Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Rampage (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Universal Classic Monsters: Complete 30-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$115.96
8 hrs ago
Paul, Apostle of Christ (Blu-ray)
$14.96

The Invisible Man: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99

The Equalizer 2 (Blu-ray)
$26.34

Mission: Impossible - Fallout (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Chappaquiddick (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Halloween 4K (Blu-ray)
$13.00

A Star Is Born (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The House of the Devil (Blu-ray)
$8.99

The Night Strangler (Blu-ray)
$19.34
19 hrs ago
Venom 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors

Old 12-12-2017, 05:07 PM   #172081
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Mar 2012
New York City

Not sure if this would interest anyone here, but Filmstruck has an offer where you can a free Roku Express with the gift purchase of a $99 subscription.

https://www.filmstruck.com/us/give

Quote:
Holiday Double Feature
Give the gift of FilmStruck and get a free Roku Express

From classic cinema to art films and indies, FilmStruck is the gift that keeps on giving all year long. This holiday season, purchase a $99 gift subscription and get a free Roku Express. Stream for yourself, or send the Roku player to someone special.

Offer valid while supplies last. Roku players will ship in five to seven business days.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:43 PM   #172082

Jan 2016
Italy

Hi I wrote the below post to "Lady Snowblood thread", after I saw this Criterion thread

"Hello, I purchased from amazon.com the complete lady snowblood on bluray by criterion,
unfortunately it arrives without the poster insert inside (was sealed and with blue sticker of criterion) , amazon refund me, but I sent one email to criterion asking a chance to have the insert .... anyone contact them ? how is the customer service ? thanks"

EDIT : I have a kind reply by Criterion, very professional Thanks Criterion !

Last edited by Francisco73; 12-12-2017 at 09:48 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:31 PM   #172083

Jan 2012
Send a message via AIM to Ctzalman Send a message via Skype™ to Ctzalman

just received monterey pop in the mail. i thought i had ordered the complete set, but it is the standard release. i checked my amazon account, i was def in error. however, now that i'm looking into the differences, i'm a bit unsure as to the contents. dvdbeaver's review makes it sound like the complete edition has a bonus disc of content, in addition to the Jimi/Otis disc:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDBeaver
To clear up the packages; There are two in 2017 being released by Criterion. "The Complete Monterey Pop Festival" is a three Blu-ray disc package. There is also a 2017 single Blu-ray disc new release that is only the first disc of the 'Complete'. Both have 'New 16-bit 4K digital restorations'. The 'Complete' has a second disc of two hours of performances not included in Monterey Pop...
however, the criterion.com page shows the standard release as a two-disc set, and it shows the two hours of bonus footage as extra content. looking at criterion and this site, it appears the only difference between the two sets (other than packaging), is that the complete set contains the Jimi/Otis disc...? Can anyone confirm if that is the case?

i've already got the old set from 2009, and it looks like the Jimi/Otis disc are identical between the new and old releases. if that's the case, it looks like my error with amazon was actually rather fortuitous.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:49 PM   #172084
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by theater dreamer View Post
That's the problem. Ten's just too restrictive.

A friend asked me for my ten favorite films of all-time on Facebook. I gave her thirty, and even that was a challenge.
I'm guessing that she probably didn't read through the list or that she felt that she didn't get what she was hoping for. (that is, if she was looking for recommendations.)

I think a 'top ten' is only ten for a reason. unless its some kind of comprehensive list published by Sight and Sound, AFI, or whomever, I think it really becomes uninteresting after 10.
Thanks given by:
cicada88 (12-12-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 08:15 PM   #172085
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Jul 2013
Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwdowiak View Post
I'm guessing that she probably didn't read through the list or that she felt that she didn't get what she was hoping for. (that is, if she was looking for recommendations.)

I think a 'top ten' is only ten for a reason. unless its some kind of comprehensive list published by Sight and Sound, AFI, or whomever, I think it really becomes uninteresting after 10.
I completely disagree.

But anyway, my feeling is lists like these need to be limited somehow. Top 10 Russian language films; Top 10 films from the 1960s; Top 10 silent films; Top 10 French New Wave films. Etc.

There have been so many films released, in so many languages, from so many decades, in so many different styles and movements -- at some point asking for a list of Top 10 of all-time just gets ... not sure of the word to use, but insane might be one.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:31 PM   #172086
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2009
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post
I completely disagree.

But anyway, my feeling is lists like these need to be limited somehow. Top 10 Russian language films; Top 10 films from the 1960s; Top 10 silent films; Top 10 French New Wave films. Etc.

There have been so many films released, in so many languages, from so many decades, in so many different styles and movements -- at some point asking for a list of Top 10 of all-time just gets ... not sure of the word to use, but insane might be one.
I agree. Lists without context don't do anything for me. When I see pages and pages of lists I skip over them. Many of the films in the collection are already recognized world classics so seeing them appear on someone's list is not surprising.

I think something that would be more constructive is adding why one enjoys these films. I believe in Howard Hawks' theory that a great movie will have 3 scenes that really stand out and are unforgettable.

For example, The Red Shoes:

1. The dazzling ballet sequence
2. "Why do you want to live?" (For me this is the easiest way to describe the film - its topic sentence)
3. Julian and Vicky in a heated argument. The camera shifts to Boris with a devilish grin on his face.

Last edited by ShellOilJunior; 12-12-2017 at 10:59 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:35 PM   #172087
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post
I completely disagree.

or your top 10 films.

there's a lot of things I can eat for lunch, too, but that doesn't make the decision making process that difficult. pastrami on rye's feelings won't be hurt and neither will the films that get left off of AaronJ from Michigan's list or bwdowiak from Chicago's list.

just give 10 films.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:02 PM   #172088

Jul 2012

I'm fairly new to collecting/watching Criterion movies, but here's my top 10.

10. The Lady Vanishes
9. Night of the Living Dead
8. Robocop
7. Following
6. Pan's Labyrinth
5. Crisis (The Kennedy Films of Robert Drew & Associates)
4. The Devil's Backbone
3. Rebecca
2. Eraserhead
1. 12 Angry Men
Thanks given by:
CrossRhodes94 (12-17-2017), The Great Owl (12-12-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 09:07 PM   #172089
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Jul 2013
Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellOilJunior View Post
I agree. Lists without context don't do anything for me. When I see pages and pages of lists I skip over them. Many of the films in the collection are already recognized world classics so seeing them appear on someone's list is not surprising.

I think something that would be more constructive is adding why one enjoys these films. I believe in Howard Hawks' theory that a great movie will have 3 scenes that really stand out and are unforgettable.

For example, The Red Shoes:

1. The dazzling ballet sequence
2. "Why do you want to live?" (For me this is the easiest way to describe the film - it's topic sentence)
3. Julian and Vicky in a heated argument. The camera shifts to Boris with a devilish grin on his face.
Lord, it's been way too long since I've watched The Red Shoes. I truly need to change that, soon.

I had never heard that theory by Hawks, but that makes a lot of sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwdowiak View Post
or your top 10 films.

there's a lot of things I can eat for lunch, too, but that doesn't make the decision making process that difficult. pastrami on rye's feelings won't be hurt and neither will the films that get left off of AaronJ from Michigan's list or bwdowiak from Chicago's list.

just give 10 films.
I can't. I mean, I've done it in the past but ... I really have no idea where to start. Now, my Top 10 Criterion releases I can do, but that's because I would address it as what are my favorite 10 releases based on more than the quality of the film -- things like extra features, packaging, artwork, booklet and the quality of the essay contained. etc.

I just haven't gotten around to it, yet.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:15 PM   #172090

Nov 2012

My Top 11 (in no order):
Eraserhead
The Royal Tenenbaums
Modern Times
Hausu
Brazil
The Fisher King
Gojira
Mulholland Drive
The Life Aquatic
Following
Breathless
Thanks given by:
CrossRhodes94 (12-17-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 09:21 PM   #172091
Expert Member

May 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctzalman View Post
just received monterey pop in the mail. i thought i had ordered the complete set, but it is the standard release. i checked my amazon account, i was def in error. however, now that i'm looking into the differences, i'm a bit unsure as to the contents. dvdbeaver's review makes it sound like the complete edition has a bonus disc of content, in addition to the Jimi/Otis disc:

however, the criterion.com page shows the standard release as a two-disc set, and it shows the two hours of bonus footage as extra content. looking at criterion and this site, it appears the only difference between the two sets (other than packaging), is that the complete set contains the Jimi/Otis disc...? Can anyone confirm if that is the case?

i've already got the old set from 2009, and it looks like the Jimi/Otis disc are identical between the new and old releases. if that's the case, it looks like my error with amazon was actually rather fortuitous.
I don't have it yet, but The Complete Monterey Pop Festival has 3 discs:

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-C...9/#Screenshots

Looks like the 2 hours of extra footage gets its own BD, which I assume is also the case in the 2-disc Monterey Pop.

