Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$34.99
 
007: The Daniel Craig Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.99
 
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$35.49
 
Suspiria 4K (Blu-ray)
$36.04
 
The Fly Collection (Blu-ray)
$66.62
 
Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$70.29
3 hrs ago
The Far Country (Blu-ray)
$26.42
10 hrs ago
Psycho: Complete 4-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99
 
Ultraseven: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$27.04
9 hrs ago
Ultraseven: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$21.72
 
Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2019, 06:06 AM   #661
Kaiju no Kami Kaiju no Kami is offline
Active Member
 
Jun 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedihunter View Post
But yeah I'm tired of the whole shut up at least we are getting something. When this isn't really that great as no real effort was put in by criterion outside of laying for these and negotiating the rights to include certain films.
Yep, because commissioning new artwork for each movie, having top dog people write essays for their booklet, and including new translations and ALL 15 movies totally had no effort put into it.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Chabrolesque (07-26-2019), ewsjr (07-26-2019), Infernal King (07-27-2019), PegasusKenshiro (07-26-2019), WorkShed (07-26-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 06:13 AM   #662
Kaiju no Kami Kaiju no Kami is offline
Active Member
 
Jun 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidervenom1992 View Post
it might have the first film, but it also has the worst ones by far with Son of Godzilla, All Monsters Attack, vs. Gigan and vs. Megalon, to name a few. This is also the era that garnered the series the reputation as cheap kiddie entertainment that was akin to garbage,
I'm going to disagree with you here. Godzilla vs Space Godzilla is the worst live action Godzilla film ever made.

The Showa era is top notch and easily the best of the franchise thanks to Eiji Tsuburaya. Mothra vs Godzilla, the original, the two MechaG movies, GTTHM, and Invasion of Astro-Monster are 6 of the greatest Godzilla movies of all time. None of the Heisei movies can match the quality of the Showa era aside from Biollante and only half of the Millennium is as good.

Nevertheless, you are right about some of the last films going into kiddie territory, but at least the movies knew they were aiming themselves for kids as opposed to whatever the hell the 90s films were trying to imitate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossD View Post
The biggest disappointment for me is the lack of (some) English dubs. I’d say most people buying this set grew up watching these movies on tv- and I think those English dubs are part of our memories of them.
This argument vexes me. Are you saying you can't watch something if you didn't grow up with it? I grew up on those old dubs to. I constantly rented them from Blockbuster and Video Factory and watched them on TNT and USA every Memorial and Labor Day. I think they even aired some of them on Veterans Day too.

I bought the Region 2 DVDs in 2002 and the only movies I have watched dubbed since then have been Monster Zero (due to it being shown at my local Alamo Drafthouse in that manner), King Kong vs Godzilla since it was the only way to watch it on BD in the US, and Sony's 2000 dub since their added sound effects and adding actually improve the film.

As such, I don't see how you must have an English dub just because you grew up with it.

Last edited by Kaiju no Kami; 07-26-2019 at 06:20 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Infernal King (07-27-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 06:16 AM   #663
Jedihunter Jedihunter is offline
Active Member
 
Oct 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiju no Kami View Post
Yep, because commissioning new artwork for each movie, having top dog people write essays for their booklet, and including new translations and ALL 15 movies totally had no effort put into it.
You do realize that us pretty much bare minimum? They don't even have commentaries on them. And no offense to the writers. It's not hard to get them to do some write ups on the film's since they've covered them for years. And yes new translations is cool. But that isn't ad big a deal as actual new transfers, commentaries, or new extras with people actually related to the franchise indeed we have an interview with a guy who was in the old BBC documentary

This set is extremely barebones for what they're asking and effort they put into the artwork should've been placed into the films themselves.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 06:31 AM   #664
vicious_boy vicious_boy is offline
Member
 
vicious_boy's Avatar
 
Jun 2010
130
Default

This is so exciting! But as i understand this, the set is going to be about as big as the Ingmar Bergman set they released last year? Cause i honestly have no idea where to put it then lol.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 06:32 AM   #665
Johnzilla2179 Johnzilla2179 is offline
Active Member
 
Johnzilla2179's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
94
408
412
1
26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiju no Kami View Post
I'm going to disagree with you here. Godzilla vs Space Godzilla is the worst live action Godzilla film ever made.

The Showa era is top notch and easily the best of the franchise thanks to Eiji Tsuburaya. Mothra vs Godzilla, the original, the two MechaG movies, GTTHM, and Invasion of Astro-Monster are 6 of the greatest Godzilla movies of all time. None of the Heisei movies can match the quality of the Showa era aside from Biollante and only half of the Millennium is as good.

Nevertheless, you are right about some of the last films going into kiddie territory, but at least the movies knew they were aiming themselves for kids as opposed to whatever the hell the 90s films were trying to imitate.
To each their own. The Heisei series is my favorite of the three, followed by the Millennium series and then finally the Showa, then perhaps the "modern" era with the four films Toho recently put out (Shin Godzilla is one of my favorites in the franchise, but as most fans have said, the anime films ain't too great).
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 06:33 AM   #666
hariseldon hariseldon is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Jul 2010
Charlotte, NC
-
-
-
-
149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaverBoy View Post
Except this time the product is really disappointing. They can’t even do as good as Kraken for three of the films; Kraken at least included Toho dubs and decent cover art.
Of course it is, it always is, it always will be. There is absolutely no way this could have been announced and not brought out the OH NO, BUT crowd.
Oh No, not that. It sucks They shoulda

And what part of the Kraken release was Criterion given access to that they refused to use -- and make sure to show your work. Because I said so doesn't work

Last edited by hariseldon; 07-26-2019 at 06:40 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Kaiju no Kami (07-26-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 06:36 AM   #667
Kaiju no Kami Kaiju no Kami is offline
Active Member
 
Jun 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidervenom1992 View Post
To each their own. The Heisei series is my favorite of the three, followed by the Millennium series and then finally the Showa, then perhaps the "modern" era with the four films Toho recently put out (Shin Godzilla is one of my favorites in the franchise, but as most fans have said, the anime films ain't too great).
Out of curiosity, what makes the Heisei era you favorite? I find the movies after GvsKG to be utterly lazy, repulsive, and boring. The Godzilla tail is falling to pieces in Space Godzilla and literally hanging on by a thread while most of the monster battles are nothing but laser light shows. It doesn't help that the monsters are too fat to really move. However, I do like the continuity aspect with the reoccuring characters even if the plots are generic. Oh, and the number of times they have to tell us how much humanity sucks in the 92 Mothra film.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 07:30 AM   #668
RossD RossD is offline
Senior Member
 
Feb 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiju no Kami View Post
This argument vexes me. Are you saying you can't watch something if you didn't grow up with it?
Obviously I’m not saying that, as anything new we watch as adults is “watching something you didn't grow up with it”. But if you are actually asking about revisiting things from our childhood, then yes I personally would like the option to watch them as we remember them. For some of us, those dubs are as much a part of the Godzilla experience as anything else.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
El_Fez (07-26-2019), WaverBoy (07-26-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 07:36 AM   #669
allstar_balla21 allstar_balla21 is online now
Active Member
 
Oct 2018
19
Default

Question. I see a lot of complaining about the lack of dubs. Is anyone NOT going to get the set because of this?
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 07:57 AM   #670
Justanothercrow421 Justanothercrow421 is offline
Active Member
 
Justanothercrow421's Avatar
 
Aug 2011
UCLA
1
786
25
1
Default

Godzilla: The Showa Era, 1954-1975 (Part I)

Godzilla: The Showa Era, 1954-1975 (Part I)


The plan is for these to fit in the Scanavo 4-disc clear case. Buy two, house all 8 discs in something that'll fit the shelf a bit better than Criterion's over-sized book.

PM me when the set releases for updated files with correct dimensions, and final barcode, catalog and ISBN numbers.

