Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Wild Things 4K (Blu-ray)
$33.99
18 hrs ago
The Addams Family 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.71
52 min ago
The Northman 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Friday the 13th 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.14
1 day ago
The Last Duel 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Black Widow 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Tenebrae 4K (Blu-ray)
$59.99
1 day ago
The King's Man 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Spider-Man: No Way Home 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.25
1 day ago
Cruella 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
7 hrs ago
Uncharted 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.23
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 4K Ultra HD > 4K Blu-ray and 4K Movies

Old 12-09-2020, 11:13 PM   #9321

May 2017
Rock Ridge, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post
If I was on an airplane and had to lighten the load to stay in the air, Id keep the UHD set and drop the other two out the window and it wouldnt even be a close call.
...and they'd be looking better "in motion" but still fall short of the 4k overall.

edit: I don't wanna see this thread get locked again, gonna drop the negativity and get back to the positives.
Old 12-09-2020, 11:26 PM   #9322
Power Member

Jun 2014
UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnbelievableMontages View Post

Yikes!
You shall not, STAFF!!!
-Gandalf the deGrained.

Last edited by KMFDMvsEnya; 12-10-2020 at 01:56 AM.
Thanks given by:
OutOfBoose (12-10-2020)
Old 12-09-2020, 11:27 PM   #9323
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2013
Perth, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Bears View Post
I actually put them on ignore. Figure if they can add something of substance. might go back the reading their post, but right now it is like a circle jerk.

Target delayed my shipment to Dec 23, but the website says i could order and receive Dec 15. Not sure what to believe. Bright side Hobbits will be here tomorrow.
I don't mind a confrontation here and there for fun, if it's warranted. I like hearing their points of view (so I dont ignore, ever) to respond to them with mine. Clearly I like that stupid nonsense; but once it get circle jerky and they wanna bombard the thread man if it isn't just tedious at that point. Is it compulsion that keeps them continuing to post screenshots and screenshot links every page? IDK

Glad I love these discs because I am not marred by the plight they are feeling/facing -- Hope you enjoy the discs when they come. My Hobbit set is delayed who knows when. It said "before xmas". They aren't super important to watch right away for me.
Old 12-09-2020, 11:30 PM   #9324

Oct 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Freeman View Post
"Reviewers".
Lets start on our own turf and fix blu-ray.com review first.

According to Ralph Potts on AVS the information about re-scanning the negative came directly from the press documentation given to reviewers. Since this is an official source the reviewers are unlikely to provide a correction unless they get it from the same source. We really have to blame the studio for telling bald face lies.

What we CAN blame the reviewers for though is blindly swallowing these spoonfed lies rather than using their own critical eyes to judge.
Thanks given by:
Doff Hat (12-11-2020), Wes_k089 (12-10-2020)
Old 12-09-2020, 11:44 PM   #9325

Aug 2020

First time poster, long time lurker here, finally got my package today. Ordered from Wallmart for the first time to take advantage of a sale and hey they had it in stock.

It came packaged in a very basic bubble wrap though so of course one corner of the case is damaged so it won't close all the way. At least the outer box keeps it closed. Also had a floater with what looks like minor micro scratches. Hoping that's nothing to worry about. It is disappointing that you spend so much money and have to worry about these issues every single time!

Anyways looking forward to checking out fellowship extended tonight and seeing for myself what the deal is, as a real film grain lover I'm a little worried..
Thanks given by:
Doff Hat (12-11-2020), NoFro (12-10-2020), Wes_k089 (12-10-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 12:29 AM   #9326

Dec 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick4Knight View Post

Glad I love these discs because I am not marred by the plight they are feeling/facing -- Hope you enjoy the discs when they come. My Hobbit set is delayed who knows when. It said "before xmas". They aren't super important to watch right away for me.
I am sure I will. Started last Saturday and watched the EE versions of all 6 in HD on the iTunes app and love the movies. HDR should only add to it.

Contractor is done so I can set up my surround sound system. Will be my first experience with Atmos.
Old 12-10-2020, 12:47 AM   #9327
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2014

Remember when the theatrical Blu rays got a backlash for having underwhelming transfers and the extended set was way better? Hope the studios attention can be caught again
Old 12-10-2020, 01:01 AM   #9328
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2010

So! Here’s an interesting addition to Return of the King 4K that I haven’t seen anyone else mention (though I haven’t been able to keep up much with this thread lol).

This is in the extended edition, during the fight at Osgiliath, around 1:11:24 right after Faramir says “tell them we’re to break cover, we ride for Minas Tirith” and the camera pans through the city for a couple seconds and then you hear the Ringwraith cry, the guy who once mouthed “the Nazgűl” now very audibly says “the Nazgűl!”

I thought I was crazy because I was like “I could have sworn he just mouthed it” but I just popped in the extended Blu-ray and he definitely only mouths it.
Thanks given by:
Panama Jack (12-10-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 01:13 AM   #9329

Aug 2020

Thanks given by:
dannycj (12-10-2020), DaViD Boulet (11-01-2021), DavidNexus8 (12-10-2020), daycity (12-10-2020), James Freeman (12-10-2020), morphinapg (12-10-2020), NoFro (12-10-2020), OutOfBoose (12-10-2020), Psycho666 (12-10-2020), RobertR (05-20-2021)
Old 12-10-2020, 02:25 AM   #9330

Nov 2020

I am not a complainer really as I have not spent 90 dollars on the set, but Peter really has a strange way of doing things.

He knew very well fans and people were upset about the first color timing issue, and then in remastering all of this he creates an opposite color timing issue pushing warm on certain scenes in TTT and whatever else.

Now I haven't gotten a chance to watch these, so maybe it does blend with scenes around those moments, but it just seems so very strange to AGAIN alter the color timing drastically. Is this by chance how these were theatrically or something? Why go through this much trouble after the Fellowship debacle?

If I was him I could only think I'll make Fellowship right again and we don't touch anything else because you know they'll get the guns out. But here he goes again and drastically alters the film. It just boggles my mind really.

I wish I could watch the film all the way through to understand the process of changing the color timing so much.

https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=1&x...&l=1&i=13&go=1

I'm just not sure I understand the reasons for these wholesale color changes after the first one received almost universal disdain. Does this point in the picture somehow blend better with surrounding scenes now? I can't even remember where this is. Same goes for the tomb scene, which is now white where it was dank and dark before. It's just so weird that he wanted to make all these changes now but didn't make them before.

Last edited by Bellicose; 12-10-2020 at 02:36 AM.
Thanks given by:
DaViD Boulet (11-01-2021)
Old 12-10-2020, 02:31 AM   #9331

Aug 2013
Seattle, WA

After this review I’m gonna hold off on spending $80 on the set. Disappointing.
Old 12-10-2020, 02:39 AM   #9332

Aug 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by consumedsoul View Post
After this review I’m gonna hold off on spending $80 on the set. Disappointing.
Truth shall prevail.

Speaking my mind, I'm a huge fan of the old idea of adding grain over the CG-effects.

It's so clever, making everything much more believable, without it - things look like Tintin.

Also, adding one to another - LOTR revolves around medeival timelines/themes, digital does probably not belong.

Still curious how The Hobbit trilogy received 24-bit audio, LOTR contains 16-bit, amazing sound, not arguing - just weird.
Old 12-10-2020, 02:49 AM   #9333

May 2018

Has anyone had any issues playing these discs on an LG UBK90? Specifically the black levels get thrown off after I unpause. Tested theatrical FOTR and theatrical TTT so far both are exhibiting this issue. Not happening on my PS5, however.
Old 12-10-2020, 02:50 AM   #9334
Power Member

Jun 2014
UT

If anyone has kvetched more than once about George Lucas making Greedo shoot first or a plethora of other questionable changes as unacceptable revisionism but then can rationalize the unnecessary and detrimental additional DNR and sharpening applied to the LOTR Trilogy, and The Hobbit Trilogy too, as a non-issue that is frankly some inconsistent ire.
Old 12-10-2020, 02:58 AM   #9335

Oct 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcrk View Post
So! Here’s an interesting addition to Return of the King 4K that I haven’t seen anyone else mention (though I haven’t been able to keep up much with this thread lol).

This is in the extended edition, during the fight at Osgiliath, around 1:11:24 right after Faramir says “tell them we’re to break cover, we ride for Minas Tirith” and the camera pans through the city for a couple seconds and then you hear the Ringwraith cry, the guy who once mouthed “the Nazgűl” now very audibly says “the Nazgűl!”

I thought I was crazy because I was like “I could have sworn he just mouthed it” but I just popped in the extended Blu-ray and he definitely only mouths it.
There are actually tons of audio changes. There was another thread where someone was tracking them all.
Old 12-10-2020, 03:01 AM   #9336

Oct 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFDMvsEnya View Post
If anyone has kvetched more than once about George Lucas making Greedo shoot first or a plethora of other questionable changes as unacceptable revisionism but then can rationalize the unnecessary and detrimental additional DNR and sharpening applied to the LOTR Trilogy, and The Hobbit Trilogy too, as a non-issue that is frankly some inconsistent ire.
DNR and sharpening is more of a technical issue. What's really upsetting is all the color changes. These were deliberate creative decisions and they are no better than anything Lucas did.
Old 12-10-2020, 03:03 AM   #9337
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2015
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by tama View Post
I guess Peter Jackson is the new George Lucus
He's getting there.
Old 12-10-2020, 03:14 AM   #9338
Power Member

Jun 2014
UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachaeldeckard View Post
DNR and sharpening is more of a technical issue. What's really upsetting is all the color changes. These were deliberate creative decisions and they are no better than anything Lucas did.
The usage of DNR and sharpening can indeed be a stylistic choice and PJ effectively says as much in that recent video.

Besides, WTH did he apply DNR and sharpening to The Hobbit Trilogy as well?

There is even less technical reasons to apply that additional processing to digitally captured footage and more advanced VFX.
Old 12-10-2020, 03:18 AM   #9339

Jan 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachaeldeckard View Post
There was another thread where someone was tracking them all.
Said thread’s since gotten merged with this one.
Old 12-10-2020, 03:21 AM   #9340
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by captveg View Post
Hi Geoff - check your firmware language settings on the Pan 820. If you have "menu" language set to a language that does not have a menu set available on the disc for that language, say, Korean rather than English, then you will get the generic international "icon" English menus rather than the proper English text only menus.
Do you perhaps have Wizard of Oz? It seems like it has that generic menu regardless.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 4K Ultra HD > 4K Blu-ray and 4K Movies