Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Black Friday Deals are Now Live »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
A Clockwork Orange 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
6 hrs ago
The Flash: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
8 hrs ago
Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$33.00
1 day ago
Batwoman: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
5 hrs ago
The Green Knight 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
22 hrs ago
Indiana Jones: 4-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$49.99

The Guns of Navarone 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99
10 hrs ago
Smallville: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$133.69

Chaos Walking 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
3 hrs ago
Shaun of the Dead 4K / Hot Fuzz 4K / The World's End 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

John Wick: Chapters 1-3 (Blu-ray)
$14.99
1 day ago
The Bourne Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$20.99
9 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists

Old 08-29-2019, 05:19 AM   #1

May 2019
Brick, NJ
Disney Walt Disney Legacy Collection (Blu-ray successor to the Walt Disney Treasures series)

For a couple of years, I've been working on ideas for a new collection of cartoon/TV show/movie Blu-rays, which would act as a successor to the Walt Disney Treasures collection of DVD sets. Here's an article I wrote about it on the Disney Fanon Wiki:
http://disneyfanon.fandom.com/wiki/Walt_Disney_Legacy_Collection
What do you think of it so far? Any ideas or suggestions?

(The working title of my collection idea is the Legacy Collection; someone else on this forum said it sounded unoriginal, so I'm considering changing it soon)
Thanks given by:
danielshock (08-29-2019), hagios (08-30-2019), ilovenola2 (08-29-2019), Jar Jar Stinks (08-29-2019), Nailwraps (08-29-2019), PrueFever (10-18-2020), Starchild (08-29-2019)
Old 08-29-2019, 03:28 PM   #2

Nov 2010

I would prefer... maybe I'm alone - that characters get released in complete sets as opposed to "volumes".

thanks! It looks great!
Old 08-29-2019, 03:30 PM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2011
-
-
-
-

Looks promising. However, the colors in that wiki are impossible for me to read.
Old 08-29-2019, 06:46 PM   #4
Expert Member

Apr 2014
Finland

I would like to see the Donald Duck cartoons on Blu-Ray.
Thanks given by:
PrueFever (10-18-2020)
Old 08-30-2019, 02:13 AM   #5

May 2019
Brick, NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus123 View Post
I would like to see the Donald Duck cartoons on Blu-Ray.
Funny you mention those...

http://disneyfanon.fandom.com/wiki/Walt_Disney_Legacy_Collection/The_Donald_Duck_Collection
http://disneyfanon.fandom.com/wiki/Walt_Disney_Legacy_Collection/The_Donald_Duck_Collection:_Volume_Two
http://disneyfanon.fandom.com/wiki/Walt_Disney_Legacy_Collection/The_Donald_Duck_Collection:_Volume_Three
Thanks given by:
PrueFever (10-18-2020)
Old 11-28-2019, 02:44 AM   #6

May 2019
Brick, NJ

Thought I'd bump this thread since I haven't discussed my Legacy Collection/Treasures successor ideas in quite a while.

I did wiki articles for most of the animated sets a few years ago. Here are links to the ones I'm nearly done with or need some help with:
- Mickey Mouse (black-and-white)
- Mickey Mouse (color)
- Donald Duck (volume one)
- Donald Duck (volume two)
- Donald Duck (volume three) (I'm thinking about cutting the number of Donald volumes down to two - volume one could be 1936-1946 and volume two could be 1947-1967. Should I do it?)
- Goofy
- Pluto
- Oswald the Lucky Rabbit
- "Silly Symphonies"
- Rarities
- "Alice Comedies"
- Wartime Disney

Are there any other bonuses you would like to see me add to these articles? I'd love to hear your ideas...!
Thanks given by:
Nailwraps (11-28-2019)
Old 11-28-2019, 04:41 AM   #7

Jun 2011
Minnesota

I would like it on bluray so they can decrease the $40 - $140 per box set price point. I used to watch these cartoons on The Disney Channel in 1994-1996. The Mickey Mouse series from 2013 on The Disney Channel is a great alternative, nice stories and its really cheap.

I rather pay $10 for 2013 series and not $140 on Walt Disney Treasures

Last edited by renegadeviking; 11-28-2019 at 04:52 AM.
Thanks given by:
InGen (06-29-2020)
Old 11-28-2019, 06:41 AM   #8

May 2019
Brick, NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegadeviking View Post
I would like it on bluray so they can decrease the $40 - $140 per box set price point.
These Legacy Collection sets are Blu-rays, though...

