Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
 
Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954-1975 (Blu-ray)
$112.49
 
Beverly Hills Cop Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$22.99
20 hrs ago
Mission: Impossible - 6-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$50.39
 
Teen Titans: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$38.49
 
The Secret Life of Pets 2 (Blu-ray)
$12.99
 
The Perils of Gwendoline in the Land of the Yik Yak (Blu-ray)
$22.99
12 hrs ago
Star Trek: Discovery - Season Two (Blu-ray)
$34.99
 
Ad Astra 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
Jurassic World: 5-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.99
 
Terminator: Dark Fate (Blu-ray)
$22.99
 
Semi-Tough (Blu-ray)
$19.89
2 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2018, 12:49 PM   #1
DawnShadow DawnShadow is offline
Special Member
 
Aug 2014
12
Warner Bros Popeye the Sailor: The 1940s, Volume 1 (1943-1945)



Popeye the Sailor: The 1940s, Volume 1 Blu-ray

Popeye the Sailor: The 1940s, Volume 2 Blu-ray

Popeye the Sailor: The 1940s, Volume 3 Blu-ray



https://www.wbshop.com/products/pope...0s-volume-1-bd
Note : Link will only work if you copy and paste it.


For anyone looking to purchase in Australia, totals to $31.88 AUD from WowHD (that’s including GST and postage):
https://www.wowhd.com.au/popeye-the-...1/888574770709

Might want to grab it ASAP since they currently have free international postage (not sure if they always do) and the price currently converts to less than the US one so they might change it.




Quote:
Presenting POPEYE THE SAILOR: The 1940s Vol. 1 (Warner Archive Collection) Street Date: 12/11/18.

Here we go again. To all of you who wish and hope the vaults of Warner Bros. could reopen to allow more of the classic cartoon treasures to emerge – Now is your time. Here’s what you can do to help (Take Two).

Last year I used whatever super powers I had to make a set of black and white Porky Pig cartoons available in an effort to convince to the studio there was an audience out there for such compilations. After several bumps in the road the set eventually broke even. But “brake even” isn’t good enough for a mega corporation. Long story short – we have one more shot. One. This is it. Perhaps a set of color cartoons, films the collectors do not have, or never had on home video (no VHS, no previous DVD or cable broadcast). A small set – 14 cartoons perhaps.

Here it is – a continuation of the Paramount Popeye cartoons. The next 14. No frills, no bonus materials, no audio commentaries. Transferred from the original Technicolor negatives. Jim Tyer animation. Politically incorrect shorts, uncut. The set will be available, separately, on both DVD and blu-ray.

The website to pre-order is supposedly going up today and we will update this post with the link when we get it. I highly recommend this set – I think you will be pleased. The frame grabs below were snapped off my living room flat screen by my iPhone, off the blu-ray. If this looks good to you – I ask that you pre-order, or order it in December. Let’s prove to Warner Bros. that we want further volumes of Popeye 1940s and 1950s – and we want more Warner and MGM cartoons restored and released. It’s seriously up to you.
Quote:
POPEYE THE SAILOR: The 1940s, VOLUME ONE (1943-1945)
NEW 2018 1080p HD MASTERS CREATED FROM 4K SCANS OF THE ORIGINAL NITRATE TECHNICOLOR NEGATIVES
Run Time 99:00
Subtitles English SDH
Sound Quality DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English
Aspect Ratio 4 X 3 FULL FRAME, ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO - 1.37:1
Product Color COLOR
Disc Configuration BD 50

Lost at sea for decades – this set collects the first two Technicolor® seasons of Popeye’s animated theatrical shorts (1943-44 and 1944-45), making them available for the first time ever on home video: complete, intact and outrageously funny. What else would you expect from a two-fisted, spinach-munching sailor man?

The 1940s brought new sights and sounds to America’s favorite cartoon star. Regulars Olive Oyl and Bluto return, while Popeye resumes his riotous relationship with his shipmate Shorty and his naughty nephews Pipeye, Poopeye, Peepeye and Pupeye. With the addition of full color, cartoonists were now free to let loose with journeys to exotic lands and give Popeye a fresh stock of new friends and foes.

But it’s the eternal love triangle, Popeye and Bluto competing for the attention of Olive, that drives the majority of these zany situations – as well as the hilarious action-packed gags. Whether our heroes are posing as circus acrobats or puppeteers or even taking turns at being Superman, these gems from the Golden Age of Hollywood will blow you down with laughter.

Collection includes Her Honor, The Mare; The Marry-Go-Round; We're On Our Way To Rio; The Anvil Chorus Girl; Spinach Packin' Popeye; Puppet Love; Pitchin' Woo At The Zoo; Moving Aweigh; She-Sick Sailors; Pop-Pie A La Mode; Tops In The Big Top; Shape Ahoy; For Better Or Nurse; Mess Production. Popeye the Sailor: The 1940s
Volume 1 is intended for the Adult Collector and May Not Be Suitable for Children. Also available on DVD!
Source : http://cartoonresearch.com/index.php...es-on-records/
https://www.facebook.com/warnerarchi...&__tn__=EEHH-R

popaye.jpg

Last edited by Deciazulado; 08-29-2019 at 01:55 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
1234567? (11-20-2018), Abdrewes (11-23-2018), abdurahman (12-04-2018), AKNewbie (11-20-2018), AmishParadise (11-21-2018), Antiochus (11-20-2018), BarnDoor (11-20-2018), Batman2 (12-10-2018), benji888578 (11-22-2018), bigjim25 (11-21-2018), BluBlazes (11-20-2018), BlurayBascom (11-20-2018), captainjoe (12-07-2018), cjamescook (11-23-2018), Colorado Rockie (11-21-2018), D00mM4r1n3 (11-20-2018), Dailyan (11-20-2018), Dan_Shane (11-27-2018), Davidian (11-20-2018), Deadguy2322 (11-20-2018), disneygeek98 (11-21-2018), drak b (11-20-2018), drdare (11-20-2018), dsfan1 (11-20-2018), EManT2200 (11-20-2018), GeoffOliver (11-20-2018), gkolb (11-24-2018), gpn (11-20-2018), hawkangel (11-21-2018), HeavyHitter (11-22-2018), Horse_Hockey (11-21-2018), InLikeFlynn (11-23-2018), jedidarrick (11-22-2018), jimqk (11-21-2018), John_Drake (11-20-2018), kaden1108 (11-20-2018), Leviathan (12-11-2018), MackieMesser (11-20-2018), mhp68 (11-20-2018), Monterey Jack (11-20-2018), movieben1138 (11-20-2018), Nailwraps (11-20-2018), NLScavenger (11-20-2018), nonlpb (11-21-2018), NVllyRnnr (11-21-2018), Page14 (11-20-2018), panasonicst60 (12-05-2018), Peter G. Keller (11-21-2018), Ponder Stibbons (12-05-2018), professorwho (11-21-2018), Pulp Hero (11-20-2018), Richard--W (11-27-2018), robtadrian (11-20-2018), sfish (11-20-2018), Shon Encinas (11-21-2018), solaris72 (11-20-2018), Spooked (11-20-2018), Starchild (11-21-2018), stardragon9 (11-20-2018), SwatDB (11-25-2018), taymo016 (11-20-2018), The Valeyard (11-20-2018), Treadwell (11-21-2018), Vw Driver (01-17-2019), WBMakeVMarsMovieNOW (11-24-2018), whiteberry (11-20-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 01:23 PM   #2
NeMo_ET NeMo_ET is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
NeMo_ET's Avatar
 
Jan 2013
Canada
37
1385
94
Default

This is fantastic!
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 01:28 PM   #3
Leviathan Leviathan is offline
Senior Member
 
Oct 2011
30
Default

Definitely going to be pre-ordering these sets.

Though I have to question, what kind of prospects does animation have at WAC if turning a profit isn't "good enough" for them? What kind of margins are they getting off of restoring and releasing movies like Mame?
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 01:34 PM   #4
MackieMesser MackieMesser is offline
New Member
 
Nov 2015
Chicago IL
79
1547
115
99
Default

Wonder why they didn't start with the original Fleischer cartoons.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Batman2 (12-10-2018), Darkstream (11-21-2018), hammer99 (11-22-2018), kaden1108 (11-20-2018), Monterey Jack (11-20-2018), Peter G. Keller (11-21-2018), whiteberry (11-20-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 01:40 PM   #5
Leviathan Leviathan is offline
Senior Member
 
Oct 2011
30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MackieMesser View Post
Wonder why they didn't start with the original Fleischer cartoons.
Ditto, especially since they had already been restored back in 2007-2008.

It seems like they started with Popeye since there's no movie attached to him. Space Jam 2 is humming along and just got an eight-figure tax credit, which will probably be the catalyst for more WB shorts. And there's a Tom and Jerry movie on the horizon now.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
jedidarrick (11-22-2018), robtadrian (11-20-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 01:42 PM   #6
DawnShadow DawnShadow is offline
Special Member
 
Aug 2014
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan View Post
Ditto, especially since they had already been restored back in 2007-2008.

It seems like they started with Popeye since there's no movie attached to him. Space Jam 2 is humming along and just got an eight-figure tax credit, which will probably be the catalyst for more WB shorts. And there's a Tom and Jerry movie on the horizon now.
They made that choice because they knew most collectors would want them to pick up where they left off and a volume full of new to home video shorts would round up the most sales.

