Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Ultraseven: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$9.99
1 hr ago
The Godfather Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$139.99

No Time to Die 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

RoboCop 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99

An American Werewolf in London 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.99

Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

RoboCop 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.99

Jungle Cruise 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.90
2 hrs ago
Dead Heat 4K (Blu-ray)
$33.49
8 hrs ago
Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.99

Ghostbusters: Afterlife 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

The Lover 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 03-18-2019, 12:21 PM   #281
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2012

Great to here they have given the Streetfighter films filmic transfers and the caps show a nice helping of grain, as it should have.
Will definitely watch the Japanese audio with English subs for the first viewing and on a repeat viewing, will watch the English dub.

The English dub sounds like a larf, from what I’ve heard of it on viewing True Romance.
Will be interesting to see how much is lost in translation with the SF English dub.

Only other Japanese film I have as a frame of reference for how poor a dub is Akira.
I owned the original English dubbed VHS up until I bought the BD. Due to viewing Akira many times, I was very familiar with the original English dub.
Was quite surprised to how different the actual dialogue was when watching the Japanese audio when reading the subs. There were quite a few liberties taken with the English dub.

I did 3 years of Japanese in high school, so I can usually pick up 10-15% of the dialogue in Japanese films (“tourist” level Japanese is what I call my rudimentary understanding of the language).
So when I watched Spirited Away recently, I sometimes catch some bad subtitling (eg. The father shouting “Sumimasen!” at an unattended restaurant was subtitled with an “Anyone there?” when the literal translation is “Excuse me”), I hope they have used a seasoned translator for the Streetfighter Collection.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:35 PM   #282
Special Member

Apr 2011
Mississippi, U.S.

Found a review with lotsa screengrabs!

http://www.rockshockpop.com/forums/c...Blu-ray-Review

This set can't get into my hands fast enough!!

Last edited by FlyBry; 03-20-2019 at 10:43 PM.
Thanks given by:
Jompa (03-21-2019), OldPangYau (03-21-2019), shukocarl (03-20-2019), sonny gaunt (03-21-2019), Stanis (03-20-2019), StarDestroyer52 (03-20-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 02:45 AM   #283
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011

Is this on Amazon? Can I finally retire my PAL trilogy set?
Old 03-21-2019, 03:25 AM   #284
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2017
いえ の なか で

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138 View Post
Is this on Amazon? Can I finally retire my PAL trilogy set?
..... I should get sarcastic, but here, I'll do all the work of going to Amazon's website, typing in the title of the set and copying the link for you.
Thanks given by:
FlyBry (03-21-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 04:09 AM   #285

Oct 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltb2.0 View Post
..... I should get sarcastic, but here, I'll do all the work of going to Amazon's website, typing in the title of the set and copying the link for you.
Could you do the same for me? Thanks in advance.
Thanks given by:
FlyBry (03-21-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 04:12 AM   #286
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2012
Funkytown

My typing finger is sore. Can you hook me up with a link too? Thank you kindly!
Thanks given by:
sonny gaunt (03-21-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 04:16 AM   #287
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBry View Post
Found a review with lotsa screengrabs!

http://www.rockshockpop.com/forums/c...Blu-ray-Review

This set can't get into my hands fast enough!!
A bit unfortunate that The Street Fighter's Last Revenge had to resort to SD inserts for the unrated footage in the Japanese cut, but this is still easily the best release of these films out there. Until Arrow scoops up UK rights and does new scans of the Japanese cuts from scratch, I can't see these getting a better release.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:43 PM   #288

Dec 2011
Japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPangYau View Post
Until Arrow scoops up UK rights and does new scans of the Japanese cuts from scratch
They don't need to. They can just use Toei's existing HD scans...

Well, for the third film at least since it has been streaming in HD for years.

The last time Toei Channel showed Return it was also marked HD. I don't know if it was new or old scan, but the Toei DVD from a decade ago was excellent so might not matter.

The first film I don't recall seeing broadcast / streamed in HD anywere. And Toei's DVD was really soft so that source wouldn't suffice for BD I guess...
Old 03-21-2019, 03:43 PM   #289
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takuma View Post
They don't need to. They can just use Toei's existing HD scans...

Well, for the third film at least since it has been streaming in HD for years.

The last time Toei Channel showed Return it was also marked HD. I don't know if it was new or old scan, but the Toei DVD from a decade ago was excellent so might not matter.

The first film I don't recall seeing broadcast / streamed in HD anywere. And Toei's DVD was really soft so that source wouldn't suffice for BD I guess...
The sad irony is that it's the third film, Revenge, that uses SD inserts . Granted, it's everyone's least favorite of the trilogy, but still. Also not sure why Return needed a second (thankfully HD) source since New Line had an unrated version (which looks consistent from start to finish) when they made the laserdisc 20+ years ago.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:45 PM   #290
Blu-ray Count

Aug 2012
California

Was going to order this from Amazon, but it says they don't know when it will be delivered, so I didn't pre-order. Normally with Shout! and Amazon, it normally says it will be delivered on day of release.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:30 PM   #291
Expert Member

Jan 2015
-
-
-

diabolikdvd marked as shipped
Old 03-21-2019, 05:33 PM   #292
Expert Member

Sep 2009

I am so looking forward to this release. As a fan of the first film, I could never tell if the film was legitimate or a parody. Chiba's facial expressions do not verge on comedic-they are De Niro over the top ham fests to the Nth degree! Chiba's smelling his fingers, then wiping them on the eye gouged victim, seems a nod to Chaing's(two years earlier) Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires, the castration(testicle removal actually), and the forever memorable "Street Fighter Dummy" scene make this a cult classic above the bar!
Old 03-21-2019, 05:44 PM   #293
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2009
Canada

Quote:
Can you order it and ship to me please? Thanks.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:57 PM   #294
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2010
-
-
-
-

Quote:
How much does it cost?
Old 03-21-2019, 08:55 PM   #295

Jul 2012
Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Grimes View Post
So when I watched Spirited Away recently, I sometimes catch some bad subtitling (eg. The father shouting “Sumimasen!” at an unattended restaurant was subtitled with an “Anyone there?” when the literal translation is “Excuse me”), I hope they have used a seasoned translator for the Streetfighter Collection.
That actually isn’t a bad translation. Translation takes into account cultural differences, and in this case if Chihiro’s father were speaking English he likely would have said, “anyone there.” Just like how “hai” in certain situations means “no.” Although “excuse me” wouldn’t be a bad translation, given his character I think “anyone there” is more appropriate. Just my two cents.
Thanks given by:
Rick Grimes (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 09:26 PM   #296
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2010
Ontario, Canada

Checked my order on Amazon.ca and it’s now saying currently unavailable. Amazon.ca is really hitting rock bottom lately. Of course it happens to my most anticipated BD release of the year.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:45 PM   #297
Blu-ray Count

Aug 2012
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROSS.T.G. View Post
Checked my order on Amazon.ca and it’s now saying currently unavailable. Amazon.ca is really hitting rock bottom lately. Of course it happens to my most anticipated BD release of the year.
Yeah, my Amazon order currently says they don't have any information as to when I will get my pre-order in. Close to cancelling it, and just ordering from Diabolik.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:08 PM   #298
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by joekun View Post
That actually isn’t a bad translation. Translation takes into account cultural differences, and in this case if Chihiro’s father were speaking English he likely would have said, “anyone there.” Just like how “hai” in certain situations means “no.” Although “excuse me” wouldn’t be a bad translation, given his character I think “anyone there” is more appropriate. Just my two cents.
I see your point, but in this case, I really don’t think it should have been changed. When crying out “Sumimasen?” IMHO, it felt like the father really was exclaiming “Excuse me?” like you would in that situation (about to pig out on food at an unattended restaurant). The literal translation would have been a lot more appropriate, especially since I also know that ”Dareka imasu ka?” is how you would say “Is anyone there?” in Japanese.

There was also another situation where “Eh” was used, which is more akin culturally to “Huh?” or “What?” but something else was used. I have to go back and check, but it is really interesting to also note differences in the UK and Aussie translations.
Translations for subtitles are not a perfect science. But I have often found dubs are worse, especially with Akira, where often, very different things are spoken.

All in all, it can be frustrating knowing a bit of a language and reading the subtitles. As an extreme example of this phenomenon, my Dutch friend who can speak German has trouble enjoying those You Tube clips of Hitler rant parodies from the German film Downfall, where the translation slams the Prequels, reacts to Trump winning the US election and other various pop culture references. My friend says he just can’t get into it because he is understanding the words and trying to read the “false” subtitling set-up for comedic purposes... It just doesn’t work.

https://m.youtube.com/user/hitlerrantsparodies

Kind of what happens when I read English subs for Japanese audio and there have been some liberties taken with changing the translation, sometimes for better, but often for worse.

I hope the Shout Factory subtitles, while obviously needing to consider culturally appropriate translations, also does consider that quite often, the literal translation does not need to be modified.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:11 PM   #299

Jan 2016
Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROSS.T.G. View Post
Yeah, this has been happening with almost every new release that is not from a major studio. I was given about 5 different stories about Sister Street Fighter (which Amazon still does not have in stock) as to why they haven't/didn't have stock. It's gotten really bad the past 3-4 months with no, or unavailable stock, on many different films and distributors.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:44 PM   #300
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2010
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeTogo84 View Post
Yeah, my Amazon order currently says they don't have any information as to when I will get my pre-order in. Close to cancelling it, and just ordering from Diabolik.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodAsBlu View Post
Yeah, this has been happening with almost every new release that is not from a major studio. I was given about 5 different stories about Sister Street Fighter (which Amazon still does not have in stock) as to why they haven't/didn't have stock. It's gotten really bad the past 3-4 months with no, or unavailable stock, on many different films and distributors.
I’ve really lost love for them. I ordered it back in December. I wonder if it’s an issue with SF. I know I’ve run into it before with SF and Amazon.

This better come in next week.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America