I had originally meant to post the following tidbits on my last post here:
- Almost every short will/would be restored in 4K high-resolution and derived from 4K scans of the original nitrate/safety film negatives and 16mm/35mm film prints (for select shorts' original title sequences and recently/partially found shorts). Nearly every transfer made for this collection will/would retain the film grain, unlike most of Disney's HD animated film restorations; shorts that were previously unrestored, scrubbed completely clean, or DNR'ed will/would be improved here
- Shorts that were previously only available on VHS/LaserDisc/DVD/Blu-ray/streaming with reissue titles or inaccurate recreated titles will/would either have their original titles reinstated or have their titles recreated more accurately (if the true originals haven't been found yet)
- Most shorts would have lossless DTS-HD Master Audio mono, stereo, 4:2:4 matrix, and 5.1 soundtracks (depending on which audio format they were recorded and/or mixed in). For example, most of the vintage shorts would obviously be monaural (1.0), a few of the CinemaScope shorts would be three-track stereo (3.0), shorts originally released in matrixed Dolby Stereo would preferably be discrete LCRS 4.0, and the first three "Winnie the Pooh" featurettes on the Rarities set would be either two-track or three-track stereo (yes, the music scores to those shorts were indeed stereophonic; listen to the videos in this playlist with headphones on or with a pair of speakers connected to your computer and you'll hear what I mean)

Last edited by WaltWiz1901; 11-28-2019 at 06:46 AM.
Thanks given by:
PrueFever (10-18-2020)
Old 12-04-2019, 02:41 AM   #9

Jun 2011
Minnesota

I really like these Classic Cartoon Favorites DVDs, they are affordable. $2-$20 boxsets.
Thanks given by:
InGen (06-29-2020)
Old 12-05-2019, 01:23 AM   #10

May 2019
Brick, NJ

Can we focus more on my idea and less on how affordable the Classic Cartoon Favorites and 2013 Mickey Mouse DVDs are versus the Treasures sets, please...?

Anyway, I'm nearly done brainstorming one of two animated short sets for the Legacy Collection's first wave: Mickey Mouse: The Black & White Years. Here's what the set would have:
- 74 black-and-white Mickey Mouse cartoon shorts spanning from 1928 to 1935, sourced from all-new 4K resolution masters with their original title cards intact (where applicable) and with lossless DTS-HD Master Audio mono soundtracks
- Audio commentaries on select shorts by various film buffs, animators, scholars, and the creator of the Epic Mickey video game franchise
- "The Men Behind the Mouse" (all-new documentary)
- The Hand Behind the Mouse: The Ub Iwerks Story (documentary film by Leslie Iwerks)
- Story sketch, script, and animation draft galleries
- Animation, merchandise, and promotional art galleries
- Mickey Mouse comic strip galleries
- Mickey's appearances in the 1934 MGM film Hollywood Party
- Alternate background versions of two shorts and alternate opening and closing titles
- "Mickey Mouse on Records" audio tracks
- Classic DVD bonus features (most presented in SD): "Frank and Ollie...and Mickey", "Mickey Mania: Collecting Mickey Merchandise", feature on Floyd Gottfredson, The Mail Pilot pencil test, Minnie's Yoo-Hoo sing-along short (HD), and Mickey Mouse Club newsreel (HD)
- Booklet with liner notes on every short
- Set of six lithographs
- Replica of Steamboat Willie script

What do you think (so far? What other bonus features would you like to see? What posters/art could be on the lithographs included with the set)?
Old 12-14-2019, 05:30 AM   #11

May 2019
Brick, NJ

Here's what the other shorts set for wave one, Silly Symphonies, would have:
- 75 "Silly Symphony" shorts - 29 in black-and-white and 46 in color - released from 1929 to 1939, sourced from all-new 4K resolution masters with their original title cards intact (where applicable) and with DTS-HD Master Audio mono soundtracks
- Audio commentaries on select shorts by various film buffs, animators, scholars, and music experts
- "Small Cartoons, Big Milestones" (all-new documentary)
- Various production and publicity/merchandise/promotional art galleries
- Alternate versions of Cannibal Capers, Three Little Pigs, The Night Before Christmas, and The Wise Little Hen (with deleted scenes left in place or certain scenes reanimated) and alternate opening and closing titles
- Complete bridging sequences from two episodes of Walt Disney's anthology series
- Classic DVD bonus features (every bonus feature from both "Silly Symphony" Treasures sets, all (except for "Animators at Play") presented in SD)
- Booklet with liner notes on every short
- Set of six lithographs
- The Skeleton Dance pin

Any ideas for other potential bonus features (and what the lithographs included with both the Mickey and "Silly Symphony" sets would be of)?
Old 12-29-2019, 05:43 AM   #12

May 2019
Brick, NJ

Here are the second wave's animated short sets and their contents:
The Donald Duck Collection
- 68 Donald Duck cartoon shorts released from 1936 to 1946, sourced from all-new 4K resolution masters with their original title cards intact (where applicable) and with lossless DTS-HD Master Audio mono soundtracks
- Audio commentaries on select shorts by various film buffs, animators, and scholars
- "Donald Duck: A Show-Stealing Quack-Up" (all-new documentary)
- Comic strip galleries and features on Al Taliaferro and Carl Barks
- Alternate opening and closing titles
- Classic DVD bonus features (nearly every bonus feature from the first two Chronological Donald Treasures sets, all except The Volunteer Worker and The Reluctant Dragon excerpts presented in SD)
- Booklet
- Set of six lithographs
- Replica of Donald Duck Finds Pirate Gold! comic book

Goofy: The Complete Collection
- 50 Goofy cartoon shorts released between 1939 and 2007, most of which are sourced from all-new 4K resolution masters with their original title cards intact (where applicable) and all with lossless DTS-HD Master Audio mono, stereo (Sport Goofy in Soccermania only), and 5.1 (How to Hook Up Your Home Theater only) soundtracks
- Three never-before-released-on-disc featurettes/shorts:

- Audio commentaries on select shorts by various film buffs, animators, and scholars
- "The Life and Times of the Goof" (all-new documentary)
- Comic strip gallery
- How to Ride a Horse (1941/1950 short; originally a segment of The Reluctant Dragon)
- Checkin' In with Goofy (2011 webtoon)
- Three Goofy-themed episodes of the Walt Disney anthology series
- Alternate opening and closing titles
- Classic DVD bonus features (all presented in SD)
* "The Man Behind the Goof: Pinto Colvig"
* "The Essential Goof"
* "A Conversation with Goofy's Voice: Bill Farmer"
- Booklet
- Set of six lithographs
- Replica of The Goofy Success Story Little Golden Book

Last edited by WaltWiz1901; 04-04-2020 at 05:11 PM.
Thanks given by:
Mayboy128 (12-29-2019)
Old 03-02-2020, 11:31 PM   #13

May 2019
Brick, NJ

I've been thinking...has anyone attempted to make cover art for any of my (or their) ideas for the collection yet? You're free to use any of my (nearly) finished wiki articles and most of my posts above for reference.

Additionally, here's a list of sets I've been thinking about adding to the collection, but haven't added to the main article:
- A collection of live-action shorts, featurettes, and documentaries similar to the animated Rarities set
- Donald Duck on television (a collection of Donald-themed episodes of the Walt Disney anthology series)
- Separate sets for Tomorrowland, Fantasyland, and Frontierland-branded episodes of Disneyland and Walt Disney Presents (I've already decided that most of the Adventureland episodes would be included on the same set as the "True-Life Adventures" featurettes)
- "People & Places" (all 17 entries of the eponymous series of featurettes)
Anyone here have any other set ideas?

Last edited by WaltWiz1901; 03-03-2020 at 12:07 AM.
Old 03-16-2020, 12:07 AM   #14

May 2019
Brick, NJ

So, anybody have any ideas regarding what would be on any of the collection's sets (or volumes)? Any new set ideas?

Better yet, has anyone commissioned cover art for any of the sets over at the custom cover art thread? What type of packaging would be used?
Old 03-16-2020, 02:08 AM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2012
USA

As may have mentioned, I feel the DVD editions would be better off as DVD counterparts of the Legacy Collection rather than reissues of the Treasures. I mean you are getting improvements with this line why leave the DVD buyers/collectors out?

What's more, looking at your ideas like Mary Poppins and The Aristocats I DO have some ideas if you're interested to listen to them.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:57 PM   #16

May 2019
Brick, NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailwraps View Post
As may have mentioned, I feel the DVD editions would be better off as DVD counterparts of the Legacy Collection rather than reissues of the Treasures. I mean you are getting improvements with this line why leave the DVD buyers/collectors out?
Although I sort of get your point here, most of the stuff that would be on each set are on DVD already (granted, there are differences between their presentations on the Treasures sets/previous releases elsewhere and how they would be presented here) and haven't been released on Blu-ray (there are plenty of exceptions, of course). The Exclusive Archive Collection and Treasures series (both of which the Legacy Collection takes cues from) weren't on VHS in addition to LaserDisc and DVD, respectively, so why release individual versions of each set with even lower resolution than the Blu-ray counterparts (480p instead of 1080p) and less bonus features? If there were DVD versions of each set, I'd rather they be packed in with the Blu-ray versions.
Quote:
What's more, looking at your ideas like Mary Poppins and The Aristocats I DO have some ideas if you're interested to listen to them.
Please do tell!
Old 03-17-2020, 03:05 AM   #17
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2012
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltWiz1901 View Post
Although I sort of get your point here, most of the stuff that would be on each set are on DVD already (granted, there are differences between their presentations on the Treasures sets/previous releases elsewhere and how they would be presented here) and haven't been released on Blu-ray (there are plenty of exceptions, of course). The Exclusive Archive Collection and Treasures series (both of which the Legacy Collection takes cues from) weren't on VHS in addition to LaserDisc and DVD, respectively, so why release individual versions of each set with even lower resolution than the Blu-ray counterparts (480p instead of 1080p) and less bonus features? If there were DVD versions of each set, I'd rather they be packed in with the Blu-ray versions.
Question is, why can't there also be a jam-packed DVD edition too?

It's your project though, I won't tell you what to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltWiz1901 View Post
Please do tell!

Well for Mary Poppins (I borrowed your idea for disc 1 FYI):

Disc 1: The Film (4K Ultra HD)
Tech Specifications:
-All New 4K Restoration from The Original Camera Negatives
-2160p Resolution
-Anamorphic 1.66:1 Widescreen
-English Dolby Atmos
-English DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 Original Stereo
-French Dolby Digital 5.1
-French Dolby Digital 2.0 Original Stereo
-Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
-Spanish Dolby Digital 2.0 Original Stereo
-Optional English, French, and Spanish Subtitles
Special Features:
-Audio Commentary with Julie Andrews, Dick Van Dyke, and Karen Dotrice, Richard B. Sherman, and Robert M. Sherman
-Poppins Pop-Up Fun Facts

Disc 2: The Film (Blu-ray)
Tech Specifications:
-1080p Resolution
-English DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1
Special Features:
-Audio Commentary with Julie Andrews, Dick Van Dyke, and Karen Dotrice, Richard B. Sherman, and Robert M. Sherman
-Audio Commentary with Brian Sibley, Jim Korkis, J.B Kaufman, and Jerry Beck
-All New Introduction with Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke
-Behind-the-Scenes Look at the Making of Mary Poppins
-Mary Poppins: Practically Perfect in Every Way: The Magic Behind the Masterpiece
-Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious: The Making of Mary Poppins
-Disney Song Selection
-Mary-Oke sing-alongs
-Storyboard-to-Film Comparisions: "Jolly Holiday"
-Hollywood Goes to a World Premiere
-The Gala World Premiere
–The Gala World Premiere Party
-Isolated Music Track
-Theatrical Trailers, TV Spots, and Radio Spots
-Julie Andrews’ Premiere Greeting
-Mary Poppins: A Reading of a chapter by Julie Andrews
-The Cat That Looked At a King animated short (restored and remastered in HD)

Disc 3: Bonus Material
-New Feature-Length Retrospective Documentary
-Mary Poppins: From Page to Stage
–Step In Time" musical number from Mary Poppins on Broadway
-A Magical Musical Reunion
-A Musical Journey with Richard Sherman
-The Movie Magic of Mary Poppins
-Deconstruction of Scene: Jolly Holiday
-Deconstruction of a Scene: Step in Time
-Deleted Scenes and Songs
-Dick Van Dyke Make-Up Test
-Laserdisc Archive
-Photo and Still Galleries

Disc 4: Saving Mr. Banks Special Edition
Tech Specifications:
-All New 4K Remaster from The Original Digital Elements
-1080p Resolution
-Anamorphic 2.40:1 Widescreen
Special Features:
-All New Documentary on the life of P.L. Travers
-From Poppins to the Present
-Becoming Mr. Sherman
-Let's Go Fly a Kite
-Deleted Scenes
-Theatrical Trailers and TV Spots

Disc 5: The Boys: The Sherman Brothers' Story
Tech Specifications:
-1080p Resolution
-Anamorphic 1.85:1 Widescreen
-English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
-Spanish Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Special Features:
-Why They're "The Boys"
-Disney Studios In The '60s
-Casting Mary Poppins
-The Process
-Theme Parks
-Roy Williams
-Bob's Art
-Celebration
-Sherman Brothers' Jukebox
-The Disney Family Album: The Sherman Brothers
Thanks given by:
BlueCotton (03-17-2020), Mayboy128 (03-17-2020), WaltWiz1901 (03-17-2020)
Old 03-18-2020, 04:25 AM   #18

May 2019
Brick, NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailwraps View Post
Disc 1: The Film (4K Ultra HD)
Tech Specifications:
-2160p Resolution
-English Dolby Atmos
Special Features:

Disc 2: The Film (Blu-ray)
Tech Specifications:
-1080p Resolution
Special Features:
-Audio Commentary with Brian Sibley, Jim Korkis, J.B Kaufman, and Jerry Beck
-All New Introduction with Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke
-Behind-the-Scenes Look at the Making of Mary Poppins
-Mary Poppins: Practically Perfect in Every Way: The Magic Behind the Masterpiece
-Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious: The Making of Mary Poppins
-Disney Song Selection
-Mary-Oke sing-alongs
-Storyboard-to-Film Comparisions: "Jolly Holiday"
-Hollywood Goes to a World Premiere
-The Gala World Premiere
–The Gala World Premiere Party
-Isolated Music Track
-Theatrical Trailers, TV Spots, and Radio Spots
-Julie Andrews’ Premiere Greeting
-Mary Poppins: A Reading of a chapter by Julie Andrews
-The Cat That Looked At a King animated short (restored and remastered in HD)

Disc 3: Bonus Material
-New Feature-Length Retrospective Documentary
-Mary Poppins: From Page to Stage
–Step In Time" musical number from Mary Poppins on Broadway
-A Magical Musical Reunion
-A Musical Journey with Richard Sherman
-The Movie Magic of Mary Poppins
-Deconstruction of Scene: Jolly Holiday
-Deconstruction of a Scene: Step in Time
-Deleted Scenes and Songs
-Dick Van Dyke Make-Up Test
-Laserdisc Archive
-Photo and Still Galleries

Disc 4: Saving Mr. Banks Special Edition
Tech Specifications:
-All New 4K Remaster from The Original Digital Elements
-1080p Resolution
-Anamorphic 2.40:1 Widescreen
Special Features:
-All New Documentary on the life of P.L. Travers
-From Poppins to the Present
-Becoming Mr. Sherman
-Let's Go Fly a Kite
-Deleted Scenes
-Theatrical Trailers and TV Spots

Disc 5: The Boys: The Sherman Brothers' Story
Tech Specifications:
-1080p Resolution
-Anamorphic 1.85:1 Widescreen
-English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
-Spanish Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Special Features:
-Why They're "The Boys"
-Disney Studios In The '60s
-Casting Mary Poppins
-The Process
-Theme Parks
-Roy Williams
-Bob's Art
-Celebration
-Sherman Brothers' Jukebox
-The Disney Family Album: The Sherman Brothers
Neat blueprint for the Mary Poppins set you've got there!

I'm currently working on a Song of the South set. Any ideas on what other bonus features I could add, what the roundtable discussion feature I recently added to the article could be called, and who would moderate it?

What would any of the six lithographs in each of the sets we've described in detail (the four animated short sets I described above and the Mary Poppins set) be of?
Thanks given by:
PrueFever (10-18-2020)
Old 03-18-2020, 04:36 AM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2012

Song of the South I will buy....anything...everything...no questions asked this and Something Wicked This Way Comes if you can get it.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:07 PM   #20

May 2019
Brick, NJ

Okay, I finally have some lithograph ideas:
- Mickey Mouse: The Black & White Years: Walt Disney's original concept drawings for Mickey, Steamboat Willie theatrical poster, Plane Crazy theatrical poster, The Karnival Kid story sketches, The Mad Doctor theatrical poster, and Shanghaied story sketch
- Silly Symphonies: 1934 series poster, The Skeleton Dance poster, Flowers and Trees theatrical poster, Three Little Pigs theatrical poster, The Wise Little Hen background painting, and The Old Mill multiplane setup
- The Donald Duck Collection: Don Donald theatrical poster, Donald's Nephews theatrical poster, Mr. Duck Steps Out story sketch, Donald's Vacation theatrical poster, Good Housekeeping magazine story adaptation of Donald's Garden, and Der Fuehrer's Face theatrical poster
- Goofy: The Complete Collection: Goofy and Wilbur theatrical poster, Good Housekeeping magazine story adaptation of The Art of Skiing, Hockey Homicide theatrical poster, The Big Wash background painting, How to Be a Detective theatrical poster, and Freewayphobia theatrical poster

So, anybody have any other lithograph ideas for the other animated short sets?

Last edited by WaltWiz1901; 03-21-2020 at 08:59 PM.
Thanks given by:
Mayboy128 (03-22-2020)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists