Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Pet Sematary 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.00

Ralph Breaks the Internet 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.90

Halloween 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

First Man 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Birth of a Nation 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Black Hawk Down 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.08

Wild 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Hellboy II: The Golden Army 4K (Blu-ray)
$21.74

Mortal Engines 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Hell Fest 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.66

Field of Dreams 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.20
7 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies

Old 06-02-2018, 09:17 PM   #2841
Power Member

Dec 2009
Toronto, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonMagnum View Post
I read that originally they intention was to slowly convey the concept that the machines were actually preserving humanity until such a time that we learned to be less war-like and more likely to be able to respect the machines right to exist, etc. and that the whole Neo/Smith thing was really a test of sorts to determine if/when we were ready, but this was a really hard concept to convey in a movie that the "masses" simply wouldn't get on any kind of level beyond a cool Sci-Fi "Kung Fu" movie (which was needed to make it a hit so it could make money anyway).
I wish they'd stuck to that... it would've made for a much more satisfying story, overall. You can definitely still see the bones of that idea in the first film.
Old 06-03-2018, 01:18 AM   #2842
Power Member

Jan 2017

I'm on board with what you're saying @ TM2-Megatron. My subconscious secretly roots for Agent Smith. Digital life shouldn't necessarily be bound to the whims and directives of sentient robotics either.

Anyway, I think I remember reading that the Wachowski's original idea was going to be that human minds would provide more computational power, but it was decided that energy would be more understandable to an audience in an age where the internet and computers were still kind of far out, new things to many people. Back when we had movies like The Net and Hackers etc.
Old 06-03-2018, 01:40 AM   #2843
Expert Member

Nov 2017

I've read that was indeed the original plot device (an organic neural network of sorts), but I don't know how human minds could provide more computational power if the people are using them in their dream world Matrix environment. They'd need to be catatonic and rewired. In fact, just remove their brains and cybernetically insert them into a Terminator chassis and you'd still have an inferior Terminator (humans are notoriously lousy at repetitive tasks).

I like this guy's alternative idea for the plot. It does make a lot more sense with the "machine story" being a ruse instead because in reality humans destroyed the ecosystem and are hiding in the Matrix because the real world SUCKS with Neo bringing down the beautiful illusion, Cypher being the actual good guy trying to stop it all and the rest of the crew the remnants of the humans that didn't want to build the Matrix in the first place but its safeguards thus far have been too great to take it down (https://medium.com/@marknutter/the-m...n-54bcddc60e2b).
Old 06-03-2018, 04:42 AM   #2844
Blu-ray Guru

May 2007
Acworth, GA
Send a message via AIM to Croweyes1121

Quote:
What's amazing to me is how many think there WASN'T much green in the original. It was more noticeable in some scenes than others, but it never looked normal inside the Matrix.
I guess I’m amazing then. I saw this movie opening weekend and it 100% was NOT green inside the matrix. Maybe your screening differed from mine, but I remember it like it was yesterday, and absolutely nothing stuck out about the color grade in the matrix vs the real world scenes. TBH, I always thought this was a STRENGTH of the film, as we couldn’t tell when something was real or not any more than the characters could. The original laserdisc didn’t have the green grading in the matrix scenes and was prized for years as being more faithful to the original theatrical grading. FWIW.
Old 06-03-2018, 05:08 AM   #2845
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2009
Tejas

Down to $21.99 now at Best Buy.

Man, I think I’m done buying at Amazon since they don’t have a price adjustment policy like B.B. and Target do (2 weeks)!
Old 06-03-2018, 05:45 AM   #2846
Power Member

Jan 2017

Quote:
I like this guy's alternative idea for the plot. It does make a lot more sense with the "machine story" being a ruse instead because in reality humans destroyed the ecosystem and are hiding in the Matrix because the real world SUCKS with Neo bringing down the beautiful illusion, Cypher being the actual good guy trying to stop it all and the rest of the crew the remnants of the humans that didn't want to build the Matrix in the first place but its safeguards thus far have been too great to take it down (https://medium.com/@marknutter/the-m...n-54bcddc60e2b).
Well, that's what a lot of it seems to be a stand in for. Different degrees of oblivious and awareness, complacency vs deconstruction, and the mutual interest of opposing ideologies to suppress anarchist, nihilist anomalies like Agent Smith. The Matrix can just be all the things that have been imposed upon the human psyche throughout the ages, which we unwittingly acquiesce to and serve as proxies. Order is atrophied chaos.
Old 06-03-2018, 05:48 AM   #2847
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick22 View Post
Down to $21.99 now at Best Buy.

Man, I think Iím done buying at Amazon since they donít have a price adjustment policy like B.B. and Target do (2 weeks)!
Morherf***! I just bought it at Best Buy for its original price. At least it didn't cost me anything.
Old 06-03-2018, 05:51 AM   #2848
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2009
Tejas

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighthefutureofhd View Post
Morherf***! I just bought it at Best Buy for its original price. At least it didn't cost me anything.
Well at least you got it at BB. As long as itís within 14 days they should give you the difference.
Old 06-03-2018, 05:53 AM   #2849
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008

They won't. I didn't pay for it.
Old 06-03-2018, 06:00 AM   #2850
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2009
Tejas

Quote:
They won't. I didn't pay for it.
Haha okay Iím confused!
Old 06-03-2018, 06:04 AM   #2851
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2015
The City

Human battery wasn't believable even in '99. But we brushed it off. Sort of like time travel in films.

But these alternative concepts are interesting.
Old 06-03-2018, 06:08 AM   #2852
Expert Member

Oct 2012

Quote:
Don't believe those trying to make you think it wasn't really much green tinted in the theater. The old BD might be a bit overzealous (the original DVD should be spot on as it came out before the sequels), but from the screenshots I've seen of the new one, it's still closer to the theater than this new one that almost looks the same as the real world. I remember how many thought there was something wrong with the film when it came out because of the tint. Now to please those people we've gone to the opposite extreme?
I think you are misremembering (maybe confusing what people said about Reloaded with what they said about the original), there's some stills showing the original coloring on the archived version of the original Matrix website from 1999 and you can see there really is no green tint (the archived images may take a while to load but just wait and they'll show up). For example:

Some people have also made a digital scan of a 35mm print of the movie from the original theatrical run, it was made available on the same "myspleen" site where the "despecialized edition" of Star Wars first appeared (see the thread discussing it here), and a bunch of screenshots of this scan were posted here.

Last edited by Hypnosifl; 06-03-2018 at 06:19 AM.
Old 06-03-2018, 06:09 AM   #2853
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2010
Denmark

I loved rewatching this and it looked amazing! However, I canít help but wonder how it would have looked with all the grain intact, in other words how it would have looked as a Sony release.
Of course that would have meant no Dolby Vision though.
Old 06-03-2018, 06:09 AM   #2854
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick22 View Post
Haha okay Iím confused!
My brother had a $35 certificate that he gave to me. I paired the matrix with the new Dave Matthews band CD. Iended up only paying for the Dave Matthews band cd. Hence the free part.
Thanks given by:
maverick22 (06-03-2018)
Old 06-03-2018, 06:13 AM   #2855
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristoffer View Post
I loved rewatching this and it looked amazing! However, I canít help but wonder how it would have looked with all the grain intact, in other words how it would have looked as a Sony release.
Of course that would have meant no Dolby Vision though.

Ugh! Here we go again. I thought the grain is intact on this release. I swear you could put the Sony logo on something like grease and people would think it's the best catalog release so far.
Old 06-03-2018, 06:21 AM   #2856
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2011
Reading, England SteelBooksô480 Slipcovers:650

Quote:
Ugh! Here we go again. I thought the grain is intact on this release. I swear you could put the Sony logo on something like grease and people would think it's the best catalog release so far.
I agree. The grain was intact in this and very visible
Old 06-03-2018, 06:25 AM   #2857
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2009
Tejas

Quote:
My brother had a $35 certificate that he gave to me. I paired the matrix with the new Dave Matthews band CD. Iended up only paying for the Dave Matthews band cd. Hence the free part.
Maybe they would still put the difference on a gift card or something. Might be worth a shot.
Old 06-03-2018, 06:30 AM   #2858
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008

No, in order to use the certificate the amount has to be over $35.00. I tried all this Thursday with Best Buy chat support.
Old 06-03-2018, 06:38 AM   #2859
Power Member

Jan 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJez View Post
I agree. The grain was intact in this and very visible
Yeah, this release is graincore.
Old 06-03-2018, 08:09 AM   #2860
Banned

Apr 2016

Have any of you guys seen this one? To me it makes alot of sense
Thanks given by:
LoSouL (06-03-2018)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies