances isn't on BD yet. It borders on criminally negligent, really.
Thanks given by:
garylapointe (08-02-2019), glennstl (07-19-2017), rollinwith26s (03-02-2018), traths (08-25-2018)
Old 07-19-2017, 06:26 AM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantajoseph View Post
To be fair this is a pretty obscure film. Audrey Hepburn was just dipping her toes in the dramatic waters at this point before going on to more well known roles.

[Show spoiler].... heh heh, NOT. You gotta laugh in order not to cry.

No idea why this iconic film with its amazing performances isn't on BD yet. It borders on criminally negligent, really.
Thanks given by:
atlantajoseph (07-20-2017), dcforsyth (07-20-2017), rollinwith26s (03-02-2018)
Old 07-19-2017, 06:50 AM   #20
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2014
Los Angeles

Quote:
Spanish edition is not a bootleg
You mean this one that's a BD-R and not even by a legitimate company?

https://www.amazon.es/Vacaciones-Rom...=roman+holiday
Thanks given by:
kuzronk (07-09-2019), TheOneWithThePrize (07-19-2017)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists

Tags
roman holiday