Individual covers pending.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Blazinty (07-26-2019), chriszilla (07-26-2019), deltatauhobbit (07-26-2019), Desslok (07-26-2019), Dr. Phibes (07-26-2019), El_Fez (07-26-2019), fred25_Ca (07-26-2019), gobad2003 (07-28-2019), Grozebear (07-26-2019), hanz0 (07-26-2019), joltman (07-26-2019), Kaiju23 (07-26-2019), kishiro (08-19-2019), larryg137 (07-28-2019), limevista (07-26-2019), LordStewie (07-27-2019), Mando54 (07-26-2019), Mister B Gone (07-26-2019), NLScavenger (07-26-2019), Rzzzz (07-26-2019), samadams12pack (07-26-2019), Spooked (07-26-2019), stewpac (07-26-2019), WorkShed (07-26-2019), yourmomcalled (07-26-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 08:31 AM   #671
TheBluRayBandito TheBluRayBandito is offline
Expert Member
 
TheBluRayBandito's Avatar
 
Nov 2017
City of Angels
5
783
110
15
Default

Amazon pre-order has it at $249.99. Jesus H. Christ! Is this gonna sold at stores like Best Buy? I wonder how much it'll be during the first week. If anything, I'll wait for a sale price to buy it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 08:35 AM   #672
vicious_boy vicious_boy is offline
Member
 
vicious_boy's Avatar
 
Jun 2010
130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanothercrow421 View Post
Godzilla: The Showa Era, 1954-1975 (Part I)

Godzilla: The Showa Era, 1954-1975 (Part I)


The plan is for these to fit in the Scanavo 4-disc clear case. Buy two, house all 8 discs in something that'll fit the shelf a bit better than Criterion's over-sized book.

PM me when the set releases for updated files with correct dimensions, and final barcode, catalog and ISBN numbers.

Individual covers pending.
Those look very nice, but i'm not really a big fan of doing something like this. Also, when i started to think about it it won't so Heavy so i definitely do have Space for it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 08:44 AM   #673
PegasusKenshiro PegasusKenshiro is offline
Banned
 
Nov 2017
337
92
Default

Everyone keeps saying they have the 2008 HD masters, but where the hell is the source for this? This is just nonsense speculation.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 09:04 AM   #674
Jedihunter Jedihunter is offline
Active Member
 
Oct 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicious_boy View Post
Those look very nice, but i'm not really a big fan of doing something like this. Also, when i started to think about it it won't so Heavy so i definitely do have Space for it.
Very curious what kind of paper is good to.use for printing these? Cuz I am totally gonna put them in cases and would love to use something like this.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 09:06 AM   #675
Dr Lenera Dr Lenera is offline
Active Member
 
Dr Lenera's Avatar
 
Mar 2018
Default

Ummm......really on the fence about this...and I blame Toho more than Criterion. I live in the UK so am not informed as others, but didn't Toho stop extras-laden releases of Destroy All Monsters and another Showa film [Hedorah? Megalon?] some years back? For some reason?

Badly flawed 2008 masters....well probably, I know it's not confirmed yet.

Lack of some alternate cuts, dubs and commentaries...while inferior, I first saw most of these films in their US versions so have an attachment to them, and I'm sorry but I almost always watch Invasion of Astro Monster/Monster Zero in English to get the full enjoyment out of Nick Adams's performance. Of course most of this material are on the DVDs....but still....

The price....I can afford, but can I justify it, seeing as the import tax to the UK will be huge?....

I'm a life-long Godzilla fan and supporter of physical media and feel I should support this release....but I think I'm going to wait for some reviews/screencaps....
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 09:06 AM   #676
Jedihunter Jedihunter is offline
Active Member
 
Oct 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PegasusKenshiro View Post
Everyone keeps saying they have the 2008 HD masters, but where the hell is the source for this? This is just nonsense speculation.
Because all that is listed is the digital transfers, there has been no word of any actual restoration work as they have been using the same 2008 transfers that were ended up on Japanese blurays. All that is stated is that they are using hd digital transfers. And there was a email that was responded to that was on another forum basically stating that they are and it's really disappointing that they are
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 09:12 AM   #677
Jedihunter Jedihunter is offline
Active Member
 
Oct 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Lenera View Post
Ummm......really on the fence about this...and I blame Toho more than Criterion. I live in the UK so am not informed as others, but didn't Toho stop extras-laden releases of Destroy All Monsters and another Showa film [Hedorah? Megalon?] some years back? For some reason?

Badly flawed 2008 masters....well probably, I know it's not confirmed yet.

Lack of some alternate cuts, dubs and commentaries...while inferior, I first saw most of these films in their US versions so have an attachment to them, and I'm sorry but I almost always watch Invasion of Astro Monster/Monster Zero in English to get the full enjoyment out of Nick Adams's performance. Of course most of this material are on the DVDs....but still....

