Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Ash vs Evil Dead: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
£17.99
19 hrs ago
Justice League (Blu-ray)
£7.49
 
Loveless (Blu-ray)
£7.49
 
Killer Klowns from Outer Space (Blu-ray)
£8.99
 
Halloween (Blu-ray)
£7.00
6 hrs ago
The Shape of Water (Blu-ray)
£9.99
 
Finding Your Feet (Blu-ray)
£7.49
 
Papillon (Blu-ray)
£7.00
 
Carrie (Blu-ray)
£8.99
 
Red Sparrow (Blu-ray)
£10.00
 
Prince of Darkness (Blu-ray)
£14.99
 
The Bird with the Crystal Plumage (Blu-ray)
£8.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2017, 11:16 PM   #1
openviews openviews is offline
Active Member
 
openviews's Avatar
 
Jun 2011
United Kingdom Doctor Who Christmas Special 2017 - Twice Upon A Time

Available to preorder, to be released on the 22nd January 2018.



Doctor Who: Twice Upon A Time Blu-ray

As it wasnt included with the series 10 set I thought they might release this as a separate steelbook rather than include it with Jodie Whittakers first season but not seeing it anywhere.

Last edited by Deciazulado; 07-10-2018 at 10:28 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Jack Priest (12-25-2017), Johny Rotten (01-08-2018)
Old 12-20-2017, 11:48 PM   #2
irascian irascian is offline
Active Member
 
May 2010
Southampton, UK
Default

Worth pointing out that Zoom have got this for £3 less than Amazon and Zavvi.

EDITED TO ADD: Why isn't this in the TV section?!?!
Oppo BP205BMR Player, Panasonic VT65 TV

Last edited by irascian; 12-21-2017 at 01:50 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 08:53 AM   #3
Darby1985 Darby1985 is offline
Senior Member
 
Darby1985's Avatar
 
Feb 2017
Middlesborough, England
1402
Default

It is a bit odd that it'll be the only special - the only Nu-Who episode - not included in some kind of special set.

Still, there weren't many alternatives. Holding it back for Jodie's set wouldn't work. Delaying the Season 10 set and missing Christmas sales wouldn't work.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:13 AM   #4
oddbox83 oddbox83 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
oddbox83's Avatar
 
Sep 2013
UK
Default

Matt Smith's finale wasn't in any season box set either.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:46 AM   #5
Darby1985 Darby1985 is offline
Senior Member
 
Darby1985's Avatar
 
Feb 2017
Middlesborough, England
1402
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddbox83 View Post
Matt Smith's finale wasn't in any season box set either.
Guess my 50th Anniversary Boxset doesn't count?

I didn't say season set. I set any kind of special set, mindful of the fact that Day and Time Of The Doctor weren't in season sets.....
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 11:22 AM   #6
oddbox83 oddbox83 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
oddbox83's Avatar
 
Sep 2013
UK
Default

I donít count that no, especially because it was so limited.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 11:33 AM   #7
pottyaboutpotter1 pottyaboutpotter1 is online now
Special Member
 
pottyaboutpotter1's Avatar
 
Feb 2012
West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
617
11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddbox83 View Post
I donít count that no, especially because it was so limited.
IIRC BBC once said they plan to re-release the boxset without the limited edition packaging (so probably in a standard 4-disc amaray) somewhere down the line.

Besides, I highly doubt BBC will keep the fixed version of Day of the Doctor (playing at the correct framerate), An Adventure in Space and Time and The Five(ish) Doctors exclusive to a hard to find limited boxset forever. I wouldn't be surprised if it was re-released next year to mark the show's 55th Anniversary and to cash in on renewed interest in David Bradley portraying William Hartnell's Doctor.
My setup:

TV - Sony X900E
Blu-Ray Player: Samsung K8500
Sound system: Yamaha YSP-2500
Games console: Playstation 4 Pro
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 12:23 PM   #8
Darby1985 Darby1985 is offline
Senior Member
 
Darby1985's Avatar
 
Feb 2017
Middlesborough, England
1402
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddbox83 View Post
I donít count that no, especially because it was so limited.
Given I set the parameters in my post....I don't really care.

Limited editions (and it was 6,000 not a few dozen) don't somehow make something "not count" as a real release.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 12:27 PM   #9
drterror666 drterror666 is offline
Expert Member
 
drterror666's Avatar
 
Oct 2014
Bristol, UK
123
45
Default

Someone told me that this Christmas, the Doctor regenerates into a woman! A woman!!!! What will the Star Wars: The Last Jedi fans make of that for 'tampering with the expected sequence'?

Ho, ho, nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!! !!!!
Now go home and get your f***in' shine box!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 01:24 PM   #10
Jezza Jezza is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Jezza's Avatar
 
Apr 2010
305
262
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottyaboutpotter1 View Post
IIRC BBC once said they plan to re-release the boxset without the limited edition packaging (so probably in a standard 4-disc amaray) somewhere down the line.

Besides, I highly doubt BBC will keep the fixed version of Day of the Doctor (playing at the correct framerate), An Adventure in Space and Time and The Five(ish) Doctors exclusive to a hard to find limited boxset forever. I wouldn't be surprised if it was re-released next year to mark the show's 55th Anniversary and to cash in on renewed interest in David Bradley portraying William Hartnell's Doctor.
It's been more than 3 years since that set was released though. If they were going to re-release it they would have done so by now and with a new era upon us anything from the Matt Smith years will feel like ancient history next year.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Darby1985 (12-21-2017)
Old 12-21-2017, 03:56 PM   #11
malcy30 malcy30 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Jan 2011
Stockholm, but Sussex when back in UK
-
-
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
It's been more than 3 years since that set was released though. If they were going to re-release it they would have done so by now and with a new era upon us anything from the Matt Smith years will feel like ancient history next year.
Itís always been available as a non limited edition from Australia, and has been very cheap a few times.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:24 PM   #12
Jack Priest Jack Priest is offline
Active Member
 
Jack Priest's Avatar
 
Jul 2012
341
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottyaboutpotter1 View Post
IIRC BBC once said they plan to re-release the boxset without the limited edition packaging (so probably in a standard 4-disc amaray) somewhere down the line.

Besides, I highly doubt BBC will keep the fixed version of Day of the Doctor (playing at the correct framerate), An Adventure in Space and Time and The Five(ish) Doctors exclusive to a hard to find limited boxset forever. I wouldn't be surprised if it was re-released next year to mark the show's 55th Anniversary and to cash in on renewed interest in David Bradley portraying William Hartnell's Doctor.
I was hoping they'd release all the discs included in that set in a new SteelBook at some point - to match the Series 1, 2, 9 & 10 ones.

So we need SteelBooks for:
- Series 3
- Series 4
- The Specials
- Series 5
- Series 6
- Series 7
- 50th Anniversary
- Series 8
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:46 AM   #13
Darby1985 Darby1985 is offline
Senior Member
 
Darby1985's Avatar
 
Feb 2017
Middlesborough, England
1402
Default

Series 5 does have a steelbook, but not in that lovely Alice Xhang artwork. It's quite hideous...but it is out there.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:51 PM   #14
Aclea Aclea is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Aclea's Avatar
 
Jun 2012
99
Default

Right, so the first thing the first female Doctor does in an episode written by a man who boasts about being "billions of years beyond your petty human obsession with gender and its associated stereotypes" is look for a mirror, describe herself as "Brilliant!" in her best Victoria Wood impersonation, press the wrong button on a craft she's been flying for hundreds of years and fall out of the TARDIS. Truly a giant leap for women on TV after years of stereotyping as superficial, vain, not very bright and crap drivers.
"Gentleman, that last remark is not for publication. This is a D notice situation."

Last edited by Aclea; 01-09-2018 at 08:56 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Rocklandsboy (01-10-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 10:08 PM   #15
Babu93 Babu93 is offline
Member
 
Babu93's Avatar
 
Aug 2014
Scotland
361
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aclea View Post
Right, so the first thing the first female Doctor does in an episode written by a man who boasts about being "billions of years beyond your petty human obsession with gender and its associated stereotypes" is look for a mirror, describe herself as "Brilliant!" in her best Victoria Wood impersonation, press the wrong button on a craft she's been flying for hundreds of years and fall out of the TARDIS. Truly a giant leap for women on TV after years of stereotyping as superficial, vain, not very bright and crap drivers.
Can't tell if this is serious or not
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Buddy Ackerman (03-08-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 10:34 PM   #16
f451 f451 is offline
Active Member
 
f451's Avatar
 
Mar 2012
Boulder
381
3
53
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aclea View Post
Right, so the first thing the first female Doctor does in an episode written by a man who boasts about being "billions of years beyond your petty human obsession with gender and its associated stereotypes" is look for a mirror, describe herself as "Brilliant!" in her best Victoria Wood impersonation, press the wrong button on a craft she's been flying for hundreds of years and fall out of the TARDIS. Truly a giant leap for women on TV after years of stereotyping as superficial, vain, not very bright and crap drivers.
Be kind. Sounds like typical DW transition scenario. Really.

Right up there with teeth, legs, and kidneys. Though still not ginger, I've no problem with 'Brilliant'.

Could have used an action word like 'Run' but 'Brilliant' is not bad -- kind of refreshing.

But in the theater it sounded like 'Call Berlin' -- extraterrestrials don't always speak English well or maybe the TARDIS translation circuitry was damaged -- then she punched a key to make a call and it all went wrong. That's how I saw it.

I had to go online to find what she said. Still, yeah, I can live with 'Brilliant' -- works for me anyway.

What was the original question?

Must get it right next time.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 05:44 AM   #17
Billz Billz is online now
Blu-ray Knight
 
Billz's Avatar
 
Nov 2009
In a rubbish part of England
350
111
4
37
Send a message via MSN to Billz
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aclea View Post
Right, so the first thing the first female Doctor does in an episode written by a man who boasts about being "billions of years beyond your petty human obsession with gender and its associated stereotypes" is look for a mirror, describe herself as "Brilliant!" in her best Victoria Wood impersonation, press the wrong button on a craft she's been flying for hundreds of years and fall out of the TARDIS. Truly a giant leap for women on TV after years of stereotyping as superficial, vain, not very bright and crap drivers.
This right here, is the typical response of someone looking for a reason to hate a female Doctor.

Let me guess...
You're one of the ignorant few that kept using the #NotMyDoctor hashtag on Twitter.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:10 AM   #18
Aclea Aclea is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Aclea's Avatar
 
Jun 2012
99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billz View Post
This right here, is the typical response of someone looking for a reason to hate a female Doctor.

Let me guess...
You're one of the ignorant few that kept using the #NotMyDoctor hashtag on Twitter.
No, but that's a typical response of someone who hasn't read the post - y'know the one pointing out that after all the proud boasts of feminism and empowerment immediately turn her into a 70s sitcom silly woman cliche the moment she transforms, which is hardly an encouraging start or well thought out first impression (and we all remember how Colin Baker never got over his disastrous first impression in the ratings, which have been on the slide for NuWho for a couple of seasons). Let me guess, you're one of the ignorant few that think 50 Shades of Gray is a prime piece of feminist empowerment on Twitter (which I've never been on nor ever will).

C'mon bill, you're brighter than jumping to such typical kneejerk stupidity. Or do you genuinely think the first thing a female Time Lord would do would be to forget how to drive because, y'know, she's just a silly woman? Or that someone complaining about a male writer opting for such a 'typical woman driver' approach is somehow a misogynist because it fits in with your need to believe that any criticism must be derived solely from the desire to keep the role a male-only preserve?
"Gentleman, that last remark is not for publication. This is a D notice situation."

Last edited by Aclea; 01-10-2018 at 06:24 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:14 AM   #19
Billz Billz is online now
Blu-ray Knight
 
Billz's Avatar
 
Nov 2009
In a rubbish part of England
350
111
4
37
Send a message via MSN to Billz
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aclea View Post
No, but that's a typical response of someone who hasn't read the post - y'know the one pointing out that after all the proud boasts of feminism and empowerment immediately turn her into a 70s sitcom silly woman cliche the moment she transforms, which is hardly an encouraging start or well thought out first impression (and we all remember how Colin Baker never got over his disastrous first impression in the ratings, which have been on the slide for NuWho for a couple of seasons). Let me guess, you're one of the ignorant few that think 50 Shades of Gray is a prime piece of feminist empowerment on Twitter (which I've never been on nor ever will).
First off,
A. I did read your whole post before replying.
B. You yourself pointed out the associated TV cliches of women characters in order to emphasise your point and add weight to your argument. Everything you pointed out in that regard has been a staple of series ever since it came back in 2005, and yet, on here at least, the only time you've moaned about it is when Jodie took over. Says quite a lot about you.

C. Do you honestly think that I would think that 50 Shades is female empowerment? If so, then you have no idea who you're talking to.

Quote:
C'mon bill, you're brighter than jumping to such typical kneejerk stupidity. Or do you genuinely think the first thing a female Time Lord would do would be to forget how to drive because, y'know, she's just a silly woman? Or that someone complaining about a male writer opting for such a 'typical woman driver' approach is somehow a misogynist because it fits in with your need to believe that any criticism must be derived solely from the desire to keep the role a male-only preserve?
I've been campaigning for a female Doctor for years.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:15 AM   #20
Indiana Jones Indiana Jones is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Aug 2009
Bristol, England
39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aclea View Post
No, but that's a typical response of someone who hasn't read the post - y'know the one pointing out that after all the proud boasts of feminism and empowerment immediately turn her into a 70s sitcom silly woman cliche the moment she transforms, which is hardly an encouraging start or well thought out first impression (and we all remember how Colin Baker never got over his disastrous first impression in the ratings, which have been on the slide for NuWho for a couple of seasons). Let me guess, you're one of the ignorant few that think 50 Shades of Gray is a prime piece of feminist empowerment on Twitter (which I've never been on nor ever will).

C'mon bill, you're brighter than jumping to such typical kneejerk stupidity. Or do you genuinely think the first thing a female Time Lord would do would be to forget how to drive because, y'know, she's just a silly woman? Or that someone complaining about a male writer opting for such a 'typical woman driver' approach is somehow a misogynist because it fits in with your need to believe that any criticism must be derived solely from the desire to keep the role a male-only preserve?
I didn't see it like that at all I just saw it as yet again a regeneration inside the Tardis has screwed it up just like with the Tennant and Smith regenerations did.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:00 PM.