I and I’d assume all of us here would prefer for everything to be released on Blu-Ray but sadly there are still people around who will probably be ordering the DVD edition of this set just to save $5 as it doesn’t make a difference to them. And those numbers add up sadly :/
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
curiouser1228 (12-08-2018), jimqk (11-21-2018), sa5150 (11-21-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 01:49 PM   #7
Leviathan Leviathan is offline
Senior Member
 
Oct 2011
30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnShadow View Post
I and I’d assume all of us here would prefer for everything to be released on Blu-Ray but sadly there are still people around who will probably be ordering the DVD edition of this set just to save $5 as it doesn’t make a difference to them. And those numbers add up sadly :/
The rub is, they already have Blu-Ray friendly masters of those shorts, so it'd be different from having to restore AND release them.

There are tons of Looney Tunes shorts that were restored in the Golden Collection days that aren't on Blu-Ray, even though HD masters exist. Some of them are even streaming on Amazon and elsewhere.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
SwatDB (11-25-2018), WBMakeVMarsMovieNOW (11-24-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 01:53 PM   #8
DawnShadow DawnShadow is offline
Special Member
 
Aug 2014
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan View Post
The rub is, they already have Blu-Ray friendly masters of those shorts, so it'd be different from having to restore AND release them.

There are tons of Looney Tunes shorts that were restored in the Golden Collection days that aren't on Blu-Ray, even though HD masters exist. Some of them are even streaming on Amazon and elsewhere.
Jerry Beck usually has a lot of influence in these releases though, and I think he is more interested in getting the unreleased stuff out there. At least with this release we have the Blu-Ray option and if enough of us take it, it will give them incentive to re-release the other three volumes on Blu-Ray. It’s quire a possibility too since the older volumes are now OOP and going for inflated prices. Porky Pig 101 really was a dead end.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Horse_Hockey (11-21-2018), jedidarrick (11-22-2018), jimqk (11-21-2018), moreotter (11-30-2018), panasonicst60 (12-05-2018), SwatDB (11-25-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 02:00 PM   #9
Leviathan Leviathan is offline
Senior Member
 
Oct 2011
30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnShadow View Post
Jerry Beck usually has a lot of influence in these releases though, and I think he is more interested in getting the unreleased stuff out there. At least with this release we have the Blu-Ray option and if enough of us take it, it will give them incentive to re-release the other three volumes on Blu-Ray. It’s quire a possibility too since the older volumes are now OOP and going for inflated prices. Porky Pig 101 really was a dead end.
That stands to reason.

MY guess is that these new restorations will also be used to replace the crummy 1980's videotape copies of these cartoons that are on Boomerang (the streaming service).
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 02:02 PM   #10
Qaenos Qaenos is offline
Active Member
 
Oct 2012
Default

I can take it or leave it with Popeye cartoons, personally, but I will support this. Warner Archive does a great job and I want to see more classic content, particularly animation, get a decent Blu-ray release. I'll be ordering.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
cjamescook (11-23-2018), curiouser1228 (12-08-2018), panasonicst60 (12-05-2018), Peter G. Keller (11-21-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 02:09 PM   #11
AgentOrange AgentOrange is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Jul 2011
36
1806
69
3
10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan View Post
Definitely going to be pre-ordering these sets.

Though I have to question, what kind of prospects does animation have at WAC if turning a profit isn't "good enough" for them? What kind of margins are they getting off of restoring and releasing movies like Mame?
Good question. Why are classic cartoons seemingly treated differently than any other random Warner Archive release? Just seems odd. There's quite a few WAC releases that I look at and wonder how many sales they could possibly get. Many of them must sell in the very low thousands.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of toons (no knowledge about what I'm "missing"). But I enjoy the occasional odd release (I do have all 3 blu-ray volumes of Looney Tunes and a few other random collections). This Popeye release sounds like something I'd get, I don't think I've seen a full Popeye cartoon anywhere in at least 20 years, although I'm not going to fall for the "buy it now or this is the end!!!!!" rubbish. I do hope it generally sells well enough though to encourage more releases - particularly Looney Tunes and Tom and Jerry.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 02:12 PM   #12
DawnShadow DawnShadow is offline
Special Member
 
Aug 2014
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan View Post
MY guess is that these new restorations will also be used to replace the crummy 1980's videotape copies of these cartoons that are on Boomerang (the streaming service).
They’d already removed three of them due to whatever they deemed innapropriate to my knowledge, maybe even more at this point. So hopefully people are smart enough to support these releases instead of Boomerang, since these will hopefully not omit any cartoons since they are continuing to aim them at collectors.

With them releasing all these cartoons unaltered now I really do fail to see the logic behind stalling the Tom and Jerry sets.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
panasonicst60 (12-05-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 02:18 PM   #13
Leviathan Leviathan is offline
Senior Member
 
Oct 2011
30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnShadow View Post
With them releasing all these cartoons unaltered now I really do fail to see the logic behind stalling the Tom and Jerry sets.
I really wonder if it would be easier for WAC to make a case for the missing Tom and Jerry cartoons than it was for WHV retail, since there's almost zero chance of a soccer mom or kids stumbling upon an online-only MOD release compared to picking it up at Wal-Mart.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Lastchancerecords (11-23-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 02:27 PM   #14
Bandit Tajomaru Bandit Tajomaru is offline
Special Member
 
Bandit Tajomaru's Avatar
 
Apr 2013
384
290
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan View Post
I really wonder if it would be easier for WAC to make a case for the missing Tom and Jerry cartoons than it was for WHV retail, since there's almost zero chance of a soccer mom or kids stumbling upon an online-only MOD release compared to picking it up at Wal-Mart.
Ask the head of the Warner bros. legal department. She said she will never allow those Tom & Jerry shorts to be released as long as she is there.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
jedidarrick (11-22-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 02:28 PM   #15
DawnShadow DawnShadow is offline
Special Member
 
Aug 2014
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit Tajomaru View Post
Ask the head of the Warner bros. legal department. She said she will never allow those Tom & Jerry shorts to be released as long as she is there.
But I mean surely she’ll be gone within 20 years or so right? It’s not that long!
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 02:30 PM   #16
Bandit Tajomaru Bandit Tajomaru is offline
Special Member
 
Bandit Tajomaru's Avatar
 
Apr 2013
384
290
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
Good question. Why are classic cartoons seemingly treated differently than any other random Warner Archive release? Just seems odd. There's quite a few WAC releases that I look at and wonder how many sales they could possibly get. Many of them must sell in the very low thousands.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of toons (no knowledge about what I'm "missing"). But I enjoy the occasional odd release (I do have all 3 blu-ray volumes of Looney Tunes and a few other random collections). This Popeye release sounds like something I'd get, I don't think I've seen a full Popeye cartoon anywhere in at least 20 years, although I'm not going to fall for the "buy it now or this is the end!!!!!" rubbish. I do hope it generally sells well enough though to encourage more releases - particularly Looney Tunes and Tom and Jerry.
Because the Warner Bros. execs do not like cartoons. They think restoring old cartoons is a waist of money.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 02:38 PM   #17
DawnShadow DawnShadow is offline
Special Member
 
Aug 2014
12
Default

Sounds like these actually started being restored long ago, which makes the Boomerang streaming situation very hard to understand. This is a post from Jerry Beck himself on his own website.

Quote:
WHY AREN’T THE CLASSIC COLOR POPEYE CARTOONS RELEASED ON VIDEO?

Good News! Warner Bros. will release these to DVD and Blu-Ray next year. Restoration is taking place now. The first boxed set should be released in July 2014!
http://web.archive.org/web/201303042...ked-questions/
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 02:45 PM   #18
Akibiyori Akibiyori is offline
Active Member
 
Nov 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnShadow View Post
With them releasing all these cartoons unaltered now I really do fail to see the logic behind stalling the Tom and Jerry sets.
We’d probably have all of the Spotlight Collection material on Blu by now if rabid nerds didn’t sacrifice the Golden series because of the two missing shorts, which potentially could/probably would have been part of the collection of controversial shorts that was being mulled about (the “Censored Eleven” were all restored - if Warner gave the money to do it they must have had some plan to use them until T&J Golden 2 was foolishly killed.)
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Deadguy2322 (11-20-2018), WBMakeVMarsMovieNOW (11-24-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 02:55 PM   #19
Bandit Tajomaru Bandit Tajomaru is offline
Special Member
 
Bandit Tajomaru's Avatar
 
Apr 2013
384
290
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akibiyori View Post
We’d probably have all of the Spotlight Collection material on Blu by now if rabid nerds didn’t sacrifice the Golden series because of the two missing shorts, which potentially could/probably would have been part of the collection of controversial shorts that was being mulled about (the “Censored Eleven” were all restored - if Warner gave the money to do it they must have had some plan to use them until T&J Golden 2 was foolishly killed.)
Those missing Tom & Jerry shorts were also restored. Guess what the legal department didn't care.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 02:57 PM   #20
McCrutchy McCrutchy is offline
Contributor
 
McCrutchy's Avatar
 
Dec 2008
East Coast, USA
2
359
3671
173
5
14
Default

Excellent news! YES!
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
SwatDB (11-25-2018)
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:09 PM.