Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Fast & Furious 8-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.93

Chucky: The Complete 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Spartacus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$26.99

Men in Black: International 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Murder! (Blu-ray)
$19.98
10 hrs ago
The New Scooby-Doo Movies: The (Almost) Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$30.38

Local Hero (Blu-ray)
$27.37
17 hrs ago
Conjuring Universe Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.48

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

My Hero Academia: Season Three Part Two (Blu-ray)
$45.69

The Bourne Classified Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 09-09-2008, 07:48 PM   #1
Power Member

Sep 2007
Houston
Default New Song Towers Here!

Well, they finally came in today! They are absolutely beautiful, and the sound is incredible. I'm truly blown away, and they have yet to break in (I think the break in time is around 100 hours). The voicing is unlike anything I've ever heard, and the imaging is precise and huge. My room is far from ideal (it's my bedroom in a tiny apartment on my college campus), but they still sound great. I can't wait to get them into a place that will allow them to really open up and be heard how they were intended. And of course, no thread would be complete without pics, so here is a before (my Klipsch speakers, followed by the new ST's). A quick aside, I haven't put the plinths on yet, but plan on getting around to it.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:55 PM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2007
Abiit, excessit, evasit, erupit

Beautiful! How do they sound? Are they as fabu as everyone says?
Old 09-09-2008, 08:02 PM   #3
Power Member

Sep 2007
Houston

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUR View Post
Beautiful! How do they sound? Are they as fabu as everyone says?
That they are! Don't think I've heard anything quite like it to be honest. The voicing is so real, and the cd the Jim includes just brings out how great the speakers are. I've yet to do any real calibration yet, and my placement is very limited, but even still I can't believe how real they sound. So many have said that they disappear into the room, and they most certainly do!
Old 09-09-2008, 08:14 PM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2007

I'm not surprised. Everyone who buys them finds them to be terrific speakers. When you put the plinths on, you'll get tighter bass.

Congratulations!
Old 09-09-2008, 08:25 PM   #5
Power Member

Feb 2007
Somewhere between here and there
Send a message via AIM to Valore

Happy to see you're blasting a Zeppelin CD to break those bad boys in
Old 09-09-2008, 08:53 PM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2008
Milwaukee, WI

Wow, those are beautiful speakers. Congrats.

Noob question of the day: what are plinths? (I always enjoy all the links and information you guys post, so thanks in advance.)

So... what are you going to do with the Klipsh speakers?
Old 09-09-2008, 09:36 PM   #7

Jan 2008
Juuuuuuuust A Bit Outside....

be careful placing them by an open doorway.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:40 PM   #8
Power Member

Apr 2008
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valore View Post
Happy to see you're blasting a Zeppelin CD to break those bad boys in
I could not agree more. Great choice !
Old 09-09-2008, 09:40 PM   #9
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007
Miami, FL
Send a message via AIM to JJ Send a message via Yahoo to JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis109 View Post
Wow, those are beautiful speakers. Congrats.

Noob question of the day: what are plinths? (I always enjoy all the links and information you guys post, so thanks in advance.)

So... what are you going to do with the Klipsh speakers?
These little stands you put floorstanders on, for example these come standard for 683s: (this is not my set-up, just a online picture!! ...and I'm loving that Rotel gear)

Old 09-09-2008, 09:44 PM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis109 View Post
See the black bases on these Salk's?
http://www.salksound.com/SongTower.shtml

Those are plinths. Aesthetics aside, they add spikes to the base of the speaker, "anchoring" it to the floor and improving bass response.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:47 PM   #11
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007
Miami, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUR View Post
See the black bases on these Salk's?
http://www.salksound.com/SongTower.shtml

Those are plinths. Aesthetics aside, they add spikes to the base of the speaker, "anchoring" it to the floor and improving bass response.
That was the uhhmm...technical definition that should've gone along with the picture I put up... Thanks, RUR.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:43 PM   #12
Power Member

Jan 2008

Excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A couple questions please????

The finish......... is it a natural finish or is it a semi/gloss finish??? Just wondering before I confirm on the Song sub. I need a high gloss finish and I know Jim offers quite a few finishes so I'm sure he will be able to take care of me.

Did you already go ahead with the Denon 2910???

That is a beautiful choice and you might not want to share them with anyone. I would be afraid a thief would catch wind.

Congratulations !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-10-2008, 12:26 AM   #13
Power Member

Sep 2007
Houston

Thanks everyone!

Beta, the speakers aren't actually in front of an open door, there is a back wall there. However, the way the room is set up it's really my only location at the time being.

Mdabb, my finish choice was walnut with a dye to make them darker. I didn't have them hand rubbed or anything, but they don't need to (as you can see from the pics). And I did go ahead with the Denon 2910, just waiting on it to be shipped. I also did some comparison of ps3/receiver/speakers vs preamp/amp/speakers (with a $20 dvd player for cds haha) and there is no comparison at all. The mid/highs are so much more detailed and crisp, it's night and day. As far as thieves are concerned, my bedroom door locks automatically fortunately

Oh, and I'm going to move the klipsch out to the common room area for now. They seem to be pretty good party speakers, and they have the "spl" factor, so I'm sure that'll go over well.

Last edited by Intamin; 09-10-2008 at 12:36 AM.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:18 AM   #14
Power Member

Jan 2008

Are you looking for a power conditioner as well??? Saw a few nice ones on Audiogon for a decent price. I forgot I was going to need a second one for the two channel setup since it's going to have it's own dedicated circuit.

I might get ripped on for this but I just picked up a second brand new Monster Power Center for a nice price shipped off of AGON. I happen to like the Monster brand power conditioner's even if many think they're overpriced. I think they have a great build quality compared to some of their competitors and are actually fair priced compared to some of the high-end power conditioner manufacturers. Anyhow I am satisfied with them and if the only negative comments about them are price then that is definitely beside the point.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:26 AM   #15
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007
Miami, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdabb View Post
Are you looking for a power conditioner as well??? Saw a few nice ones on Audiogon for a decent price. I forgot I was going to need a second one for the two channel setup since it's going to have it's own dedicated circuit.

I might get ripped on for this but I just picked up a second brand new Monster Power Center for a nice price shipped off of AGON. I happen to like the Monster brand power conditioner's even if many think they're overpriced. I think they have a great build quality compared to some of their competitors and are actually fair priced compared to some of the high-end power conditioner manufacturers. Anyhow I am satisfied with them and if the only negative comments about them are price then that is definitely beside the point.
Which one did you acquire? I was looking at the low-end 1600 or the 3600 - did you go for the 5200 series (I think that was the number)?
Old 09-10-2008, 04:31 AM   #16
Power Member

Sep 2007
Houston

Quote:
I am, but just not right away. I need a new receiver with preouts so I can run both sets of speakers. Once I get that all straightened out, then I'll move on to a conditioner I think.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:33 AM   #17
Power Member

Jan 2008

I already own the 1600 and just picked up the 3600. I was going to pick up an even more expensive model but the the 3600 does everything I need it to do so I don't need any of the extra features when it comes down to it since they won't get used.

I got the 1600 a few years ago and liked that it was very slim. A huge selling point for me at the time.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:37 AM   #18
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007
Miami, FL

Quote:
I already own the 1600 and just picked up the 3600. I was going to pick up an even more expensive model but the the 3600 does everything I need it to do so I don't need any of the extra features when it comes down to it since they won't get used.

I got the 1600 a few years ago and liked that it was very slim. A huge selling point for me at the time.
Other than build quality, and I know this is a played-out question by far, mdabb, but I must ask anyway - you don't notice any of this supposed increase in PQ/AQ? I've always thought it was a placebo effect due to marketing/propaganda - if anything I would get the conditioner for the peace of mind from storm surges, living in South Florida. That would be my primary selling point. And that slimness too, - would look very nice on my stand. I almost pulled the plug on the 1600 today from Amazon at $180.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:57 AM   #19
Power Member

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJxiv1215 View Post
Other than build quality, and I know this is a played-out question by far, mdabb, but I must ask anyway - you don't notice any of this supposed increase in PQ/AQ? I've always thought it was a placebo effect due to marketing/propaganda - if anything I would get the conditioner for the peace of mind from storm surges, living in South Florida. That would be my primary selling point. And that slimness too, - would look very nice on my stand. I almost pulled the plug on the 1600 today from Amazon at $180.

I haven't tried any experiments with or without it. The main reasons for me is surge protection, power stabilization and I personally don't like power surge strips. In the end if your in the market to get a power center get the one you like right??? As long as it serves it's purposes.

As for propaganda.............I think every company has a sales pitch. I personally like Monster Power power centers/conditioners..... Personal preference.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:25 AM   #20
Expert Member

Feb 2008

Quote:

I have the 1600 one also , been thinking on going up to the 3600 also .I like it for surge protection also , & when compared to an extended warrenty price vs the Monster , it was cheaper . plus I actually got to own it..LOL

Also its funny I found this post as I'm looking at the new Monster Power book beside me, My Daughter works for Circuit City and tonight she called me and said she had some Monster stuff for me. She just got home from a Monster training day, She gets me all the goodies they have t-shirts ,books and so forth , last one she got to meet Noel lee ( head Monster) and he gave me his e-mail too. and said to send a line and he'd send me alot of of cool stuff..
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers