Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Green Planet 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96
10 hrs ago
The Last Detail 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.35
13 hrs ago
Red Dawn 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.99
13 hrs ago
Dog Soldiers 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.89
13 hrs ago
The Halloween 4K Collection (Blu-ray)
$104.99

Watcher (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Edge of Tomorrow 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.79
14 hrs ago
The Lost Boys 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.99

Green Lantern: Beware My Power 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 day ago
Interspecies Reviewers (Blu-ray)
$39.99

The Return of the Living Dead 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Where the Crawdads Sing (Blu-ray)
$24.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 01-01-2018, 01:58 PM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009
England
Exclamation The Blu-ray Community Top 25 Films of 2017 (Please Read 1st Post)

the Deadline for your votes is set for:
Monday (Feb 26th) at noon eastern time (9 am pacific)

Happy New Year, Blu-Ray.com! But let's say goodbye to 2017 in style by rounding up the best films this past year had to offer.

Guidelines

Like previous years, simply list your top 20 - 25 films in order descending from your favorite, the higher up the film is the more points it'll get, like this:

1. 25 Points
2. 19 Points
3. 18 Points
4. 17 Points
5. 16 Points
16. 5 Points
17. 4 Points
18. 3 Points
19. 2 Points
20. 1 Point
21. 1 Point
22. 1 Point
23. 1 Point
24. 1 Point
25. 1 Point

Your top film gets 25 points, because it's your favorite so it deserves a little bit extra. This year continues the addition of 21 - 25 as we believe everyone should have a chance to add some runners up, they all get 1 point each, which will hopefully avoid us getting many tie breakers and might allow us to add some little known films that wouldn't of initially gotten many peoples attention last year. If you can't think of extra 5 films worth mentioning, then don't worry, the minimum amount of submission is 20 films, the extra 5 are for people who might want them.

And please, list your films in the order given, no randomly ordered submission will be counted.

The Rules

1) Like mentioned above, Minimum amount of films listed is 20 and Maximum is 25. If you can't list 20 movies you've seen this year, all the films on your list will only receive 1 point each towards the total so be sure to reach that 20 milestone.

2) What counts as a 2017 release? - A film must have been released either limited, wide, on demand, or straight-to-dvd (which ever comes first) in the United States in 2017. This does not include film festivals or released internationally. It may be hard to determine if some films were released in 2014 or not, so that's what the strict rules on this are for. We stick to the US as our guide for no other reason than it is easier that way.

Use the release dates on IMDb if you are unsure if it's eligible. As an example from the previous countdown, Snowpiercer was released in some countries and festivals in 2013, but did not get a limited release in the U.S. until June 27th, 2014. So that film will count as eligible for 2014. Likewise, a movie that doesn't get a wide release until January, but it had a limited release sometime in 2017, would also count.

Classic films that were re-released ARE NOT ELIGIBLE! Please do not include them on your list, you'll be asked to change it and if you haven't changed before the deadline, the films on your list will get 1 point each.

And if you're unsure if a film is eligible, just ask and we will help figure it out for you!

3) Please only make one list - Make only one list on this thread. However, you are free to update and change your original post as often as you'd like until the deadline. It will make tallying very hard if there are multiple lists from one person. Just find your original post and click 'Edit' to make your changes. If you do re-post your list twice or more, I'll message you to remove them.

4) Add a short review of your film choices - In an attempt to personalize the list as a whole, I want members to post a short bit of prose about their choice. This can range from a short sentence consisting of a couple of words to a couple of lines long paragraph, or you can link to a previous review you wrote when the film was released.

This is not compulsory, and you can write these short pieces on however many of your choices you want, even if it's only for your first pick., however the more input the better, the short words of wisdom will be included on the final tallied up list in a well presented manner, and you're list will be linked with you're description so others who see your words will hopefully want to look at your other choices as well.

5) Finally, just to remind you, the Deadline is set for:
Saturday (Feb 24th) at noon eastern time (9 am pacific)
Please make sure you get your list in and make any final edits before this deadline, as any changes after that will not count.

Previous Years:

Last edited by thewerepuppygrr; 02-25-2018 at 04:04 PM.
Thanks given by:
Al_The_Strange (01-01-2018), benbess (01-01-2018), cgpublic (01-01-2018), DanTheMan (01-01-2018), esteban² (01-01-2018), Foggy (01-01-2018), GLaDOS (01-01-2018), Heinz-Klett (01-01-2018), Hellhound (01-04-2018), Hucksta G (01-01-2018), imsounoriginal (01-02-2018), jacobsever (01-01-2018), principehomura (01-01-2018), sandman slim (01-01-2018), Talleyrand (01-26-2018), The Debts (01-01-2018), Trollhunter (01-01-2018), Wing Wang17 (02-05-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 02:05 PM   #2
Special Member

Oct 2011
Italy

By the deadline I should catch up with some italian release, hope to make it!
Old 01-01-2018, 02:08 PM   #3
Blu-ray Archduke

Aug 2009
The Macroverse

01. Blade Runner 2049
02. It
03. All the Money in the World
04. A Cure for Wellness*
05. T2 Trainspotting
06. Coco
07. It Comes at Night
08. Logan Lucky
09. Wonder Woman
10. Ghost in the Shell
11. The Beguiled
12. Gerald's Game
13. Logan
14. Creep 2
15. The Babysitter
16. The Disaster Artist
17. Free Fire
18. Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
19. Get Out
20. Alien: Covenant

*Lots of sites have this pegged for 2016, but I think that's down to festival screenings. It hit US and UK cinemas in 2017.

Last edited by dallywhitty; 02-13-2018 at 12:49 AM.
Thanks given by:
Al_The_Strange (01-01-2018), GLaDOS (01-02-2018), The Debts (01-10-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 02:08 PM   #4
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2009
Ontario, Canada

I’m still demanding a recount for 2015. The Force Awakens was robbed.
Old 01-01-2018, 02:13 PM   #5
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2013
ME

1. Your Name (Kimi No Na Wa).

I hate this town! I hate this life! Please make me a handsome Tokyo boy in my next life!

Not many films left me in awe quite like Your Name did. Going in, I was pretty much in the dark save for the base synopsis – two teens find themselves continually swapping bodies for reasons beyond their understanding – and the universal praise it was getting but coming out of it, I was utterly blindsided by the massive achievement that director Makoto Shinkai pulled off. Gorgeous to gawk at, inventively plotted and featuring one of the most exhilarating third acts I’ve seen in a while, Your Name commands the screen in ambition and tone up until till its heartbreakingly beautiful final frame. Don’t let the fact this is an anime alienate you; This film is a testament to the power of cinema in any form and one of the few films I’ve seen this year that legitimately deserves to be called “art”. Believe the hype on this one, ladies and gents.

2. The Lost City of Z.

Mr. Fawcett, that jungle is hell, but one kind of likes it.

