Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Amazon Prime Day is Now Live »
Prime: Fast & Furious 8-Movie Collect… $44.99 (10 hours left)

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (Blu-ray)
£9.99

The Lion King 4K (Blu-ray)
£15.00

The Shape of Water 4K (Blu-ray)
£12.99
15 hrs ago
Midnight Cowboy (Blu-ray)
£9.99

Ralph Breaks the Internet (Blu-ray)
£9.99

Captain Marvel 3D (Blu-ray)
£18.00
21 hrs ago
Glass 4K (Blu-ray)
£20.00
16 hrs ago
Mirai (Blu-ray)
£23.99
1 hr ago
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri 4K (Blu-ray)
£12.99
15 hrs ago
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World 4K (Blu-ray)
£20.12
1 hr ago
Mary Poppins Returns (Blu-ray)
£11.99

Buster Keaton: Three Films 1924-1928 (Blu-ray)
£17.99
23 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Old 12-04-2008, 04:53 PM   #101
Retired Hollywood Insider

Apr 2007

Dr. A, thanks for the effort and looking forward to hearing from the BFI……James White perhaps?

I know that Midnight Transfer does work for the BFI and uses the same tools that Torsten has mentioned in his post but, I have no idea if the work was done in Italy or Wardour Street
London though.

Last edited by Penton-Man; 12-04-2008 at 04:55 PM. Reason: spellin
Old 12-04-2008, 04:56 PM   #102
Retired Hollywood Insider

Apr 2007

An aside regarding MTI Film………….
Deci – when you attended The Reel Thing XX in L.A., did you get the chance to hear Dr. Manbeck from MTI speak ?

http://www.amianet.org/events/theree...s.html#Manbeck
Old 12-04-2008, 05:58 PM   #103
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penton-Man View Post
Dr. A, thanks for the effort .
Old 12-13-2008, 03:35 PM   #104

Oct 2007

I've now had an opportunity to peruse the Blu-ray of Salo, and here's what I'm seeing.

The film appears to have been scanned on the wrong equipment, as notches have affected the stability of every shot. If a facility does not have the means to correct these problems digitally, the element should be scanned pin-registered, which should be unaffected, or far less affected, by the timing notches.

The entire film appears to have been processed to remove grain, with additional processing in an attempt to make it look more like film. It does not. The final result is fully digital.

Because of the processing, high frequency information has been lost.

All in all, at least to my eye, not a pretty picture, and assuming that earlier information is correct, none of these problems stem from the BFI.

RAH
Old 12-13-2008, 04:23 PM   #105

Nov 2008

I confirmed the information re: SALO. The film elements were handled in Rome (as I suspected, by Technicolor; this was not the first time this issue came up) without the presence of anybody from the BFI. The master was made not from a transfer direct to HD but a 2K scan of the material (from what I am seeing here, on a 2K Spirit - that still has the little porcelain piece near the lens head attached, which is part of the cause of the distortions). Then the files were converted and played to out to an HD tape, in this case an HDCAMSR. This is what the BFI received, not the 2K files. I do not know whether the SR was done 4:4:4 RGB, but I suspect it was not, so it was made 24psf 1080 - probably 4:2:2 YUV. During that scan (!!!!!) already De-Noising was attributed - so it could not be removed. The color timing is another issue, but the "bugs" were already in the "flesh" before the 2K downconvert HDCAMSR made it to the hands of the BFI team.
The "processing" that you refered to, Robert, is the trail of a de-noising tool such as Digital Vision produces it. It removes grain by cleansing the image intraframe from not only grain but any HF detail and replaces it with an almost veil-like shroud if made too agressively. The artifacts left behind are crystal sharp and on the file resemble little sugar powder that replaces the original pixel information.

A pin-registered scanner such as an IMAGICA would have been, indeed, better for this material - not to mention that the use of de-noising during the scan is something that is beyond belief.

Last edited by Torsten Kaiser TLE; 12-13-2008 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12-13-2008, 04:50 PM   #106
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Harris View Post
I've now had an opportunity to peruse the Blu-ray of Salo, and here's what I'm seeing.
Hello Robert,

And thank you for sharing your thoughts. While, obviously, you see things, given your experience, that I did not, I would like to make the following comments:

I continue to share the opinion that from all the versions of this film available, on any format, this does appear to be the most acceptable one. Which is what my score reveals.

I've thought about inviting James White to publicly comment on Michel's accusations, as he did address the look of SALO in the booklet to the BD, but obviously this is no longer a great idea given the extreme accusations that were made in this thread.

In any event thank you for sharing your thoughts.

S
Old 12-13-2008, 05:15 PM   #107

Oct 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist View Post
I continue to share the opinion that from all the versions of this film available, on any format, this does appear to be the most acceptable one. Which is what my score reveals.
S
And I would agree with you in every respect.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:28 PM   #108

Sep 2008
Netherlands, Haarlem
Send a message via MSN to Godbluffer Send a message via Skype™ to Godbluffer

Quote:
Does "most acceptable" in this case really justify a 4,5 out of 5 score for PQ? If you take this further, then *any* Blu-ray that looks better than its DVD counterpart can be considered "most acceptable" - which is just about every single one - and according to this logic should all get very high marks! Anyone can understand that your logic is therefore seriously flawed.

Blu-ray is a medium that has set the standards much higher than DVD, and should therefore be judged by those standards alone. Some well respected experts here have convincingly argued that this transfer still leaves quite a lot to be desired, so a near perfect score for PQ simply isn't justified in this case. The right thing to do would therefore be to modify the PQ rating so that it reasonably reflects these shortcomings, and also to modify the review's text so that it says that it's - at least for now! - the most acceptable version available.

Last edited by Godbluffer; 12-16-2008 at 07:54 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:02 PM   #109
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godbluffer View Post
Does "most acceptable" in this case really justify a 4,5 out of 5 score for PQ? If you take this further, then *any* Blu-ray that looks better than its DVD counterpart can be considered "most acceptable" - which is just about every single one - and according to this logic should all get very high marks! Anyone can understand that your logic is therefore seriously flawed.

Blu-ray is a medium that has set the standards much higher than DVD, and should therefore be judged by those standards alone. Some well respected experts here have convincingly argued that this transfer still leaves quite a lot to be desired, so a near perfect score for PQ simply isn't justified in this case. The right thing to do would therefore be to modify the PQ rating so that it reasonably reflects these shortcomings, and also to modify the review's text so that it says that it's - at least for now! - the most acceptable version available.
In my opinion, 4,5 out of 5 is indeed where this transfer stands. Furthermore, I happen to believe that there aren't universal standards that Blu-ray has set in terms of quality and adequate replication of the "original" theatrical look that we could all follow (on a different forum a small group of people has come forward in claiming possession of these standards, and apparently feels qualified to critically deconstruct every Blu-ray release claiming that their evaluation is correct, but I am most certainly not a fan of their methodology). If there were, then we would not have people questioning The Dark Knight, a BD transfer which is apparently regarded by Mr.Harris as one of the best to be released in 2008.

Furthermore, precisely because I knew that there will be plenty of controversy surrounding SALO, I ended up providing the complete text from James White supplied in the booklet. In my view, since obviously BFI evaluated the transfer, prior to approving it for replication, and gave it a green light, there is enough of an evidence to conclude that my evaluation of this release is shared by other parties as well.

Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 12-16-2008 at 11:12 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:55 AM   #110

Sep 2007

This is probably the worst release I have ever seen on BD.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:57 AM   #111

Sep 2007

Quote:
I would like to know what is you basis for comparison to state that the print BFI have provided does not look like the film it came from.

Because no film has ever or will ever look like this. This is not film. Is that hard to understand?
Old 03-25-2009, 12:41 AM   #112

Oct 2008
Taiwan

French release of Salo on '22 avril 2009 '
http://www.amazon.fr/Salo-120-jours-...ref=pd_sbs_d_3
It's a sony title so maybe it's region free?
Old 03-26-2009, 07:51 AM   #113

Mar 2009
beijing
Send a message via MSN to MarkBrad
Red face absolutely banned here!

I am afarid I only can download to take a look...sb.would give me that link?
Old 03-26-2009, 07:54 AM   #114
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by z4017 View Post
French release of Salo on '22 avril 2009 '
http://www.amazon.fr/Salo-120-jours-...ref=pd_sbs_d_3
It's a sony title so maybe it's region free?
Amazon's info is incorrect - the film is distributed in France by Carlotta Films.

Pro-B
Old 03-26-2009, 10:08 AM   #115
Special Member

Sep 2007
verge of breakdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsb View Post
Because no film has ever or will ever look like this. This is not film. Is that hard to understand?
Isn't it great you have that info now, so you can completely avoid this release?
Old 03-26-2009, 01:03 PM   #116
Expert Member

Oct 2007
Chicago, IL

Is there any information on the region coding of the frence release? I would be very interested in seeing this film. I have a copy of it without subtitles which becomes boring to watch considering I do not have the abilities to understand another language lol, good ol imported DVD's. Anywho I would be down for a group buy if I could watch this BD on my US PS3...
Old 03-27-2009, 01:31 AM   #117

Oct 2008
Taiwan

http://www.dvdfr.com/dvd/f151215-sal...de-sodome.html
From dvdfr it may get region locked.
Luckily I'll not plan to grab this title and don't need to worry about it!
Old 03-27-2009, 04:25 AM   #118
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeOfAPirate13 View Post
Is there any information on the region coding of the frence release?
Hello,

This will be a Region-B "locked" release.

Pro-B
Old 04-20-2009, 08:59 PM   #119
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-
-

update:

Pro-B
Old 04-20-2009, 10:04 PM   #120
Special Member

Jul 2007
Dublin, Ireland

Pro-B, is there any likelihood of the French release being an improvement over the UK one?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland