Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Black Friday Deals are Now Live »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Menace II Society 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
9 hrs ago
A Clockwork Orange 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
20 hrs ago
The Flash: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
22 hrs ago
Batwoman: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
18 hrs ago
Tenet 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
6 hrs ago
Smallville: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$133.69

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$33.00
1 day ago
The Guns of Navarone 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99
1 day ago
Supernatural: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$184.27

Shaun of the Dead 4K / Hot Fuzz 4K / The World's End 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

John Wick: Chapters 1-3 (Blu-ray)
$14.99
1 day ago
F9: The Fast Saga (Blu-ray)
$9.00
13 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 04-09-2021, 04:18 AM   #321
Blu-ray Champion

Nov 2009
California

I've finally been watching episodes on Paramount+ over the last couple days, and it looks great in HD. Of all the episodes only one of them, "Ghost Ship" (the bigfoot episode), had some SD shots. If there were any in the rest of the episodes I didn't notice them, but those ones really stood out. They were brief, though.

Unlike a lot of other shows I watched as a kid, MacGyver isn't one I really kept up with in reruns after it ended, so it's been fun to revisit the show as I jump around watching the episodes I remember the best. If the complete series ever comes to Blu-ray I'd been tempted to pick it up, but I hope they also include the two TV films.
Old 07-20-2021, 08:30 PM   #322
Blu-ray Archduke

Jun 2012
NJ

The search function on this site sucks. Why was this thread buried on Page 4 after I entered "MacGyver"

Anyway, with Paramount's renewed interest in physical media, any possibility of the studio finally releasing the complete series set?
Old 07-20-2021, 09:47 PM   #323
Power Member

Aug 2010
BodÝ, Norway

Probably not. If i was you, i would wait for the complete series that will be released in Germany.
Old 07-20-2021, 10:06 PM   #324
Banned

May 2009
Naples, Italy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael24 View Post
I've finally been watching episodes on Paramount+ over the last couple days, and it looks great in HD. Of all the episodes only one of them, "Ghost Ship" (the bigfoot episode), had some SD shots. .
Are you sure?
Old 07-20-2021, 10:15 PM   #325
Blu-ray Champion

Nov 2009
California

It's been a few months now, but I remember them looking like SD shots.
Thanks given by:
UniSol GR77 (07-21-2021)
Old 07-20-2021, 10:18 PM   #326
Blu-ray Archduke

Jun 2012
NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jompa View Post
Probably not. If i was you, i would wait for the complete series that will be released in Germany.
From Koch? Don't they ship inside of Europe exclusively? I'm in New York.
Old 07-20-2021, 10:49 PM   #327

Jun 2020
BogotŠ, Colombia

Ive been watching it in streaming and it does look fantastic. Its a series for kids in many ways but I enjoy some of the episodes, and always liked RDA, if it ever gets released in a complete form, hopefully with extras, I'll buy it without hesitation.
Old 07-21-2021, 12:12 PM   #328
Power Member

Aug 2010
BodÝ, Norway
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema84 View Post
From Koch? Don't they ship inside of Europe exclusively? I'm in New York.
Yes, you are correct. But, a German member of this forum said he will ship it to folks who can't order it. You just pay him the money using PayPal and you get your stuff. He ordered the German Miami Vice set for me and i got it. He is reliable. Nice guy
Old 07-21-2021, 01:44 PM   #329
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2013
Missouri

The set will be coming next year.. Streets of San fransico next in line from koch.
Thanks given by:
Jompa (07-21-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 01:44 PM   #330
Blu-ray Archduke

Jun 2012
NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jompa View Post
Yes, you are correct. But, a German member of this forum said he will ship it to folks who can't order it. You just pay him the money using PayPal and you get your stuff. He ordered the German Miami Vice set for me and i got it. He is reliable. Nice guy
He did the same for me

I think I'm going to wait this time. We got a Mission Impossible complete series set last year so there's a chance for MacGyver.
Thanks given by:
Jompa (07-21-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 03:15 PM   #331

Feb 2009
Switzerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael24 View Post
I've finally been watching episodes on Paramount+ over the last couple days, and it looks great in HD. Of all the episodes only one of them, "Ghost Ship" (the bigfoot episode), had some SD shots.
There are A LOT more Episodes with SD Shots than just one.
Or did you mean from the ones you watched?
How many did you watch? Which Season?
Thanks given by:
UniSol GR77 (07-21-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 03:34 PM   #332
Banned

May 2009
Naples, Italy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissHD View Post
I guess only the archive footage culled from documentaries and films is SD. Example: "Trumbo's World"?
Old 07-21-2021, 04:32 PM   #333

Feb 2009
Switzerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniSol GR77 View Post
I guess only the archive footage culled from documentaries and films is SD. Example: "Trumbo's World"?
No. Some normal Scenes also switch back from HD to SD cause either way they couldnt find the footage or the software used couldnt identify it correctly.
As far as i know those conforming things are done with software today and not with manpower like back in the TNG Remastering.
Thing is...using software is cheaper But manpower does the better job. See TNG.

Theres actually a fair amount of SD Shots in MacGyver unfortunately. See Season 1 Blu Rays. I dont know if it got better with later Seasons cause i didnt watch a lot from the HDTV Versions.
Thanks given by:
UniSol GR77 (07-21-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 06:52 PM   #334
Banned

May 2009
Naples, Italy.

Quote:
No. Some normal Scenes also switch back from HD to SD cause either way they couldnt find the footage or the software used couldnt identify it correctly.
It sucks.
Old 07-21-2021, 06:57 PM   #335
Blu-ray Champion

Nov 2009
California

Quote:
Yeah, I was only talking about from the select episodes that I watched. I haven't set about to re-watch the show in its entirety from season one, but when I saw it was available I spent a few nights watching some of the episodes I remembered the most. I watched several episodes, spread across the series, and from those I only noticed SD shots in one of them.
Thanks given by:
UniSol GR77 (07-22-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 10:30 PM   #336
Blu-ray Emperor

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
As far as i know those conforming things are done with software today and not with manpower like back in the TNG Remastering.
Thing is...using software is cheaper But manpower does the better job. See TNG.

Theres actually a fair amount of SD Shots in MacGyver unfortunately. See Season 1 Blu Rays. I dont know if it got better with later Seasons cause i didnt watch a lot from the HDTV Versions.
Without a process like iConform then itís possible some film-based shows would remain in SD purgatory as it would be too expensive to conform it all manually. Best to have an automated process do the heavy lifting and then finesse the rest, if the budget stretches that far. But then itís not like the computer physically pulls the film and scans it, does it? The computer can only conform what itís being fed, which has been located and physically handled by a hooman bean. And if that hooman didnít manage to find everything, what then?

But since when was TNGís remaster perfickly arranged with no SD inserts whatsoever? Sometimes stuff really goes get lost/mislaid, rather than pinning the blame on an automated process, and not every archive is going to be 100% complete. Didnít they actually find the negative for some SD shots in TNG like years later when pulling the film for the later seasons? Shit happens.
Old 07-22-2021, 10:18 AM   #337

Feb 2009
Switzerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Without a process like iConform then itís possible some film-based shows would remain in SD purgatory as it would be too expensive to conform it all manually.
Oh dont get me wrong.
Im happy that was invented. It helps to bring more SD Post Produced Shows to High Definition.

Quote:
But then itís not like the computer physically pulls the film and scans it, does it? The computer can only conform what itís being fed, which has been located and physically handled by a hooman bean. And if that hooman didnít manage to find everything, what then?
Of course there is always the possibility of not finding the footage.
But still in my opionion TNG was done with special care never seen after that project. And i think its because TNG cost a ton
They needed to do that cheaper and i think nowadays those things arent that carefully done like it was with tng back in the day. Only because it has to go faster and cheaper.

But im still happy those shows get a HD treatment at all now. Thats for sure.

Quote:
But since when was TNGís remaster perfickly arranged with no SD inserts whatsoever?
There are only a couple of SD Shots in TNG which is a miracle.
Part of what made that possible were the people that hunted down the footage and the time they had for it. It was also discussed in interviews and stuff.
Its a major part of such a rebuild.

Im very happy with MacGyver btw. So that was not a rant against that remastering.
MacGyver never looked better. And its a fookin miracle we can watch it like that!
Thanks given by:
UniSol GR77 (07-23-2021)
Old 07-22-2021, 10:51 AM   #338
Blu-ray Emperor

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

And yet S2 of TNG was sloppy as hell because they farmed it out to Illuminate, so while it’s still the gold standard for HD rebuilds it’s not the gold-pressed latinum of HD rebuilds. Nothing’s perfick is the point
Old 09-14-2021, 07:22 AM   #339

Oct 2016

33 Discs (BD-R)
Label: CBS MOD
Release date: 11/2/21

https://www.amazon.com/-/de/dp/B09FTGHK11/
Thanks given by:
JediJones77 (10-27-2021)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America