Imagine a Great Hollywood epic from the 70’s that was shot and completed but locked and preserved for ages in the vaults from the system until one day someone let the film out of its cage. That’s the experience of watching James Gray’s masterful adventure. Patient, intelligent and featuring an awards worthy turn by Charlie Hunnam, The Lost City of Z is a long journey but stick with it and you will be richly rewarded by the almost surreal adventures of Percy Fawcett and his obsession with finding an unknown civilization in Amazonia that span a lifetime. Everything element of production, design and writing in this film is impeccable despite its limited resources while the rest of the cast gives career best work here (of which includes such faces like Robert Pattinson, Sienna Miller, Tom Holland and Ian McDiarmid, among others). And to say nothing of the final shot, which deserves to be mounted in every art museum around the world.

3. Star Wars The Last Jedi.

Let the past die. Kill it if you have to.

Yes I liked it. Shut up. In a way, Rian Johnson unintentionally granted a perverse wish of mine I had around the time The Force Awakens got the backlash: Make a film that goes out of its way to make people regret complaining about the previous film by getting weird and changing crap. Well, it happened and you know what? It works. Maybe not for everyone (as evidenced by the super divisive responses), but it certainly did for me. A hulking, complicated and grand spectacle that willingly subverts and breaks expectations of what we have for Star Wars but puts it back together for a new generation. JJ Abrams has his work cut out for him after what Johnson has done here. Plus Porgs and Reylo nearly being canon! What’s not to like?

4. Wind River.

Luck don’t live out here.

Unpopular opinion time but out all writer/director Taylor Sheridan’s works in Hollywood as of late, this chilly thriller bests Sicario and Hell or High Water by about several notches. Haunting is the operative word on this one – in story, visuals and performances. Murder mysteries can make for tragic works and this one, set on an Indian reservation with a local hunter played by Jeremy Renner leading the investigation, is one that feels more real than they probably should. It’s understated but effective work, cold and desolate, in how it’s story plays out and a stiff drink might be required afterwards. The final coda at the end in particular feels like a swift kick to the nuts, especially when you take into account of the recent swarm of sexual harassment claims going on in the world.

5. Phantom Thread.

It’s comforting to think the dead are watching over the living. I don’t find that spooky at all.

Daniel Day Lewis ends his career with a quiet but powerful bang in Paul Thomas Anderson’s Phantom Thread, one of the oddest romance stories to come out this year. It’s an exquisitely designed and beautifully subtle affair in every regard: The writing is layered, the performances are multifaceted, Johnny Greenwood’s score is honey to the ears in hearing it bounce between different tones, the costuming and set design is rich as hell – I could go on and on with the feast of a film. However, that in of itself would be spoiling the twisty, toxic fun to be had. Just go in blind as hell and be amazed. You won’t regret it.

6. War For The Planet of The Apes.

I have a message for your Colonel: Leave us the woods and the killing can stop.

I’m still trying to wrap my head around this film’s existence: A 150 million dollar big budget, slow paced epic that says humanity deserves to die and throws around constant references to brutal war films and Holocaust pictures – that mostly involves CG apes that communicate in sign language. Like, how?! How did this get made? Above all, how did it wind up this good? Director Matt Reeves finishes Caesar’s saga with a flawed but satisfying finale. Though not without some noticeable bumps in the road, the film works excellently as an amazing technical and emotional accomplishment. Intelligent, genuinely epic, blockbuster filmmaking like this doesn’t come around this often, especially in the franchise realm. Treasure it.

7. Split.

REJOICE! THE BROKEN ARE THE MORE EVOLVED!

It’s good to say M Night Shyamalan is finally back after being a laughing stock for a good decade. Featuring a fearlessly committed performance by James McAvoy and confident direction, this is Shyamalan roaring back into top form. He hasn’t been this good since Signs and it’s just great seeing him pull off something this unnerving and interesting with McAvoy’s delightfully demented yet sympathetic monster. It’s both of these performers in bonkers mode and it makes for genuinely scary stuff. Then there’s that signature twist ending that Shymalan pulls out of his bag of tricks, one that not only changes the film on its head in just a minute but also sets itself for a sequel that makes any MCU teaser look downright meager by comparison.

8. All The Money In The World.

If you can count your money, you’re not a billionaire.

Between the controversial reshoots and messy pay disputes by one of its stars, Ridley Scott’s All The Money In The World looks to be buried and remembered for the negative press than its merits as an actual film. Which is a massive shame, as this is easily Scott’s best film to come out in this decade so far. It’s cold, cynical and borderline operatic stuff, with Christopher Plummer being his magnificent self as J. Paul Getty, his stare and presence at once personable but malevolent and cheap. But other players such as Michelle Williams and Romain Duris (especially the latter) provide fantastic work on their own as the mother of the kidnapped kid and the leader of the kidnappers respectfully. Coupled with tight editing, gorgeous cinematography, a well written if melodramatic script and a bang up score, this is Scott doing strong work here. Don’t be afraid to seek it out.

9. IT.

Time to float!

What’s the deal with Clowns anyway? After going through several radical screenplays and a major director departure, this adaptation of the seminal Stephen King classic finally made it into theaters in 2017. And it was good! Hell, great even. One of the better adaptations of his works out there, bar none. In splitting King’s gargantuan novel into two films and making the first one all about the kids vs the clown, it gives the story a great focus it would have never had if the whole book was brought on screen while also channeling the best of New Line horror and Spielbergian childhood wonder in the process. The film might be short on scares, but Andrés Muschietti’s take on IT certainly has no shortage of entertainment, humor and heart.

10. Valerian and The City of A Thousand Planets.

Laureline, will you please put your hand back on the joystick?

The most creative and imaginative Sci-Fi spectacle of the year and no one went to see it due to divisive reviews, an obscure source material, oddball leads and stiff competition (this opened up against films like Dunkirk and the unsuspecting sleeper hit Girls Trip). A shame too, because Luc Besson’s adaptation of the Pierre Christin and Jean-Claude Mézières comic series is a wonder to behold and one of the most energetic films I’ll see all year. While its script won’t win any awards and perhaps the combination of Dane DeHaan + Cara Delevingne as a pair of space operatives are not suited to this material, the sheer visual imagination and quirky vibe of Besson’s Fifth Element is here in full force to pick up the slack and then some. This film has more ideas in a single frame than most movies do as a whole, while the film’s kinetic pace keeps things from ever getting stale. I adore this film for its sheer wackiness, warts and all, and I hope to GOD this gets its day in the sun as a future cult classic.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

11. Logan.

12. Good Time.

13. A Cure For Wellness.

14. Baby Driver.

15. Atomic Blonde.

16. Get Out.

17. Colossal.

18. Brawl In Cell Block 99.

19. Hostiles.

20. Logan Lucky.

21. Guardians of The Galaxy Vol. 2.

22. The Devil's Candy.

23. John Wick Chapter 2.

24. Dunkirk.

25. The Florida Project.

Full list of films seen here.

Last edited by The Debts; 02-22-2018 at 01:08 PM.
Thanks given by:
Al_The_Strange (01-01-2018), cgpublic (02-21-2018), Darth Marcus (01-16-2018), DjMethod (01-24-2018), Foggy (01-24-2018), GLaDOS (01-02-2018), Heinz-Klett (01-24-2018), Hucksta G (01-02-2018), imsounoriginal (01-03-2018), Jasonic (02-26-2018), Mandalorian (01-01-2018), UltraMario9 (01-02-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 02:28 PM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2009
Louisville, KY

1. The Last Jedi
2. The Man Who Invented Christmas
3. The Shape of Water
4. Call Me By Your Name
5. Marshall
6. Battle of the Sexes
7. Murder on the Orient Express
8. Goodbye Christopher Robin
9. The Post
10. Beauty and the Beast
11. IT
12. Dunkirk
13. Only the Brave
14. Professor Marston and the Wonder Women
15. Detroit
16. My Cousin Rachel
17. Wonder Woman
18. Wind River
19. Victoria and Abdul
20. Phantom Thread
21. Bladerunner 2049
22. Lady Bird
23. Novitiate
24. Wonderstruck
25. The Greatest Showman

Last edited by benbess; 02-10-2018 at 06:37 PM.
Thanks given by:
Darth Marcus (01-16-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 02:32 PM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2010

1. Get Out
  2. Wonder Woman
  3. Spider-Man: Homecoming
  4. Star Wars: The Last Jedi
  5. Wind River
  6. Colossal
  7. The Florida Project
  8. Logan
  9. Call Me by Your Name
  10. Molly’s Game
  11. Kingsman: The Golden Circle
  12. Blade Runner 2049
  13. Justice League
  14. Lady Bird
  15. I, Tonya
  16. Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2
  17. Dunkirk
  18. Logan Lucky
  19. Alien: Covenant
  20. The Lost City of Z
  21. Thor: Ragnarok
  22. Baby Driver
  23. War for the Planet of the Apes
  24. Beauty and the Beast
  25. The Greatest Showman

Last edited by Comicman494; 01-08-2018 at 04:52 AM.
Thanks given by:
Al_The_Strange (01-01-2018), Darth Marcus (01-16-2018), GLaDOS (01-02-2018), Hucksta G (01-02-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 03:57 PM   #8
Banned

Aug 2011

1. Get Out

Peele has instantly established himself as an up-and-coming filmmaker worth watching. Daniel Kaluuyah who is the face of Get Out, went from a role player in other films into one of the breakout stars of the decade.

2. Lady Bird

The cast, led by Saoirse Ronan and Laurie Metcalf, are all fantastic, charming, and funny. How can you not fall in love with this film? Ronan has been building an incredible resume over the years, and her performance in Lady Bird was magnificent, and her onscreen chemistry with Laurie Metcalf is what made my 2nd favorite film of the year so special. Metcalf brings to the table her love, her toughness, and her dedication for what could have been another standard "mom" role and made it her own.

3. Dunkirk

Nolan created a visually-stunning masterpiece to add to his already impressive filmography. Its a technical achievement that was unmatched this year and a vision of a war movie that hasn't been made before.

4. Call Me By Your Name

James Ivory beautifully adapted Andre Acimans novel, and gave it the heart, tension, heartbreak, and caring touch it deserved.

5. The Shape of Water

The Shape of Water is a stunning ensemble effort, as Richard Jenkins, Octavia Spencer, Michael Stuhlbarg and Michael Shannon offer fine performances while the breathtaking work from Hawkins and Jones anchors, enrich and enhance the film.

6. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Frances McDormand is a treasure delivering a bad-ass performance that is an instant classic. My first experience with her was in Fargo, which still remains an all time great performance. Then I seen Almost Famous, and it confirmed to me that she is one of the finest actresses to ever grace the silver screen.

7. Blade Runner 2049

Smart, ethereal and visually stunning. Like the original, a decade from now, we will all look back and realize just how great this sequel was. Speaking of visually stunning the cinematography done by Roger Deakins, I have this to say. GIVE. THIS. MAN. A. BLOODY. OSCAR

8. Phantom Thread

Day-Lewis' riveting performance is a consistent highlight in a movie that doesn't quite match the previous stronger efforts from Paul Thomas Anderson.

9. The Big Sick

Kumail Nanjiani is hilarious, as expected, but was also charming, emotional, and a joy to watch.

10. Good Time

11. Baby Driver

Wright turned the music into a character in the film. The film’s very opening scene is a masterwork of incorporating music into the story, as we truly learn about Baby’s personality as he sweeps through the city.

12. A Ghost Story

13. Logan

Patrick Stewart, a master performer with an under-rewarded and distinguished career end his run, in one of the most successful film franchises of all time, on top.

14. Wonder Woman

This movie proves that you really can elevate comic book movies to greatness.

15. The Post

Its amazing just how deep this cast is. Billied as the Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep show, but also features amazing work from some of the finest television actors, veteran character actors, and even actors of the stage.

16. Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Carrie Fisher, as a person, will be remembered for overcoming her battles with addiction using it to inspire and help others. I will miss Carrie. I grew up on Star Wars, like many of us. Our love for this saga is about nostalgia and our beloved characters. We will never forget her, we will always love her, she will always be our be apart of our childhoods.

17. Mudbound

Thanks in large part to the subtle and skilled direction of Dee Rees, with gorgeous visuals from cinematographer Rachel Morrison, Mudbound becomes a poetic study in struggle and characters with characteristics that shape this country to this very day.

18. mother!

19. The Lost City of Z

20. Coco

Pixar once again knocked it out of the park with Coco, easily the best animated film of the year.

21. War for the Planet of the Apes

Andy Serkis revolutionized the motion-capture genre, and his work as Caesar in this finale, as well as a the whole current Planet of the Apes trilogy was once again worthy of Oscar contention, and once again, ignored.

22. The Killing of a Sacred Deer

23. Okja

24. Thor: Ragnarok

The director of the film, Taika Waititi, voices the character Korg who is my favorite charater because all of his lines are comic relief perfection.

25. Wind River

Last edited by Trollhunter; 03-07-2018 at 08:06 PM.
Thanks given by:
Al_The_Strange (01-01-2018), Darth Marcus (01-16-2018), Jasonic (02-26-2018), The Debts (01-29-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 03:58 PM   #9
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2009
Denver, CO

1. The Florida Project
2. Call Me By Your Name
3. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
4. I, Tonya
5. The Big Sick
6. Get Out
7. Good Time
8. I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore
9. Landline
10. Tramps
11. Tragedy Girls
12. The Disaster Artist
13. Better Watch Out
14. Brawl in Cell Block 99
15. Princess Cyd
16. Wind River
17. Suburbicon
18. The Square
19. Detroit
20. Hounds of Love
21. The Blackcoat's Daughter
22. Columbus
23. Baby Driver
24. It Comes at Night
25. The Killing of a Sacred Deer

Will update with better graphics and formatting and stuff.

Last edited by jacobsever; 02-24-2018 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 03:58 PM   #10
Blu-ray Prince

Jan 2014

work in progress:

1. The Last Jedi
2. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2
3. Thor: Ragnarok
4. Blade Runner 2049
5. Ghost in the Shell
6. Atomic Blonde
7. The Big Sick
8. Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
9. Jim & Andy: The Great Beyond
10. John Wick: Chapter 2
11. Bright
12. Coco
13. Three Billboards
14. Wonder Woman
15. Brawl in Cell Block 99
16. The Blackcoat's Daughter
17. Get Out
18. David Lynch: The Art of Life
19. Logan
20. Baby Driver
21. Spider-Man: Homecoming
22. What Happened to Monday
23. A Cure for Wellness
24. The Girl With All the Gifts
25. Colossal

Last edited by Rodney-2187; 03-07-2018 at 03:24 PM.
Thanks given by:
Al_The_Strange (01-01-2018), Darth Marcus (01-01-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 04:05 PM   #11
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2011
Belgium

FINAL

Unfortunatly, I wasn't able to watch many movies last year.

01 | Dunkirk
02 | COCO
03 | The Last Jedi
04 | My Life as a Zucchini
05 | The Red Turtle
06 | Life
07 | Cars 3
08 | Mudbound
09 | It Comes at Night
10 | Alien Covenant

11 | Jim & Andy
12 | Okja
13 | Boss Baby
14 | Get Out
15 | Logan
16 | Super Dark Times
17 | IT
18 | John Wick 2

* All above were 2017 US releases!

@thewerepuppygrr, nice visuals in the opening post.

Last edited by esteban²; 02-24-2018 at 11:30 PM.
Thanks given by:
Al_The_Strange (01-01-2018), Mandalorian (02-24-2018), The Debts (02-25-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 04:06 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2013
United Kingdom
-
-
-

1. Blade Runner 2049
2. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
3. Phantom Thread
4. Dunkirk
5. War On Everyone
6. Star Wars: The Last Jedi
7. Baby Driver
8. The Lost City Of Z
9. The Shape Of Water
10. Get Out
11. The Meyerowitz Stories (New and Selected)
12. War for the Planet of the Apes
13. Logan
14. Gerald's Game
15. Creep 2
16. A Cure For Wellness
17. mother!
18. Okja
19. Super Dark Times
20. John Wick: Chapter 2
21. Kingsman: The Golden Circle
22. Logan Lucky
23. Good Time
24. Wind River
25. A Ghost Story

Last edited by UltraMario9; 02-24-2018 at 02:06 PM.
Thanks given by:
Al_The_Strange (01-01-2018), Darth Marcus (01-01-2018), Mandalorian (01-01-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 04:08 PM   #13
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2012
Georgia

The Great Owl's Top 25 Movies of 2017

1. Get Out
2. Blade Runner 2049
3. IT
4. Baby Driver
5. A Ghost Story
6. Good Time
7. Atomic Blonde
8. Dunkirk
9. Brawl in Cell Block 99
10. Ingrid Goes West
11. Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi
12. Thor: Ragnarok
13. It Comes at Night
14. mother!
15. Lady Bird
16. John Wick: Chapter 2
17. War for the Planet of the Apes
18. Spider-Man: Homecoming
19. Logan
20. Annabelle: Creation
21. Wind River
22. Wonder Woman
23. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
24. Happy Death Day
25. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Thanks given by:
Al_The_Strange (01-01-2018), Darth Marcus (01-01-2018), GLaDOS (01-02-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 04:08 PM   #14
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2009
Denver, CO

I've currently seen 106 films that were released in 2017...and I still need to catch up with about 20-25 before I can definitively cement my top list.

[Show spoiler]I can't wait to be the only person with Suburbicon on their list
Old 01-01-2018, 04:12 PM   #15
Blu-ray King

Dec 2010

01. The Shape of Water
02. War for the Planet of the Apes
03. Phantom Thread
04. Your Name
05. Lady Bird
06. IT
07. The Florida Project
08. The Killing of a Sacred Deer
09. Get Out
10. Spider-Man: Homecoming
11. John Wick: Chapter 2
12. Logan
13. Coco
14. mother!
15. Logan Lucky
16. Star Wars: The Last Jedi
17. Molly's Game
18. Beauty and the Beast
19. Wind River
20. Good Time
21. Brawl in Cell Block 99
22. Raw
23. The Lost City of Z
24. The Big Sick
25. I, Tonya

Last edited by DanTheMan; 02-24-2018 at 09:03 AM.
Thanks given by:
Darth Marcus (01-01-2018), Mandalorian (01-01-2018), The Debts (01-01-2018), The Great Owl (01-01-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 04:14 PM   #16
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2014

1. The Lost City of Z
2. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
3. Brawl in Cell Block 99
4. The Meyerowitz Stories
5. Logan Lucky
6. The Beguiled
7. Lady Bird
8. The Wizard of Lies (TV movie..... is it eligible?)
9. Wind River
10. Baby Driver
11. The Florida Project
12. The Killing of a Sacred Deer
13. Detroit
14. Phantom Thread
15. The Disaster Artist
16. Stronger
17. American Made
18. John Wick: Chapter 2
19. The Big Sick
20. Spider-Man: Homecoming
21. Star Wars: The Last Jedi
22. Mudbound
23. Good Time
24. Thor: Ragnarok
25. Last Flag Flying

Last edited by Hoke Moseley; 02-25-2018 at 03:25 PM.
Thanks given by:
UltraMario9 (01-13-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 04:19 PM   #17
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2009
Out there...past them trees...

1. Baby Driver

This flick gives you all the things you need to be thrilled: the music and the road. Set with a killer playlist, the movie roars ahead at full speed, delivering fast car chases, shoot-outs, and lots of color. The cast is phenomenal, with each player adding personality and flair, even in the grittiest of scenes. Ansel Elgort stands out as the centerpiece, filling the shoes of a deep, charismatic character. His world of love, loss, crime, and redemption is a compelling arc that makes the story engaging and delivers a sumptuous payoff. Tied together with a great script, the film stands out as one of the most captivating car chase films I've seen, and an easy contender for my favorite of the year. Easy like Sunday morning.

--------------------------------------------------

2. John Wick Chapter 2

Whoa, what a continuation. John Wick Chapter 2 wisely harnesses all the great things that made the first film work--character, worldbuilding, action choreography, an understated script--and cranks it all up with a bold new set of escalating actions and reactions. It becomes a sprawling revenge thriller on a mythic level. New territory opens up, giving the characters endless space to settle old grudges and challenge old beliefs. At the center is the same ol' John Wick, who remains a captivating antihero we can root for. The last scenes promise a heck of a finale to come.

3. Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

Star Wars--it seems that nowadays this series will either delight or infuriate fans. The latest installment managed to do both, because it does one thing nobody wanted or expected: it's a postmodern deconstruction that takes the audience on a thrill ride through unfamiliar territory. The laughs and excitement remains the same, but this is not your daddy's space adventure. It's a gritty struggle not only against good and evil, but against expectations. Classic heroes lose faith. Plots and plans fail. Villains triumph and may not be redeemed. Sacrifices are not always honored. And the Force, though constrained by fundamental laws, is also much bigger than we originally thought. These aren't easy truths to swallow, but I appreciate Rian Johnson for offering a challenging new view on a universe that's always in danger of becoming stagnant. It even offers messages of overcoming failure and staying positive--for me, these themes came through at the perfect time, reminding me to protect what I love and not to give into hate. No matter how loathed this film becomes, I will always value it for its inspirations.

4. Blade Runner 2049

35 years after Ridley Scott's sci-fi masterpiece, Dennis Villeneuve brings top-notch talent together and delivers a worthy cyberpunk procedural that matches its predecessor. The tone, mood, and style are spot-on. There are thrills, but the film also takes its time unraveling the story, which brings intriguing new directions to the characters and gives enough meditative space for audiences to contemplate the greater issues of realities, fabrications, illusions, and humanity itself. With the slick backdrop of 2049, this is probably the purest sci-fi film I've seen all year.

5. Your Name.

Makoto Shinkai always knew how to marry beautiful, vibrant animation with romance, sentiment, and a certain sense of whimsy. All his usual trademarks collide with dazzling results in Your Name, a cute and colorful take on a typical body-swap comedy. There are laughs to be had, but the film manages to balance its plot, which moves into somber and sentimental directions. It gives life to the characters and makes the story fresh. Of all the wonders this year's films have presented, this is the most heartfelt.

6. IT

Stephen King's classic novel is finally given better treatment on the big screen. It's a familiar tale, but remains no less captivating and scary. Each character is given life and depth, with a lot of dark and surprising twists that inevitably bring them together to fight a truly scary villain. Themes of fear are stronger than ever, and with competent skill, the film tells this tale anew with gravitas, depth, and suspense.

7. Dunkirk

Intense. This film is a drab, loud, oppressive thrill ride that places viewers side-by-side with soldiers stuck on a beach, waiting for salvation or death. The non-linear narrative is highly experimental, but the experience is what makes this film so vivid and valuable--it successfully bombards the audience with pulses of tension and fear. For a historic event I was otherwise oblivious to, the film seems faithful not only to events, but to the horrors of war.

8. Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2

Star-Lord and his gang of misfits are back to save the galaxy again! Now with more 70s tunes, more cool weapons, baby Groot, and a lot of emotional baggage in tow. Plot threads come together to break the team apart, where each character gets a chance to reflect and dive deeper into themes of family. It is often insightful and charming, even if the film dips into some low-brow jokes. It's an action-packed thrill ride bursting with color and personality.

9. Thor: Ragnarok

The end is nigh! The third Thor film takes all the loose ends from the last couple of movies (as well as some of the other Marvel flicks) and ties them up into a colorful and epic space fantasy with a lot more zing and humor than before. The combination of eye-popping action, levity, and theatrics is precisely the makeover Thor needed--his adventure to save Asgard has never been more palatable. The characters are a blast to watch. The story is engaging. It manages to carry enough dramatic weight to redeem the weaknesses of previous films--the wait for Ragnarok turned out to be so worth it.

10. Spiderman: Homecoming

Spider-Man has come home to Marvel and finds a pretty decent comfort zone. Action is as grand as ever, but doesn't flaunt it quite as blatantly as the older movies did. Instead, the film becomes something of a high-school comedy that hinges on superhero identities and stakes. It is an endearing blend thanks to the fantastic cast, interesting themes, and charming levity. Best of all, it's a smooth and focused effort, which makes the older films look choppy by comparison. There's a little bit of everything to this film, making this one of the most effortlessly entertaining flicks of the year.

11. Wonder Woman

Capitalizing off of the best qualities of previous DC films, the stand-alone Wonder Woman movie presents Gal Gadot in role that's as dazzling in aesthetic as it is in charm and physical prowess. Diana is a heroine worth rooting for, not only because she kills so many Nazis, but also because of everything in between the fantastic action scenes. It's really cute to watch the fish-out-of-water dynamics, but it's also captivating to see her rise up in a man's world and grow into empowered heroine. It's a seamless exploration of social issues, which makes Wonder Woman timeless and inspiring.

12. Beauty and the Beast

Beauty and the Beast looks lavish and eloquent. Performances are decent (extending to the spirited musical sequences, which might be some of the best I've seen in a long time). Best of all, the story and all its strengths carry over from the 1991 animation aptly, and any changes and additions don't really hurt the pacing or story much. It's definitely one of the best live-action Disney adaptations to date.

13. Logan

Logan offers a bitter and brutal swansong for Hugh Jackman's sprawling legacy in superhero lore. Rooted firmly in strong character development, the film delivers what the other stand-alone Wolverine movies tried hard to bank on: personal stakes deep enough to elicit sympathy. Painted with western-influenced backdrops and tropes, it is a punchy and gritty film mature audiences everywhere can soak in and feel for. This might be the best Wolverine movie of the lot.

14. War for the Planet of the Apes

Not as much "war" as one would expect, but it is surprisingly engaging thanks to its earnestness. It boasts exquisite cinematography, a dedicated cast, and a story that focuses on integral themes of savagery and violence. The film is at its best when it shows the apes contending with their animal selves in the face of human brutality.The journey of Caesar and his renegade apes continues to inspire sympathy and tears as they war for the planet, survival, family, and ultimately their own souls.

15. Atomic Blonde

This is one slick spy flick. Charlize Theron is badass as ever, giving John Wick a run for his money. The few action scenes pop with explosive resonance. The rest of the film oozes with enough style and attitude to give it its own identity. Charm and grit makes this a glowing, radioactive hit for action fans.

16. Ghost in the Shell

So real, so unreal--Hollywood has never had good luck adapting anime to the big screen, but this might be their best effort by far, because this film is so cartoony but also action-packed. Scarlett Johansson stands as the centerpiece, beautiful as she is tough, and her character's journey into seedy streets and the glimmering streams of virtual reality has enough twists to be compelling. In its own right, 2017's Ghost in the Shell is a solid blockbuster that looks true to the source, but offers its own spirit somewhere in the shell of the franchise's name.

17. mother!

Sometimes the best art is the most challenging. Darren Aronofsky set out to challenge just about everything in this extreme and abrasive allegory that ties up the history of man and nature into the confines of a home invasion thriller. The film will upset you, if for no other reason than horrible things happen and very little compassion is shown. But a dark and troubling truth emerges from the narrative that deserves discussion and study. Like it or not, mother! is a film that will leave its mark.

18. Get Out

Thrillers with strange twists and occurrences seem to be in lately. Get Out treads on similar ground as recent flicks like It Follows or Don't Breathe, but with a more daring angle. With its focus on current racial issues, the film couldn't be more timely. All the bizarre encounters and tension-filled dialogue will keep you hooked, but its harrowing implications will lay dormant in your brain long after the credits roll.

19. Split

M. Night Shyamalan finally returns to form, and he does so by returning to the style and genre (and even the universe) he previously mastered. His latest thriller is genuinely chilling, thanks to James McAvoy's dominating performance that commands over twenty different personalities. The story is taut as it is well-shot, and it'll be fascinating to see where these interesting new characters go next.

20. The Villainess

Looks like John Wick. Plays like La Femme Nikita. Feels like something totally different. There are some broad strokes painted that mirrors many other films in the genre, but the film is fresh thanks to its high-impact action scenes, sharp cinematography, delicate performances, and mixed-up narrative structure. It's far from a straightforward film, but it has bursts of flair and excitement, and it is a collage of tropes that elicit some awesome thrills.

21. Kingsman: The Golden Circle

A dazzling continuation that brings back all the lovable characters and puts new spins on them. There are twists that are both surprising and unsurprising, but altogether they deconstruct the spy movie genre in strange and funny ways. The action pops phenomenally, the comedy keeps things light and colorful, and the film is hardly a bore.

22. Girl With All The Gifts

A rather compelling twist on the post-apocalyptic zombie genre--all the action and terror remains, but the film commands sympathy for the undead. While films like Maggie attempted to pull this off, GWATG is more successful. The plot and characters keep the story interesting, especially when addressing the relationship between monsters and humankind, and whether there's a distinction at all.

23. Brawl in Cell Block 99

What this film lacks in actual brawling, it makes up for in its tone, shock value, and straightforward storytelling. Crawling at its own pace, the film unravels layers to its characters and plot that slowly push everything towards the inevitable prison fight. When the violence hits, it's extreme, brutal, and unpredictable. Everything in between seems to flow in a strange, dream-like universe of its own. Perhaps it's better seen as a nightmarish descent into nihilism and damnation. It definitely elicits thought and feeling, which is far more than I'd expect out of a prison thriller (and it's especially refreshing to see Vince Vaughn rise to the challenge of the role, delivering what may be the best performance of his career).

24. Lost City of Z

This feels like a film from another decade--times when history were brought to life with detail, mood, and style. The journey to find the lost city of Z is a long one that takes the characters' whole lifetimes, and we get to follow them from the stuffy offices of civilization to the primal jungles. What the film lacks in action, it makes up for in subtle conflicts, strong characterization, and creditable representation.

25. My Life as a Zucchini

With sturdy and elegant claymation, this film offers an endearing tale full of tough issues concerning alienation and friendship. Best of all, it explores so many tender emotions without being sappy, and the film succeeds at invoking all the right feelings. Each character, even the roughest of them, are lovable. Their lives entwine in compelling ways. It's a good animated film, plain and simple.

Last edited by Al_The_Strange; 02-13-2018 at 01:50 AM.
Thanks given by:
Darth Marcus (01-16-2018), DjMethod (02-11-2018), Foggy (02-19-2018), GLaDOS (01-02-2018), Hucksta G (01-01-2018), Jasonic (02-26-2018), Mandalorian (01-01-2018), The Debts (01-01-2018), UltraMario9 (01-01-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 04:20 PM   #18
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Sep 2010

01 | War for the Planet of the Apes

Quote:
War for the Planet of the Apes is a character piece, and I couldn't be happier with it subverting our expectations for a more bombastic finale. Caesar is a conflicted leader with the weight of the world on his shoulders, and his stress and anger are visceral. Andy Serkis and Steve Zahn gave two of the best motion capture performances ever as Caesar and Bad Ape respectively. It's remarkable to see so much close-up facial acting in what's supposed to be a summer blockbuster. Every welling of the eyes cuts deep. The villains, from the soldiers to the 'donkeys', are far from black and white. This is an astonishing culmination of a trilogy that came out of nowhere and earned its place among the pantheon of science fiction.

02 | Lady Bird

Quote:
Lady Bird is an exceptional solo directorial debut for Greta Gerwig. My teen experiences may have been completely different than the confused young lead's, but this story is so real that I can't help but relate. Laurie Metcalf and Saoirse Ronan are phenomenal. Their mother-daughter relationship is explosive. The lack of synchronization is understandable yet sad. It feels infinitely personal, which in turn makes it even more relatable. Lady Bird is sure to be a coming of age film that we talk about for years to come. It's an ode to that awkward period of finding oneself and an ode to parents who try their best to provide their kids with better lives.

03 | Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Quote:
On the surface Three Billboards is a bit tone deaf. Its dark sense of humor is vulgarly unsubtle and unflinching. Instead of simple black and white, its morality lives in the gray area. There are unexpected arcs; good people doing bad things, bad people doing good things. Frances McDormand is a grieving mother on a mission. Her performance is palpably emotional. There aren't many easy answers or bows neatly tied at the end, but the journey is a roller coaster of hilarity and deep sadness that only a filmmaker like Martin McDonagh can balance.

04 | The Shape of Water

Quote:
Guillermo del Toro wears his heart on his sleeve, and it's hard not to love him for it. The Shape of Water is an unabashedly strange movie. It doesn't try to hide that. The gill-man (of The Creature of the Black Lagoon fame) is one of my favorite movie monsters, and it's a crime that he hasn't gotten more screentime over the years. Doug Jones turns in yet another marvelous creature performance brought to life with a combination of gorgeous practical make-up and subtle CGI. Octavia Spencer, Richard Jenkins, Michael Shannon, and Michael Stuhlbarg are all wonderful in their supporting roles, but without a doubt this is the Sally Hawkins show. She bares all, both physically and emotionally, as the lifeblood of a love story that is built without a single spoken word. Adult fantasy films are a rarity, and thank god we have an artist like del Toro who is still dedicated to making them.

05 | Blade Runner 2049

Quote:
"Sometimes to love someone, you got to be a stranger." Denis Villeneuve is a brave filmmaker. To follow up a cult-to-classic widely considered masterpiece with a sequel thirty-five years later was a bold undertaking. He, Hampton Fancher, and Michael Green did it masterfully with Blade Runner 2049, a methodically paced Cyberpunk Neo-Noir epic. Every detail from the production design, costume design, score, and Roger Deakins' cinematography pulled me into a meticulously crafted world that felt tangible and, most importantly, possible.

06 | Logan

Quote:
Logan is a miracle. It's a miracle that Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart got to give satisfying conclusions to the characters they brought to the big screen nearly twenty years ago. It's a miracle that Fox allowed James Mangold to unsheathe the claws and go full balls to the wall with a well earned R rating. This is easily one of the best X-Men movies, proving that after seventeen years this franchise still has plenty of life left if given the opportunity for new paths to be explored. It's somber, and doesn't let the characters or audience off easy. I don't know if this is truly the end of the line for Old Man Logan, or if we'll see him again. Whatever the case may be, I just hope it's given the respect and attention this film clearly was.

07 | Get Out

Quote:
Without a doubt, Get Out is the biggest surprise of the year. Jordan Peele's social thriller/psychological horror comedy is in a league of its own. It feels like a Stepford Wives and Body Snatchers mashup episode of the Twilight Zone, but a unique and new thing all at the same time. I loved it when I walked out of the cinema, but it took me multiple viewings and conversations to fully appreciate the attention to detail and plethora of subconscious subtitles throughout. This is an astonishing directorial debut for Peele, and I can't wait to see what he does next.

08 | John Wick: Chapter 2

Quote:
To put it simply, John Wick: Chapter 2 is a gorgeously designed and exuberantly choreographed masterpiece of action cinema. It's a neon-lit ballet of bullets, bloodshed, and bodies. It's such a perfect orchestra that even Keanu Reeves' cardboard acting is used to its advantage, as a machine-like hitman. I had such a visceral reaction to this tour through a fantasy criminal underworld. Every close quarter kill elicits a wince and a smile. But, why the hell is Laurence Fishburne leading an underground organization of bum assassins? Shut up, John just killed two guys with a pencil... "A ****ing pencil."

09 | Spider-Man: Homecoming

Quote:
I’ve read many disparaging reviews, and second-guessed my overwhelming praise, but I have a blast every time I watch Spider-Man: Homecoming. I thought Kevin Feige, Jon Watts, and all involved did an excellent job distinguishing this second reboot from what has come before it. Tom Holland was great in his brief Civil War appearance, and a great leading man here. He embodied the dual roles perfectly. I loved the casting choices for his classmates. They had a lot of natural chemistry and added dynamism to the high school scenes. The adult cast is an embarrassment of riches. Even the smaller cameos make an impact. Michael Keaton brought a much needed ferocity to the Vulture. He's as scary out of the suit as he is in it. Homecoming is filled with so much energy and love from start to finish, that I'm more forgiving of its flaws. If you don't like the Marvel Studios style of filmmaking, then Spider-Man: Homecoming isn't for you, but I love the Universe they've built and this is one of my favorites.

10 | Coco

Quote:
Just when people start to question Pixar's lofty position on the animation throne, they put out another instant classic. Coco is a vibrant visually astonishing feast for the eyes, with a timely and timeless story to match. The attention to detail put into the Land of the Dead is a sight to behold. Disney films have had many dark moments throughout the studio's long tenure, but some of the themes in Coco are even darker than I could have expected. Themes of aging, memory loss, and death, backstabbing and betrayal, unaccomplished goals, and even artistic censorship. It runs the gamut of emotion, and that elevated it above simple family entertainment, making it yet another notch in Pixar's belt.

11 | Phantom Thread

Quote:
Phantom Thread has everything I've come to expect from a Paul Thomas Anderson film: meticulous direction, wonderful cinematography, flawless performances, haunting score. What I wasn't expecting was the prevalent sense of humor. Humor is nothing new for Anderson, but everything I saw pointed to what appeared to be a staunchly serious drama. There are a surprising amount of laugh out loud moments, thanks in part to the deft writing, but also to the nuanced work of Daniel Day-Lewis. He plays Reynolds Woodcock straight as an overly neurotic fashion genius, and his idiosyncrasies make him a character you don't enjoy the company of, but the dynamic between him, his new muse Alma, and his sister Cyril provides a fascinating weave of ego and altruism. Aside from the gorgeous aesthetic and the prospect of Daniel Day-Lewis ending his acting career with this film, the trailer did not inspire much enthusiasm in me, but I was thoroughly impressed with the film. It's definitely one of my favorites of Anderson's oeuvre.

12 | The Florida Project

Quote:
A significant portion of The Florida Project is spent simply following children as they run amok in their urban playground. Their joy is infectious. I couldn't help but smile and laugh along with them, even as they caused mischief. Beneath that joy, is anger and sadness. Anger at the parents for what they expose their children to, anger at the system that perpetuates their poverty, and sadness that this is all happening in one of the wealthiest countries in the world, right next to what's supposed to the 'the happiest place on Earth'. Brooklyn Prince is a revelation as Moonee. Willem Dafoe is at his sweetest and most relatable. It may rub many the wrong way, but it's definitely one of the most memorable films of the year.

13 | I, Tonya

Quote:
I, Tonya is hilarious, tragic, and one of the year's biggest surprises. I laughed throughout the entire film, but walked out disappointed to see someone with so much potential to be a sports legend become an infamous punchline due to circumstance, abuse, and the inability to take responsibility for her own shortcomings... Depending on whose story you believe. Even within the film characters undercut each other's versions of the truth. Margot Robbie is excellent. Sebastian Stan is excellent. But, without a doubt, this is Allison Janney's movie. Her character is fairly one-note, but Janney is captivating in every second of screen time. I thought some aspects felt over the top, and the filmmakers could tell, so they used interview segments, fourth wall breakage, and real clips to embrace that feeling and use it to their advantage.

14 | Logan Lucky

Quote:
Almost heaven, West Virginia... Of the extraordinary number of films to use John Denver music in 2017, maybe only one other was so affecting. Steven Soderbergh came out of his brief retirement, returned to the genre that most remember him for, and made my favorite of his heist films. What it lacks in the glitz of the Ocean's trilogy it makes up in genuine heart. It's fun to watch the elaborate heist unfold, and even more so when it's blue collar workers pulling it off. There's so much energy radiating through the film that even Daniel Craig has a blast with his role. It's beautifully directed and shot without being too flashy. It's sweet, without being overly sentimental. It didn't quite find its audience, but I'll be recommending it to people for years to come.

15 | mother!

Quote:
I will give you a new heart, and put within you a new spirit; and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you a heart of flesh. — Ezekiel 36:26 Darren Aronofsky's latest offering is a denunciation of man's destructive nature with a twisted Biblical allegory as the framework. It's so metaphorical that its metaphors have metaphors, and as much as that may reek of a writer/director being up his own ass, it makes for an increasingly dreadful sequence of events. Whether you want to unpack all mother! has to say, or simply enjoy its building insanity, I believe this film should not have been as rejected as it seemingly was. There's no denying that Aronofsky intentionally challenges viewers to embrace the extremity. The excellent cast makes the endeavor all the more riveting, especially Jennifer Lawrence's central performance. It's inflammatory and bold, and unlike anything I have seen before.

16 | Detroit

Quote:
Detroit may be oddly structured and somewhat disjointed, but it's one of the most harrowing cinematic experiences of the year. Kathryn Bigelow is comfortably within her niche: ground level explorations of dark historical events. The frenetic docudrama aesthetic makes the tension even more palpable. John Boyega and Algee Smith have the most notably fleshed out arcs of the large ensemble, but the performances are riveting all around. You can argue about racism, police abusing their power, urban decay, or how accurately the events are depicted to your heart's content. All I'm arguing is that what's on the screen makes for an immensely thrilling film.

17 | Good Time

Quote:
Insane, intense, and perhaps the most mockingly inapt tile of the year; Good Time is bolstered by Robert Pattinson's best performance to date. The neon lit streets and pulsating synth score gorgeously undercut Connie's vile actions. He's doing all the wrong things for the right reason, to make enough money to bail his mentally challenged brother (played subtly by co-director Ben Safdie) out of jail, who's only in jail to begin with because of his misdeeds. Watching him pass through people's lives over the course of a single day, finding ways to leave everyone worse than he found them, makes for one of the most compelling films of the year.

18 | Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Quote:
When you let an auteur make a massive franchise film, expect something different. Its pivots, reversals, and introductions to new lore were divisive to many fans, but Rian Johnson made something that will stand the test of time and many repeat viewings. I loved Rey and Kylo's dynamic. Their Force conversations were some of my favorite scenes. I loved what he did with Supreme Leader Snoke; I find his title amusing in hindsight. I also loved where they went with Rey's parentage. Maybe they were disappointments to people who spent hours of their lives dissecting fan theories, but I didn't, and I applaud the filmmakers' decisions. Leia has one of my least favorite moments early in the film, but also one of the saga's most emotional moments later in it. I enjoyed The Last Jedi immensely the first time, but I'm even more excited to revisit it.

19 | Call Me By Your Name

Quote:
Call Me By Your Name is a mood piece, resting on its beautiful Italian locales as gracefully underplayed attraction grows between Elio and Oliver. It's one of the most refreshing love stories I've seen in a while. Long stretches of Elio processing complex feelings that he's never experienced before are met with explosive moments of passion. Like summer love, the passion is short-lived, yet like first love, the feelings are everlasting. And to hear that a potential trilogy may be on the horizon hearkens back to another phenomenal European vacation romance series, Richard Linklater's Before Trilogy. Great company to be in.

20 | It

Quote:
I grew up watching the original miniseries and still appreciate what Tim Curry did to elevate it, but Bill Skarsgard is a new horror icon. Not only is Andy Muschietti's adaptation of the Stephen King classic a marked improvement over its predecessor, it's also one of the best horror films in years. The cast of youngsters that occupy the Losers' Club are phenomenal. Their camaraderie brought grounded drama and a surprising amount of comedy. There's plenty of terror to be found, perhaps too heavily reliant on dash at the camera jump scares, but not without equal amounts of heart and humor making It a well balanced affair. If Chapter two lives up to its predecessor I will be surprised, but Chapter One is most certainly going into my Halloween rotation.

21 | Okja

Quote:
Many have called Okja a live action Hayao Miyazaki movie, and I can see why. It's whimsically offbeat, earnestly sentimental, and simply fantastic. It's an environmental message movie that lampoons the corporations who run the world's food industries, and it doesn't shy away from taking shots at the activist groups who try to fight them, but somehow it avoids being preachy. Bong Joon-ho's odyssey has dark sense of humor and a lot of heart. Between The Host, Snowpiercer, and now Okja, he truly is one of the most unique science fiction visionaries working today.

22 | Mudbound

Quote:
Dee Rees' Mudbound is an underappreciated gem of a film. Not only is it about race in America during WWII, it's also about gender roles in both white and black households. The multiple hierarchies are fascinating. The abundance of shifting character perspectives may have been better suited for the miniseries format, but that feeling is only a testament to how much more time I would have liked to spend in this lived in world. I don't know how well remembered it will be, but being the first film to have a female cinematographer nominated for an Oscar will certainly cement its place in cinema history.

23 | Wind River

Quote:
Wind River is a Neo-Western murder mystery set on a beautiful snow covered mountainous Reservation. The cold white landscape amplifies the threat of the cold black hearts at the center of the mystery. I was invested in finding out who committed the crimes, but the way it's resolved turns everything on its head so abruptly that you feel as if you're in imminent danger right along with the lead characters. From the writer of Sicario and Hell or High Water, it's unsurprising that Taylor Sheridan crafted one of the most memorable character-driven thrillers of the year.

24 | Baby Driver

Quote:
Baby Driver is an achievement in editing. The editing to music sets the pace for what is easily one of the most energetic films of the year. It's probably the most musically inclined non-musical I've ever seen. It's bright, exuberant, and at times cutesy, but not without the darkness necessary to take the severity Baby's situation seriously. I'm just happy Edgar Wright finally got to execute his longstanding vision, and create yet another fun adult action movie. Not to mention, Christopher Plummer was great as Doc (that overused joke still sums up 2017 perfectly).

25 | Dunkirk

Quote:
Dunkirk lacks traditional character development, but we're put right in the middle of the action from frame one, making it impossible to not feel the characters' suffering. The only time we leave the action is when the perspective shifts to characters who are on their way into it themselves. Hate or love Christoper Nolan, his films are usually technical marvels, and Dunkirk is no different. Working WWII era airplanes flying among planes with IMAX cameras mounted onto their wings sharing a frame with burning ships in the ocean and hundreds of extras on the beach. On top of the sheer dread captured in the action set pieces, three timelines are interwoven to ratchet up the tension even more and keep a brisk pace from start to finish. The feeling of desperation is tangible.

Last edited by Mandalorian; 03-11-2018 at 07:15 PM.
Thanks given by:
Al_The_Strange (01-01-2018), cgpublic (01-01-2018), Darth Marcus (01-01-2018), Foggy (02-19-2018), GLaDOS (01-02-2018), Hucksta G (01-01-2018), Jasonic (02-26-2018), The Debts (01-01-2018), UltraMario9 (01-01-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 04:34 PM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteban² View Post
@thewerepuppygrr, nice visuals in the opening post.
Thanks man, means a lot coming from you!
Thanks given by:
DarkEco910 (01-18-2018), esteban² (01-05-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 04:36 PM   #20
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2013
ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewerepuppygrr View Post
Thanks man, means a lot coming from you!
Think you might make more from previous years?
Thanks given by:
J-Mart (01-01-2018)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Tags
2017, top 25, top films