COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Prisoners (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Vincent Price Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.49
Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$158.69
In the Mouth of Madness (Blu-ray)
$9.49
Saw: The Complete Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$64.99
V/H/S/2 (Blu-ray)
$11.99
Leprechaun: The Complete Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.49
Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$24.99
V/H/S/2 (Blu-ray)
$13.49
Game of Thrones: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$39.96
Between the Buried and Me: Future Sequence - Live at the Fidelitorium (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Amityville Horror Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$33.49
The Haunting (Blu-ray)
$9.49
TerrorVision / The Video Dead (Blu-ray)
$11.49
Maleficent (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Hell of the Living Dead / Rats: Night of Terror (Blu-ray)
$16.49
The Final Terror (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Step Up All In (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Players

Old 12-14-2010, 04:25 AM   #1
Expert Member

Oct 2006
Default do all 3d blu-ray movies play in a 2d player?

Do all 3d blu-ray movies play in a 2d blu-ray player? Just curious, because I will eventually go 3d, but may buy a movie I like in 3d for future use.
JVC RS40 projector / 118 inch Carada screen
Panasonic BDT-500 3D blu-ray player
Yamaha 1800 receiver
Infinity Primus 360 front towers
Infinity Beta C360 center speaker
4 Infinity 160 surround speakers
SVS PC 13 Ultra sub
Old 12-14-2010, 01:52 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2008
Deatsville, Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by ay221 View Post
Do all 3d blu-ray movies play in a 2d blu-ray player? Just curious, because I will eventually go 3d, but may buy a movie I like in 3d for future use.
Right now all the 3D Blurays play in all 3D Bluray players. There may be firmware upgrades required for certain machines though. I haven't had any problems playing 3d movies on my PS3 or standalone Sony 3D Bluray player.
Hope that helps.
Home Theater...
Mits WD-65638 65" 1080p DLP 3D HDTV w/3D Starter Kit, DirectTV HD 5 tuner DVR w/ 1TB HD, Onkyo TX-SR508 7.1 3D Rcvr, Sony BDP-S470 3D BR player, PS3 slim 160g, Xbox360 Elite w/Kinect, Wii, Surround: Polk Mon 50's, 30's, Center & Sub, Harmony One, Apple MacMini HTPC,
My Star Wars Room"The Outer Rim" http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gal...&folderid=2438
Old 12-14-2010, 02:46 PM   #3

Feb 2009
Atlanta, GA

Kinda, sorta. Some 3D movies have the 2D option locked, but they also come with a 2D version of the film on a separate disk.
HDTV: Sony Bravia KDL-40V3000
AVR: Sony STR-DG1200
BDP: Sony BDP-S350
DVR: Tivo Premiere
Gaming: Xbox360 (Falcon), Wii
Sound Stage: Three(3) Paradigm Reference Millenia 20
Surrounds: Two(2) Sony SA-VE??? Sats
Real-Sub: One(1) Hsu VTF-2 MK3
Old 12-14-2010, 03:43 PM   #4
Special Member

Aug 2007
North Potomac, MD

It depends on the firmware in the 3D player. My HP laptop can play 2D Blu-ray discs but will not recognize a 3D disc with the built in player, yet it works fine with Cyberlink 3D software
Old 12-19-2010, 04:17 PM   #5
Special Member

Dec 2010

i actually had the same question because i was looking at piranha 3d and it said "This Blu-ray disc will display only in 2D without special hardware. To watch this movie in Blu-ray 3D, you will need a 3D-capable television that comes with active-shutter glasses and a 3D-capable Blu-ray player." So i was guessing it will play on a normal player but in 2d
Old 12-19-2010, 05:41 PM   #6
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
Savannah, GA
Send a message via MSN to tommyboy81 Send a message via Yahoo to tommyboy81

if i remember right when I rented The Final Destination the disc was a flip disc. 2-D on one side and 3-D on the other. I thought I put it on the 2-D side but it was 3D side. I think the 3-D on that movie was for the red/blue lens glasses and not the ones now

Edit: Think it was a DVD also.
[Home Theater Setup

TV: Panasonic 50ST50 Plasma
Receiver: Denon 1712 *new*
Front Speakers: Polk Monitor 50's
Center: Polk CS10 *new*
Surrounds: Yamaha NX-220P
Sub: SVS SB-1000 *new*
Old 12-19-2010, 08:33 PM   #7
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Mostly yes.

1) Fifa world cup won't play in a 2D player, Sony had to disallow it since a different company has the 2D rights.

2) In some sets (like Disney's Christmas Carol) there is a 2D and 3D and the 3D won't play in 2D, but you have the 2D disk for that, so you can still buy the 3D movie.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:59 PM   #8

Aug 2008

Yes, FIFA is one exception, and the version of 'Deep Sea 3D' that was available earlier exclusively with one of the manufacturers (the one available in the shops plays fine in 2D). There was one more exception, but I forgot which one that was. But for the rest: don't worry, they will play fine
Old 12-20-2010, 07:14 PM   #9

Oct 2008
Houston,TX.
Send a message via Yahoo to TigredelaJungla

I'm about to close the deal on a new Samsung Plasma that comes with the Shrek 3D package but I also bought the Shrek Whole Story set which is 2D, can anybody confirm that the 3D Shrek blus can be watched on 2D also? If so, I can sell them before I open the quadrilogy , if not, I might just keep them. Anybony knows for sure?
Receiver: Onkyo 805 / Display: Samsung PN63C8000
Fronts: Polk Monitor 70 / Center: Polk CS2
Surrounds: Polk OWM3 7.1/ Subwoofer 2 BIC VK-12 / Oppo BDP-93
Old 12-20-2010, 08:25 PM   #10

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigredelaJungla View Post
can anybody confirm that the 3D Shrek blus can be watched on 2D also?
Maybe you'd want to post this question in the Shrek-3D topic, but from what I've read, it plays fine in 2D also.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:05 AM   #11

Dec 2010
Default Despicable Me 3D BD

So, I found thing thread wondering the same thing:

Since a 3D movie is both the left and right eyes, the 2D movie is inherently already there....... so why a separate disc for 3D and 2D BD?

I have a 1080i CRT RPTV w/a PS3 connected via HDMI. I put the Despicable Me 3D BD in, and it fired up right away, and even prompted me to choose between 3D and 2D playback (later from the pop-out menu I tried to go to 3D mode, and it said I didn't have all required devices (i.e. display, etc, which is true). But the point being, it had an option to and played back fine in 2D.

So is this because the PS3 is capable of playing 3D BD that it was able to handle playing it back in 2D? Or would this 3D BD have worked the same way and worked for 2D playback in a standard non-3D capable BD player?

Personally, I think it's just another way for the studios to justify higher prices for 3D BD by "giving" you the 2D BD on a separate disc, then the DVD and "Digital Copy"....... (4 discs in the case of Despicable Me and Christmas Carol).

Mike
Old 12-27-2010, 03:24 PM   #12

Jan 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldChain View Post
So, I found thing thread wondering the same thing:

Since a 3D movie is both the left and right eyes, the 2D movie is inherently already there....... so why a separate disc for 3D and 2D BD?

I have a 1080i CRT RPTV w/a PS3 connected via HDMI. I put the Despicable Me 3D BD in, and it fired up right away, and even prompted me to choose between 3D and 2D playback (later from the pop-out menu I tried to go to 3D mode, and it said I didn't have all required devices (i.e. display, etc, which is true). But the point being, it had an option to and played back fine in 2D.

So is this because the PS3 is capable of playing 3D BD that it was able to handle playing it back in 2D? Or would this 3D BD have worked the same way and worked for 2D playback in a standard non-3D capable BD player?

Personally, I think it's just another way for the studios to justify higher prices for 3D BD by "giving" you the 2D BD on a separate disc, then the DVD and "Digital Copy"....... (4 discs in the case of Despicable Me and Christmas Carol).

Mike

Actually, there are two possible reasons why 2D playback is locked out on some 3D discs.

1: The money excuse

2: The quality. When you play back the 2D image of a 3D file, it's just playing one of the eyes. This means that it may show up stuff not meant to be seen. One such is the portion of 3D window (The moving black bars on the side). If you view a 3D disc in 2D, sometimes, you'll see a black bar creep in a little or a lot from the side. This bothers some consumers quite a lot. Another thing that could be shown up by 2D playback of a 3D image is a 'halo' around objects. This is most commonly seen on moives that were converted into 3D.
3D Kit: Toshiba 42VL863B and Sony S480 BD 3D Player

Last edited by BD3Dfan; 12-27-2010 at 03:33 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:41 AM   #13

Apr 2008
Default OLD THREAD I KNOW..... lol

Ok, I understand from reading other posts, that 3D BD disc will often play "fine" or will "work" ie: play the movie.

That said, if you had 1 movie say, example: Priest.

One is the edition sold is the 3D BD version that will apparently "play" in 2D

OR you have the other edition sold with 2D BD/DVD option only. I dont see a 3D BD/DVD combo.

ANyway, since I dont want to double dip and the 3D is less than $10 more I wanted to buy the 3D. (That being said, I hear the 3D is not very good, but wth)

Finally, To my question lol.

Will you be able to SEE any difference between the 3D disc playing in "2D Mode" and the regular BD disc. (any blurryness/black bars etc or normal video BD quality) I would prefer to have both 3D and regular versions, but if the 2D video presentation is less than the normal BD counter part, I will just forego the 3D version since its not supposed to be very good.

SOrry for the long explaining post, but was just trying to be clear on what I meant/was asking.

THanks a lot!

IF it matters, I have a samsung v8000 3D plasma and Samsung 3D BD player.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:33 PM   #14

Nov 2011

Hello

This is a great forum to learn about Blu ray and I always have been reading a lot to get info. Right now I have a small query before I make an investment and I hope you can help me out

I have a samsung 3dtv . I also have some 3d Blu ray which I got along with it. My question as follows

I was planning to invest in an internal/external Blu ray drive with 3d capabilities like the Asus one to playback 3d movies. as I gather information it came to my knowledge that 3d movies on Blu ray use frame sequential packing and this signal is directly read by the 3dtv which then as per its make streams individual image to the 3d glass. The 3d Blu ray players [standalone] stream this data via the HDMI cable. My query is

1>If I buy an internal/external BD writer and install in my pc and play the 3d blu ray disc from it will it stream the same signal to my 3dtv. If so will the 3dtv directly understand those signal . I am asking this after searching on the net but found no specific pin point answer to my query. All info is centered around displaying BD movies on Pc and the 3d movies which are available are converted to SBS version where the horizontal resolution is reduced. This has to be again merged via the 3d SBS option on the TV
However i read that the tru 3d movies on blu ray pack the frames in sequential manner. So will the 3dtv directly understand this signal because in the PC mode the Tv becomes effectively part of the computing and only reacts to signals sent by the graphic card

I have windows 7, Maximus 2 formula Asus, 4Gb DDR2 and ATI Radeon 4870 1Gb DDr5 mem

2>If the signals may not be decoded than is it advisable for me to buy a standalone 3dbd player

3>a noob question, since external bd drive have usb interface , if i hook them to my 3dtv straight away will the tv read from it or these drives MUST BE read only through a compatible PC

I have no intention of burning Bd disc. My only requirement is playback of 3d content. However adding a standalone player adds clutter to my space so an internal external drive may solve my problem.

I hope someone can shed light on my query and help me invest wisely

Mods plerase do the needful if I have posted in wrong thread
Old 11-25-2011, 12:07 AM   #15

May 2010
Knoxville, TN

I have a similar question myself. I just got my first 3D playback software: Corel WinDVD Pro 11. It's supposed to help me watch my several 3D Blu-rays; however, it won't play my 3D Blu-ray of Bolt!

My settings are as follows:
*Windows 7 OS
*Nvidia Geforce 310M
*Intel Core i3 @ 2.27 GHz
*4 GB RAM
Old 11-25-2011, 03:22 PM   #16
Special Member

Aug 2007
North Potomac, MD

It appears some Blu-rays disks are encoded to only play in 3D. So even if you have a 3D Blu-ray player but it is hooked up to a 2D TV is will not play. This is true of the latest Harry Potter movie and probabley a lot of other movies that give you both a 3D version and a 2D Blu-ray version.

Last edited by PaulGo; 11-26-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:30 PM   #17

May 2010
Knoxville, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post
It appears some Blu-rays disks are encoded to only play in 3D. So even if you have a 3D Blu-ray player but it is hooked up to a 2D TV it will not play. This is true of the latest Harry Potter movie and probabley a lot of other movies that give you both a 3D version and a 2D Blu-ray version.
This happens to me even when I turn my 3D settings on.

Last edited by ryanasaurus0077; 08-31-2012 at 03:07 AM.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:03 PM   #18

Dec 2011
UK

just recieved Titanic on Bluray 3D. I much prefer the apect ratio of the 3D version and would love to watch it in 2D. I have been able to accomplish this on my 3D TV. However I would like to know is it possible to play the 3D Version in 2D on a 2D TV with a 2D Bluray player?
Old 09-10-2012, 04:15 AM   #19

Feb 2010
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by obiwopkenobi62 View Post
Right now all the 3D Blurays play in all 3D Bluray players. There may be firmware upgrades required for certain machines though. I haven't had any problems playing 3d movies on my PS3 or standalone Sony 3D Bluray player.
Hope that helps.
I guess his question was that if played in 2D player it shall play as 2D even if it is a 3D BLURAY? Am I right?
Old 01-15-2013, 05:16 PM   #20

Jan 2013

I want to know too
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Players