Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Halloween 4K Collection (Blu-ray)
$104.99
10 hrs ago
The Return of the Living Dead 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
10 hrs ago
Bullet Train 4K Limited Edition (Blu-ray)
$42.99
1 day ago
The Last Detail 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
4 hrs ago
Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
10 hrs ago
Bullet Train 4K (Blu-ray)
$30.99
1 day ago
Abbott & Costello: The Complete Universal Pictures Collection (Blu-ray)
$85.00
4 hrs ago
Starship Troopers 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Lost Highway 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Spider-Man: No Way Home 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.99

When Marnie Was There (Blu-ray)
$19.99
14 hrs ago
Where the Crawdads Sing (Blu-ray)
$26.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 01-08-2007, 08:05 PM   #1

Dec 2006
Chicago NW burbs
Default Legends of Jazz BD Disc read error. follow-up (solution)

Guys, today I had the first little problem with my PS3: I just got Legends of Jazz from Buy.com today. I inserted it into PS3 and after a few second delay I saw an error: This video cannot be played. Error 80029907.
Do you have any idea why would this be? Bad disc (it is new, no scratches etc.)? Or something in the setup? I tried a few other BD movies and all play fine.
Setup details:
PS3 firmware: 1.32 (latest)
Connected via HDMI to Sharp 1080P LCD panel.
I called Sony support and the only thing the CSR lady told me was to contact the publisher and report this problem. Not too helpful, but I am not too surpirised.

Last edited by TauRus; 01-08-2007 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:10 PM   #2

Jan 2007

Hi,

Do you have other movies? I've not tried the one you describe but if your other movies work, then there is likely a problem with the disc. Another thing you can try is another PS3 -- I bought mine from a local EB Games store and they're pretty good about checking the discs.

Good luck
Old 01-08-2007, 09:21 PM   #3

Dec 2006
Chicago NW burbs

Yes, all my other BD or SD discs play fine, just this one gives me the error. I rechecked all the settings on the PS3, cannot see anything on the PS3 that might be causing it.
Btw, would be nice to have a legend for all these error codes so that we knew where the problem is. Anyone knows what error 80029907 is?
Old 01-08-2007, 09:32 PM   #4

Jul 2004
Belgium

Darn, these guys are building such a database, but it's not on their list... http://www.gamer411.com/forum/615/2/...ror_Codes.html

Maybe you should try technical support of Sony CE, to find out what the error code means...
Old 01-08-2007, 09:33 PM   #5

Dec 2006
Chicago NW burbs

OK, I got an update: I just talked with the publisher, LRSMedia. They acknowledged that there was an early batch that was authored incorrectly. They are going to ship me a replacement at no cost. That is a very good business practice.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:46 PM   #6
Power Member

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by TauRus View Post
OK, I got an update: I just talked with the publisher, LRSMedia. They acknowledged that there was an early batch that was authored incorrectly. They are going to ship me a replacement at no cost. That is a very good business practice.

Great news. It's a really great looking disc too, by the way.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:11 PM   #7
Special Member

Nov 2006

They posted this problem and offered exchanges over on AVSForum. You should check there when you have such a problem.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:15 PM   #8

Dec 2006
Chicago NW burbs

Well AVS has been mostly down due to CES I guess and they also disabled the search function, perhaprs temporarily because of that. But thanks for the tip about the post.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:49 AM   #9
Special Member

Nov 2006

Quote:
Well AVS has been mostly down due to CES I guess and they also disabled the search function, perhaprs temporarily because of that. But thanks for the tip about the post.
I'm pretty sure they offered the replacement as soon as the problem popped up, well over a month ago.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:41 AM   #10

Jan 2007

interestingly enough, when I took this disc to my local Sony Style store, it worked on their Blu-Ray equipped Vaio... but not on their PS3s...
Old 01-09-2007, 11:04 PM   #11

Dec 2006
Chicago NW burbs

I had a nice surprise waiting for me at home when I came back from work - a DHL package with the replacement disc. They shipped it 2nd day and included a prepaid package for the return shipment.
I quickly put the disc into my PS3 and it played fine. Wow! Great compilation! Audio is amazing, video is terrific too. Highly recommended! I wish we had more publishers like LSR Media out there - providing creative content and along with top notch customer support. I will make a point to give them a call tomorrow morning to express my satisfaction.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:23 PM   #12
Power Member

Sep 2006

Quote:
I had a nice surprise waiting for me at home when I came back from work - a DHL package with the replacement disc. They shipped it 2nd day and included a prepaid package for the return shipment.
I quickly put the disc into my PS3 and it played fine. Wow! Great compilation! Audio is amazing, video is terrific too. Highly recommended! I wish we had more publishers like LSR Media out there - providing creative content and along with top notch customer support. I will make a point to give them a call tomorrow morning to express my satisfaction.
Glad to hear everything worked out for you with this title. It really is a great disc. I can't wait until Panasonic issues their FW update so that I can listed to the TrueHD program, but eve the extracted DD core sounds good, and the PQ is good as well. Because of your positive experience, I'll be sure to support LSR as much as I can should they continue with their BD releases that interest me.

Last edited by GoldenRedux; 01-10-2007 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:09 PM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2007

Just got the email from Blockbuster that this has shipped. Hopefully it will be a working disc. Does this disc not have an uncompressed PCM track?
Old 02-20-2007, 04:17 PM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2006
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Send a message via Yahoo to WriteSimply Send a message via Skype™ to WriteSimply

So is anybody who got it to work with his/her player going to make at least a brief review of the disc, including if there are any sort of extras?

fuad
Old 02-22-2007, 02:55 PM   #15
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2007

****! It was a bad disc. I'm going to report it to Blockbuster and will try again later.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:56 PM   #16

Jan 2007
HockeyTown

I got my Legends of Jazz today.
I put it in my PS3 (1.51) and it played without any problem.
The picture is just amazing!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WriteSimply View Post
So is anybody who got it to work with his/her player going to make at least a brief review of the disc, including if there are any sort of extras?

fuad
Here is review on this disk:

http://www.hometheaterspot.com/htsth...?sequence=1603

Quote:
Without a doubt this is the best concert video Iíve ever seen..... itís the cleanest high definition experience Iíve ever seen.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:12 AM   #17
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2006
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Send a message via Yahoo to WriteSimply Send a message via Skype™ to WriteSimply

Quote:
Originally Posted by MozartMan View Post
How's the audio quality of the TrueHD track, Mozart? Hope you got your PS3 hooked up using HDMI.

fuad
Old 02-28-2007, 11:41 AM   #18

Jan 2007

Quote:
I'm also running 1.51, but mine won't work... according to LRS Media, it was an authoring problem... you probably got the new batch which rectified the problem... IMO, we need more jazz in HD!
Old 02-28-2007, 12:13 PM   #19
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2006
Switzerland

Quote:
Where did you order it from? I hope it was amazon.com, that would mean I could place my order too (I suppose it would indicate that the 'bad' badge isn't in stock anymore?)
Old 02-28-2007, 12:16 PM   #20

Jan 2007
HockeyTown

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDJK View Post
Where did you order it from? I hope it was amazon.com, that would mean I could place my order too (I suppose it would indicate that the 'bad' badge isn't in stock anymore?)
Yes, I got it from Amazon.com.

I also got The Fifth Element and Italian Job.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America