I think Beaver's description is confused. Hendrix and Redding appear in the main documentary, and their respective complete performances in the third disc of The Complete Monterey Pop Festival.

Last edited by Reddington; 12-12-2017 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 12-12-2017, 10:04 PM   #172092
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Jul 2013
Michigan

OK, here is a preliminary Top 10 Criterions. These are ones I own, and I'm limiting it to Blu-rays. This was very difficult btw. In no order:

Breathless
Mulholland Dr.
The Before Trilogy
Persona
3 Films by Roberto Rossellini Starring Ingrid Bergman
L’Avventura
Dekalog
Last Year at Marienbad
Rosemary’s Baby
Che
Thanks given by:
CrossRhodes94 (12-17-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 10:26 PM   #172093

Jan 2014

Maybe this has been talked about before, but I wonder what Criterion title people have been most disappointed with, at least regarding the amount/quality of special features? For me, it would be Heaven's Gate - it was great to have the movie restored and in high def, but the special features were sparse and very much a letdown (understandable, given that Michael Cimino had to approve everything and probably didn't want any of the features to address the movie's financial issues).
Old 12-12-2017, 11:05 PM   #172094

Jan 2012
Send a message via AIM to Ctzalman Send a message via Skype™ to Ctzalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddington View Post
I don't have it yet, but The Complete Monterey Pop Festival has 3 discs:

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-C...9/#Screenshots

Looks like the 2 hours of extra footage gets its own BD, which I assume is also the case in the 2-disc Monterey Pop.

I think Beaver's description is confused. Hendrix and Redding appear in the main documentary, and their respective complete performances in the third disc of The Complete Monterey Pop Festival.
i believe that the Monterey Pop Festival film has abridged 'highlights' of each artist's set. In the old set, there was a separate disc containing "Jimi Plays Monterey" and "Shake! Otis at Monterey," which contains their full performances.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:14 PM   #172095
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Patient View Post
Maybe this has been talked about before, but I wonder what Criterion title people have been most disappointed with, at least regarding the amount/quality of special features? For me, it would be Heaven's Gate - it was great to have the movie restored and in high def, but the special features were sparse and very much a letdown (understandable, given that Michael Cimino had to approve everything and probably didn't want any of the features to address the movie's financial issues).
"Final Cut: The Making and Unmaking of Heaven's Gate" would have been incredible to have on that disc, but obviously Cimino would never have approved of that.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:32 PM   #172096

Jul 2014

Quote:
Stalker for sure, especially because it is such a high-profile title.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:33 PM   #172097

Jan 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja345 View Post
"Final Cut: The Making and Unmaking of Heaven's Gate" would have been incredible to have on that disc, but obviously Cimino would never have approved of that.
Yeah, and it's too bad (the doc wasn't quite as good as the book Final Cut, but it was still really good). I also read that a feature that discussed the real Johnson County War was also deleted from the Criterion edition.

Still, even a relatively weak Criterion edition is usually more loaded than a typical studio offering (although even Criterion can't compete with the Blade Runner 5-disc or the Wizard of Oz 70th anniversary edition).
Old 12-13-2017, 12:36 AM   #172098
Expert Member

Jul 2011

Quote:
Considering the titles I thought the special features for Gilda and The Palm Beach Story were quite disappointing.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:37 AM   #172099

Nov 2016

[QUOTE=cropduster;14453412]Mill Creek released a blu-ray of 5000 Fingers of Dr T last June.

Yeah, I bought that one too and just traded it. I was kind of hoping it might be a Night of the Living Dead or a Dr Strangelove situation, but its probably wishful thinking on my part. Such a weird clue for Othello but I guess there have been weirder clues ...
Old 12-13-2017, 12:46 AM   #172100
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Jul 2013
Michigan

Quote:
Yeah, and it's too bad (the doc wasn't quite as good as the book Final Cut, but it was still really good). I also read that a feature that discussed the real Johnson County War was also deleted from the Criterion edition.
I wonder why?

Or is it obvious, and I'm an idiot?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors