Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Ash vs Evil Dead: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
£17.99
19 hrs ago
Justice League (Blu-ray)
£7.49

Loveless (Blu-ray)
£7.49

Killer Klowns from Outer Space (Blu-ray)
£8.99

Halloween (Blu-ray)
£7.00
6 hrs ago
The Shape of Water (Blu-ray)
£9.99

Finding Your Feet (Blu-ray)
£7.49

Papillon (Blu-ray)
£7.00

Carrie (Blu-ray)
£8.99

Red Sparrow (Blu-ray)
£10.00

Prince of Darkness (Blu-ray)
£14.99

The Bird with the Crystal Plumage (Blu-ray)
£8.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Old 12-20-2017, 11:16 PM   #1

Jun 2011
United Kingdom Doctor Who Christmas Special 2017 - Twice Upon A Time

Available to preorder, to be released on the 22nd January 2018.

Doctor Who: Twice Upon A Time Blu-ray

As it wasnt included with the series 10 set I thought they might release this as a separate steelbook rather than include it with Jodie Whittakers first season but not seeing it anywhere.

Last edited by Deciazulado; 07-10-2018 at 10:28 PM.
Thanks given by:
Jack Priest (12-25-2017), Johny Rotten (01-08-2018)
Old 12-20-2017, 11:48 PM   #2

May 2010
Southampton, UK

Worth pointing out that Zoom have got this for £3 less than Amazon and Zavvi.

EDITED TO ADD: Why isn't this in the TV section?!?!
Oppo BP205BMR Player, Panasonic VT65 TV

Last edited by irascian; 12-21-2017 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:53 AM   #3

Feb 2017
Middlesborough, England

It is a bit odd that it'll be the only special - the only Nu-Who episode - not included in some kind of special set.

Still, there weren't many alternatives. Holding it back for Jodie's set wouldn't work. Delaying the Season 10 set and missing Christmas sales wouldn't work.
Old 12-21-2017, 09:13 AM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2013
UK

Matt Smith's finale wasn't in any season box set either.
Old 12-21-2017, 09:46 AM   #5

Feb 2017
Middlesborough, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddbox83 View Post
Matt Smith's finale wasn't in any season box set either.
Guess my 50th Anniversary Boxset doesn't count?

I didn't say season set. I set any kind of special set, mindful of the fact that Day and Time Of The Doctor weren't in season sets.....
Old 12-21-2017, 11:22 AM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2013
UK

I donít count that no, especially because it was so limited.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:33 AM   #7
Special Member

Feb 2012
West Yorkshire, United Kingdom

Quote:
IIRC BBC once said they plan to re-release the boxset without the limited edition packaging (so probably in a standard 4-disc amaray) somewhere down the line.

Besides, I highly doubt BBC will keep the fixed version of Day of the Doctor (playing at the correct framerate), An Adventure in Space and Time and The Five(ish) Doctors exclusive to a hard to find limited boxset forever. I wouldn't be surprised if it was re-released next year to mark the show's 55th Anniversary and to cash in on renewed interest in David Bradley portraying William Hartnell's Doctor.
My setup:

TV - Sony X900E
Blu-Ray Player: Samsung K8500
Sound system: Yamaha YSP-2500
Games console: Playstation 4 Pro
Old 12-21-2017, 12:23 PM   #8

Feb 2017
Middlesborough, England

Quote:
Given I set the parameters in my post....I don't really care.

Limited editions (and it was 6,000 not a few dozen) don't somehow make something "not count" as a real release.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:27 PM   #9
Expert Member

Oct 2014
Bristol, UK

Someone told me that this Christmas, the Doctor regenerates into a woman! A woman!!!! What will the Star Wars: The Last Jedi fans make of that for 'tampering with the expected sequence'?

Ho, ho, nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!! !!!!
Now go home and get your f***in' shine box!
Old 12-21-2017, 01:24 PM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottyaboutpotter1 View Post
IIRC BBC once said they plan to re-release the boxset without the limited edition packaging (so probably in a standard 4-disc amaray) somewhere down the line.

Besides, I highly doubt BBC will keep the fixed version of Day of the Doctor (playing at the correct framerate), An Adventure in Space and Time and The Five(ish) Doctors exclusive to a hard to find limited boxset forever. I wouldn't be surprised if it was re-released next year to mark the show's 55th Anniversary and to cash in on renewed interest in David Bradley portraying William Hartnell's Doctor.
It's been more than 3 years since that set was released though. If they were going to re-release it they would have done so by now and with a new era upon us anything from the Matt Smith years will feel like ancient history next year.
Thanks given by:
Darby1985 (12-21-2017)
Old 12-21-2017, 03:56 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Stockholm, but Sussex when back in UK
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
It's been more than 3 years since that set was released though. If they were going to re-release it they would have done so by now and with a new era upon us anything from the Matt Smith years will feel like ancient history next year.
Itís always been available as a non limited edition from Australia, and has been very cheap a few times.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:24 PM   #12

Jul 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottyaboutpotter1 View Post

I was hoping they'd release all the discs included in that set in a new SteelBook at some point - to match the Series 1, 2, 9 & 10 ones.

So we need SteelBooks for:
- Series 3
- Series 4
- The Specials
- Series 5
- Series 6
- Series 7
- 50th Anniversary
- Series 8
Old 01-09-2018, 09:46 AM   #13

Feb 2017
Middlesborough, England

Series 5 does have a steelbook, but not in that lovely Alice Xhang artwork. It's quite hideous...but it is out there.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:51 PM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012

Right, so the first thing the first female Doctor does in an episode written by a man who boasts about being "billions of years beyond your petty human obsession with gender and its associated stereotypes" is look for a mirror, describe herself as "Brilliant!" in her best Victoria Wood impersonation, press the wrong button on a craft she's been flying for hundreds of years and fall out of the TARDIS. Truly a giant leap for women on TV after years of stereotyping as superficial, vain, not very bright and crap drivers.
"Gentleman, that last remark is not for publication. This is a D notice situation."

Last edited by Aclea; 01-09-2018 at 08:56 PM.
Thanks given by:
Rocklandsboy (01-10-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 10:08 PM   #15

Aug 2014
Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aclea View Post
Right, so the first thing the first female Doctor does in an episode written by a man who boasts about being "billions of years beyond your petty human obsession with gender and its associated stereotypes" is look for a mirror, describe herself as "Brilliant!" in her best Victoria Wood impersonation, press the wrong button on a craft she's been flying for hundreds of years and fall out of the TARDIS. Truly a giant leap for women on TV after years of stereotyping as superficial, vain, not very bright and crap drivers.
Can't tell if this is serious or not
Thanks given by:
Buddy Ackerman (03-08-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 10:34 PM   #16

Mar 2012
Boulder

Quote:
Be kind. Sounds like typical DW transition scenario. Really.

Right up there with teeth, legs, and kidneys. Though still not ginger, I've no problem with 'Brilliant'.

Could have used an action word like 'Run' but 'Brilliant' is not bad -- kind of refreshing.

But in the theater it sounded like 'Call Berlin' -- extraterrestrials don't always speak English well or maybe the TARDIS translation circuitry was damaged -- then she punched a key to make a call and it all went wrong. That's how I saw it.

I had to go online to find what she said. Still, yeah, I can live with 'Brilliant' -- works for me anyway.

What was the original question?

Must get it right next time.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:44 AM   #17
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2009
In a rubbish part of England
Send a message via MSN to Billz

Quote:
This right here, is the typical response of someone looking for a reason to hate a female Doctor.

Let me guess...
You're one of the ignorant few that kept using the #NotMyDoctor hashtag on Twitter.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:10 AM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billz View Post
This right here, is the typical response of someone looking for a reason to hate a female Doctor.

Let me guess...
You're one of the ignorant few that kept using the #NotMyDoctor hashtag on Twitter.
No, but that's a typical response of someone who hasn't read the post - y'know the one pointing out that after all the proud boasts of feminism and empowerment immediately turn her into a 70s sitcom silly woman cliche the moment she transforms, which is hardly an encouraging start or well thought out first impression (and we all remember how Colin Baker never got over his disastrous first impression in the ratings, which have been on the slide for NuWho for a couple of seasons). Let me guess, you're one of the ignorant few that think 50 Shades of Gray is a prime piece of feminist empowerment on Twitter (which I've never been on nor ever will).

C'mon bill, you're brighter than jumping to such typical kneejerk stupidity. Or do you genuinely think the first thing a female Time Lord would do would be to forget how to drive because, y'know, she's just a silly woman? Or that someone complaining about a male writer opting for such a 'typical woman driver' approach is somehow a misogynist because it fits in with your need to believe that any criticism must be derived solely from the desire to keep the role a male-only preserve?
"Gentleman, that last remark is not for publication. This is a D notice situation."

Last edited by Aclea; 01-10-2018 at 06:24 AM.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:14 AM   #19
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2009
In a rubbish part of England
Send a message via MSN to Billz

Quote:
No, but that's a typical response of someone who hasn't read the post - y'know the one pointing out that after all the proud boasts of feminism and empowerment immediately turn her into a 70s sitcom silly woman cliche the moment she transforms, which is hardly an encouraging start or well thought out first impression (and we all remember how Colin Baker never got over his disastrous first impression in the ratings, which have been on the slide for NuWho for a couple of seasons). Let me guess, you're one of the ignorant few that think 50 Shades of Gray is a prime piece of feminist empowerment on Twitter (which I've never been on nor ever will).
First off,
A. I did read your whole post before replying.
B. You yourself pointed out the associated TV cliches of women characters in order to emphasise your point and add weight to your argument. Everything you pointed out in that regard has been a staple of series ever since it came back in 2005, and yet, on here at least, the only time you've moaned about it is when Jodie took over. Says quite a lot about you.

C. Do you honestly think that I would think that 50 Shades is female empowerment? If so, then you have no idea who you're talking to.

Quote:
C'mon bill, you're brighter than jumping to such typical kneejerk stupidity. Or do you genuinely think the first thing a female Time Lord would do would be to forget how to drive because, y'know, she's just a silly woman? Or that someone complaining about a male writer opting for such a 'typical woman driver' approach is somehow a misogynist because it fits in with your need to believe that any criticism must be derived solely from the desire to keep the role a male-only preserve?
I've been campaigning for a female Doctor for years.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:15 AM   #20
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009
Bristol, England

Quote:

I didn't see it like that at all I just saw it as yet again a regeneration inside the Tardis has screwed it up just like with the Tennant and Smith regenerations did.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland