Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Flash: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Supergirl: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Tenth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Gotham: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Supernatural: The Complete Twelfth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Beguiled (Blu-ray)
$6.49
Monty Python and the Holy Grail (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Planet of the Apes Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Sherlock: Season Four (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Star Trek Beyond 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Planet of the Apes Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 02-19-2013, 05:10 AM   #1

Jun 2011
Everett, WA
Default Great Bookshelf speakers Under $600

Hello there fellow audio inclined enthusiasts!
So I recently moved my AV123 towers into the office/playroom to make it the office/playroom/listening room for Hifi. Well so I was using some Pioneer bookshelf speakers in the office as computer speakers. Now that they are switched they are ok but I would like to get something with a little more presence/room fill.

So here are the restrictions:

They need to be bookshelf speakers. The reason I moved the towers is because they kept being knocked over by my children and the thought of 60 lbs speakers falling is a little scary.

They are going into the living room which opens to the dining room, kitchen and hall way; so a lot of room.

My budget can probably be about $600 but south of that would be good.

I am currently running two identical center channels with metal dome tweeters. I am not to worried about matching the fronts as even though the towers were the same brand, the family of speakers were different. I was thinking about B&W 685 or PSB Image B6s. Any advise on some speakers that would do well for music and movies would be great. I would say these speakers would be primarily for movies with some music duties. 70/30.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
TV/Bluray Player LG OLED 9500 55, PS3 Slim 120 Gb, Elite DV-47A (SACD)
Receiver Yamaha RX A1000,
SpeakersDefinitive Technology Mythos ST, Mythos Ten, Promonitor 1000
Sub Klipsch RT 10D,
HiFi Setup
Speakers: Wharfdale Diamond 10.1, Marantz SR5004, Player: Xbox One, Windows10 laptop using JRiver
Old 02-19-2013, 05:41 AM   #2
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

The following are all factory direct speaker companies. They make very good speakers and sell them at reasonable prices. My favorite company is Iky Audio. If you buy their speakers, you will never have to go to the bathroom.

In addition to the following, there are hundreds of other companies that make great bookshelf speakers. It is best to visit a few audio dealers and audition as many as you can.

The list is in alphabetical order.

Axiom:
http://www.axiomaudio.com/bookshelf-speakers

Aperion:
http://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers...lite-bookshelf

Crystal Audio:
http://www.crystalaudiovideo.com/Pro...helf-pair.aspx

Emotiva:
http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/...products/xrm61

EMP Tek:
http://www.emptek.com/e5bi.php

Home Theater Direct (HTD):
http://www.htd.com/Products/level-th...shelf-Speakers

Hsu Research:
http://www.hsuresearch.com/speakers.html

Iky Audio:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ikymagoo?ref=top_trail

Occam Audio:
http://www.occamaudio.com/finishedPayPal.html

RSL:
http://rslspeakers.com/store/rsl-cg4-25.html

Streem:
http://www.streemspeakers.com/bp-200.asp

Swan:
http://www.theaudioinsider.com/manuf...s.php/mPath/10

Tekton Design:
http://www.tektondesign.com/loudspeaker.htm
HT Room: Panasonic PT-AE8000, Epson 1080UB Proj., Mitsubishi 65" Diamond Series HD TV, Yamaha-RX-A3010 Rec., CinePro 6-Ch. Amp. (350 W/Ch, 8 Ohm), Proton D1200 Amp., Behringer EP4000 & EPX3000 Amps., Oppo BDP-83, Sony BDP-S790, Audio Technica Tuntable, Mitsubishi S-VHS, 2 Def. Tech. Super Towers w 15" subs, 1 Def. Tech. Center & 1 Martin-Logan Center, 2 Def. Tech. Surr. & 2 PSB Surr., 2 Cadence Presence, 2 Bose 901 Rears, 2 Modified HSU 12" Subs, 1 ED DIY 12" Sub, 1 ED DIY 15" Sub, Velodyne SMS-1 Subwoofer Equalizer, DirecTV HD, Monster HTS 5000 & APC H15 Power Conditioners.
Two-Channel Room: XiangSheng Tube Preamp., Carver TFM-45 Amp. (375 W/Ch), Behringer EPX4000 Amp., Onkyo CD player, Denon Turntable, Yamaha Tuner, 2 Vintage Polk RTA-15TL Speakers, 2 LCY 100 Super Tweeters, 2 DIY Folded Horn Super Towers with 15" Sub., 1 Modified AA HD-SUB12
Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" Diamond Series TV, Yamaha DSP-A3090 Rec., DirecTV HD-DVR, PS3, Zvox Speaker, 1 DIY 12" Sub.

Last edited by Big Daddy; 02-20-2013 at 01:06 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:08 PM   #3

Nov 2012
No. providence, RI

I highly recommend the psb B6. Huge sound for a small speaker. Paired with a good sub (xv15 in my case ) and these things rock. I tell you what I am auditioning aperion verus grand bookshelfs and I will let you know the difference (they come in on Friday) if I fall in love with the grands I would be putting the psb's up for sale so ill let you know
Old 02-19-2013, 01:24 PM   #4

May 2011
Chicago, IL

Sub $500 bookshelf speakers..

1. Bowers & Wilkins 686
2. Monitor Audio BX2
Old 02-19-2013, 03:31 PM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianvillaceran View Post
Sub $500 bookshelf speakers..

1. Bowers & Wilkins 686
2. Monitor Audio BX2
I second the Monitor Audio BX2's. I'm very happy with mine.
Mancave Man

Two Channel
Parasound: JC2, Pass Labs: X150.5,Yamaha: T-85, CDX-5000, YP-D8, Cambridge Audio: 640P, Oppo: BDP-83, Klipsch: Modded Klipschorns.
Home Theater
Panasonic: PT-AE7000U, Elite: TE106HW2, Samsung: LN52B750, Marantz: AV8801, Parasound: 5250 V.2, Oppo: BDP-93, Toshiba: HD-A35, JBL Synthesis: PT800 (4), PC600, PS1400 (2), HTPS400 (4)
Old 02-19-2013, 03:37 PM   #6
Suspended

Jul 2007
Miami, FL
Send a message via AIM to JJ Send a message via Yahoo to JJ

I'm recommending the Aperion Audio Verus Grand.

http://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers...kshelf-speaker

$699/pr.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:02 PM   #7

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hawkins View Post
Hello there fellow audio inclined enthusiasts!
So I recently moved my AV123 towers into the office/playroom to make it the office/playroom/listening room for Hifi. Well so I was using some Pioneer bookshelf speakers in the office as computer speakers. Now that they are switched they are ok but I would like to get something with a little more presence/room fill.

So here are the restrictions:

They need to be bookshelf speakers. The reason I moved the towers is because they kept being knocked over by my children and the thought of 60 lbs speakers falling is a little scary.

They are going into the living room which opens to the dining room, kitchen and hall way; so a lot of room.

My budget can probably be about $600 but south of that would be good.

I am currently running two identical center channels with metal dome tweeters. I am not to worried about matching the fronts as even though the towers were the same brand, the family of speakers were different. I was thinking about B&W 685 or PSB Image B6s. Any advise on some speakers that would do well for music and movies would be great. I would say these speakers would be primarily for movies with some music duties. 70/30.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Will you be using a Sub? My son just bought some BagEnd M6 monitors in Merecedes Black automotive finish. He wants to sell is Swan 2.1s for $250.00 shipped. He bought the Bagend's for a steal (280.00) they retail for 729.00 each - and that's without the custom finish!
Infinity Comp Prelude P-FR, Infinity Comp Overture 1 - center & front hght, 2 Infinity QPS-1 side, Infinty P-QPS rear hght, Infinity fps-1000 rear, Infinity Outrigger Jr. overheads, 2 AE AV15 Power Cube subwoofers, SVS 16-46 CS (X2) 2 DCM Subs (rear), Denon AVR-X4300H (front hght and Prepro), Yamaha MX-830 (rear hght), B&K 200.7 Reference Amp, Behringer NU4-6000 (subs),miniDSP 2X4, BD HTPC, Tube DAC, NAS 20tb , Da-lite 16:9 106", Vivitek hk2288 4k proj, TCL Roku 4K TV.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:09 PM   #8

May 2011
Chicago, IL

If you are interested with the MA BX2, a dealer in Chicago has a B-stock for $389/pair. You can check it out here http://saturdayaudio.com
Old 02-19-2013, 08:53 PM   #9

Jun 2011
Everett, WA
Default Thanks!

Big Daddy - Comprehensive reply as always. I went through each of the listed links that you sent me. Very cool. I had not heard of Occam before. Those are some pretty speakers.

Out of the speakers listed any stand out to you specifically?

Great suggestion by the way of going to a local audio shop. I had gotten so wrapped up on getting something online to get a "Deal" that I forgot about that option. I got my towers from a local audio shop called Hawthorne Audio.

Iky? Hahaha!

rpatt & Ianvillaceran - I see great reviews for the BX2 so that may be a great option. One plus for it as well is that it is front ported. I will be placing these fairly close to the back wall so that may be very handy.

Bmoney - I love the look of the PSB's. I see that yours are mounted to the wall. How close are they and do you notice much of a difference between bringing them out a little and where they are now? I lean towards these but I have never heard them so its a little hard.

Bmoney & JJ - You are speaking my language with Aperion Audio. I actually have been drooling over Verus Grand Towers for about two years now and half of my posts are asking current owners how they like them. Suprise, they all love them. Would love to pick up a pair of the Bookshelfs but I have had a hard time finding them used anywhere (also a pretty good sign) as they are a bit north of my limit. Alast I have not listened to these either.

Sidenote - Dang it JJ, why does your living room have to look so freaking cool?

prerich - Is this the 2.1se or the original Swans with the dome on top? Is it in the Rosewood finish? Might be interested.

Thanks everybody!
Sub Klipsch RT 10D,
HiFi Setup
Speakers: Wharfdale Diamond 10.1, Marantz SR5004, Player: Xbox One, Windows10 laptop using JRiver
Old 02-19-2013, 09:10 PM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada

Quote:

Bmoney & JJ - You are speaking my language with Aperion Audio. I actually have been drooling over Verus Grand Towers for about two years now and half of my posts are asking current owners how they like them. Suprise, they all love them. Would love to pick up a pair of the Bookshelfs but I have had a hard time finding them used anywhere (also a pretty good sign) as they are a bit north of my limit. Alast I have not listened to these either.

Thanks everybody!
I would not dismiss them even if $100 more, if your CC permits it, you could even order the Verus Forte satellites to test out, 30 days free trial. And you can even compare to others at home. The reason I'm saying not to dismiss them is, like you, I have researched this line profusely with not a bad word, only extremely happy owners and the ones that returned them most often do so for a much more expensive speaker. In Canada we have to pay shipping back if not satisfied which kinda kills the offer. Otherwise I'd be trying some, even if I just want to upgrade later.

Quote:
+ 1 bazillion, top HT here as far as LR setups.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:59 PM   #11
Suspended

Jul 2007
Miami, FL
Send a message via AIM to JJ Send a message via Yahoo to JJ

I don't even HAVE a system or a place to put the Verus Grand bookshelves, and I want them.

Aperion comes so highly recommended across the board, it's the first thing that popped into my mind for you.

And thanks for the comments about my system,
Old 02-19-2013, 10:08 PM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
I don't even HAVE a system or a place to put the Verus Grand bookshelves, and I want them.

Aperion comes so highly recommended across the board, it's the first thing that popped into my mind for you.

And thanks for the comments about my system,
I could pm you a place to store them for a while

And pleasure JJ buddy
Old 02-20-2013, 01:02 AM   #13

Dec 2007

Quote:
Big Daddy - Comprehensive reply as always. I went through each of the listed links that you sent me. Very cool. I had not heard of Occam before. Those are some pretty speakers.

Great suggestion by the way of going to a local audio shop. I had gotten so wrapped up on getting something online to get a "Deal" that I forgot about that option. I got my towers from a local audio shop called Hawthorne Audio.

Iky? Hahaha!

rpatt & Ianvillaceran - I see great reviews for the BX2 so that may be a great option. One plus for it as well is that it is front ported. I will be placing these fairly close to the back wall so that may be very handy.

Bmoney - I love the look of the PSB's. I see that yours are mounted to the wall. How close are they and do you notice much of a difference between bringing them out a little and where they are now? I lean towards these but I have never heard them so its a little hard.

prerich - Is this the 2.1se or the original Swans with the dome on top? Is it in the Rosewood finish? Might be interested.

Thanks everybody!
Original with the dome on top, I believe it's rosewood with black lacquer trim.
Infinity Comp Prelude P-FR, Infinity Comp Overture 1 - center & front hght, 2 Infinity QPS-1 side, Infinty P-QPS rear hght, Infinity fps-1000 rear, Infinity Outrigger Jr. overheads, 2 AE AV15 Power Cube subwoofers, SVS 16-46 CS (X2) 2 DCM Subs (rear), Denon AVR-X4300H (front hght and Prepro), Yamaha MX-830 (rear hght), B&K 200.7 Reference Amp, Behringer NU4-6000 (subs),miniDSP 2X4, BD HTPC, Tube DAC, NAS 20tb , Da-lite 16:9 106", Vivitek hk2288 4k proj, TCL Roku 4K TV.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:52 AM   #14
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
Original with the dome on top, I believe it's rosewood with black lacquer trim.
Love the new avatar.
Mancave Man

Two Channel
Parasound: JC2, Pass Labs: X150.5,Yamaha: T-85, CDX-5000, YP-D8, Cambridge Audio: 640P, Oppo: BDP-83, Klipsch: Modded Klipschorns.
Home Theater
Panasonic: PT-AE7000U, Elite: TE106HW2, Samsung: LN52B750, Marantz: AV8801, Parasound: 5250 V.2, Oppo: BDP-93, Toshiba: HD-A35, JBL Synthesis: PT800 (4), PC600, PS1400 (2), HTPS400 (4)
Old 02-20-2013, 01:57 AM   #15

Aug 2011

I may be biased but Canton GLE 426 are great speakers for 600 $. They are hand made in Germany and are of great quality.
If you want take a look at my gallery to get an understanding of the craftsmanship of their speaker ( my speakers however are a few series higher then the gle series , but you can get an idea)
Canton Vento 820.2
Canton Vento 856.2
SVS SB13 Ultra
Yamaha Aventage 810 Reciever, Sony (BDP-370)
Analysis Plus Speaker Wire/ Interconnects
Studer Revox B225 & Parasound ZDAC
Furman Elite 15i
Focal XS Book W/ Calyx DAC
Old 02-20-2013, 01:58 AM   #16

Nov 2012
No. providence, RI

Quote:

Iky? Hahaha!

Thanks everybody!

I have them about 7" from the back wall. They do to sound muddy at all. I have not tried pulling hem out at all as this is the only way Ican have them setup right now. And believe me they are incredible sounding speakers. I am only trying the aperions due to curiosity. I like you have read only positives so I have to try hem myself. And being free and no risk why not?

Going back to the psb's I to a blind leap of faith with them and am blown away by them. Zero regrets!
Old 02-20-2013, 02:41 AM   #17

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpatt View Post
Love the new avatar.
Thought you might appreciate it
Old 02-21-2013, 07:47 PM   #18

Jun 2011
Everett, WA

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the posts. The internet has been down at my house (Comcast Maintenance tech had put a filter on my line as apparently I was feeding noise back into the system. Filter killed my signal back upstream ) for a couple of days otherwise I would have responded sooner.

I am going to be stoping by an few Audio shops on Saturday to see if I can listen to as many bookshelfs that we mentioned here. I am going to stop by the Original (ish) Magnolia HiFi and Hawthorne.

I don't think I am going to buy anything yet but who knows? Maybe I will hear something and wont be able to pass up the deal. Either way I will post back. If anyone has any more suggestions on speakers I am all ears.

Thanks!
Sub Klipsch RT 10D,
HiFi Setup
Old 02-22-2013, 03:45 AM   #19
Contributor

Apr 2009
Corner Totem Rd. and Sugden Ave., Arcam Shire

I will recommend the Dali Zensor 1. With the Experience I had with the Ikon 5 and the Lektor 6 I would assume this Zesor One offers tremendous value at $475.

You can read the Stereophile review. If you are looking for some great musicality the Zensor will certainly sing.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/d...-1-loudspeaker
Olivier
Panasonic TC-65CX800U 4K
Oppo BDP-203 4K, Bel Canto 3.5vb DAC
,Anthem MRX 520 Receiver, Naim 250DR /NAC272, Totem Fires Dusk L/R on Target MR20, Dynaudio C-30, Totem Tribe III Dusk on wall Center, Totem Mites Dusk Surrounds, JL Audio Fathom f113 Gloss Black. Naim NACA5, Nordost, Bis Audio, Audioquest
, Totem Forest Signature.
Wadia 151 Power DAC Mini, Dynaudio X-18.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:01 AM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2007
Indianapolis, IN

Music Direct has the Focal 706 Chorus speaker for $499.
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-41246-f...eakers-pr.aspx
There is the ARX 1b, Paradigm Mini Monitor, HTD Level 3's. I second Oiliver's recommendation of the Dali's, too. Almost forgot to mention Wharfdale and Monitor Audio Bronze and Silver.
Cliff
LG 42LN5300, PS3-160GB, PS4-500GB, Sony UBP-X800, JVC VCR(which still works), Yamaha RX-A700, Velodyne VX-11, Ascend Acoustics CBM-170's(L/R) and CMT-340C, Athena AS-B1's for surrounds.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers