Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Rampage (Blu-ray)
$9.99
 
Paul, Apostle of Christ (Blu-ray)
$14.96
 
Universal Classic Monsters: Complete 30-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$115.96
 
Chappaquiddick (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
The Equalizer 2 (Blu-ray)
$26.34
 
The Invisible Man: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99
 
Halloween 4K (Blu-ray)
$13.00
 
A Star Is Born (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
Mission: Impossible - Fallout (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
A Star Is Born 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Venom 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Alpha (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2017, 09:39 PM   #1
bakntim bakntim is online now
Active Member
 
bakntim's Avatar
 
Aug 2013
Los Angeles
5
Default Subwoofer Power Switch Setting Question

All of the subwoofers I have owned have had a Power On all the time setting or an AUTO/Standby setting that kicks on when the sub receives a signal from the amp. I know there can sometimes be quirks with the Auto setting so I have always left my subs always in the ON setting all the time. Do you think this matters? Or tasks the sub amp life at all? Just curious as I just had 2 lousy Klipsch subs die within a week of each other and I always had them set to ON. Thanks for any insight here.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 11:33 PM   #2
radek_t radek_t is offline
Member
 
radek_t's Avatar
 
Jan 2011
British Columbia
166
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakntim View Post
All of the subwoofers I have owned have had a Power On all the time setting or an AUTO/Standby setting that kicks on when the sub receives a signal from the amp. I know there can sometimes be quirks with the Auto setting so I have always left my subs always in the ON setting all the time. Do you think this matters? Or tasks the sub amp life at all? Just curious as I just had 2 lousy Klipsch subs die within a week of each other and I always had them set to ON. Thanks for any insight here.
I would say yes, leaving your subwoofer on even when you're not listening to it will shorten it's lifespan as there's still current going through it even though it's not under load. It's no different than leaving your A/V receiver on 24/7 when you're not watching anything.

I have my subs plugged into a power conditioner that has a bank of switched outlets and they get switched on and off by my receiver (trigger 1) that way I can leave the main switch in the off position and the power conditioner controls when they come on and turn off.


Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
bakntim (11-18-2017)
Old 11-18-2017, 08:06 AM   #3
bakntim bakntim is online now
Active Member
 
bakntim's Avatar
 
Aug 2013
Los Angeles
5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek_t View Post
I would say yes, leaving your subwoofer on even when you're not listening to it will shorten it's lifespan as there's still current going through it even though it's not under load. It's no different than leaving your A/V receiver on 24/7 when you're not watching anything.

I have my subs plugged into a power conditioner that has a bank of switched outlets and they get switched on and off by my receiver (trigger 1) that way I can leave the main switch in the off position and the power conditioner controls when they come on and turn off.


Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

Thank you for that insight. Good stuff to think about.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 11:28 AM   #4
marcpamjoce marcpamjoce is offline
Junior Member
 
marcpamjoce's Avatar
 
Apr 2017
166
Default

I have my subs set up on a trigger cable, so when my processor turns on the subs do as well. Is this not an option for you?
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 03:40 PM   #5
bakntim bakntim is online now
Active Member
 
bakntim's Avatar
 
Aug 2013
Los Angeles
5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcpamjoce View Post
I have my subs set up on a trigger cable, so when my processor turns on the subs do as well. Is this not an option for you?
Possibly. I’ll look into it. My subs are really far away from my equipment which I have in a separate closet and are a bit of a hassle runnng wires to. Thank you!

Last edited by bakntim; 11-19-2017 at 03:47 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 12:23 PM   #6
NzYme NzYme is offline
Senior Member
 
NzYme's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
363
6
Default

I was going to ask the same question that BaknTim proposed since I wondered if keep it off when I'm not using it could extend the life of the plate amplifier.

For all who replied: Could you guys post the 12-volt trigger switches or power conditioners you mentioned? I'd love to pick one up!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 12:54 PM   #7
marcpamjoce marcpamjoce is offline
Junior Member
 
marcpamjoce's Avatar
 
Apr 2017
166
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzYme View Post
I was going to ask the same question that BaknTim proposed since I wondered if keep it off when I'm not using it could extend the life of the plate amplifier.

For all who replied: Could you guys post the 12-volt trigger switches or power conditioners you mentioned? I'd love to pick one up!!
The 12-volt trigger should be on the back of your Pioneer, you have 2 assignable slots. If you need more slots, look at something like this:

https://emotiva.com/product/et-3/
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 01:47 PM   #8
hometheatergeek hometheatergeek is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
hometheatergeek's Avatar
 
Feb 2008
Near Atlanta GA
47
226
49
2
Default

Just to add to the conversation, I have a Velodyne VA-1012 bought in the mid- 90s and it is still working after having it on almost continuously for 22 years. The only time it has been off is when I unplug it from the wall during thunderstorms. Most newer amps draw less than 5 watts of power when they are not getting a signal and are in their idle mode.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
bakntim (11-26-2017)
Old 11-26-2017, 06:53 PM   #9
Steve Steve is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Steve's Avatar
 
May 2008
Jacksonville, FL
54
318
41
Default

I have two subs from Power Sound Audio and they stay on 24/7. I was leaving them on auto initially but one of them makes a clicking sound when it turns on or off. My wife found it a little annoying so I just turned them both on and left them that way.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
bakntim (11-26-2017)
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:01 AM.