Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Ralph Breaks the Internet (Blu-ray)
$24.99
9 hrs ago
Glass 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.95
21 hrs ago
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Bumblebee 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Creed II 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Creed II (Blu-ray)
$25.49

Robin Hood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

BlacKkKlansman 4K (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Robin Hood (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Girl in the Spider's Web (Blu-ray)
$19.95

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Bumblebee (Blu-ray)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Asia

Old 04-12-2018, 06:26 AM   #1

Mar 2012
China
Post China Film Archive announce its first 4K restorations

China Film Archive will present its first 4K restorations of The Yellow Earth and The Horse Thief at Beijing International Film Festival this year. These are the first 4K restorations done by Chinese archive itself.

Judging from the screenshots of The Yellow Earth, it's a huge leap from the nearly unwatchable old DVD, also the aspect ratio was restored into 1.66:1, more information on top and bottom were revealed, I remember many awkward composition in the old DVD, the new restored version should improve these problems.

Now here's the unbelievable thing, the China Film Archive said they used the software to add the frames when restoring The Horse Thief and produced the new restoration in 48fps. WTF??????? Such kind of act make no difference than coloring a B&W film when restoring it, what the hell were they thinking??? And the Archive seems very proud of it and state it "the first to do this in the whole world"...

Anyway, I just hope the new restoration of The Yellow Earth could eventually release on blu-ray, though I know there's very little hope.
Thanks given by:
Asiania (05-16-2018), thisgenius (04-12-2018)
Old 04-12-2018, 06:48 AM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2013
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by qw0aszx View Post
China Film Archive will present its first 4K restorations of The Yellow Earth and The Horse Thief at Beijing International Film Festival this year. These are the first 4K restorations done by Chinese archive itself.

Judging from the screenshots of The Yellow Earth, it's a huge leap from the nearly unwatchable old DVD, also the aspect ratio was restored into 1.66:1, more information on top and bottom were revealed, I remember many awkward composition in the old DVD, the new restored version should improve these problems.

Now here's the unbelievable thing, the China Film Archive said they used the software to add the frames when restoring The Horse Thief and produced the new restoration in 48fps. WTF??????? Such kind of act make no difference than coloring a B&W film when restoring it, what the hell were they thinking??? And the Archive seems very proud of it and state it "the first to do this in the whole world"...

Anyway, I just hope the new restoration of The Yellow Earth could eventually release on blu-ray, though I know there's very little hope.

Old 04-13-2018, 09:19 AM   #3

Mar 2012
China

Quote:
Originally Posted by reason108 View Post
Someone back from the screening of 4K restored The Horse Thief said not only the 48fps is quite distracting, DNR also applied, film grain is barely visible. There's a lot mess China Film Archive did on restoring films but I think The Horse Thief 4K restoration is the most ridiculous by far.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Asia