Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Star Trek Beyond 4K (Blu-ray)
£7.97

Pacific Rim: Uprising 3D (Blu-ray)
£9.99

Age of Consent (Blu-ray)
£14.99

Doctor Who: Twice Upon A Time (Blu-ray)
£7.79

The Wrong Box (Blu-ray)
£14.99

First Man (Blu-ray)
£14.99

2001: A Space Odyssey 4K (Blu-ray)
£28.99

Support Your Local Sheriff (Blu-ray)
£8.99

Rats: Night of Terror (Blu-ray)
£9.99

Georgy Girl (Blu-ray)
£14.99

First Man 4K (Blu-ray)
£24.99

When a Stranger Calls (Blu-ray)
£17.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Old 08-16-2017, 09:58 PM   #1
Special Member

Oct 2013
UK
United Kingdom Sorcerer (1977)

Purchase links

Amazon 19.99 | Zavvi 24.99 | HMV 14.99

Release date: November 6th 2017

Looks like William Friedkin's Sorcerer will be released in the UK as it has just been passed by the BBFC for cinema release. Interestingly by EOne Entertainment instead of Warner Bros.

Reversible sleeve
[Show spoiler]

(special thanks to rapta for keeping thread up to date)

Original post

[Show spoiler]http://bbfc.co.uk/releases/sorcerer-film

I hope this means a future Blu-ray release as this will be the first time it's been released on any physical media format in the UK.

I know it hasn't officially been announced but I wasn't quite sure where else to post this.

Last edited by UpsetSmiley; 10-12-2017 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Update
Thanks given by:
CrockettandTubbs (08-17-2017), huntauk (08-17-2017), rapta (08-16-2017), Sky_Captain (08-16-2017), Witchfinger Generous (08-16-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 10:05 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsetSmiley View Post
Looks like William Friedkin's Sorcerer will be released in the UK as it has just been passed by the BBFC for cinema release. Interestingly by EOne Entertainment instead of Warner Bros.

http://bbfc.co.uk/releases/sorcerer-film

I hope this means a future Blu-ray release as this will be the first time it's been released on any physical media format in the UK.

I know it hasn't officially been announced but I wasn't quite sure where else to post this.
It's probably too much to hope for both cuts of the film. Friedkin hates it but the shorter European version is pretty interesting and framing the backstories as flashbacks works much better than lumping them all one after the other at the front of the picture as in the US version.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:19 PM   #3
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2013
Hants, UK

Be nice if someone in the UK did release a Blu-ray - this was one of the few titles I had considered importing at some point if it never made it to the UK. Great film, and no doubt will tie in with the upcoming 4K-restored The Wages of Fear coming via BFI in October.

Have eOne released older titles on Blu-ray before? Could just be that Paramount or Warner Bros (whoever has the UK rights; I thought it was Paramount myself) reissue the same WB disc over here, and eOne are just handling things theatrically. Who knows, maybe we'll even see it as part of the HMV Premium Collection.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:55 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2010
Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapta View Post
Be nice if someone in the UK did release a Blu-ray - this was one of the few titles I had considered importing at some point if it never made it to the UK. Great film, and no doubt will tie in with the upcoming 4K-restored The Wages of Fear coming via BFI in October.

Have eOne released older titles on Blu-ray before? Could just be that Paramount or Warner Bros (whoever has the UK rights; I thought it was Paramount myself) reissue the same WB disc over here, and eOne are just handling things theatrically. Who knows, maybe we'll even see it as part of the HMV Premium Collection.
A Premium Collection release would be kinda cool, as it would probably include the US Digibook content as a booklet, like King Kong did. But then again, that's just a segment from one of Friedkin's books I believe, so I'd possibly be better just buying that instead, as I grabbed the US disc a few years ago. Of course, if they included some new extras, like the French release had, then even better. But I expect if it does get a UK release, it'll just be a port of the US disc, like the majority of recent catalogue titles have been.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:20 AM   #5

Nov 2016

I have the US disc. Will keep an eye on this.
Thanks given by:
beadelf (08-17-2017)
Old 08-17-2017, 06:22 AM   #6
Power Member

Aug 2010

Wow! Amazing news. One of my favourites. Glad to see it come to the UK after not dropping by on DVD.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:53 AM   #7
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
India

Maybe the reason BFI's Wages of Fear got pushed back so often is they're bundling it with Sorcerer?
Old 08-17-2017, 09:39 AM   #8

Aug 2013

Quote:
There were originally rumblings a couple of years ago that eOne were going to release a Sorcerer Blu-Ray in late-2015 that never came to anything, and it was said he insisted on them doing it specifically because he was very happy working with them on Killer Joe.

As someone who recently caved in after waiting ages for a UK release and bought both the US and French editions, you're welcome!
Thanks given by:
rapta (08-17-2017)
Old 08-17-2017, 11:12 AM   #9

Mar 2008
Leek, Staffordshire

Quote:

http://bbfc.co.uk/releases/sorcerer-film

Probably best to wait to post until it has been confirmed by a distributor
Old 08-17-2017, 11:32 AM   #10
Special Member

Oct 2013
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNickUK View Post
Probably best to wait to post until it has been confirmed by a distributor
Yeah, my excitement got the better of me I suppose.

Where should I post about possible or rumoured upcoming Blu-ray releases?
Old 08-17-2017, 12:57 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2010
UK

Quote:
Same here

If anything, I hope we get the booklet that was in the US version.

I've never seen it actually, but I love this pic:

[Show spoiler]

That truck belongs in Maximum Overdrive
Old 08-18-2017, 07:42 PM   #12
Special Member

Oct 2013
UK

Today the BBFC classified Sorcerer for video.
http://bbfc.co.uk/releases/sorcerer-video
So it's happening that's for sure, hopefully we're getting this on Blu-ray and not just DVD.
Thanks given by:
rapta (08-18-2017)
Old 08-18-2017, 07:50 PM   #13
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2013
Hants, UK

Quote:
Today the BBFC classified Sorcerer for video.
http://bbfc.co.uk/releases/sorcerer-video
So it's happening that's for sure, hopefully we're getting this on Blu-ray and not just DVD.
Excellent! Notice it also says "Other languages: Spanish", and the US disc has...you guessed it, English and Spanish audio options. I'm going to go ahead and assume eOne are porting the US Blu-ray release for the UK, as EvilJames had mentioned (probably at Friedkin's insistence, and no doubt further encouraged by the upcoming BFI release of The Wages of Fear...and Ben Wheatley's upcoming remake).

And people constantly tell me to go region free...I could, or I could just be patient. The UK market is very strong right now, in terms of a wide range of titles from various labels.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:53 PM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2010

Well you don't have to go region free, the US disc was region free.
Thanks given by:
MechaGodzilla (08-18-2017), rapta (08-18-2017)
Old 08-18-2017, 07:53 PM   #15
Blu-ray Champion

Sep 2012
Sweden

Quote:
Excellent! Notice it also says "Other languages: Spanish", and the US disc has...you guessed it, English and Spanish audio options. I'm going to go ahead and assume eOne are porting the US Blu-ray release for the UK, as EvilJames had mentioned (probably at Friedkin's insistence, and no doubt further encouraged by the upcoming BFI release of The Wages of Fear...and Ben Wheatley's upcoming remake).

And people constantly tell me to go region free...I could, or I could just be patient. The UK market is very strong right now, in terms of a wide range of titles from various labels.
The US disc is region free, so you would've still been able to play it.

Still, cool that you guys are getting a domestic release of this fine film.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:56 PM   #16
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2013
Hants, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnDoor View Post
Well you don't have to go region free, the US disc was region free.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaGodzilla View Post
The US disc is region free, so you would've still been able to play it.

Still, cool that you guys are getting a domestic release of this fine film.
Sorry, forgot that little detail. Still, won't have to import it now.

Also, eOne may even add some extras or something. I doubt it, but you never know. I'm getting it either way though (one of my favourite Friedkins; possibly even prefer it to The French Connection).
Old 08-18-2017, 08:18 PM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2010
Scotland

Quote:
I'm just of the opinion that life's too short, you don't know when your time is up, so why wait, especially if its region free? This has taken 3 and a half years to be released, it's a long time and there was no guarantee it would come out at all. I just don't understand why some people are so against importing as a rule, but everyone is entitled to choose what they want to buy and where from, I'm not trying to be annoying, honestly I'm not. Just putting across my point of view.

And there will always be stuff that's region locked that'll be better than some UK releases and also exclusive titles that might never be released, so for the small cost of about 150 (which is tiny if you've spent about 10,000 buying a Blu-ray collection), you can get anything you want. For a film fan, that's heaven.

But I do agree the UK market is very strong right now, which is a good thing!
Thanks given by:
rapta (08-18-2017)
Old 08-18-2017, 08:28 PM   #18
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2013
Hants, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Jonezzz... View Post
I'm just of the opinion that life's too short, you don't know when your time is up, so why wait, especially if its region free? This has taken 3 and a half years to be released, it's a long time and there was no guarantee it would come out at all. I just don't understand why some people are so against importing as a rule, but everyone is entitled to choose what they want to buy and where from, I'm not trying to be annoying, honestly I'm not. Just putting across my point of view.

And there will always be stuff that's region locked that'll be better than some UK releases and also exclusive titles that might never be released, so for the small cost of about 150 (which is tiny if you've spent about 10,000 buying a Blu-ray collection), you can get anything you want. For a film fan, that's heaven.

But I do agree the UK market is very strong right now, which is a good thing!
My main reason for remaining region locked is that I'd no doubt be bankrupt within months - with the number of quality releases being released in the UK as-is, imagine trying to decide between import titles as well? I might go mad.

Anyway, 3 years or 3 months, we're both getting the film on Blu-ray. Sometimes it takes me 3 years to even pick up a UK-released title, so it's nothing really! I'll be very happy to return to this one in HD - hopefully eOne release it soon so I can have a double-bill of this and the Clouzot come October/November.
Thanks given by:
Indiana Jonezzz... (08-18-2017)
Old 08-18-2017, 09:13 PM   #19
Special Member

Apr 2013

Cool to see the UK get a release. The French blu-ray apparently has a bigger file size for the movie but no subtitles for the Paris bit.

The US version still rocks though and was a stellar blu-ray release after having owned the full screen version on DVD for so long. It really comes to life on this format!

I would be interested in other versions of the movie, but the idea of having the opening segments appear as flashbacks sounds lame. Would still be willing to give it a go (Hell, I sat through the US cut of Phenomena for interest sake).
Old 08-18-2017, 09:24 PM   #20

Sep 2011
USA

Would be nice to get the original audio on this one.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland