Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Ultraman Ace (Blu-ray)
$27.04
4 hrs ago
30 Rock: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$70.32
4 hrs ago
Ultraman X: The Series + The Movie (Blu-ray)
$21.72
4 hrs ago
The Ten Commandments (Blu-ray)
$14.99
4 hrs ago
Ultraman Ace (Blu-ray)
$21.72
4 hrs ago
Sergio Leone Westerns (Blu-ray)
$53.99

Ready or Not (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Bad Boys for Life 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
3 hrs ago
Spookies (Blu-ray)
$21.15

1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

It: Chapter Two 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Bad Boys for Life (Blu-ray)
$24.99
3 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 11-10-2019, 01:50 AM   #241
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011
Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainofj72 View Post
Again, it doesnít actually look harsh in person. Thatís not the problem. You guys are taking those iPhone pictures too literally.
Well, you posted them and described the disc to look how they do. The images looked like daytime and that's what you said. And now it's not missing it from every scene and just that one scene.
Old 11-12-2019, 07:04 PM   #242
Expert Member

Mar 2012

After 30 years of watching this film in B&W, it's a pleasure to finally be able to watch it in "colour".
Old 11-13-2019, 04:03 AM   #243

Aug 2019
Texas

After being available for weeks in a local shop, I finally went up there to buy this today and it was gone.

I'll either need to check another location or order it online at this point.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:35 PM   #244

Nov 2007

Not to dig all this up again but I just wanted to apologise to brainofj72 as I was totally wrong when I said the scene he mentioned was meant to be daytime. I love this film but just got that mixed up in my memory and re-watched it recently. Still love the new Blu-ray though.
Thanks given by:
Luke Dodge748 (11-18-2019)
Old 11-18-2019, 09:57 PM   #245

Sep 2018
Atlanta

I can't believe I haven't picked this up yet. I love this movie. I was hoping to pick it up in store first before settling on ordering online. I'm ready to rewatch, and not in the mood to watch on VUDU
Old 11-19-2019, 01:06 AM   #246
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Amazon has given me a steady stream of changing expected arrival dates. Most recently it was 11/8-11/18.

Today I got an email with a new expected arrival date of 12/2-12/13.

I finally accepted reality and cancelled my Amazon pre-order and ordered the disc from Deep Discount instead. Sigh.
Old 11-22-2019, 11:11 PM   #247

May 2019
Virginia, USA

Anyone know why my amazon delivery date for this is in JANUARY?
Old 11-23-2019, 12:38 AM   #248

Dec 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacotrucks View Post
Anyone know why my amazon delivery date for this is in JANUARY?
Amazon never gets WAC titles in time. You're better off buying somewhere else. Bullmoose is good and free shipping if you buy another movie. They pack it securely too. Deep Discount, maybe Grindhouse Video or Diabolik. Amazon always takes forever to get WAC titles.
Old 11-23-2019, 02:35 AM   #249

May 2019
Virginia, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life Without Death View Post
Amazon never gets WAC titles in time. You're better off buying somewhere else. Bullmoose is good and free shipping if you buy another movie. They pack it securely too. Deep Discount, maybe Grindhouse Video or Diabolik. Amazon always takes forever to get WAC titles.
It does ship eventually though? I'm ok with waiting for this one but that speed is ludicrously slow for something they advertise as in stock.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:33 PM   #250

Sep 2016

I ordered two from ImportCds about 3 weeks ago.
They're having a sale now.

https://www.importcds.com/the-fearle...s/883929696260
Thanks given by:
Mr. Thomsen (11-24-2019)
Old 11-23-2019, 10:16 PM   #251
Expert Member

Mar 2012

Since Warner released the dvd in 2004, it's become increasingly difficult to find the shorter US cut. I was able to compare both versions at some point when I had a VHS recording of the US cut from TCM. Alas, even if I found the tape in question, I no longer have a VHS player. I do prefer the longer UK cut but I'd like to check a couple of things:

It's been posted repeatedly that McGowran's voice was redubbed for the US. My recollection is that the Professor's voice was indeed different but not necessarily different enough to be from another actor. Could it be that the UK cut is overdubbed in postproduction while the US cut uses the original production audio? One scene in the US cut (Alfred and the Professor talking in the bedroom before they go looking around the courtyard in the morning) was actually longer, with some 10-15 seconds of footage at the very end. This would mean that the US version was cut from original film elements (the film premiered in New York before anywhere else).

Anyone can shed some light on this?
Old 11-27-2019, 09:43 AM   #252
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

I just watched the disc tonight. It looks stunning, but it does seem that Warner Archive left the blue day-for-night filter off that one sequence by mistake.

It's the whole sequence from 36:01-39:21 as Abronsius and Alfred follow Shagal across the countryside and infiltrate the castle.

The sequence is clearly set at night. In the previous scene, Abronsius talks about doing something during the day "tomorrow," indicating it's already night, and later scenes in the castle reference that it's the middle of the night too.

The old Warner DVD has a blue day-for-night filter over the whole sequence. I wonder why it's not present in this version. I'd be shocked if this reflects how the film was released theatrically.

Last edited by James Luckard; 11-27-2019 at 10:43 AM.
Old 11-27-2019, 10:21 AM   #253
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Here are a few comparison caps:

DVD:

BD:

DVD:

BD:

DVD:

BD:

DVD:

BD:

DVD:

BD:

The very first frame of the sequence, as they put on their skis:
DVD:

BD:

Last edited by James Luckard; 11-27-2019 at 10:41 AM.
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (12-17-2019), latehong (11-28-2019), UltraMario9 (11-30-2019)
Old 11-27-2019, 05:22 PM   #254
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Luckard View Post
I just watched the disc tonight. It looks stunning, but it does seem that Warner Archive left the blue day-for-night filter off that one sequence by mistake.

It's the whole sequence from 36:01-39:21 as Abronsius and Alfred follow Shagal across the countryside and infiltrate the castle.

The sequence is clearly set at night. In the previous scene, Abronsius talks about doing something during the day "tomorrow," indicating it's already night, and later scenes in the castle reference that it's the middle of the night too.

The old Warner DVD has a blue day-for-night filter over the whole sequence. I wonder why it's not present in this version. I'd be shocked if this reflects how the film was released theatrically.
I saw the film many times theatrically. The sky was meant to have a twilight quality.
It may have been graded slightly -- very very slightly -- darker but it was never blue.
NEVER BLUE. The blue on the DVD is ridiculous.
Thanks given by:
James Luckard (11-27-2019), Katatonia (11-27-2019)
Old 11-27-2019, 08:59 PM   #255
Special Member

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard--W View Post
I saw the film many times theatrically. The sky was meant to have a twilight quality.
It may have been graded slightly -- very very slightly -- darker but it was never blue.
The same thing was done with the WA blu-ray release of "The Valley Of Gwangi." The opening pre-credits scene is bathed in a heavy digital blue tint that's supposed to "improve" the day-for-night appearance that was never so blue saturated in any previous home video or theatrical print. I believe a few shots in the pre-credits scene for the WA release of Dracula AD1972 also has newly digital blue tinting but is done in a much more subtle manner.
Old 11-27-2019, 10:31 PM   #256
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard--W View Post
When they're walking through the graveyard it looks pretty much like daylight on the BD though. Is that really how it looked theatrically?

I've never seen the film from a 35mm print, I've only seen the laserdisc, years ago, the DVD and now the BD.
Old 11-27-2019, 11:12 PM   #257
Power Member

Jan 2013

Quote:
When they're walking through the graveyard it looks pretty much like daylight on the BD though. Is that really how it looked theatrically?

I've never seen the film from a 35mm print, I've only seen the laserdisc, years ago, the DVD and now the BD.
I suspect it was dark, but maybe not so blue. It certainly wasn't out of the quuestion to filter scenes in post production to make them darker back then. The day-for-night scenes in WITCHFINDER GENERAL are very dark.
Old 11-27-2019, 11:24 PM   #258
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Meteor View Post
I suspect it was dark, but maybe not so blue. It certainly wasn't out of the quuestion to filter scenes in post production to make them darker back then. The day-for-night scenes in WITCHFINDER GENERAL are very dark.
The weird thing is all the other day-for-night scenes on the BD look about the same as the DVD, though they're not this blue. This one is the only one that's radically different. It's entirely possible something extreme was done to the DVD. I don't claim to know the answer.
Thanks given by:
Kyle15 (11-28-2019)
Old 11-28-2019, 07:02 AM   #259
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2012

Quote:

No it should look like dusk, or twilight. There shouldn't be blue tinting. The moon
landscape as the opening titles scroll over it should be bone-white with no blue-
tinting. No blue tinting on the snow, either. Polanski didn't use blue for night.
Thanks given by:
Kyle15 (11-28-2019)
Old 11-30-2019, 12:04 PM   #260

Aug 2008
Rio de Janeiro

Good to know that it looks great.

If only I could get Amazon to ship my order...
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America