The price....I can afford, but can I justify it, seeing as the import tax to the UK will be huge....

I'm a life-long Godzilla fan and supporter of physical media and feel I should support this release....but I think I'm going to wait for some reviews/screencaps....
It's not so much that they stopped the extras. So much as it was that media blasters released the discs without full approval for everything in the set and is the reason why it got recalled and that we almost didn't get Megalon on bluray from them.

And again the masters was pretty much confirmed in an email that criterion responded to. Which makes sense because it makes sense with the release is being handled. But hopefully they are sticking with the sony is masters as some of the streaming versions used the sony transfer at one point of Mecha Godzilla. And it would be a real shame if they didn't as they used he in Kraken and they are older than the Toho master but look so much nicer and more filmic.

And we'll the good thing for Astro Monster is they are using the "international" version which is an earlier version of the English dub used that has some differences. But still has Nick adams' voice and the same dub cast. So there is that at least.

I know how you feel this set is quite a let down for the price and all that is included. But I'm still planning on getting the release in hopes of some improvements even though these are gonna be really compressed as there are some discs that have tree films on a disc.

And I think toho is to blame but definitely alot falls on criterion too as Toho didn't force them to put them all on so little discs. And it still makes no sense that the kraken releases are missing internatuonal dubs why they couldn't get their hands on the American edits as I know people have prints that have for a fact tried reaching out to them.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 09:13 AM   #678
Killer Meteor Killer Meteor is online now
Special Member
 
Jan 2013
63
Default

One weird problem with the previous BD master of Megalon -
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 09:20 AM   #679
Zillamon51 Zillamon51 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Zillamon51's Avatar
 
Oct 2013
S.E. Michigan
11
1244
565
10
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herry Dunston View Post
[Show spoiler]


They totally knew what they're doing when they choose that image to illustrate.
Not really. That's the Heisei version of Rodan. And for some reason, the artist let their kid draw Ghidorah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar_balla21 View Post
Question. I see a lot of complaining about the lack of dubs. Is anyone NOT going to get the set because of this?
Me (kind of). I will be buying this set for myself. However, I have been buying a LOT of Godzilla stuff for some young cousins. But they won't watch subtitles. So if this set included all the dubs, I would have bought a second one for them.

Also, for what it's worth, the lack of dubs, clunky oversized packaging, and garish artwork means I will be waiting for a 50% off sale for my copy, instead of making it a day-one preorder.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Spooked (07-26-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 09:21 AM   #680
Dr Lenera Dr Lenera is offline
Active Member
 
Dr Lenera's Avatar
 
Mar 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedihunter View Post
It's not so much that they stopped the extras. So much as it was that media blasters released the discs without full approval for everything in the set and is the reason why it got recalled and that we almost didn't get Megalon on bluray from them.

And again the masters was pretty much confirmed in an email that criterion responded to. Which makes sense because it makes sense with the release is being handled. But hopefully they are sticking with the sony is masters as some of the streaming versions used the sony transfer at one point of Mecha Godzilla. And it would be a real shame if they didn't as they used he in Kraken and they are older than the Toho master but look so much nicer and more filmic.

And we'll the good thing for Astro Monster is they are using the "international" version which is an earlier version of the English dub used that has some differences. But still has Nick adams' voice and the same dub cast. So there is that at least.

I know how you feel this set is quite a let down for the price and all that is included. But I'm still planning on getting the release in hopes of some improvements even though these are gonna be really compressed as there are some discs that have tree films on a disc.

And I think toho is to blame but definitely alot falls on criterion too as Toho didn't force them to put them all on so little discs. And it still makes no sense that the kraken releases are missing internatuonal dubs why they couldn't get their hands on the American edits as I know people have prints that have for a fact tried reaching out to them.
Ah thanks for pointing that out esp. regarding Astro Monster....I must have missed that when looking at the details. I'm sure that we in the UK got that earlier [think this film only came out in the US in 1970] international dub/version, it was the one shown on TV and released on video/DVD so that will be the one that I'm familiar with. So that's certainly an argument in favour of buying......
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:42 PM.